Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #241
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I posted.

I'm just wondering if Modtryth should know where Ćdhel is. If she should, I can edit my post. And I just couldn't help adding that last sentence to the Modtryth-part...

Considering the Cnebba+Garmund+Javan episode, Foley you should feel free to go on and decided whether the younger boys really ambush Javan by attacking him from the tree, or whether they just hide him. In either case, I doubt they're difficult to see...
Old 05-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #242
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think it safe to say that Modtryth would know Aedhel is in camp, and would wonder why Eodwine didn't think of sending for her sooner.

Eodwine will find Modtryth's playful barb somewhat interesting. Question: is Rowenna present when she says it? I think so, no?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #243
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Eodwine will find Modtryth's playful barb somewhat interesting. Question: is Rowenna present when she says it? I think so, no?
Yes, I think so. That is kind of why I couldn't resist adding it...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #244
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
And the plot thickens. .....
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #245
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow, you guys have sure been busy in my absence. I'm looking forward to reading your posts, and I'll get one in as soon as possible.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #246
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Poor Saeryn. She has more on her plate than even she imagined.

Lommy, I stopped my post with Javan there so that you can decide what the boys do.

-- Foley
Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 AM   #247
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Ooh this is so fun. I doubt I manage to post today, but you can count on me doing that tomorrow...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #248
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
If I think of improvements, I'll make them. But, for now, here is my thoroughly useless, do-nothing character. He might also be called a troublemaker, though he does actually create trouble. It just follows him.

NAME: Crabannan

AGE/GENDER/RACE/WHERE FROM: Man, not Eorling. Originally from Dale.

APPEARANCE: Tall, broad-shouldered, shaggy-headed, aquiline-nosed, lean-muscled, dark-eyed, dark-haired, high-browed, thin-bearded, black-cloaked, grey-clad.

BITS OF CHARACTER/HISTORY YOU FEEL MIGHT BE HELPFUL IN DEFINING THE CHARACTER: 38 years old. Carries longsword, shortsword, longbow, and a harp. Is taciturn and thoughtful, sometimes misinterpreted as grumpy because his brows are almost perpetually furrowed.

Crabannan's past is shady, and he does not talk about it much. He is originally from Dale, but has spent very little time there in the past two decades. Wanders a great deal. Has a knack for getting himself into bizarre and dangerous situations. Brawls and fights seem somehow to develop wherever he goes, and though he only occasionally instigates them, he nearly always enjoys them. Has fought under the banners of Dale, Gondor, Rohan, and Mirkwood, and was involved in most of the biggest battles of the War of the Ring.

Has served as bard to everyone from kings to tribal chieftains; if he has an official occupation (which he adamantly denies), it is this. He claims to have little skill with the harp, though. In addition, he has spent time in just about every other occupation under the sun, from soldier to hunter to smith to farmhand to lumberjack. Most recently, he was a kitchen-boy in an East Emnet settlement, but he lost that job a 6 months ago when he broke the head cook’s nose over a girl. The crooked eorl failed to see his point of view, and so he was told to leave.

-------------------------------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-21-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #249
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmm... your character looks a bit fiesty. Please try not to brake anybodies noses when you arrive! I'm glad to see that you've finally joined!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #250
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, yay. Looks like an excellent roll model for the newly reformed Javan.

This could turn out extremely fun.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #251
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Hmm... your character looks a bit fiesty. Please try not to brake anybodies noses when you arrive!
Like I said, Crabannan doesn't TRY to cause trouble. It just happens.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 05-20-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #252
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thanks, Elempi. I needed a prod towards some direction. Will get a post up sometime today. (Is it just me, or is it a bit tougher to write when you're sick?)
Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #253
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmm.... except for the beard and leanness of build, Crabannan almost reminds me of Conan the Barbarian.

Gwath, we ought to figure out a good time/opportunity to introduce your character. Also, why is he coming to Scarburg?

Lhuna, I expect to have a post up for Harreld today or tomorrow.

Finally, how much time do we want to spend on this Day? I can see a few things happening that need to be resolved: (1) Dan & Oeric, (2) the hunting party with Garstan & Erbrand (I think Dan would not need Erbrand whereas the hunting party will, and this gives us somebody to write about that little adventure, (3) Modtryth, Saeryn, Rowenna, and Aedhel (& Eodwine), (4) Javan and the tent makers, (5) Falco leaving, (6) Stigend and the timber, (7) Lhuna and Harreld.

