Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #2361
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I wrote for the guys. Sorry, it's a novel, but I had no idea how angry they were until I started writing...

But I guess that will suffice for now, and I hope it will make people see their point of view too. They are not truly "baddies" any more than Scyrr or Aforglaed - or Erbrand or Rowenna!

I will write for Modtryth and/or Cnebba someday soon too.

Also I just realised we need to know whether Lithor is there or not when Wulfric and Wilheard's punishment is to be executed. Or what will happen if he is not there...
Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #2362
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I've been work-loaded for more than is good to my health so I haven't basically been able to play the werewolf either. Going to work early in the morning and going non-stop to 10-11 PM... But it should ease up a little now as a new week starts.
Ooh, Nogrod, sounds miserable. Hope your work load lightens soon!

Legate...I kind of mostly read your post. I've had a long day, so didn't quite read in depth. I think I agree with what you said about the NPCs - they weren't ALL bad and maybe a little misunderstood.

I honestly don't think Groin will respond. I think he's gone...if not for good, then at least for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I wrote for the guys. Sorry, it's a novel, but I had no idea how angry they were until I started writing...
Don't apologize! I'm thrilled you posted at such length! It was great. This certainly thickens the plot, doesn't it. Two fellows who think they're father is mad and who plan to oust Saeryn out as soon as his madness disposes of him...oooooh bad. And they don't like her. A whining peasant? Heh. Your characters have a way of getting under my skin when they speak or think about Saeryn.

Good post!

-- Foley
Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #2363
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thumbs up

That was excellent, Lommy! I would rep you, but it won't let me yet.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #2364
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I wanted to post today, but I don't have the creative energy. Hopefully tomorrow!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #2365
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Fea, are you around?
Not in any meaningful way. I'm trying to keep up with the discussion thread, but I haven't had a chance to read the story thread in ages. Being sick for so long (strep followed immediately by a cold that turned into bronchitis (which caused two weeks of laryngitis), with a nice healthy dose of shingles all while I was in Boston during Bostonmoot and going to school all day every day for ten days straight) killed my extra energy. And then, since I couldn't go to work lest I infect the children with chicken pox, I had to re-plan all my work so that it could be effectively done without me present (I have new appreciation for what teachers experience planning for subs), plus I just started a new semester and I'm trying to stay on top of the 45 or so pages of writing I've got to send in to a new faculty mentor each month. Oh, and I'm trying to start a writing program for local kids without any similar programs to build off of. And I'm in the process of buying my first car.

Which is all to say...

I'm trying to keep up with discussion and general plot, but actually reading what you guys are writing won't happen for a while, and my foreseeable writing future is dedicating itself to school for a little while.

Oh my god, when I write my life down like that it looks horrible. Haha.

Basically, I fully intend to be back, I'm just not sure when I can be back for real, if you follow me. I'm finally feeling healthy again (my voice has almost come back entirely), so now it's just a matter of catching up on everything (I'm almost caught up) and then scheduling my life so that there's time for everything.

And then you'll have me again.

In the mean time, if you need me or want my opinion or want to bounce ideas off me, either Facebook me or PM me or IM me with a Sparknotes version of what's happening and I'll get back to you within a day.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #2366
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Ooh, Nogrod, sounds miserable. Hope your work load lightens soon!
It will... Already today I will have the whole evening free - well within limits (there are a hundred things to do but none is necessary exactly today...)

Quote:
I honestly don't think Groin will respond. I think he's gone...if not for good, then at least for a long time.
Well he actually responded. I have just read his PM. There seems to have been a host of reasons for him leaving and he sounds happy to have chosen to live more in the RL instead of hanging in the 'Downs.

I appreaciated his frank and open PM and think it is now settled, and he's gone for good. He wished we would leave his posts as they are and I'm inclined to grant that to him. Unless anyone comes up with a major issue that we couldn't settle because of them.

Also, if he wishes one day to come back to the 'Downs and start writing an RPG I'd wish him warmly welcome with new characters - or maybe bringing the two back again?

So Erbrand and Lithor have left the building... erm... the Mead Hall.

