Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #321
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
...she's too focused on the present to give any thought to the future.
And that, my friends, is the linchpin of the problem for Harreld.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #322
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Poor Harreld, the perfect victim to get strung along by a maiden who can't make up her mind.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #323
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Both Ginna's and Lhuna's jaws dropped. Ginna immediately closed hers - she knew this was coming all along. Lhuna did, too, but her mouth stayed open.

"What?" said Ginna to her writer. "Don't tell me you didn't expect something like this."

"I did," scowled Lhuna, "but the reply's more my problem than yours. You're not the one who has to stop laughing long enough to post your answer." And with that she laughed, much to Ginna's resentment. Her ordeal was not a laughing matter. She frowned at Lhuna.

"Oh, no, it's not you," explained Lhuna between fits of giggles, "it's just that I think Harreld had spent too much time with Eodwine." She sobered up suddenly. "Well, then again, it must be, if they're staying inside the same man's brain. Speaking of Elempi...I hope he doesn't mind waiting. I'm not really in the best position to respond now; I shouldn't even be writing this loony post. It certainly isn't helping me with my paper."

"And besides," Lhuna added, with a conspiratorial grin at her character, "maybe you wouldn't need to respond...yet. Or someone might make it easier for you to make up your mind. Who knows?" She winked at Ginna.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 05-30-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #324
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Huh. You remember stuff I forgot.

Er, didn't you know? "Dear one" is a typical Eorling turn of phrase.

My, that was a heavy post between Eodwine and Saeryn, was it not! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:53 AM   #325
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
How could I ever forget the post that practically doomed Ginna into being? You're welcome, and thanks for joining me. I had been having a bit of a trip by myself and thought maybe I should get others to come along.

The next post(s) coming from me will have to wait a few days. Apparently the situation's more complicated than I think, or maybe I'm just making it complicated for myself. In any case, I ask for your patience.

And at the risk of being called a hypocrite, I think I'll beat Elempi to the punch:

Helloooooo? Where are all the writers?

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 06-01-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #326
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
And at the risk of being called a hypocrite, I think I'll beat Elempi to the punch:

Helloooooo? Where are all the writers?
Yeah, I was noticing the slowdown too. Well, Foley being absent will necessarily take its toll on Javan, Thornden, and Saeryn. The Oeric/Scyld dialogue is fascinating and I can't wait for more of it! Erbrand's storyline is going apace, and with the hunt taking no doubt hours, the rest of our storylines are going to have to catch up time-wise. Rowenna can simply be considered to be dismissed from the women's tent to go help Frodides and Kara with the kitchen work; that doesn't need a post.

I think what most needs doing at this point is a post getting Crabannan into Scarburg to meet Eodwine and so forth. Gwath?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #327
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Indeed. I agree. I had hoped Javan would be able to lead Crabannan into camp, but with Folwren gone, that might be difficult. Should I just use Javan a bit? Any other ideas?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #328
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll see if I can get a post in later today, but I'm waiting for a response from Nogrod and Lommy about an idea I proposed
Old 06-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #329
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Indeed. I agree. I had hoped Javan would be able to lead Crabannan into camp, but with Folwren gone, that might be difficult. Should I just use Javan a bit? Any other ideas?
Feel free, Gwath. If Foley sees any problems when she gets back, you can fix them later.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #330
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
A little while ago I had talked to Folwren about having the hunters bring Scyld into the camp; she's gone, but Groin seems to have taken over the hunters anyway... Groin? You want to set something up there? (Actually I guess it doesn't so much have to be set up as written...).
Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #331
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sure Firefoot, I'll have one of the men spot you, but you're with Oeric and Dan is more near him than any of the hunters, who are a couple leagues distance from the spot. If you haven't been spotted by the time the hunters return I'll have them spot you. Ahh, I promised to post yesterday didn't I, I hate it when I make promises and forget about them.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 06-02-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #332
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Groin, that was quite a post! Good storytelling. One thing I wonder about though - how lucky does a good hunter have to be to hit deer in the heart with an arrow first try, and only have to use one arrow to bring a deer down? I can imagine a deer getting hit once, in the chest even, getting one lung pierced, and still running away though perhaps not so fast. Just wondering.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #333
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Groin, that was quite a post! Good storytelling.
Thanks LMP, I'm glad that you liked it.