Sheesh! We're busy today! I guess we have plenty to do before we wrap up this Day.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-21-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #254
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Haha, Gwath, that looks good!

I'm off to write a post now. I will at least write about the boys. If it doesn't take a very long time to write it, I'll add something for Modtryth too.

And Nogrod is currently in Romania and coming back on Sunday, so we won't get anywhere with the Stigend-timber plotline before early next week, I'm afraid...
Old 05-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #255
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Ok, I wrote something for Cnebba. It's quite late an I should do some schoolwork, so I didn't write for Modtryth as I don't actually need to write for her for the plotline to go on...

Personally, I think it would be funniest if the boys' little fist-fight ended by someone accidentally coming across it, preferably someone who's not really related to them in any way in particular. Not Modtryth (or Stigend or Garstan), and maybe not Thornden either. (Even though that might be very amusing as well, poor Javan. ) Any ideas?

edit: Folwren, if you have a better idea, go on, of course.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #256
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Good post, Lommy! I'd rep you, but I haven't done enough repping recently.

Your idea of having someone come across them fighting is fine. Thornden can't do it, he's decidedly busy (even though I haven't written for him at all this day ). So...does anyone want to volunteer to have their character walk by? Or hear them and go see what's up?

EDIT: Lommy, the only other idea I had was that, if they're fighting behind the tents (which I think they are) they could stumble into/onto one of them. And that one could just happen to be the one where Saeryn is, with Modtryth and Rowenna. But I think that would be too drastic.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #257
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Gwath, we ought to figure out a good time/opportunity to introduce your character.
How about when somebody needs their nose broken! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

LMP, I noticed that we don't have anybody writing to Garstan. Should I write for him while we're out hunting, or has somebody taken his character? I was reading his bio and it really isn't all that different from Erbrand's.

Since I'll be going on the hunt I'll need a good range weapon, and I didn't mention any in my bio. I was thinking that Erbrand could either barow a bow and arrows or I could have him use a sling instead. Is their a preference to which one I should use?

Great post Thinlomien! I reckon somebody better intervene before those boys kill themselves, silly boys.

EDIT: Thanks for clearing that whole job business, LMP. I was just about to ask about that.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 05-21-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #258
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

[quote=littlemanpoet;556075]Hmm.... except for the beard and leanness of build, Crabannan almost reminds me of Conan the Barbarian.

Gwath, we ought to figure out a good time/opportunity to introduce your character. Also, why is he coming to Scarburg?quote]

I've written an introductory post for Crabannan, so he is coming today, probably before lunchtime in Scarburg. He is wandering west-ish and comes upon Scarburg by accident. He plans to stop through for a day or two before moving on. We'll have to construct something to keep him around for longer.

Crabannan has several advantages over Conan, including an education and a intelligent sense of humor.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #259
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Oops! It seems I've decided to place Garstan in more places than he can be in. Seems he's already involved with the tents.

Groin, Celuien is the writer for Garstan, but she is busy with real life issues for nigh unto a year so far, I believe, and so there is no-one writing her character, who is a "shone shaper" or mason by trade (we don't use the term mason as it is not Middle Earthy enough). So Garstan continues to be a character we LIKE to keep in the rpg because we all like Celuien and would love to have her back, and she hasn't closed the door on that either. So we use her character as it suits us (reasonably).

Groin, as the list below indicates, your character is the only one with an active writer, so feel free to do what you like with the characters. And there are plenty of weapons around, they just have to be dug out of whatever crate they were placed in for the trip to Scarburg.

Just to keep everything straight, I've put together a job list and characters busy with which jobs. If you think I need to change something, please let me know and we'll see what we can do. The ones I just sort of plunked down for lack of a better idea are italicized.

animal pens: Léofric (Firefoot), Eodwine (LMP), Thornden (Folwren)

hunting: Erbrand (Groin), guard4, Balvir, Matrim

tents: Garstan, Garmund, Cnebba (Thinlomien/Nogrod), Javan (Folwren), Lys,

With nothing but boys who can't help quarreling, tents aren't going to get very far until the animal pens are situated and those men join with the tents, I'm thinking.

timber: Stigend (Nogrod), Ćthelstan, guard5, guard6

sickbed: Saeryn (Folwren), Modtryth (Lommy), Rowenna (LMP), Ćđel

kitchen: Frodides (Kath), Kara (Kath), Léođern? (who's taking care of the little one?)

smithy: Harreld (LMP), Ginna (Lhunardawen)

tracking Oeric: Daghan-Turi-Dan (Eonwe), Oeric (shaggydog)

leaving: Falco (LMP)

spying: Scyld (Firefoot)

Wow! There's a lot to do and perhaps not enough people to do it all!