And Scyrr is not dead (it's just what Erbrand thought he was).
Old 01-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #2367
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thanks for reminding us about the characters of Aforglaed and Scyrr, Legate! I think many of us forgot a host of things in the thick of things running amok back there - at least I did.

But now I think it's up to you Legate to decide - as you have been the main writer for Scyrr - whether his actions in Groin's last post were ones he would take.

If they are out of bounds for Scyrr, we can probably change some things with Pio's help without totally deleting the post. If you come up with a reason why they would fight, then great (we can then just change a few lines from their speeches). If there is none, then we'll have to edit a bit more to make Erbrand and Lithor run away without Erbrand beliving he killed someone. I think both things are doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
if Nog especially you think that the folks look weird from Athanar's POV, I would like to hear that, as the point is of course his perspective... but you didn't seem to protest in the beginning (quite the opposite) and they seem to have not changed (unless counting Groin's incident)
There's no problem if there are one or two problematic characters - well whatever from the list of: dislikeable, hot-headed, brutal, proud, non-considerate, prejudiced, rude, idiot, aggressive, self-centered, warmonger, villaneous, vile, brutal... whatever. As you said there probably have been a host of that kind of guys in the military through ages (and I'm not saying Aforglaed or Scyrr would be especially bad). But at some point it seemed that all the characters who were written belonging to lord Athanar's retinue were that kind of guys - while of course all the old Scarburgians were the "good guys". Well Groin had a lot to do with that impression building up. So it was starting to feel that enough is enough.

The feeling I was getting at one time was that lord Athanar was surrounded by a mob of scroundels. And that would not do. Even if some (many) of our characters in the Mead Hall would dislike the newcomers to begin with (which they really should do), that doesn't mean the writers of the Mead Hall should start painting lord Athanar's retinue as a bunch of villains. They're still eorlinga, probably more like from the "better end" of them.

Now happily Foley has taken this new character Quin who's already a different character.

I do agree with you Legate that there should be no major "hunting-party" to go after Lithor and Erbrand - especially as Scyrr is still alive and not probably even so badly hurt. I think people of the Mead Hall would be informed that the two had left - and it will be interesting to hear how different characters will react to that. In due time - like the next time there is a courier to pass messages between the MH and Edoras - lord Athanar will inform king Eomer about a deserter soldier and that's it - I think. Erbrand sure is free to go, and beating someone up probably isn't a crime that would lead into major search-parties in the ME, but a soldier leaving his duty might warrant some notification - not that he would be actively searched for but if met somewhere he would be brought to face justice for deserting his post.

That's how I would see it - and hopefully / probably we need not bother with those issues if and when Lithor and Erbrand just are away.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #2368
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, good. I'm glad to hear that Groin responded.

So...does this mean that soon we can move forward and start working with what he wrote in his post and how it affects our characters? For instance, Thornden saw Lithor leaving, I think that will warrant some action in his place, be it to tell Coenred, or for him to excuse himself and try to ride after them, or what.

But, I don't want to start doing that until others (Nogrod, Fea, Nerindel, Gwathagor) get a chance to write at least something.

-- Foley
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #2369
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
But now I think it's up to you Legate to decide - as you have been the main writer for Scyrr - whether his actions in Groin's last post were ones he would take.
Well, Scyrr is still an NPC - although a bit of "the" NPC as he was one of the few representatives of Athanar's soldiers in the beginning. I don't want to edit Groin's post or anything just because of him, at least not too much. Of course it seems a bit over the top at some moments, namely the start when the soldier throws a stone at Erbrand and then later the thing about the knife. But if we want to keep it like it is, maybe we could come up with some reasons for why the soldier would act like he did.

