Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #521
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Yeah... kill me in Werewolf and all of a sudden I have too much time on my hands. I don't know if I'll be around permanently, but I think there's enough summer left that I can commit to at least one Day.

Since I haven't posted since the Mead Hall, here's a copy-and-edit of Náin's CV:

NAME: Náin son of Narin son of Nori

RACE: Dwarf, of the House of Longbeards

GENDER: Male: none of this is-a-female-under-the-beard nonsense here.

WEAPONS: A long, bearded battle-axe. Several hammers and chisels as well, if one wants to count those.

APPEARANCE: Four feet, six inches tall, muscular, possessing a full, red beard of about two feet in length. Rather thin-faced as Dwarves go, typically cheerful in appearance.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Náin is a people person: he likes being around people, and being liked by people- except when he’s working, when he’d generally rather be alone. Generally cheerful and optimistic, he can be off-putting with a rather grave attitude normally. He has a sense of humour, but it tends to be of the wrier, dry variety. A sculptor by trade, he’s also got basic skills in masonry and smithying. Though not a warrior professionally, he is a sound fighter with his bearded battle-axe. Not particularly comfortable around women, he can be easily flustered by prolonged exposure to them. He’s also got a bit of a prejudice against Elves, as is typical for Dwarves.

HISTORY: The grandson of Nori, companion of Thorin Oakenshield, Náin was born in Erebor, and there lived until the present time. Though young- for a Dwarf- he displayed more than average skill in sculpture, and was thus chosen to go to Edoras in gratitude to King Éomer’s generosity to Gimli’s colonization of the Glittering Caves. During the War of the Ring, Náin fought in the Battle of Erebor, and certainly did his part fighting off orks and Easterlings. It was at this time that he acquired most of his warrior’s skills. As the grandson of Nori, Náin is on the wealthier side for a Dwarf, although an uncle older than his father inherited most of their portion of the family gold. As a result, he has never known true hunger or poverty save what he experienced during the Siege of Erebor.

AND SINCE THE ABOVE: Náin assisted a bit with the repairs and expansion to the Mead Hall, until Eodwine moved out and the project lost its royal priority. King Éomer allowed him to join the other Dwarves at Helm's Deep. Now he comes to Scarburg as a Master Mason and Stonecutter, as well as the token Dwarf.

---------------------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-19-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #522
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Náin assisted a bit with the repairs and expansion to the Mead Hall, until Eodwine moved out and the project lost its royal priority. King Éomer allowed him to join the other Dwarves at Helm's Deep. Now he comes to Scarburg as a Master Mason and Stonecutter, as well as the token Dwarf.
As lord Eodwine is planning to build his new Mead Hall from stone... A thing his carpenter Stigend has reacted with fear and trembling (with this lot and our skills?) you're just more than welcome Form... ehe... Náin...!

Good to see you back!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #523
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Yeah... kill me in Werewolf and all of a sudden I have too much time on my hands. I don't know if I'll be around permanently, but I think there's enough summer left that I can commit to at least one Day.
Reunion!

I'll bring in Degas once enough people have woken up that he doesn't have a straight shot to Eodwine.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #524
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
There is one more piece of story that must be told before this Day ends. Dan must bring "Nydfara" to Eodwine. I can think of 2 ways to handle that. Either we can have one or both of Firefoot and Eonwe post, followed by one of mine featuring Eodwine, OR the three of us could do a PM-built post allowing for dialogue, and it can be included in Eodwine's thoughts as he thinks back from the new Day to "a month ago". Let me know which way you want to go with this.
I'd prefer to work a 3-way joint post.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #525
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
And what shall we do, Foley & Nog? I think we never decided whether our characters sadly missed the chance to talk (that could be easily explained) or whether we want to write a PM post now. Opinions?

I'm so glad to see both Fea and Form back, and this Hall more active than in ages. It's all so great.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #526
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And what shall we do, Foley & Nog? I think we never decided whether our characters sadly missed the chance to talk (that could be easily explained) or whether we want to write a PM post now. Opinions?
I don't think we should build a post for it as it has taken place such a long time ago, but we should probably PM each other a few times about what happened in that discussion so that we might mention the discussion in some of our posts if we happen to feel like it...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #527
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, if Nogrod would rather not, then I won't complain. It could be interesting, even if we have to insert it in someone else's post, like I did with my two above. Or we could just do what Nogrod just suggested, figure out what was said by PM and use it ourselves.

