The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2002, 07:14 PM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Reviews - Good, Bad and Indifferent

Perhaps we need a seperate thread for reviews we find of the film. (Or perhaps we don't.)<P>Here's a review from the <I>Kansas City Star</I> that sums up perfectly the way I felt about the film. <A HREF="http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/entertainment/4766320.htm" TARGET=_blank>Letdown of 'Two Towers' ameliorated by animated Gollum<BR></A><p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:15 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

(He means that it's a link to an Expedia.com ad banner)
Old 12-19-2002, 10:04 PM   #3
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

This is a good one:<BR> <A HREF="http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/134597183_lotr17.html" TARGET=_blank>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/134597183_lotr17.html</A> <P>I mostly agree with her sentiments, and the way she describes FotR sums up just how I felt about it: bluish green. Strange, I know.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:41 PM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Whoopies! My bad! Link has been corrected above. <P>BTW Manwe - I'm a girl.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:54 PM   #5
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dűm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Awesome review.<P>I agree the movie was basically salvaged by Gollum. Cheer Serkis. Also Sam helped.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:52 AM   #6
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, I think that KC reviewer is brain dead. The TTT book sets it up as two stories, if PJ did that it would defacto be two seperate movies. Not good. If you were not able to keep up with the plots from scene to scene I think your grey matter is a little bit on the white side.<BR>PG used a tried and true movir formula that works quite well.
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:20 AM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

The KC reviewer never said he couldn't follow the various plots. He said that the cuts between the three stories were done badly. And with that, I agree. <P>He also said that the second film does not have the humanity of the first, and with that I <I>totally</I> agree.<P>Some people like film tricks, and some people like great acting and character development. All a matter of taste, I guess.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:30 AM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Dear Birdie,<P>who certainly is a lady. <P>Here's a link to a very laudatory review in Canada's <I>National Post</I>, which comes out of Toronto. Review written by Jeet Heer.<P>One interesting observation: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In <I>The Two Towers</I>, a different form of temptation takes hold: the seduction of sloth. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.canada.com/entertainment/story.asp?id={02FA1466-8E85-44B3-932C-95825C" TARGET=_blank>Soul-stirring</A><P>Bethberry
Old 12-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #9
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I think that there are many different reviews out there and some of them represent our varied views about this movie. I think that the main problem PJ is confronted with TTT is that the way he did it doesn't capture the audience. Sure FotR had many criticisms too, but the way PJ did it had mostly every one satisfied and leaving the movies knowing they will love it forever. TTT on the other hand was taken by a very different approach than FotR. The main thing is that he changed it from the book to much. Also some characters were changed more than others. And many more factors contributed to the way TTT turned out. TTT was so varied, it resulted in mixed feelings and different criticisms. I think very few of us will feel almost exacly the same on this movie. And it goes for the people who write out these reviews. They are so varied and diverse. One moment you'll see a review praising gollum, the next one is saying it sucked. It just gets so complicated. And if you see this site, you'll probably agree.<P><A HREF="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheLordoftheRingsTheTwoTowers-1118285/" TARGET=_blank>Rotten Tomatoes</A><P>Oh yeah, you can thank Diamond 18 for the link.<P>The farther the movie strays from the book, the more mixed/different feelings there will be.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 08:22 AM   #10
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You say that PJ didn't capture the audience. Well then I must be a very easy capture. You must remember that this part of the story HAS NO BEGINNING. In the Fellowhship, it's much easier to bring an audience in with the lush fields of the Shire. In the Fellowship we can gruadually get a scence of this world with the Hobbits. But in TTT the hobbits are already familiar with what's at stake and PJ needs another way to bring us in. I think that showing us Gandalf's fall was great.<P>Also remember that in the Fellowship there was one journey. Four hobbits to Rivendell then nine companions to the Falls.<P>In the Two Towers there are three story lines. I think PJ did a great job cutting from one part of the story to another. I agree that they were many times unexpected but I thought of them as a nice suprise rather then a chance to mess up the story.<BR>