The initiation of the fight could have been explainable, and after all, it was Erbrand who really started the fight itself. Scyrr could have had good reasons to provoke him, even perhaps to throw the stone (if it was a bit of an impulsive action slightly "over the top" where Scyrr just didn't think of the consequences). Bullying locals would not seem out of character: from Scyrr's point of view, Erbrand is alone (i.e. in his opinion harmless) and stinks (a good thing to start mocking him about). Scyrr is generally thinking negatively about the locals, he probably dislikes being transferred to this middle of nowhere, he is the type who complains about everything and now the first impression is still fresh, so he had a long journey yesterday, his friend got beaten and the one who did it was not punished (unjust outcome, from Scyrr's point of view), Scyrr maybe drank a lot yesterday and now he did not get enough sleep today and the barracks are too small and he is supposed to go to training after this, add to this that he is simply in bad mood today and it's early in the morning and tada, we have a good basis for him to want to be nasty to any Scarburgian who appears nearby. And of all the people, the one who shows up is Erbrand, who is here with his stinking stuff and dares to gainsay to Scyrr, especially in front of for example Ginna, who is, after all, an attractive young woman. Scyrr would not have it, but he does not know Erbrand's temper, and before he can stop (there has been the warning from Coen about brawling after all), they are in the middle of a fight which turns out to be unstoppable.

The part where Scyrr draws a knife I'm also wondering about. We could perhaps pass it if we close one eye, as much as with the former. At least it was at the time when Erbrand was already threatening to break Scyrr's leg (from what I have gathered from the post), thus, once again it might have been an impulsive reaction - we may count in the fact that just before that, the women screamed "stop, you will kill him", which might have triggered something in Scyrr's mind: "kill" - is he going to kill me? - knife! And there it came.

So that'd be for the mind analysis (I should become a psychologist it seems) My main concern is how it would be possible for a soldier like that, who has been warned particularly not to start any brawls, and who had been under Athanar's command possibly for years, to do what he did. I think we could really sum it in two basic ideas, first: Scyrr was a bit of a bully to begin with, but of course he kept himself in line as a soldier as not to get himself into trouble; second: the fact that he did what he did now is simply that moving into a new place was such a shock for him (maybe he never left Edoras before?) and the people just annoyed him immensely. Unfortunate set of coincidenes unforeseen by Athanar or Coen, who might have hoped that Scyrr (if he was already noticed as being on the "low end" of Athanar's men) would get more "fresh air" here and become more "tame" instead, but quite the opposite happened.

Quote:
I do agree with you Legate that there should be no major "hunting-party" to go after Lithor and Erbrand - especially as Scyrr is still alive and not probably even so badly hurt. I think people of the Mead Hall would be informed that the two had left - and it will be interesting to hear how different characters will react to that. In due time - like the next time there is a courier to pass messages between the MH and Edoras - lord Athanar will inform king Eomer about a deserter soldier and that's it - I think. Erbrand sure is free to go, and beating someone up probably isn't a crime that would lead into major search-parties in the ME, but a soldier leaving his duty might warrant some notification - not that he would be actively searched for but if met somewhere he would be brought to face justice for deserting his post.
Indeed. In the end, it seems that Scyrr was only almost strangled to death, but not quite. And when it comes to it, even the wedge between the "old" and "new" Scarburg created by this does not need to have to be so strong as I have initially thought. In fact, there needs not to be any at all: people can have different opinions (hasn't Erbrand always been a bit rash? Why would he flee if it was all the soldier's fault? Etc. And on the other hand, Athanar's men probably know that Scyrr is a bit of a bully if he is one).

So in other words, I think it's the best to leave it like it is and indeed take it as an opportunity, if Groin's decision is as it is. After all, he can even return at least with Erbrand later, if he wants to. And I think we can leave his post without editing as he wished - unless the people posting for the other characters acting there appear and wish to edit that...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #2370
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
That was excellent, Lommy! I would rep you, but it won't let me yet.
Well I hoped to rep many people for what they've written during the time I was away but I was unable too...

Fea, hope your life gets less chaotic!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #2371
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Fea, hope your life gets less chaotic!
True story! I had to put off running a whole bunch of errands because I forgot today was a holiday and the bank was closed.

Once I've got my new vehicle, it'll be a lot easier to organize my life since I won't have to organize my time based on everyone else's schedules.

Oh, and my real reason for posting: my favorite story that I've written is about an itinerant carney named Quin. I just submitted it for workshop at school, and just yesterday revised it into a new draft. So I'm thoroughly confused to have a new Quin around!

