Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #481
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just put a time sig in the subject line

and go ahead and post, Groin.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #482
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks, LMP, I'll get my post in as soon as possible!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #483
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Alrighty. Tomorrow morning I'll put up a post. Since we're trying to keep this moving, shaggy, are there any initial reactions from Oeric you want me to throw in there? PM me if you get the chance.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #484
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
There, that should do the trick. Sorry people. I've been quite busy lately, what with tests. And WW isn't helping. I've been avoiding this for too long, I know.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #485
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Whoa! I hadn't expected that. So Dan has chosen to make Eodwine's decision for him instead of leaving it to his lord to make the decision; that is, whether Oeric can be trusted.

Now we need shaggydog to post, or else for him to let Firefoot know what Oeric's response will be; or, as an alternative, Firefoot can make a best guess what that response will be and revise as needed if shaggydog wants something different.

Let's get this Day wrapped up by the end of Sunday (tomorrow).

Groin, since it's July 9, the sun sets about 9:30 p.m. When were you thinking that the hunters got back to camp and Erbrand was starting the skinning and dressing of the deer?

Incidentally, I'm trying to picture how the hunting party left and came back, with the Scar in the way. The hunting party would have had to go across the Scar to get to the plains to the north of the Scar, because the marshes are impossible for horses to get through without having a "Dan" experience. And on the way back the hunting party would have to cross the Scar before anybody from the camp knew the hunters were back unless a guard was set to look for them (which is certainly possible). How did you imagine it, Groin? I tend to see the Scar as almost impassable for horses, unless there's one particular spot that's been worked into a path of sorts.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-12-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #486
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Great post Eonwe! Firefoot I will send you both a second PM about any needed Oeric reaction so that we can get this wrapped up quickly.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #487
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Let's get this Day wrapped up by the end of Sunday (tomorrow).
Sho-weet! You ready for the angst of an angry scared pseudo-arrogant lordling with a complex to show up tail between his legs still feeling guilty about the losing-Lin thing whilst demanding imminent audience with his sis in a manner not to be denied?

Because I certainly am... I'm excited to see if I can insert that many emotions into an easy to read format filled with action.

Elempi, while he may not first run into Eodwine, he will ask for him first. And then, Foley, he'll want Saeryn. When I bring him in, I'll leave it open for either of you (or anybody else) to respond. And I'll bring him in after the time change.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #488
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Groin, since it's July 9, the sun sets about 9:30 p.m. When were you thinking that the hunters got back to camp and Erbrand was starting the skinning and dressing of the deer?
If the sun sets that late then I'm imagioning that they arrived around 8:30pm.

Quote:
Incidentally, I'm trying to picture how the hunting party left and came back, with the Scar in the way. The hunting party would have had to go across the Scar to get to the plains to the north of the Scar, because the marshes are impossible for horses to get through without having a "Dan" experience. And on the way back the hunting party would have to cross the Scar before anybody from the camp knew the hunters were back unless a guard was set to look for them (which is certainly possible). How did you imagine it, Groin? I tend to see the Scar as almost impassable for horses, unless there's one particular spot that's been worked into a path of sorts.
The hunting party when east towards the river Entwash. Unfortunately I forgot all about that other strip of the scar heading south. I would then think that the group would head south along the scar to find a better place for them to turn east. However, if you it would be OK with you, I can have the group enter through a narrow pass in the scar (that they found on their way south) not too far from the camp. This might save time for further complications for people wanting to head east. Does that sound alright with you LMP, or should I just say that they came back the way that they went, from the south.

I'll get an insertion in as soon as you give your input.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #489
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Sho-weet! You ready for the angst of an angry scared pseudo-arrogant lordling with a complex to show up tail between his legs still feeling guilty about the losing-Lin thing whilst demanding imminent audience with his sis in a manner not to be denied?
Oh boy. Crabannan ain't gonna like this fella.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #490
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thanks for coming through with that, Eonwe. My post is also now up - it's brief but I'm feeling rather sick today and it gets the job done...