(sheesh! I must have edited this post a half dozen times!)

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-21-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #260
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lommy, you crazy girl. That post was hilarious. Poor Javan.

I was wondering if maybe Léođern could get bored in the kitchen and wander out and catch the Orc and droogies fighting? Will she be allowed to walk that far on her own, if it's far at all? If it's suitable, I can volunteer to let the little girl walk in on the boys.

Meanwhile, I think Harreld is not going to make this easy at all.

EDIT: After more than an hour, I just noticed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
(7) Lhuna and Harreld
Um, much though I love Harreld, he's really too old for me.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 05-21-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #261
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Crabannan's intro post is up. I hope it's not too much introduction before his entrance, but generally my posts will be shorter than this one. Anyway, he's walking into town now with his horse, so feel free to begin to interact with him.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 AM   #262
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Leodern is being looked after by whoever she's around. Me or Ginna if she's in the kitchen, Folwren if she's tailing Javan etc. At the moment I've no idea where she is so she can be in the kitchen if it's easier.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #263
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Leodern is being looked after by whoever she's around. Me or Ginna if she's in the kitchen, Folwren if she's tailing Javan etc. At the moment I've no idea where she is so she can be in the kitchen if it's easier.
Leodern is in the kitchen - Modtryth sent her to follow Javan there and being a good girl, she probably did so and after that, Frodides and Kara have probably been keeping an eye on her and maybe giving her some little chores. (At least Modtryth the semi-official nanny is definitely not looking after her at the moment, nor is she with her brother and Cnebba.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
Lommy, you crazy girl. That post was hilarious. Poor Javan.
Thank you - but it is not actually me who's crazy here, but Folwren: she's the one who got the idea that they should start a proper fight.

Quote:
Groin, Celuien is the writer for Garstan, but she is busy with real life issues for nigh unto a year so far, I believe, and so there is no-one writing her character, who is a "shone shaper" or mason by trade (we don't use the term mason as it is not Middle Earthy enough). So Garstan continues to be a character we LIKE to keep in the rpg because we all like Celuien and would love to have her back, and she hasn't closed the door on that either. So we use her character as it suits us (reasonably).
And I could add that while everyone is welcome to write for him, he has mostly been written for by Nogrod and LMP this far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
I've written an introductory post for Crabannan, so he is coming today, probably before lunchtime in Scarburg. He is wandering west-ish and comes upon Scarburg by accident. He plans to stop through for a day or two before moving on. We'll have to construct something to keep him around for longer.
It was great, I think. (Sadly, I too am plagued by the not spreading enough syndrome...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
I was wondering if maybe Léođern could get bored in the kitchen and wander out and catch the Orc and droogies fighting? Will she be allowed to walk that far on her own, if it's far at all? If it's suitable, I can volunteer to let the little girl walk in on the boys.
If you can make something funny out of it, go on. I think she could just slip away when Frodides and Kara are not watching, or she could catch the boys fighting when being on some errand given her by Frodides or Kara...
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 AM   #264
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
I take it you mean 'me or Lhuna.' Really, I have no idea why Ginna and I are always being mistaken for each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Thank you - but it is not actually me who's crazy here, but Folwren: she's the one who got the idea that they should start a proper fight.
Well then, the compliment goes to both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
If you can make something funny out of it, go on. I think she could just slip away when Frodides and Kara are not watching, or she could catch the boys fighting when being on some errand given her by Frodides or Kara...
If it's okay with Foley, I'll see what I can do. I have to summon a bit of mischief, and that'll be quite a task as I'm generally a well-behaved little girl.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #265
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
If it's okay with Foley, I'll see what I can do. I have to summon a bit of mischief, and that'll be quite a task as I'm generally a well-behaved little girl.
You? I don't believe it.