Which of course is poetic justice after I told Nienna that Degas wasn't pronounced the same way that French Painter Day-gahhhh is. She winces every time I say Day-gahss.

Anyway, I'm amused.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #2372
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm almost afraid to say anything, for fear my suspicions might turn out true, and no one answers. Is the place empty?

Just kidding. I know people are still about... er, that is... I hope people are still about.

I see the WW game ended yesterday. I was a little surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be. Time flew this week I guess, despite slow movement here.

Fea, how's life? Are you well?

Gwath, are you getting any inspiration to write?

Nogrod, has your schedule slowed at all? It's the weekend now.

Nienna, want to post something with Aedre? Although Javan is currently right next to Crabannan, I'm sure that we could arrange a meeting. Javan needs to say something to her.

Durelin, it'd be cool to see something posted for Coenred. I kind of don't want to write anything more there since I've written two posts for my characters at the training grounds already.

Soon, we can start integrating Groin's stuff, right?

Hope we can get this moving again!

-- Foley
Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #2373
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

My crazy days should be over for a while now. *knockknock*

I'll update myself with the thread today and intend to post as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #2374
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Fea, how's life? Are you well?
My voice is still a little hoarse, particularly by bed time, and singing accurately is a joke. I really did beat up my vocal cords by being sick so long. I'm pretending like I sound sultry. My brother quashes my illusions by saying I sound like a chain smoker. But other than that, I'm quite well.

I bought a really fabulous chair - like this one, except older, more hobbit-looking, beat up, and with truly hideous orange and brown plaid cushions - and I painted it sage green and re-covered the cushions in plum purple.

I should have my new vehicle in my possession by the end of this week, my job is going well, my deadline for school is frighteningly soon (next week and I've only got about a third of what needs to get done finished!)...

But I got the go ahead from my boss to use my work place as a location for the middle school writing workshop I'm designing! Woot!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #2375
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sorry to let you down today...

I have been planning our trip to the US. on summer '10 the time I've had and it's clearly too late now. But I'll be posting tomorrow. For sure.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #2376
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Heh.. that's for the surety... I ended up making materials on the birth of Christianity to my students and totally lost my sight for time.

But actually, are you around Nerindel? Would you like your characters to meet lord Athanar or not?

I'm not willing to write anything on that before I hear from you. So if you're not around I need to come up with other activities for lord Athanar - or just go for the craftsmen - or come up with a new character to take part in the drills...
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #2377
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've been planning to post, and then losing the time. I went straight from a January term to my spring semester and haven't been allowed time to adjust lol. I'll get a post up as soon as I can.

Though, shall we wrap up the drills? I don't think they're something to linger on. After the drills might bring more opportunity than the drills themselves (I know Coen and Thornden need to actually talk, and soldiers could interact.). I don't think we have enough soldiers being played to have even one-on-one drills be too interesting?

Just thoughts.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #2378
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Quote:
But actually, are you around Nerindel? Would you like your characters to meet lord Athanar or not?
Yes, sorry work has been a bit hectic lately and the preparations for last nights Burns Supper took up more of my time than I thought it would I should have some free time tonight, hopefully I can get Iohmair's post up, post again for Balvir and pm you my idea's for Mat and Aeol's meeting with Athanar.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #2379
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel View Post
Yes, sorry work has been a bit hectic lately and the preparations for last nights Burns Supper took up more of my time than I thought it would I should have some free time tonight, hopefully I can get Iohmair's post up, post again for Balvir and pm you my idea's for Mat and Aeol's meeting with Athanar.
Sounds like my life... although I have never actually made Haggis.

