Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #441
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Lhuna, how would it be if Randvér's arrival were a month off? I'm hoping to skip time to early August with the next "official" Day.
A month later? Will there be still any work left to be done by then? Because supposedly that's Randvér's reason for coming over: to help his friend out with getting settled. I mean, aside from the obvious of checking how Ginna's doing.

But if not, it's okay. Sure, Randvér can just arrive after the time skip.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #442
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
A month later? Will there be still any work left to be done by then? Because supposedly that's Randvér's reason for coming over: to help his friend out with getting settled. I mean, aside from the obvious of checking how Ginna's doing.

But if not, it's okay. Sure, Randvér can just arrive after the time skip.
Well, let's see here. The following may be considered a rough description of one possiblity, nothing set in stone, but it should help give a sense of how long things take.

July 9: set up paddock and cut wood and make tents for families
July 10: improve paddock and find more wood because not enough was found 7/9, and finish those family tents too much playing by boys and not enough adults around kept from getting made
July 11: start picking through the ruins, find more wood, start hauling stones, say 5 per day to keep Garstan busy shaping them
July 12-15: continue picking through ruins and dumping what is beyond use
July 16: take stock of wood and make plans how to use it; keep clearing ruins
July 17: discover stairs down to basement of ruins
July 18-24: carefully clear basement beneath ruins
July 25: start building smithy that Harreld has been altogether too patient waiting for
July 28: finish smithy
July 29: celebrate finished smithy and cleared ruins
July 30-August 8: continue to haul stones for Garstan to shape, cut and shape wood according to plans
August 9: celebrate the finishing of the stone shaping and wood preparing and set plans to build the Hall.

And guess what: I've probably rushed a few steps. So I think that August 9 will not be too far in the future.

By the way, if anyone has more knowledgable ideas in regard to the above timeline, please speak up.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #443
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Crabannan's just run into Eodwine and Company.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #444
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I hope that the singular of "Rohirrim" is "Rohir." If not, then I just coined a word.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #445
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rohir is a Gondorian term for, I think, "horserider". That's off the top of my head. But rest assured, Tolkien coined the word.

The "Rohirrim" refer to themselves as the Eorlingas. Singular: Eorling.

By the way, Gwath, Eodwine is about 6 ft one inch, Whereas Harreld is 6 ft 4, and bigger of build.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-30-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #446
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
As lmp said, Rohir is indeed the singular for Rohirrim.

It is, however, Elvish - the Sindarin singular for Horse-lord ( roch = horse; hîr = lord from Hiswelókë's Sindarin dictionary).
Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #447
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Well, good. It seemed right, but I couldn't remember actually reading it anywhere.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #448
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I got a post started today... I thought I was going to have an hour to write when I ended up only having about 10 min. So that'll either be up late tonight if I'm not too tired or tomorrow morning.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #449
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
This is looking absolutely great! Interesting new characters and the old ones seem to be in a good shape (the kids and their fight was plain hilarious!).

So I finally managed to read it all. I'll be sending a post soon on Stigend and the venture for wood. If Lommy can't write something soon I may take Cnebba and continue that scene as well.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #450
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'd like RPing advice from the more experienced writers (i.e. everybody except maybe Groin ). I want to get the hang of this, but I keep feeling like my posts aren't always as effective or helpful as they could be...so any suggestions that you think I might find useful, anything at all, would be welcome.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #451
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll keep that in mind, Gwathagor.

Nogrod, I would greatly appreciate it if you could write for Cnebba (and maybe Garmund some, too). I wrote Lommy a PM and she said it was impossible for her to write anything right now and to pester you if I really wanted a post about the boys. So, here's my pestering. Please write something.

-- Foley
Old 07-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #452
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I know I should post next, but I won't be able to for a few days. I'll be without electricity and internet until next Wednesday (without plumbing, too, for that matter), and we were busy packing last night. I'll post as soon as I get back. So long.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #453
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I'd like RPing advice from the more experienced writers (i.e. everybody except maybe Groin ). I want to get the hang of this, but I keep feeling like my posts aren't always as effective or helpful as they could be...so any suggestions that you think I might find useful, anything at all, would be welcome.
Here's my advice:

#1) Don't take this too seriously.