I'd be pretty much happy either way. I'd LIKE to do it, but I'd survive if we didn't.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #528
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I quess the most important thing is how what had happened in that discussion has unfolded... There was a situation having a lots of tension in it and now time has passed - so what was the conclusion of the discussions and how has it worked up to this point we're posting now? We should be clear of that before posting for any of our characters getting involved with the others...

Lommy is here at my place now (well, at the exact moment she's outside but she agreed with this) and we could come up with our suggestions - and you Foley should let us know what you think (by PM I think as not to burden the others anymore with this).

Then after we have a shared understanding about both A) what happened in that discussion and B) how have things unfolded after that up to this Day, we can all post in accordance and continue the interplay...

That sounds okay?

PS. If you really want to do it - let's go then! No problem... We're here together - Lommy and I - for this day and tomorrow. Then we'll be off the net for as couple of days... Just send us the times you're going to be online and we'll see whether it fits... I mean after all constructing posts together is always a great fun!

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-15-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #529
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Lommy is here at my place now (well, at the exact moment she's outside but she agreed with this) and we could come up with our suggestions - and you Foley should let us know what you think (by PM I think as not to burden the others anymore with this).
I personally think it might be just as entertaining, not to mention helpful to others, to see such a discussion unfold on the discussion thread. This is likely to be NOT the last time this kind of thing is needed considering time jumps. But if you're going to do a PM built post, then obviously this does not obtain.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #530
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Entertaining? Ha. Perhaps so! Anyway, I PMed Noggy and Lommy already and hopefully they'll write back sometime today...before they take off for the middle of nowhere with no internet access. We'll see what we come up with.

-Foley
Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #531
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I personally think it might be just as entertaining, not to mention helpful to others, to see such a discussion unfold on the discussion thread.
By all means...

So Foley, the obvious point of departure would be that both Modtryth and Stigend, as well as Garstan, would feel a little shamed about their boys and would admit the two are to be blamed. But only partly I suppose.

It's also pretty clear they would punish Garmund and Cnebba in some way they see fit.

But how to make things better then?

One possibility would be that if there is a skill Javan has and the two don't, the parents could ask for lord Eodwine to lend them his authority and to demand the boys to acquire that skill, learning it from Javan. That would kind of require Javan to take responsibility and give him an opportunity to earn respect from the two.

That's what we came by after a little talk. So what say you Foley?

PS. Another question then would be how all that would have then turned out... But let's decide on this first.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #532
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Nogrod summed up our (his and mine) discussion about the subject quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggles
One possibility would be that if there is a skill Javan has and the two don't, the parents could ask for lord Eodwine to lend them his authority and to demand the boys to acquire that skill, learning it from Javan. That would kind of require Javan to take responsibility and give him an opportunity to earn respect from the two.
There's just one problem in this suggestion - and I was aware of it when I first came up with this idea - but is there really anything Javan knows and Cnebba and Garmund don't, or where he would be far superior? I cannot think of anything right now, unless Javan has had some training in fighting skills. (But in that case I can see Modtryth objecting to the idea. ) But maybe you Folwren have some idea? I'm all ears...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #533
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I have an idea

Hey what about archery? Would Javan know that? Nog pointed out that Javan wouldn't probably know sword-fighting if he almost loses a fist-fight to Cnebba and Garmund (for you learn all sorts of brawling if you want to learn to use a sword) and I must agree. Besides, this would be something Modtryth wouldn't necessarily object to. And Nog wants to add that learning this kinfd of skill would positively unite the boys.

What does it sound like, Foley? Do you have a better idea?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #534
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I wouldn't say that Javan almost lost to Garmund and Cnebba! Garmund's bigger than he is, to begin with, and they were two against one anyway.

Javan may know archery. I've never incorporated that, though. He is the son of a land holder and his father farms. However, at that time, his father probably also knew how to fight, so Javan may have learned something. Archery (on horse back particularly, which the Eorlings knew) is fastinating to me and I would love it. Not to mention, if someone were to learn, the earlier they learned the better. On the other hand, would Garstan and Stigend (and Eodwine, too, for that matter) trust Javan with the two younger boys with bows and arrows?