Quote:
One thing I wonder about though - how lucky does a good hunter have to be to hit deer in the heart with an arrow first try, and only have to use one arrow to bring a deer down? I can imagine a deer getting hit once, in the chest even, getting one lung pierced, and still running away though perhaps not so fast. Just wondering.
To it a deer in the heart is a challenging shot to make, but you don't just need to hit him there, if you pierce any of his two lungs with an arrow the animal is as good as dead. Yes, I have seen deer run away with my arrow in their chest, usually because the arrow didn't penetrate deeply enough. That's why I had the hunters unusually close to the deer. Lithor was riding right beside them, the Gondorians where only a few yards away from them (plus they had long bows), and Erbrand pulled his bow all the way back to his chin/cheek while most hunters draw it back to their chest.

So yes, killing a deer is a difficult job, but I tried to give the characters all the advantage that I could. I hope that helps, LMP.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #334
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
So yes, killing a deer is a difficult job, but I tried to give the characters all the advantage that I could. I hope that helps, LMP.
Well, I'm glad I asked. I've learned something now. In the words of Shrek, "I'm a believer!"
Old 06-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #335
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have been busy with school ending and holiday starting and ww is partly to blame too. However, I'm planning to read through everything tomorrow and I will also reply Groin's PM question, I'm sorry I didn't do that before...
Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #336
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Firefoot: as per "peculiar look", I suppose you're thinking of Eodwine's wish not to cut down the trees on the Scarburg property. If I am correct in that, then the peculiar look wouldn't occur, because the wood Stigend is going to fetch will come from OFF the Scarburg property, and if wood is needed for the animal pens, then it's just simply needed, and Eodwine is enough of a realist to understand that. If I misunderstand what you're doing, please let me know.
The above conversation was never answered by Firefoot. Is she also playing Dueling Wizards? I'm quite convinced that game is largely responsible for the drag here (except in the case of Foley), without even looking at the list of players.

I guess I'll pick up that thread if I don't hear from Firefoot in the next couple of days.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #337
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Is she also playing Dueling Wizards? I'm quite convinced that game is largely responsible for the drag here (except in the case of Foley), without even looking at the list of players.
Even if not in regard to Firefoot you're right. At least with me it is that right now. I had my hectic week and it passed - and Lommy has briefed me somewhat what has been going on in here.

I'll be around in a short while. And staying for good then.

So sorry to make that kind of claim once more but just wait until I start calling up on you why you're not posting anything when I have a host of time in my hands and want to move things forwards...
Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #338
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Oops, terribly sorry. I never saw that somehow... and can't even fault DW, since I don't have time to commit to it (sorry, Nogrod, I think I never answered your pm - I'm losing it ).

Yes, I had been thinking along those lines. If those assumptions were incorrect I can fix the post.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #339
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, thanks Firefoot. Yes, please edit your post to remove the peculiar look on Eodwine's face. Perhaps you might put an amused smile on Eodwine's face, as Stigend might have a peculiar look knowing Eodwine's "build with wood" antipathy, which Eodwine can see and therefore his amused look. I'll post for Eodwine today if I get a chance, or tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #340
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Will do.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #341
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm planning to post sometime this week...
Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #342
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Gwath, I replied to your post and left the end open so Crabannan can choose what he wants to share with Kara.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #343
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The errand rider from Gondor dismounted quickly and strode purposefully into the thread. He unfurled a parchment and nailed it to one of the walls:

Come one, come all, you denizens here and in far lands!!
All those who enjoy the reading of a good tale and the playing out of one.

A new name has been added to the list of storytellers in Gondor:

~*~ littlemanpoet ~*~

Come and give your congratulations to this wonderful wordsmith!

~*~ Free drinks/ free food/ & plenty of good company ~*~

Come to The Seventh Star Inn in Gondor and lift a glass to littlemanpoet.!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #344
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hey, everyone. I wanted to post this weekend. I really, really did. But it doesn't look like it's happening. If I get up really early tomorrow and work really fast, then maybe I will. But, the thing is, on the weekends, I need as much rest as I can get, so I don't see myself getting up early tomorrow. Sorry.