#2) Live inside your character's skin; see things from his perspective.

#3) Since you're already doing #2, refer back to #1.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #454
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
One added piece of advice:

Engage other writers by letting your character to interact with them. Making posts together with someone is the finest hour of that practise but it can be relatively light as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #455
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
I'd like RPing advice from the more experienced writers (i.e. everybody except maybe Groin ).
1) Elempi is an invaluable mentor. Cherish him and his advice.

2) Write. Advice is great, but the only way you can learn how to write is to do it. And remember, there's no such thing as bad writing: only writing that could use a hug.

3) When you're stuck on what to write, think about what you would want to read.

4) You already nailed the fourth: don't be afraid to ask for advice. That doesn't mean you have to take it, but the more ideas floating around, the easier it is to be creative.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #456
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My apologies to all - especially to Folwren. I thought I could post something while I was in the countryside but I just wasn't able to. Now I'm back here and able to post, hopefully today, if not, then tomorrow. Since Nogrod has been just as useless as I I'll talk with him about which of us wants/ first has the chance to write Cnebba&Gramund so that Foley can finally continue.

I'm so glad to see everybody has been active and written great posts. I really chuckled aloud here.

PS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
2) Write. Advice is great, but the only way you can learn how to write is to do it. And remember, there's no such thing as bad writing: only writing that could use a hug.
Awww. Fea, you know, I'd love to have you as my teacher.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #457
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
PS. Awww. Fea, you know, I'd love to have you as my teacher.
I was lucky to have the amazing teachers I did and still do have. Anything you want to learn that I can help you with, just let me know.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #458
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I wasn't expecting you back, Fea. Yet here you are. Are you just paying a visist, or do you want to write for a character here?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #459
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I wasn't expecting you back, Fea. Yet here you are. Are you just paying a visist, or do you want to write for a character here?
I wasn't expecting to come back, but my life took on a pace I'm unused to. Basically, working 40 hours a week, writing a novel, creating a portfolio of paintings, and otherwise functioning isn't enough to keep me busy. I came back for a werewolf game to exercise my critical thinking a little, but with your question, now I'm tempted. Writing by myself can be a very lonely pastime.

I haven't written here in so long, though, that I have no idea what's going on any more. And any writing I do wouldn't be long term. Maybe until the end of summer?

If somebody wouldn't mind catching me up and nobody would mind a summer long character cameo, I'd love to play a little. You know me: I need projects. A bored Fea is a downright dangerous Fea.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #460
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I posted and once again it took far less time and effort than I expected.

Foley, you may now continue as you wish - I can see about a dozen of different ways to continue. I'm quite sure Cnebba and Garmund should sooner or later be chastised (is that a word, and the correct form?) for harboring grudges and accusing Javan of things Eodwine has already pardoned. Which is only fun, but it need not happen now. I'm dreading a second fist fight...

Lastly, in case that it's unclear to someone, Cnebba is seriously overestimating his injuries. His nose is definitely not broken and he has no need to see the healer at all. He's just a silly little boy.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #461
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry for double-posting, but I thought this might be of interest:

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 161
User Name Posts
littlemanpoet 48
Folwren 28
Groin Redbeard 14
Firefoot 13
Thinlómien 10
Gwathagor 10
Eönwë 9
Lhunardawen 9
shaggydog 8
Nogrod 8
Kath 3
piosenniel 1

I'm not sure if this is very bright. Gwath has as many posts as I do even though he just joined. And losing LMP looks rather depressing in this light. Hmmm... maybe I should just enjoy the fact that our newest writers are very active (I truly think it's great) and comfort myself with the thought that from now on, the next "innkeepers", ie Nogrod and I, will have a lot more time in their hands.