Just pick the interesting ones first. Anyway I'll be all ears for any suggestions concerning the meeting.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #2380
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Though, shall we wrap up the drills? I don't think they're something to linger on. After the drills might bring more opportunity than the drills themselves (I know Coen and Thornden need to actually talk, and soldiers could interact.). I don't think we have enough soldiers being played to have even one-on-one drills be too interesting?
I have been kind of thinking around the same lines, or having a similar dilemma. I am really not keen on writing an one-sided description of Hilderinc having a fight with Random Soldier No.#13, and there is not much of a good choice to fight with somebody else, now that Lithor is gone and other characters who are sort of soldiers, like Crabannan, are not taking part. So the choice would be only if Foley's character (Quin) or eventually one of the bosses (Thornden/Coen) wanted to have fight with Hilderinc (but then, especially with the bosses it probably does not make that much sense). But if nobody wants to, we can as well just make it that there could be some more interaction after the training, like Dury said, possibly using something that happened during the matches as food for thought, resp. talking. And especially if we are faced with the news of the two runaways (and especially the deserting soldier, Lithor) right after the training, the reactions from various characters of ours at one place might be truly interesting.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #2381
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Legate, I'd be fine if your character fought Quin. I am not sure exactly if Hilderinc would wish to fight with him or if he wanted to fight with one of the Scarburgians. It may be that he sees Quin being less than eager to join, realizes he's never sparred with him, and engages him. Whatever you want to do.

Durelin, I'm open for anything, too. In fact, it wouldn't be inconceivable for us to write about Coen and Thornden talking even before Legate and I have fully decided or written about Quin and Hilderinc fighting.

-- Foley
Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #2382
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Legate, I'd be fine if your character fought Quin. I am not sure exactly if Hilderinc would wish to fight with him or if he wanted to fight with one of the Scarburgians. It may be that he sees Quin being less than eager to join, realizes he's never sparred with him, and engages him. Whatever you want to do.
Okay, that's one possible thing. My kind of initial idea was that they would simply totally randomly stumble upon each other (i.e. found themselves next to each other and thus they would come to fight each other), but then, maybe especially if Quin seems reluctant, Hilderinc might indeed engage him. Well... if so, should we make it some sort of joint PM-post? That is, depending how much we want to dig in this... I do not necessarily relish in writing combat scenes unless I have some really brilliant ideas... or just showing the kind of basic encounter and how they think of each other at that moment, or what they can think about... which can serve as good food for thought for later... so it's just upon you if you think we should make it a joint post or if I should just start and post something and you later post yours... (I will try to come up with something anyway and then act according to your reply...)
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #2383
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

PM posts are fun.

I'm in class, so can't elaborate.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #2384
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Legate, I would be willing to do a PM post if you wanted to. If you think that would be worth while, you can go ahead and initiate it. It would be interesting to bring out more of both our characters' characeristics. I would like it.

-- Foley
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #2385
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I'd love to contribute something maybe on the more domestic side of the Mead-Hall at the moment, but I'm still confused by the timelines compared to the council and Groin's last post. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #2386
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think his post is much later in the "day" than we are right now. It'd have happened before you guys ended the drill, though, so I think we can safely assume Wylflaed and Lilige would find out about when the drill ended...or at least, that's the assumption I've been under. Anyone else have a clearer idea?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #2387
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Legate, I would be willing to do a PM post if you wanted to. If you think that would be worth while, you can go ahead and initiate it. It would be interesting to bring out more of both our characters' characeristics. I would like it.

-- Foley
All right, sounds good, I will try to make something... in about six hours from now, I'll look at it and see what I can come up with
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #2388
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I think his post is much later in the "day" than we are right now. It'd have happened before you guys ended the drill, though, so I think we can safely assume Wylflaed and Lilige would find out about when the drill ended...or at least, that's the assumption I've been under. Anyone else have a clearer idea?
The drill, even if we don't write about all of it, will have taken several hours at least. So, even if we 'finish' the drill in our posts, and you all are still working on stuff that is happening soon after the hearing, in your character's sense, Groin's post hasn't occurred yet. The two groups, those in the drill and those at the Hall, are in two slightly different time zones, so to speak. We will refrain from joining the two groups until everyone is caught up, but don't let time restrain you from posting something.

Legate, I shall look forward with excitement to your PM.