I didn't realize Thornden was with Eodwine and Leof. I guess that's alright. I thought he was off station guards and trying to find the people sneaking around camp. I guess I was wrong. Oh well. Have fun with him and Javan. And Saeryn.

-- Foley
Old 06-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #345
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

As to Thornden, Foley, you WERE right, but things happened and Eodwine made choices, one of them being - for better or worse, we'll see - to NOT post guards because every hand was needed for other work.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #346
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Time to Vote

Oops! I forgot all about this. Here are the 8 names collected for the three extra guards. The name Lithor has been getting used in a couple posts now by Erbrand, and if you like, that may be considered in your vote. You get to vote three times each. I will vote only to break a tie.

1. Æthelward
2. Lithor
3. Wilcred
4. Osmund
5. Alfhere
6. Elfric
7. Alfred
8. Redwald

Voting will conclude on June 15.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #347
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
(How do you do that a/e thing???)

++Aethelward, Osmund, and Elfric
Old 06-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #348
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Additionally, I aim to post sometime this afternoon. Or maybe I'll post on Treachery of Men. Or maybe both...
Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #349
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I vote Elfric.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #350
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

++ Lithor, Osmund, and Wilcred
Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #351
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

K. I got to post. It's rather short, but it got the boys back. Lommy, I figured you could post for Garstan next. There is a slight chance that I can post sometime this week at camp, if you happen to get a post up that I need to reply to.

-- Folwren
Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #352
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

How to make those diphthongs (mashed together A-E's/O-E's) and other vowels with squiggly marks:

Press and hold down the ALT key while typing the four number code on your NUMPAD, then release ALT.

À - 0192
à - 0224
Á - 0193
á - 0225
â - 0226
Ä - 0195
ä - 0228
Æ - 0198
æ - 0230
È - 0200
è - 0232
É - 0201
é - 0233
Ê - 0202
ê - 0234
Ë - 0203
ë - 0235
Ì - 0204
ì - 0236
Í - 0205
í - 0237
Î - 0206
î - 0238
Ï - 0207
ï - 0239
Ò - 0210
ò - 0242
Ó - 0211
ó - 0243
Ô - 0212
ô - 0244
Ö - 0214
ö - 0246
Π- 0140
œ - 0156
Ù - 0217
ù - 0249
Ú - 0218
ú - 0250
Û - 0219
û - 0251
Ü - 0220
ü - 0252
Ý - 0221
ý - 0253
ÿ - 0255

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-08-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #353
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Oh thanks. That would be super helpful...if I wasn't using a laptop keyboard (i.e. no numpad).
Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #354
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I also use a laptop - it's a Dell. It has a keypad built into the letter keys which is accessed through using the Fn (Function) key - does your laptop have something like that? If so, you hold down the Function & Alt keys together and use the 'numpad'.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #355
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Sadly, no.

I've posted.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #356
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks much for posting the aid, Pio! Gwath, don't worry about it - typing both letters is quite readable. "dh" = "ð" .... and accent marks are a luxury some of us prefer to use. Technically, Eodwine ought to be Éodwine.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #357
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Honestly if I had to put in every single accent mark I wouldn't bother... autocorrect in my word processor for me.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #358
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What time is it at Scarburg? I want to post for the hunting party, but I'm afraid that I have moved too fast with the hunting and return of the group. Should I stall a little longer?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #359
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I have the impression that it is before lunchtime still. I may be mistaken.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #360
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

All groups are "stalled" (by Dueling Wizards, mind you) at late morning, except for the hunting party.

So here's what we're going to do. We will move time to late afternoon, plain and simple. All continuing action that has not been completed by the end of tonight will have to be narrated "after the fact" by means of 'flashback'.

Groin, put a heading of "late afternoon" on your next post, and please post tomorrow instead of tonight.

By the way, the vote so far:

Æthelward - 1
Lithor - 1
Wilcred - 1
Osmund - 2
Alfhere
Elfric - 2
Alfred
Redwald

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.