It's fine with me.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #266
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Ergh! I believe it's a corollary to Murphy's Law that as soon as an RPer asks others to do something with him on the game, RL steps in and gets totally crazy!

Apologies to Firefoot and Eonwe for not being more in touch. It will probably be the weekend before I can get back to Scyld and Dan Sorry!!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #267
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This is a perfect way to start your day (hey, that rymes!). I'm glad to the RPG filled with posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
hunting: Erbrand (Groin), guard4, Balvir, Matrim
Now I'm assuming that Balvir and Matrim are just two characters that you made up for this situation, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor
Crabannan's intro post is up. I hope it's not too much introduction before his entrance, but generally my posts will be shorter than this one. Anyway, he's walking into town now with his horse, so feel free to begin to interact with him.
An excellent post, Gwathagor! I liked the way that you put all these little details into it, expecially when you were talking with your horse. For a minute I thought that Dr. Doolittle was coming to town!

I'll get a post in as soon as possible.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #268
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks for keeping us informed, shaggydog.

Actually, Groin, Nerindel invented them as Gondorian men at arms from Ćđel's noble house. So they are not technically under the rulership of Eodwine, but of Ćđel; who is in Eodwine's protection.

Balvir is a captain type and Matrim is an experienced veteran of slightly lower rank. Matrim has a budding friendship with Javan. Balvir has not really been written much about.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-22-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #269
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Harreld will have a reply post in place by the end of tomorrow.

I've been thinking about a trick for writing that some comments here and there have brought to my mind. Our posts have a combination of actions, speech, and thoughts. What's interesting is how a character's thoughts are used by other posters.

For example, Lhuna commented that Harreld is not going to make this any easier for Ginna. Part of this is that Harreld has guessed wrong as to what's on Ginna's mind. Lhuna has been writing for Ginna such that she too is guessing wrong about what's on Harreld's mind. What's the upshot? A very interesting character interplay with lots of potential for conflict and misunderstanding, which is what drives interesting story.

I've seen where characters guess exactly right what is on the mind of another character, and it's usually too lucky or too easy, and actually serves to short-circuit good story opportunities. So next time you write a post for your character, think about what makes your character tick, so you can have an idea what wrong guesses he or she might make. I think you'll find it fun.

Just a by the way: healthy interactions in real life are based on precisely the opposite, that is, NOT assuming what the other person is thinking, but asking.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #270
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
I take it you mean 'me or Lhuna.' Really, I have no idea why Ginna and I are always being mistaken for each other.
Truth be told, I intended to write Kara or Ginna, so actually I got Kara confused with myself!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #271
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Truth be told, I intended to write Kara or Ginna, so actually I got Kara confused with myself!
Oh, that is even more funny! Elempi (and others, must mostly Elempi) does that quit frequently!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #272
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I've just put up my post for the hunting party. Since Nerindal has been absent from the Downs for over five months I went ahead and wrote for Balvir, Matrim, and guard4. If I have over stepped my boundries by writing for them just let me know and I'll abreviate my post to just Erbrand.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #273
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Posted. Crabannan broke up the fight.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #274
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
You? I don't believe it.
Rats, I thought I had everyone fooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydog View Post
Apologies to Firefoot and Eonwe for not being more in touch. It will probably be the weekend before I can get back to Scyld and Dan. Sorry!!!!
Oooh! I'll be looking forward muchly to this post.

Quote:
I've been thinking about a trick for writing that some comments here and there have brought to my mind. Our posts have a combination of actions, speech, and thoughts. What's interesting is how a character's thoughts are used by other posters.

For example, Lhuna commented that Harreld is not going to make this any easier for Ginna. Part of this is that Harreld has guessed wrong as to what's on Ginna's mind. Lhuna has been writing for Ginna such that she too is guessing wrong about what's on Harreld's mind. What's the upshot? A very interesting character interplay with lots of potential for conflict and misunderstanding, which is what drives interesting story.
And here I was thinking when I saw my name highlighted: "Oh no, Elempi's going to scold me for making too many assumptions about his character!" I'm excited to learn what Harreld really (and wrongly) guesses of Ginna's mind.