How long term do they want to do this? We can say that Javan knows the basics of raising a garden...or any crop. To give fair warning, since I personally dislike gardening with something of a passion, Javan probably won't like it, either. *little whistling face, with his eyes rolling up towards the sky*

On how it would all turn out... I think it would be most interesting if they didn't get along together very well at first and then, eventually, got to like each others companies and became very close...but almost in a different way than Garmund and Cnebba became close. Maybe more like and older brother type relationship? I kind of have an idea of one scenerio that could bring that about, but I'll have to think more on it before submitting it.

Okay, now about Thornden during the talk...he'd too be greatly ashamed about Javan's behavior, likely more so than the parents, and would immediately express that Javan behaved badly, even though he was provoked.

Now...Nogrod...you've actually had kids...this is something of a tough situation for me, who can only speculate on what it's like to have kids. Who's fault was it, really? The first time (the fist fight), I think Javan really didn't have a whole lot of choices. The second time (the disagreement over the tents and the canopy, etc.), well...I don't know. Thoughts? Anyone - not just Noggy?

I've got to run. May be back later this evening, I don't know.

-- Foley
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #535
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine did promise to play the role of father to Javan, and he may remember this to his own advantage at this time. Just something to consider.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #536
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Definitely! How could he be worked in?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #537
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
August 9th??? Fantastic.....now I have to figure out what's happened to Crabannan for a whole MONTH. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #538
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Definitely! How could he be worked in?
I guess it would be natural that either Thornden or then one of the parents would have mentioned their idea to lord Eodwine. In a sense that archery-training stuff might even be a thing they actually would need their lord's consent. And then he could act on it making himself involved.

I agree with Foley about the general way things should evolve - from hardships to something like "brotherhood". Slowly and not too smoothly but towards the good solution.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #539
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Why do I have to live in a strange country where school years start in June while the rest of the world is enjoying the holidays? I hate to be missing all this, but as you've probably all noticed I'm barely even around anymore. There's just too much to do and too little time for non-acad things. I'm sorry I have to disappear on all of you, but being a graduating college student is not easy.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #540
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I guess it would be natural that either Thornden or then one of the parents would have mentioned their idea to lord Eodwine. In a sense that archery-training stuff might even be a thing they actually would need their lord's consent. And then he could act on it making himself involved.
K. Either that or Thornden can say, "Hey, Eodwine said he was taking the roll as father for Javan, he should be in on this, too."

Quote:
I agree with Foley about the general way things should evolve - from hardships to something like "brotherhood". Slowly and not too smoothly but towards the good solution.
So, that being said, how far along are they on this August 9th?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #541
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
August 9th??? Fantastic.....now I have to figure out what's happened to Crabannan for a whole MONTH. I'm open to suggestions.
Consider all the different characters with whom he might interact. With whom is he most likely to get a long well? With whom is he most likely to fight? Which females is he most likely to be interested in? Which females are most likely to be interested in him (or would none be)? What kind of work would he be most apt to be asked to do? Which work leader is he most likely to join? Or would he spend time doing all kinds of things?

Based on all of these questions, take a look at the list of characters and plot out from day to day a general sense of what he has done.

Or, have him have behaved like someone who is not trying to draw attention to himself, and let nothing special have happened. Your choice, although the latter seems highly unlikely.

Regarding Javan and others, Eodwine will take a strong interest the moment he learns that the boy has been in a fight. He'll want to know the facts of the matter. And then he will tell Javan in the hearing of all those who have a piece in the matter, "Never start a fight; but if someone else starts to fight you, make sure you finish it. This is what you did, Javan, and you never held back from the truth. I commend you. If you wish to teach these boys bowcraft, you have me permission."
Old 07-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #542
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry for being so inactive, I'll get a post in sometime today or tomorrow. It'll include Erbrand's thoughts about everyone.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #543
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Regarding Javan and others, Eodwine will take a strong interest the moment he learns that the boy has been in a fight. He'll want to know the facts of the matter. And then he will tell Javan in the hearing of all those who have a piece in the matter, "Never start a fight; but if someone else starts to fight you, make sure you finish it. This is what you did, Javan, and you never held back from the truth. I commend you. If you wish to teach these boys bowcraft, you have me permission."
So much is bubbling under... Great!