(Even though, I maybe have to say this now already. I'll be absent from July 23rd to August 10th or something like that. Blame summer cottages with no net access and foreigner friends coming to visit. But I'll do my best to be active here before the 23rd.)
Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #462
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
What? No way have I only ... oh, and you mean since it's been Scarburg. Right. In that case I had better get posting soon!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #463
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
In that case I had better get posting soon!
*drone voice* Mission completed.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #464
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Foley, you may now continue as you wish - I can see about a dozen of different ways to continue. I'm quite sure Cnebba and Garmund should sooner or later be chastised (is that a word, and the correct form?) for harboring grudges and accusing Javan of things Eodwine has already pardoned. Which is only fun, but it need not happen now. I'm dreading a second fist fight...
Chastised is a word, and the correct form.

You're dreading a second it? For what reason? It would definitely add some interesting conflict.

I'll think about my next post and will write one as soon as I am able. I am camp now and can't promise anything. Tonight....maybe I'll skip out on Mafia and write a post. That could be fun.

Quote:
Lastly, in case that it's unclear to someone, Cnebba is seriously overestimating his injuries. His nose is definitely not broken and he has no need to see the healer at all. He's just a silly little boy.
Ha! Yes. I figured so. I'm impressed that Javan can throw such a good punch that his nose would still be bleeding.

So I'll post as soon as I'm able.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #465
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
If somebody wouldn't mind catching me up and nobody would mind a summer long character cameo, I'd love to play a little. You know me: I need projects. A bored Fea is a downright dangerous Fea.
Oh! Fea! I didn't know you were even considering writing!

Take Saeryn while you're here if you want to. I plan on continuing her just as soon as I have time (i.e. as soon as I finish camp), but if you're here and wanting to write for her, then do so!

I would certainly not mind you playing just a summer long character. Maybe you could tell us what happened to Degas.

Now, I can't stay. Talk to you all later.

-- Foley
Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #466
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Oh! Fea! I didn't know you were even considering writing!
I wasn't. Elempi accidentally convinced me it was a good idea.

Quote:
Take Saeryn while you're here if you want to.
I don't. I mean, I do, a little, for old times' sake, you know? But not really. She's yours now, and you're doing an amazing job with her (I just read the Scarburg thread), and I had no idea how fun it was going to be to read somebody else's rendition of a character I started. I'm totally caught up in her story and I'm dying to find out what's been going on in her life. Her brother's dead?! She's injured!? She went back to the Folde!? Seriously, I'm absolutely delighted, and can't wait to see what you write next. I completely trust you, and I'm stoked to see where you take her. I'm so glad she's being written at all, much less by somebody as good at it as you.

Quote:
Maybe you could tell us what happened to Degas.
Speaking of that, I was joking with Elempi via PM about him showing up with some vim and vigor and scoping out the ladies and Elempi reminded me of Linduial and I was like . I'd completely forgotten that entire series of events.

So I went back and reread the whole Linduial-kidnapping mini-RPG and was in shock that we wrote that like two years ago. Now I'm reacquainting myself with characters and pondering who I want to have stop by. I was reading what I'd written for Lin's brothers and was like "Oh, Farahil, you're so dreamy..." Me and sailor boys... Really, how can you go wrong with a character modeled after Faramir, a pirate, and a ninja? Heh...

If I bring in Degas, he won't know anything about what's happened in the Folde, so it would be completely legit for me/him to inundate Saeryn/you with questions about what's been happening in her life.

And it might be easier for her to spill to her twin than to Eodwine.

And I think - you're welcome to say "Um, Fea... no." - that it would be fascinating for me to play off of your Saeryn, and perhaps fun for you?

If no, I'll bring in a temp character instead of revisiting an old one.

*pretends I wasn't writing these characters when I was in high school*

Ouch, I feel old.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #467
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Highschool? Dang...me, too.

Quote:
If I bring in Degas, he won't know anything about what's happened in the Folde, so it would be completely legit for me/him to inundate Saeryn/you with questions about what's been happening in her life.

And it might be easier for her to spill to her twin than to Eodwine.

And I think - you're welcome to say "Um, Fea... no." - that it would be fascinating for me to play off of your Saeryn, and perhaps fun for you?
That would be AWESOME! He could finally meet Javan, too! I would love it and it would be very, very much fun.