The way I figure it timeline-wise, Dan and Scyld will arrive back at camp probably while Eodwine and co. are out working on the fences, so they'll be there when they get back.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #491
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Oh boy. Crabannan ain't gonna like this fella.
And for the first time in his life, Degas actually has to care who likes him. Oh, the sudden burst of reality that's about to kick him in the head. He's not going to like it at all. And I'm gonna looooove it.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #492
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Oh, the sudden burst of reality that's about to kick him in the head.
Given Crabannan's tendency towards brawling, this statement takes on a whole new level of meaning.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #493
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Given Crabannan's tendency towards brawling, this statement takes on a whole new level of meaning.
Would he attack the lord of a holding?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #494
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Not unless provoked.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #495
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Speaking of provocation, Gwath, that newest post of yours really provokes me to write an answer...

As for moving time so soon, Modtryth, Stigend, Garstan and Thornden were supposed to have a chat about the boys, but we can make something happen so that they don't, or write it later. So no problem there, I guess.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #496
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I posted. If you Gwath and/or Folwren could wrap it up for us tomorrow, it would be good. And poor Crabannan gets to present and explain himself for the zillionth time...
Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #497
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thin, we could write a post together for that grown-ups discussion. Or we could say it was put off. But if it was put off, then feelings would still likely grow and muster and things might not progress very well if not remedied.

Looking forward to seeing your reply to Gwath's post. If I have time, I'll write something, too.

I should also write one more post for Saeryn this Day.

-- Foley
Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #498
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Go and see...
Old 07-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #499
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Haha, interesting post, Lommy. I think it would be more appropriate for Gwath to post next, seeing as he's the one questioned. If he does so early enough, I may be able to write again before tomorrow. But as Javan has not yet been asked to speak, I'll keep out of it for now.

-- Foley
Old 07-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #500
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Haha, interesting post, Lommy. I think it would be more appropriate for Gwath to post next, seeing as he's the one questioned. If he does so early enough, I may be able to write again before tomorrow. But as Javan has not yet been asked to speak, I'll keep out of it for now.
Or, if you wish to post, you could follow his own advice and put words to his mouth...

As for that grown-up discussion, I think we should either postpone it, or write it soon-ish and then insert to proper place. We should probably hear Noggie's opinion, but he seems to have disappeared from these threads - he hasn't managed to write that post he's been promising to write all the summer... But he's playing ww and I heard phantom is charging him with loads of football tournament stuff, so I guess we can semi-forgive him. I'll try make him post or at least explain, though, if he doesn't post on this thread by tomorrow...
Old 07-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #501
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
As for moving time so soon, Modtryth, Stigend, Garstan and Thornden were supposed to have a chat about the boys, but we can make something happen so that they don't, or write it later. So no problem there, I guess.
Yeah. There's an easy answer to that. The "wood-party" wil turn in late...

I'm getting at it as I write this now. I just need to check a few details. Am I right in thinking that none of our PC's are with Stigend so I have only NPC's with him?

PS. Great to see you rejoining the Hall Fea!
Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #502
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I'm getting at it as I write this now. I just need to check a few details. Am I right in thinking that none of our PC's are with Stigend so I have only NPC's with him?
Looks like it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
timber: Stigend (Nogrod), Æthelstan, guard5, guard6
But maybe it's just good. I mean, if we're planning to get this day done by today, it would prolong things if you wanted some character interaction right now...
Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #503
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
By the way, the vote so far:

Æthelward - 1
Lithor - 1
Wilcred - 1
Osmund - 2
Alfhere
Elfric - 2
Alfred
Redwald
Was this ever decided on - except that Lithor was taken into use?

I mean Stigend has with him: Æthelstan, guard5, guard6 (yeah, I found the post and it was as I was afraid it was, no PC's). So do I get to decide it or does lmp or anyone else have strong feelings about it? I'd say Redwald and Wilcred - but clearly Osmund and Elfric have two votes... I I'd vote for Wilcred it would bring him to two votes as well... if I'd just get someone to vote for Redwald wih me then it would be a tie of four... (playing too much werewolf)

I'll write them as someones and can change the names afterwards...

Another thing. Now if Stigend and his gang has been on the swamp, how come they have not seen Dan, Scyld and Oeric - or heard Dan's calls for help? Shall we assume the swamps are so big that they don't have an eyecontact? Or am I free to come up with added geography offering better chances for getting timber from a bit farther away? I guess that would be the better option.