I wouldn't like to go back there and add any posts for late night before the turn even if it looks like there would be a lot to tell, but I will accept it if it's the majority / lmp ruling.

But I'd suggest we'd finish a deal here about what happened and what followed - and all of us involved would refer to that story in our own posts like adding a point someone who has posted earlier hasn't mentioned / add a new angle to one. So the first to refer to these things shouldn't empty the field with one post but the details would come forwards piecemeal. What do you think?

We (meaning Lommy & myself) can handle Garstan and Garmund as we've used to using them while Celuien has been away.

It would be nice to try this kind of thing where a host of people share something like a story about what has happened and then they all give it their own voice and view afterwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So, that being said, how far along are they on this August 9th?
It's a month later, right? Then they should not be fighting any more. It's hard to see that a month's being together wouldn't help but it somehow magically would then change after a month and two days... (or whatever). So I'd say it's already now going pretty nicely - but the boys could all recall the first days / weeks and come up with nasty & funny stories about what had happened back then in our posts. We could then toy around with different stories we could bring forwards concerning that time and how those hurdles were overcome?

A general suggestion (so this is where we are now?): The parents & Thornden came up with the idea about the archery-training in that late evening discussion (after being ashamed of their own and apologizing a lot etc...) and then Thornden mentioned it to lord Eodwine the next morning / day just to get his approval for the scheme - and finding out about Javan had been fighting Eodwine would have taken the lead in there with his authority (in a way lmp said he would in his post here).

What do you think?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #544
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
A general suggestion (so this is where we are now?): The parents & Thornden came up with the idea about the archery-training in that late evening discussion (after being ashamed of their own and apologizing a lot etc...)

What do you think?
Sounds good, but this:

an
Quote:
d then Thornden mentioned it to lord Eodwine the next morning / day just to get his approval for the scheme - and finding out about Javan had been fighting Eodwine would have taken the lead in there with his authority (in a way lmp said he would in his post here).
I did not comprehend. Can you explain it again? Sorry.

-- Foley
Old 07-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #545
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I did not comprehend. Can you explain it again? Sorry.
Okay.

The next day Thornden mentions the decision the parents and himself had reached the last night - and possibly askes for the approval of lord Eodwine for the archery-practises (so individual punishments for all given by parents to their children and possibly by Thornden to Javan - and the decision to try and make their relations better with the quite useful archery training).

Now only at this moment does lord Eodwine learn that Javan has been in a fight. There had been such a number of events the day before that he had never heard about it (I mean there really was!).

Learning that (about the boys having a fight and then the parents & Thornden meeting) he then takes it to his responsibility to talk to them all - and especially Javan (in a way lmp describes in his post here just a few posts above - #541 to be exact).

And then the archery-training goes on.

Or that's the way I see it right now. I guess this is open to any suggestions.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #546
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nogrod, it sounds as if you're suggesting that we build a community post right here on the discussion thread. Is that your idea? That could be pretty interesting: 1 writer starts it, then another copies and pastes the start into her/his post and adds to it, and so on until the discussing group is satisfied with the whole thing, and those writers who are not involved get to see the thing grow. I quite like the idea.

Or, are you suggesting that we could just discuss and agree as to what happened when, with a timeline (perhaps) being set down back to which everyone can refer?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #547
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I was indeed talking about the latter option you suggest lmp. So we make the things clear here as to what happened and then people refer to that adding their own to it in the thread. That would give us air for everyone's personal points of view and might get the relations nicely forwards.

But your idea about a "community post" sounds intriguing as well lmp. We might as well do one for starters - and not losing the above-mentioned option. Pio could possibly fit it in, or someone who has sent one of the last posts there before the jump could do it.

So the question remains, do we write a collective post or do we refer to the things that have happened before with a mutual consent - only with individual viewpoints?

I'm slightly for the latter but will be ready to try the "community post" as well, if not for anything other than as a trial of that kind of posting...
Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #548
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thanks for making all clear, Nogrod.

I'd love to write a community post. But I'm flexible and even if I'm not happy, I won't complain.