Quote:
Oh, dear Kath, that's an awful case of identity crisis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Posted. Crabannan broke up the fight.
Thanks, Gwath! I really couldn't come up with an interesting way for Léođern to barge in on the boys.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 AM   #275
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

With AEdhel in the tent as healer, either Modtryth or Rowenna could be excused as there's no need for two errand runners. Which one shall stay and which one shall go? Any thoughts, Lommy? It doesn't matter to me.

Name the men-at-arms Game

From now until the end of May, lets everybody offer names for the three unnamed men-at-arms. I'll keep a tally, and in the first week of June, we'll vote. Each player/writer gets three votes (in June). Start: NOW!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #276
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Aethelward!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #277
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Aethelward!
Great start, Gwath! As Gwath intuited (or perhaps deduced), these three are Eorlings and ought to have Eorling names.

I've finally had a chance to read some recent posts, such as yours, Groin. I see that you have taken it upon yourself to give one of the guards a name, which is appropriate. "Lithor". Seems like a reasonable name to me. Shall we make it two guards that we need names for, and accept "Lithor"? Groin, what do you think? Otherwise, we could add it to the list. I'll do that for now until we decide.

1. Ćthelward
2. Lithor

One other thing, Groin, the White Mountains are 50 miles away from Scarburg. It would take more than a day to get there, and then the hunt could begin, and then more than a day to get back. I think you don't want that. The hunting is pretty much going to have to happen on the open plains within perhaps ten miles (or twenty?) from Scarburg, where presumably some sort of herd animal, deer-like, or whatnot, could be found roaming. The Scar of rocky hills runs westward from the River Entwash for perhaps thirty miles, and Scarburg is about 20 miles west of the Entwash. South of the Scar there are inhabited lands for farming; north of the Scar has not been determined, but it could very well be empty except for game.

Incidentally, it was a nice stroke to have Balvir name Matrim as his Lieutenant, a word which is of French derivation. As Eorlings are based on Anglo-Saxon, the Gondorians are based on French or Roman, so that works quite well, and you could have Erbrand notice the foreign word too, as another indication of their "Gondorian-ness".

One last thing: Gwath, is Crabannan familiar with Gondorian? "Recompense" is a Latinate word and not something the boys would even recognize, being boys as well as Eorling.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-23-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #278
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Seems like a reasonable name to me. Shall we make it two guards that we need names for, and accept "Lithor"? Groin, what do you think?
We can keep Lithor on the list for now, but if anyone comes up with a better name I'll willingly change it (my post was rash and hurried). However, Ćthelward is wonderful name! Great going, Gwathagor!

Quote:
One other thing, Groin, the White Mountains are 50 miles away from Scarburg.
Dang it, it all looks so small on the map. I'll change it right away.

Quote:
you could have Erbrand notice the foreign word too, as another indication of their "Gondorian-ness".
I'll change that too. Thanks for your help, LMP.

It was sheer brilliance with your characters entry, Gwathagor! It's like your character can't escape his fate of causing (intentionally or unintentionally) brawls!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #279
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Gwathagor, you're making me laugh, almost hysterically! That post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
With AEdhel in the tent as healer, either Modtryth or Rowenna could be excused as there's no need for two errand runners. Which one shall stay and which one shall go? Any thoughts, Lommy? It doesn't matter to me.
I think it might be dramatics-wise be more interesting if Rowenna stayed, but it would make more sense if Modtryth stayed, as she knows Saeryn, unlike Rowenna (do Aedhel and Saeryn know each other?) and it might be nicer for Saeryn to have Modtryth around around. Would either of Modtryth and Rowenna be especially needed somewhere else?

Names? Hmm... What about Wilcred? Or Osmund? Or Alfhere? Or Elfric (or Ćlfric, is that sounds better)?

Personally, I think we should avoid having too many ć's and đ's - as interesting as they are - as Tolkien was kind enough to translitter the names in a more "reader-friendly" way... I mean, sometimes the names we use here in the Meadhall sound so authentically Anglo-Saxon that they don't actually fit nicely with the names of the Rohirrim in LotR.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #280
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You could go with some kingish names, like Alfred (or Ćlfred if it makes you happier), or Redwald (Rćdwald). Sorry Lommy.

And how about titles. like "...the..."/"...of the..."/"... ....-....[must be a kenning here]" depending on what they are.

And an interesting question Elempi would Eorlings name their swords?

Last edited by Eönwë; 05-26-2008 at 06:52 AM.