When do you want him to come? Saeryn is going to wake up eventually... Elempi's wanting to jump a month or so, methinks. Anyway, we'll talk later, I've got to run.

-- Foley
Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #468
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
That would be AWESOME! He could finally meet Javan, too! I would love it and it would be very, very much fun.
So Javan... burnt down the stable? I read a lot (all of Saeryn, a lot of everyone else) but was mostly after basic events since the Mead Hall's turned Scarburg on me. And I didn't read the most recent Mead Hall stuff on the old thread. My quick read through gave me: The stable burned, they went to Edoras to get supplies and stuff, coming back they came across the ruins of Scarburg and decided to set up shop? Am I close?

Quote:
When do you want him to come?
Whenever is convenient for everybody. A month jump would be perfect, I think, to give him an excuse to show up.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #469
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Scarburg is actually about 50 miles from Edoras, more or less north to northeat. King Eomer commanded Eodwine to transfer his Meadhall from the old White Horse Inn to Scarburg, which land he outright gave to Eodwine as reward for the riddance of Sorn. So Eodwine still owns the White Horse Inn in Edoras, but it is being operated by a nameless someone there. Or was it that old guy with his son who he hired on? Sure, why not?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #470
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think Sam put it best whe he said: "Well I'm back."

I'm glad to see that everyone has been busy in my abscence, and I look forward to all the posts that I'm going to read! I'll start as soon as possible and get the hunting party back to camp.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #471
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Scarburg is actually about 50 miles from Edoras, more or less north to northeat. King Eomer commanded Eodwine to transfer his Meadhall from the old White Horse Inn to Scarburg, which land he outright gave to Eodwine as reward for the riddance of Sorn. So Eodwine still owns the White Horse Inn in Edoras, but it is being operated by a nameless someone there. Or was it that old guy with his son who he hired on? Sure, why not?
Gotcha. And is Scarburg actually on a map, or is it a name that's been picked out?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #472
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

It is invented.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #473
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

And here I've been imagining the place the southeast of Edoras... near the mountains-ish. With lots of trees. And that's definitely the sort of place where Scyld's escape took place in the Abduction RPG (according to my posts anyway...). Dang, now I'm going to have to completely reimagine the place. (Well, not entirely the tree part... that's been established.) I hate when this happens.

Last edited by Firefoot; 07-10-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #474
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
And here I've been imagining the place the southeast of Edoras... near the mountains-ish. With lots of trees. And that's definitely the sort of place where Scyld's escape took place in the Abduction RPG (according to my posts anyway...). Dang, now I'm going to have to completely reimagine the place. (Well, not entirely the tree part... that's been established.) I hate when this happens.
Yeah, I actually had the same kind of problem. The description of Scarburg under the holding of Sorn was originally that it was north of Edoras in the West Emnet (or if you like the newly created Middle Emnet), but this rough terrain kept getting described into the Abduction story (perhaps by you, Firefoot), and I just went with it, and so the Scar was created where Tolkien never had such a thing.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #475
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
and so the Scar was created where Tolkien never had such a thing.
Now don't be silly... Of course the Scar was there. Tolkien was just busy with other things and forgot to mention it.

Elempi, will there be a time jump? If so, soon? If not, I'll just sort of jump in.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #476
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Eonwe, are you around? I think we had best wrap up the Dan- Oeric - Scyld scene if any sort of time leap is being contemplated. And correct me if I'm wrong Firefoot but I believe Eonwe needs to post next before you can?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #477
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Yes, though if Eonwe isn't around and able to post I may just take the liberty of putting some words in his mouth for Scyld to overhear and then we can get on with the storyline...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #478
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Do it! Put words in his mouth!

I've posted.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #479
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Do it! Put words in his mouth!
Yes, that would help because Eonwe's post is what I've been waiting for before we could do the time jump.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #480
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Yes, that would help because Eonwe's post is what I've been waiting for before we could do the time jump.
Speaking of a time jump, should I get the hunting party back into camp yet or wait a little longer? I noticed that we're nowhere close to finishing up this day, and I just didn't want to go ahead and write it before everyone was ready.