Is the archery on horseback?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #549
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Is the archery on horseback?
If you wish. More of a challenge to Garmund and Cnebba!!! (I'm not sure Modtryth would be happy with that but if it's lord Eodwine's counsel she would agree... and Stigend would rejoice!!! )
Old 07-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #550
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Some Questions

Would they still be working on the archery a month later?

Elempi, will more stones need to be gathered as the building progresses? I had thought of something that I could do during one of the stone gathering expeditions, but I see in your post that many stones have already been quarried and shaped. If that's all they'll need, that's fine, but if more will be brought in, I'd like to do something in it.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #551
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alrighty. I posted, mostly for the sake of posing something. I made some assumptions about how the boys were getting along. If Nogrod and Lommy want things to be different, I'll go back and change it. I just wanted to get something up.

We haven't really done much planning about how things would be on the present day. What I think is no clear to be seen in the post I just put up, but I can reiterate it here.

I think that at first, things would have been really tough. How long this lasted, who knows? Maybe until another explosion happened and they had to be talked to again. I don't know how it works in real life with real kids.

As time moved on, I imagine they would grow used to each other, but perhaps not friendly. I'm thinking that that's where they are at this point.

You see, when you're stuck with someone you don't like for a long time against your will, it doesn't often get better. Something actually has to happen to make it better...

So, what I'm thinking is, maybe on this Day that we're playing out now, we can have that 'something' happen, and the friendship/relationship/whatever you want to call it can become complete.

How's that sound?
And are we doing a community post for what happened a month ago?

-- Foley
Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #552
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Certainly... You don't learn that in a month... and Javan would learn more himself as he's required to teach and thence forced to think of the things he knows... and which he himself learns while teaching... and some passers-by (anyone interested to post on that?) might give them some advice (who could resist the chance of teaching youngsters with the arrows if they knew the trade?).

Quote:
Elempi, will more stones need to be gathered as the building progresses? I had thought of something that I could do during one of the stone gathering expeditions, but I see in your post that many stones have already been quarried and shaped. If that's all they'll need, that's fine, but if more will be brought in, I'd like to do something in it.
Just my opinion. This will be a gargantuan enterprise so nothing's enough...

There's clearly no wood enough to build the Mead Hall so it needs to be made of stones as lord Eodwine foresaw... But just try to figure out the number of stones which it would take a host of men to heave up and carry and then for some (two persons basically - well Stigend and a few soldiers might learn it...) - to mould and get it right. And then think of a great hall... It's not a month or two but longer...

Just my opinion calling for realism...

EDIT: X'd with Foley... Let's see to it...
Old 07-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #553
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I just read your post with Javan, Foley.

Great!

It looks very good to me and I hope the others agree.

There is a host of chances how we could make the things evolve to any direction we wish...
Old 07-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #554
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
There is a host of chances how we could make the things evolve to any direction we wish...
Looking at Foley's latest post: Cnebba is eight!

An easy way to bring this to a good drama! Cnebba knows how to ride Snowstreak to be sure but to shoot arrows while riding... at the age of eight?

Now he's sure Snowstreak has changed after the fire to become so much more easily startled - one of the reasons he has hated Javan so much as Snowstreak had always been dear to him - and will blame javan for it. And he's not erred in that: the horse has changed in the hands of a young bloke even if it can still behave - about - with the adults!

In a sense his claim is a rightful one (and it might need admitting by those who have power over him?) but surely he uses it to distract the notice away from his own failures...
Old 07-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #555
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Well, Groin, I had originally expected Crabannan and Erbrand to become good friends, but I'm having fun with this. Maybe something will bring them together as well - mirroring the story of Javan and Co...interesting...
Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #556
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Gwath and Groin - you amuse me.

Foley, Nog, LMP - you all seem to be acting like there was still something to discuss about this issue. Isn't it settled yet? Isn't it fine as it is?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #557
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

We just like wasting lots of words.

No, no, I'm kidding. We were thinking of different ways things could happen. There are eight characters involved in this, you understand, and we coud potentially discuss how each different one acted in the situation.

The only thing that is NOT fine just where it is is the present state of things. But I think that that's been figured out in my latest post.