-- Foley
Old 01-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #2389
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay... by the way, while writing a part of the PM post for Foley, I have realised once again that maybe just a brief summary of the NPC soldiers of Athanar's household who have been mentioned this far might come handy. Thus, I have made just a short "list" now to sort of review their personalities, for everybody who might be interested in using them. I basically used all the facts we have "learned" about them (from their actions this far) and tried to make them fit into some logical frame. There have been, this far, unless I have missed something, two of these soldiers introduced by me and two introduced by Nogrod, all of them have participated in more than one post (I have used Nogrod's soldiers - Baldwic and Fearghall - in a really brief appearance in the first evening banquet discussion in Coenred's presence). Right at this moment I assume all of those, with the exception of Scyrr, are attending the training.

I will post the list as a separate post, perhaps pio could then link it to the character list just as NPCs, so that everybody can look it up if they want to? It's really very little in terms of actual information, but at least for now - until their personalities are developed better - it might be good, I think.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #2390
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Here it goes

A LIST OF SOME ATHANAR'S SOLDIERS (for the time being)

ÁFORGLAED - younger (in early 20s after the timejump), somewhat "unlucky fellow" whose main problem is that he cannot foresee the course of his actions and because of his tongue which he just cannot watch well enough he can easily get himself into bad situations. Got himself into a brawl with Matrim, later avoided punishment. Is a buddy with Scyrr. Áforglaed is a bit of a coward, but also in the sense that if saying "sorry" is the easy way to solve the problem, he does it. And in that, he is honest (i.e. not hypocritically just saying "sorry" to get away with anything, he usually genuinely feels sorry, only in many times apologizing just might not be enough). View of Scarburg: in the beginning somewhat negative, although he has the good chance of adapting himself.

BALDWIC SON OF BALDWIN - young, a bit insecure and unsure of himself. Had "sort of befriended Wilheard on the way to Scarburg" (Lommy) and the two of them had been recently training together. Baldwic seems to be fond of Wilheard, and same the other way around, even though Wilheard thinks Baldwic "still a bit of a baby". View of Scarburg: not specified.

FEARGHALL - possibly a bit older and generally more experienced, a rather balanced person, calmness is his name (this far, in every scene where he was present, his only attribute expressed was being "calm"). View of Scarburg: so far somewhat positive, had been expecting worse.

SCYRR - the type of person who speaks his mind openly, no matter what others think. A bit arrogant and self-centered. He can control himself in front of higher authorities (to an extent), but to his equals or, Valar forbid, to those below him in rank he can be just downright mean if there is even the tiniest thing which might annoy him about them. In other words: if you are being annoying (and you are not being a noble or something like that), you just deserve to be informed about that (in which way might depend on the circumstances. If you are too annoying and seem not to be willing to change your behavior, you may as well be "cured" from your lack of manners by physical punishment). Scyrr feels "on the same boat" with people he has known for a long time, and definitely now, in "hostile environment" he is more likely to stick to his comrades from Athanar's household (even possibly Hilderinc, whom he finds to be an annoying man who does not stick with the collective, but now he is still "closer" than the "foreigners").
His character traits got Scyrr to being almost strangled by Erbrand, when Scyrr, being annoyed by the smell of Erbrand's tanning and after Erbrand dared to gainsay to him, got into a fight with the tanner.
View of Scarburg: definitely negative (but from the objective point of view, Scyrr complains about anything that does not suit him, Scarburg is just not an exception - that, however, does not make any difference on the outside). Where there is but a single thing to criticise, Scyrr goes for it. (He would, however, never dare to criticise - certainly not openly - anybody who is superior to him, which would likely include even the original Scarburgian "nobility" like Saeryn etc.)

------------------------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-30-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #2391
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thanks for the NPC-list & descriptions Legate!

Quote:
I will post the list as a separate post, perhaps pio could then link it to the character list just as NPCs, so that everybody can look it up if they want to?
I think that for a shortwhile they should be just here and we should use the NPC's a bit more to come up with some more characteristics to them. I mean if they are just scratches we shouldn't bother Pio with now linking them to the character-page and then with a need to edit them everytime we add on to their characters.

Also, feel free to "end the drill" if there is not so much to write there. You could write something between the soldiers after the drills - when they are just drawing breath on the fields they have been practising. In that way it would be easier to keep the timelines separate.

I mean if you write the soldiers back to the Hall we'll easily get confused with different timelines.