And if you guys have nothing against it the "wood-gang" might spot you in the late afternoon if you are stil there...
Old 07-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #504
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
The hunting party when east towards the river Entwash. Unfortunately I forgot all about that other strip of the scar heading south. I would then think that the group would head south along the scar to find a better place for them to turn east. However, if you it would be OK with you, I can have the group enter through a narrow pass in the scar (that they found on their way south) not too far from the camp. This might save time for further complications for people wanting to head east. Does that sound alright with you LMP, or should I just say that they came back the way that they went, from the south
Oog. Now I'm confused. The map has the scar in a straight east to west line just north of Scarburg. I had thought that the hunting party had crossed the scar and went hunting in this prairie just north of the scar. Was that wrong? It would take miles of going out of the way to go east or west to get around the scar to hunt in that northern prairie. To the south are land holdings; to hunt there would be to hunt on land owned by others, which would not be appreciated by them. So those are the facts as best I understand them. Do with your posts whatever works best with the facts of the situation, Groin.

If you feel that strongly about it, Noggie, name them what you want; after all, they've been handed to you to play with. Give them personalities as much as you wish. I'm really rather happy with what Groin has done with Lithor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Another thing. Now if Stigend and his gang has been on the swamp, how come they have not seen Dan, Scyld and Oeric - or heard Dan's calls for help? Shall we assume the swamps are so big that they don't have an eyecontact? Or am I free to come up with added geography offering better chances for getting timber from a bit farther away? I guess that would be the better option.
My sense of things is that Dan went off east and Stigend and company went off west. That puts them on opposite sides of Scarburg. And add on top of that, that it will take quite a walk westward (a few hundred yards at least) to find enough of the kind of timber needed.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #505
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
If you feel that strongly about it, Noggie, name them what you want; after all, they've been handed to you to play with.
Well, I'm not feeling strong about it but was merely joking about the vote-tallies... Okay. I'll see what to do with them.

Quote:
My sense of things is that Dan went off east and Stigend and company went off west. That puts them on opposite sides of Scarburg. And add on top of that, that it will take quite a walk westward (a few hundred yards at least) to find enough of the kind of timber needed.
That's perfectly fine with me.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #506
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. I have my first post on Stigend & fellows searching for wood up and posted.

It would have been optimistic to think I could tell such a short story in one post after all...

I'm doing my best to make the rest of it today as well.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #507
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Oog. Now I'm confused. The map has the scar in a straight east to west line just north of Scarburg. I had thought that the hunting party had crossed the scar and went hunting in this prairie just north of the scar. Was that wrong? It would take miles of going out of the way to go east or west to get around the scar to hunt in that northern prairie. To the south are land holdings; to hunt there would be to hunt on land owned by others, which would not be appreciated by them. So those are the facts as best I understand them. Do with your posts whatever works best with the facts of the situation, Groin.
Alright, I think I'm fine with leaving my post as it is. The hunting party wanted to go east and hunt somewhere near, but not at, the Entwash so they could easily get around the scar. Sorry for all the confusion.

Thanks for your approval of Lithor, LMP.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #508
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, Noggie :

++Redwald

or with the æ thing if you want, but that just makes it harder.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #509
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

If you wish to move forwards feel free to do it. I can always add my last things concerning the wood-party to my post there. And I will try to do it tomorrow. Now I think I need some sleep.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #510
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Noggie has settled the names of the guards for us. Great job working up the personalities a bit!

I'll post starting the new Day some time tomorrow evening, so if you want to have something same-Day in yet, please post before then. That gives you approximately 20 hours.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #511
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I took the liberty of having a small fire of some kind appear on the Scar briefly, presumably created by one of the peasants Erbrand saw earlier or maybe even Oeric, though he's probably too smart to do something like that. Hope it's alright.

EDIT: 1000 posts!

Last edited by Gwathagor; 07-13-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #512
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Stigend & the gang is back - and it's early evening there in the end of the post. So from my part you can jump forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Noggie has settled the names of the guards for us.
Yep. I took one of your favourites and one of mine...
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #513
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I see you Gwath changed the placing of your post.

A good idea looking at the "reader experience"!

Nicely thought!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #514
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Great characterizations, Nogrod. Believe it or not, Æthelstan is the creation of one of the former writers of EOH, and at that time had been given status as 3rd in command after Thornden and Eodwine. But having nobody to write him for over a year, that got lost or ignored. It needn't have come into your posts at all, but I like the characterization of someone not being able to apologize with words but by a gift. Very apt, that. There's still time for anyone who wishes to get in a last post before I change the Day.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #515
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great job on your post, Nogrod. I enjoyed reading about the new characters.

When you mentioned fire, Gwathagor, I thought you meant a FIRE not a flickering flame that soon snuffs out! Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post. I guess Crabbannan isn't all that bad when it comes down to it.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #516
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Believe it or not, Æthelstan is the creation of one of the former writers of EOH, and at that time had been given status as 3rd in command after Thornden and Eodwine. But having nobody to write him for over a year, that got lost or ignored.
Before I started writing I went back the threads to find any information I needed and found your earlier post where it was said that Aethelstan was written by someone, already forgotten by whom, at some earlier days. I tried to do name-searches with every possible variation of the name from both the EMH and the EMH discussion thread but found no hits. So I just took the lead which said he is 21 years old and thought about a wannabe writer who wished to have a young and gallant soldier of that age but didn't have the stamina to write more than a couple of posts... and that's what became of it.

Good to see it fit.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #517
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay...I posted too late. Gwath, could you put this post at the end of your post #170?

Anyone who knows Garstan's character better, tell me if I overdid him and what he said.

-- Foley

Folwren's Post

Garstan fixed his attention on the boys once Crabbanan had excused himself and backed out of the issue. While Crabannan worked behind them, going hard at it with hammer and stake, Garstan demanded an explanation.

“What happened here?” he asked.

“Well, he said-” both Javan and Cnebba started at once with raised voices, but a single, stern glance from Garstan shut them both up. There was a short silence as the two boys looked at each other, both suddenly unwilling to begin. Garmund finally did.

“Javan wanted to put up the canvas even after you had told us not to until you got back.”

“I wasn’t intending to disobey, though,” Javan interjected. “They’re lying if they say that. I just wanted to get the canvas ready to put up.”

“Then why was it almost coming to blows again?”

He called me a baby,” Cnebba accused, pointing his finger.

You were being rude and a baby,” Javan replied, slapping Cnebba’s hand away.

“That’s enough,” Garstan said. Once more his voice had enough warning to it that all three of the boys were still and silent. “I am going to discuss this with your brother, Javan. And you two,” he said, looking at Cnebba and Garmund. He read more in their looks than just innocent victims of Javan’s words. “Your behavior today towards Javan has been poor as well. This isn’t the end of it. But we have work to do. We’ve hardly gotten anything done here, although we’ve been here all morning. If you three don’t start putting an effort into getting these tents up, I’m going to take discipline into my own hands. Now get to it. You can have some water, first.”

Javan looked down and moved forward towards the buckets of water. Garmund and Cnebba went, too, and Javan stopped to allow them to go first – hardly out of a wish to be gentlemanly. When they had all gotten a drink, they turned back again and received orders on what to do next.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #518
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod, can you put this at the beginning of your post 172?

Thanks!

-- Foley

Folwren's Post

Saeryn woke again finally in the late afternoon. She felt calmer and collected, strong and able to rise. She lifted her head and looked about. The tent was empty, the flap fastened shut. She gently lifted the light cover off of herself and strained to see her wounded side. The dressing and wrap was fresh and it felt cool and soothing.

She drew a deep breath and then let it out slowly again as she sat up. With only a little difficulty, she rose and dressed herself and then headed out of the tent.

She wanted to see the new holding before darkness fell and she wanted to do it without being hindered. Everyone was at work and no one noticed as she exited the tent. She would explore the place quietly and unobtrusively as possible and then seek the company of the ladies.

Soon, she told herself, she would be one of the inhabitants again. Then no one would ask questions, or wonder about her. This, at least, was her hope. Her past was behind her, and with no one left to come stir it up and to find her, she thought she could be happy and content to stay.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #519
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Nogrod, can you put this at the beginning of your post 172?
Done.

A nice one as well...
Old 07-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #520
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Watch out, Nogrod, you have the makings of a 2nd personal character wanthing you to write him. Heck, it's already happened. Before long you're going to be writing from Wilcred's perspective; just wait and see. That's the way it goes; ask Harreld.

There is one more piece of story that must be told before this Day ends. Dan must bring "Nydfara" to Eodwine. I can think of 2 ways to handle that. Either we can have one or both of Firefoot and Eonwe post, followed by one of mine featuring Eodwine, OR the three of us could do a PM-built post allowing for dialogue, and it can be included in Eodwine's thoughts as he thinks back from the new Day to "a month ago". Let me know which way you want to go with this.

At any rate, we can start the new Day now, and either add this post in to the appropriate spot, or have it be a recollection.