Nogrod, I'll fix Cnebba's age. Garmund is 9, right?
You're thoughts concerning Snowstreak is interesting. That can definitely be incorporated.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #558
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Nogrod, I'll fix Cnebba's age. Garmund is 9, right?
You're thoughts concerning Snowstreak is interesting. That can definitely be incorporated.
Except that they were my thoughts, actually... Anyway, Nog you said:
Quote:
Now he's sure Snowstreak has changed after the fire to become so much more easily startled
Wouldn't just "more easily startled" be okay? No need to exaggerate things...
Old 07-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #559
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

My two cents about the horse's apparent spookiness:

Chances are, the fire would not have damaged his ability to respond to proper handling. If he were to become more spooky, I would think it would only relate to fire or the sound of crackling, and the smell of smoke. In fact, if you really want him to be affected by the fire, then the smell of smoke would probably be what bothered him the most.

Now, it is absolutely possible that if Cnebba was the only one handling Snowstreak for most of the time, then Snowstreak could become less trust worthy. If Cnebba's handling is inconsistant, maybe a little rough at times, or just doesn't happen very often, then Snowstreak could easily turn more skiddish.
I think Nogrod insinuated that in his above post - that Snowstreak's behavior has something to do with Cnebba's handling and not all of it is due to the fire.

So...those are just my ideas concerning this, based on my own horse handling and experience. We can fling it out the window, of course, as this is purely pretend.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #560
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Certainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
This will be a gargantuan enterprise so nothing's enough...
Quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Not having expected Nain the Dwarf to arrive in Scarburg, the story I told was that the stones needed had been gathered and shaped. But a Dwarf would know better and not be shy about saying so. So Formy, don't be shy. Then Foley can do her idea with Thornden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foley
I don't know how it works in real life with real kids. As time moved on, I imagine they would grow used to each other, but perhaps not friendly. I'm thinking that that's where they are at this point.
When you have three people, whether children or adults, and they aren't necessarily getting along, you will have something called "triangulation". Two of them join together as the "in" pair, leaving the 3rd person "out". And WHO is OUT can change. One possibility is that Cnebba will turn out to be better at archery than Garmund, and Javan and that better archer will form the new pair. Then it may turn out that Garmund is better at horseback archery than Cnebba (partly because of Snowstreak being more easily spooked now), and the IN pair will again switch. And then something else might happen to put Javan on the OUT again. All of this kind of triangulation will keep repeating itself until SOMETHING, as Foley suggested, draws the threesome together as a unit in which they become aware that each of the three has value for the unit of three. That doesn't have to happen right away for these three. I think it might be more interesting to explore the triangulation in its various possibilities before resolving them into a threeway friendship. But a question: what of Lys?

Foley, your thoughts on how to handle horses are most certainly appreciated as it makes this "pretend" rpg more realistic.

Okay, now to read these new posts. If anything I've said above is already not doable because of what I haven't read yet, no problem. But I'm not going to delete what I've already written.

EDIT: Okay, no reason to worry about deleting a thing.

Regarding Dan, Scyld, and Eodwine

The PM built post is not happening so far, presumably beause Eonwe is busy with RL. In any case, I want to cover what I'm thinking about how things will have played out.

With Dan keeping his promise to Oeric, and Scyld in the know (cahoots) about that, Dan brings Scyld aka Nydfara to Eodwine. Eodwine, it just so happens, has seen Nydfara/Scyld before. He had brought a young woman with him to the Eorling Mead Hall, posing under another name, and had turned out to be a spy. I'll have to check the Abduction story to determine whether Eodwine had seen him on the Scar with Linduial toward the end of that story. At any rate, Eodwine will have a sense that he's seen him before. If he only saw him at the EOH, he will have a negative association but not be able to place it: STRIKE ONE. Dan brings Nydfara to Eodwine as the spy who has been lurking and now been caught: STRIKE TWO. Dan says that Nydfara has rescued him from the mire: "BALL ONE".

ANOTHER EDIT: Scyld was not seen by Eodwine at the Scar with Linduial.

So using my batter at the plate analogy, the "count" is against Nydfara but as yet undecided.

Eodwine will ask Nydfara, "why did you keep yourself hidden and only come when Dan brought you?"

Firefoot, what would Nydfara's answer be?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-20-2008 at 03:48 PM.