But that also means we should probably hurry up with any things that should happen at the Hall menawhile the soldiers are having their practise.

I'm kind of torn now between writing something for Athanar and waiting for Nerindel to come up with some ideas... Anway. I'll be having somewhat better time in my hands from Thu-Fri onwards so maybe I'll just wait for tomorrow at least before writing anything just by myself.

But yes, let's get this thing moving again... and I see you're doing just that.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #2392
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Also, feel free to "end the drill" if there is not so much to write there. You could write something between the soldiers after the drills - when they are just drawing breath on the fields they have been practising. In that way it would be easier to keep the timelines separate.
Well, we are at least making a co-op post with Folwren now, which takes place during the training itself. But of course, if anybody wants to move on, it can be solved in some way... (but this far nobody seemed in particular hurry, and as you say, the other timeline is still somewhere else. And that said, we don't know how long it will take us to make this post - it can be quite fast, or not, it depends...)
Old 01-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #2393
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Just post for any time of the day you see fit!

We can settle any time-frame issues afterwards to be sure - if those emerge in the first place.

Looking forwards to your drill-post!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #2394
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Foley: I made the other kids to address Javan with a host of questions. Like kids do, everyone voicing their urgent desire for any news... So just think how Javan would manage that interest laid on him.

PS. If I don't hear anything from Nerindel tomorrow I will post something for lord Athanar to just get things rolling at the Hall (easing the task of bringing together the timelines of the drills and the Hall together)...
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #2395
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Add to Foley: I think the other kids hadn't wittnessed the last meeting of lord Athanar and Javan... so their imagination is based on the actual hearings themselves and thus have no idea about the latest events concerning Thornden beating him or what he had between lord Athanar and the apology accepted...

I think that would make a better storyline right here, but if you think differently, just go for it. I have no strong opinion on it either way.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #2396
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great, Nogrod! I'll read it when I have time...I'm currently on break on class.

By the way, I have the impression that you're not so keen on corporal punishment, however well deserved. I won't defend Thornden or his actions, it doesn't matter, but I just want to say I didn't mean it to be a very bad thing.

-- Foley
Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #2397
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

What's the deal guys?

Have you problems of engaging your characters or just tight scheduals?

The first problem can be addressed if you tell me what it is - then we can change a setting or two or open a new idea to get you all better involved. I thought this would be the place where the new and old characters could interact to get to know each other better before we start taking on the local lords and other more plot-driven things we might come up with. But if the interaction is hard or does not come naturally then we can just skip a bit forwards.

Nerindel and I are having a post planned and it will hopefully be posted in a day or two. How is your post coming Foley & Legate? Others?

PS. Foley: I didn't think Thornden was "behaving badly"... Indeed I think he behaved quite like an honourable person from that imaginary era would have acted. What comes to corporeal punishement as such; I've suffered it in RL when I was a kid and haven't ever been able to imagine myself doing it to others. But what happens in a Mead Hall in the ME is a different thing.

Last edited by Nogrod; 02-01-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #2398
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Nerindel and I are having a post planned and it will hopefully be posted in a day or two. How is your post coming Foley & Legate?
I guess it could be more or less the same with us. We are quite good way through, it depends how far we decide to continue it, but personally I don't think we'd have to prolongate the post too much. Anyway, the ball - or, the PM - is on Foley's side right at the moment, so I cannot speak completely "up to date", but we are basically switching it on day or two-day basis at most, so I guess we might get some results soon.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #2399
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yeah, it's due to tight schedule here on my end. I was unable to take any break for the BDs today at work, I was so swamped, and I was gone all weekend. I'll get a reply to Legate this evening, and hopefully a post up for Javan tonight, too. Sorry for the holdup.

-- Foley
Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 AM   #2400
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Thanks for the NPC-list & descriptions Legate!

I think that for a shortwhile they should be just here and we should use the NPC's a bit more to come up with some more characteristics to them. I mean if they are just scratches we shouldn't bother Pio with now linking them to the character-page and then with a need to edit them everytime we add on to their characters.
I made the link before I read your post.

Just edit/enlarge Legate's descriptions as needed on his post - that way there is no need for me to edit the link.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio