Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2004, 12:15 PM   #81
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pippin,

Good questions! Here's my view on this.

First, the person who wasn't supposed to get home right away is Regin's character Eric. He is the young boy who gets lost and we'll have to go out and find him. He's still out wandering somewhere unidentified. No one should see or talk to him for the moment. Everyone else should make it home in the next day or so (real time). Then we'll all go looking for Eric. If we want to keep on track with the outline, we'll need to rescue Eric by about next Tuesday August 3. That would be two weeks from the start of the game (on July 21).

Secondly, regarding the dog Hawkwood, I assumed the dog bounded away across the field when he saw the two teens, started running up the hill, but then turned back. Elian and Elanor had to climb fairly high and navigate around and over some large boulders to be able to go forward. I assumed the dog couldn't make it up this high and ran back. I've added a short paragraph to my post to clarify this.

Also to help get things in the right order, I've put my last post under yours. You raised the question where Elian is. So, to make chronological sense, my post should be after yours (instead of before), and I've moved it later. As far as my question at the end of my post as to where everyone is....I know my dad and one brother are home. I expect them to come rushing out in a minute.

Hope this clarifies things and helps.

Regin - In the next few days, could you give us another post on Eric being lost and give us some idea or clue we could eventually follow to find him?

Kransha - It's good to see that Smaug is enjoying himself at the expense of the poor folk of Dale....

BTW, Smaug has generously chowed down on all the livestock on the farm's outside Dale. (This dragon has some appetite!) If anyone wants to discover that the Millwood or Whitfield family cow has met an unfortunate and bloody demise, be my guest....
Old 07-26-2004, 12:16 PM   #82
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Pippin Pondlily has just left Hobbiton.
Okay, that helps a lot, thanks.

I'll either post again later tonight if I know I wont have time again before I leave or sometime around lunch tomorrow.

- P. Pondlily
Old 07-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #83
Child of the 7th Age

Thanks Pippin and Nurumaiel for that update. Your absences overlap. I believe this means that the entire job of posting for the family would fall on Fallinel for about a week. This might be a bit heavy.

Fallinel - If you'd like, Arwen or I can assist as needed. We'd just have to be careful not to conflict in our posts. Let us know....

Hope this is alright with everyone.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:19 AM   #84
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Fallinel-

As Child has said, we would be glad to help carry the family. Although we are carrying Ara's character as well, I'm sure we can do this too.

I'm putting up a save now, to be filled when I return home for the public library.

~Fëa
Old 07-27-2004, 10:06 AM   #85
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
The dragon cometh...

Forgive me, all, I was unable to post in this thread last night when my post went up. Luckily, Child covered that for me well. I will add thereto an explanation anyway, just to make understood exactly what Smaug has done and is doing at present.

Smaug has indeed cleared the fields of livestock, save one or two who he missed in his haste. For about two more days of real time, he'll be dragging his bulk through Dale's streets, destroying everything he can destroy. On Friday, or perhaps Thurdsay, US Eastern Time about midday, Smaug will elaborately attack Erebor. Then the day after, giving time for the Dale folk to watch the lightshow, he'll turn on Dale again and really start wreaking havoc.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 07-27-2004, 09:00 PM   #86
Fallinel
Pile O'Bones

Fallinel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Fallinel
Hello all,

OK, I was a bit confused by the way things happened after my latest post, but it seems that the storyline can be made consistent with minor editing to my post. I was thinking that when Rhysdan's dog ran away towards the two figures (Elian and Elanor), he was still pretty high up in the foothills, and running downhill to greet them. Rhysdan and Hawkweed would have hiked quite far in search of the lost sheep, and the two teenagers would have run uphill a fair distance in their detour around Smaug, so the "meeting" was actually consistent with Elanor's high vantage point.

Anyway, I will have Elanor part company with Elian, so that she can run to her farm (as posted), and Elian will join his father for the return trip to their farm.

EDIT: Errr, scratch that, Rhysdan will see that Elanor and Elian can return safely on their own, and he will reach the farms a bit later than the two teenagers.

Last edited by Fallinel; 07-27-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #87
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Au revoir pour maintenant

Well, not a whole lot has happened since last I posted .... unless I was to write about Elian coming home ... but that would take but a few measly paragraphs, not really much for a substantial post ..... I guess I'll just leave it at this unless I get inspired within the next 20 or so minutes, heh.

I'm supposed to be leaving around noon tomorrow unless we get another call from the rangers about any sort of flood watch or bad weather warning that will delay our "take off" or whatever one wants to call it. I'll be back August fifth at the very latest.

Sorry for such a lengthy absence!

- P. Pondlily
Old 07-28-2004, 07:38 AM   #88
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Pippin-

Alas, no problem! We'll carry your character along until you return from your trip. So long!

~Fëa
Old 07-28-2004, 11:14 AM   #89
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

My post is up. Eric has finally found his way home or has he...... His jacket got wet so he took it off when he got out of the boat (cough, cough).

- Regin
Old 07-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #90
Child of the 7th Age

Thumbs up

Thank you, Regin. What with muddy trails, discarded jackets and floating boats, you've left us a number of clues.

General note to everyone:

Where everyone is now.....

My post is also up. Since Ara did not show, she will be carried by three posters -- Arwen, myself, and, when he gets found, Regin. We seem to be in gear now. It is getting towards nightfall. I thought I'd summarize where we are to make sure we're all on the same page.

First, as far as I can see, everyone is home except Rhysdan and Eric. Eric is truly lost and Rhysdan is out helping a neighbor. Of course, no one knows that -- the families only know they are missing.

We've started a search on the farm itself and nearby land to locate the two missing culprits.

Fallinel -- you have a choice... you can have Rhysdan come home now and join with the others in the search, or you can have him get waylaid temporarily somewhere along the way, helping someone or whatever is plausible for the story. If you do that, you'll probably want him found by the time we go on that wider hunt for Eric. ( By the way, you did a great job editing your post. If you think I or someone else has misunderstood what you've written, just send a pm or put a note on the discussion thread. Most of us will be happy to edit if we can.)

BTW, Regin is truly lost. No one should find him for now, although you are free to look in various places and feel guilty if that fits the bill!

So for the moment, let's search close to the house. Maybe on the weekend, we can expand outward and search for him over wider territory? He should be found by next Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest to stay on schedule.

How does this sound to Arwen and everyone else? The hard thing with a short RPG is staying on track so I will put a periodic update here as to where I think everyone is and where we're going. I am also having trouble keeping track of where people are, so if I make a goof about your character, post another note on the thread.

Now where did that crazy dragon go?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #91
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Well, it seems that Child has covered everything I wanted to say. On Wednesday or Thursday of next week, we'll move on to the next point in the storyline. Then I'll put up points three and maybe four.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation.

~Fëa
Old 07-31-2004, 09:43 PM   #92
Child of the 7th Age

This is tough to keep the story going with so many people gone.

Arwen -- I've filled in my save. Elanor and Elian are heading back to the farmhouse with at least some idea of where Eric may be. Do you want to do a post where the mom and dad make a decision whether or not we should search at night or wait till the next morning? Then, maybe next week, we could start out from there, following those clues?

Kransha.....please check your pms.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:38 PM   #93
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Child--

I believe that I will do a post, saying that we'll keep searching that night. We can't have poor little Eric out there by himself all night!

~Fëa
Old 08-03-2004, 11:49 PM   #94
Child of the 7th Age

Arwen -

I've pushed us forward to the point where the boat was originally moored.

I had to make one change in my earlier post. In order for us to follow the clues in order, Eric had to head southeast instead of northeast. I've made the change in my own earlier post. Could you change the reference in yours from north to south?

Arinn has to decide what to do next. Be merciful and let us sleep for an hour or two. In the morning we can start to follow the rest of the clues in Regin's post.

The only thing is we don't want to get there until Regin has posted his response to Kransha. If necessary, I'll save a space for him.

Better yet, Regin, could you save a spot for your experience with the dragon and then the search party could continue after that?

Hopefully, our vacationers will be returning soon!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:19 PM   #95
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I have posted for Eric's experience with the Dragon. What a traumatic ordeal! Eric is terrified, yet determined as ever. What a ferocious beast that Dragon. He really should learn some manners.

- Regin
Old 08-05-2004, 08:23 AM   #96
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Just as notification:

I will be gone, on holiday/vacation/excursions/what-have-you, beginning today and ending Monday next, when I will return for a night and then go on another several day excursion. I'll probably be able to post if needed on Monday night or Tuesday morning, but otherwise, I'll be temporarily absent without BD access. I'm sure everyone will be able to survive without me for a little while (who am I kidding, you'll all probably wither and die without my brilliance to warm your souls, but I digress).

Farewell, auf weiderschen, au revoir, and all that...

Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #97
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I have returned from long, enjoyable, and weary travellings, and have finished reading through all posts that have come up in my absence. I must confess, however, that I am in some confusion as to where Daisy and her mother are currently. Are they where we left off (where Daisy had tried to run away and her mother had caught her) or have they moved on.

Quote:
I'm sure everyone will be able to survive without me for a little while (who am I kidding, you'll all probably wither and die without my brilliance to warm your souls...
Actually, Kransha, I do believe that we have a much better chance of surviving when Smaug isn't around.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:46 PM   #98
Child of the 7th Age

Nuru,

So good to see you. Hope you enjoyed your trip. This is where I think we are:

• Rhysdan went out to help some neighbors, and hasn't returned yet, which is a cause of some concern! Daisy is with her mom.
  • Eric is definitely lost. He drifted down the river in a boat south of the farm, left behind a number of clues in his post, and was blasted at by the dragon when he lay down to sleep. He is on the east side of the river instead of the west where he lives, but he hasn't figured that out.
  • In my last post, seven of us went to look for Rhysdan and epecially for Eric, whom we're most worried about. This included Arinn, Willow, Eli, and Elanor Millwind plus Esmerelda, Daisy, and Elian Whitfield. At one point in my post, Daisy was so tired that Arlinn hoisted her on his shoulders.
  • In my last post, we just found Eric's footprints right near a spot on the river where a small boat had obviously been moored.
  • We're waiting for Arlinn's advice on what we should do next--it is a few hours till dawn. Do we push on or rest, hopefully the latter for a bit.

Hope this helps some. Hopefully Pippin will be back soon too!
Old 08-05-2004, 03:53 PM   #99
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Alas, our dragon is going to give these poor farmers a bit of a respite while he goes galavanting somewhere! I'm sure we'll manage. Have fun Kransha!

I'm off to post now with Arinn's desicion. Is he a very evil man that will make them push on forever? *evil laugh* No, of course not. He'll give them a few hours of rest and then keep looking for Eli.

~Fëa
Old 08-05-2004, 09:37 PM   #100
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

I just got back about 3 hours ago and between all the supervising/sorting things for the people to wash/dry clean/put away blah blah blah I've managed to post. I read the discussion thread but don't have time for read all the posts on the game thread tonight. I'll read it during breakfast tomorrow most probably and update my character and what she's doing, eh?

Sooo tired,
Pippin
Old 08-05-2004, 10:20 PM   #101
Child of the 7th Age

Thumbs up

Yeah! It is very good to see both you and Nurumaiel again. Will look forward to seeing your post.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:46 AM   #102
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Nuru:

Please check your PMs, and welcome back! You too Pippin!

My save has been filled.
~Fëa
Old 08-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #103
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Arwen, I'm in some confusion as to what I should do with my latest post. When I wrote it out you had a SAVE put up which you just recently filled in. In my post I had interaction between Daisy and her mother sitting by the river, but in your post you have the group continuing on as morning comes. As my post comes after yours it just doesn't fit. What would you like me to do? Write an entirely new post and delete the old one, or....?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:23 PM   #104
Child of the 7th Age

Normally, the person who fills in the earlier save needs to take into acount of anything written afterwards and conform to that.

However, there is an easier solution here, I think. I can easily move Nuru's post so that it comes before Arwen's. I would put it inside an earlier box but with a heading to show it was hers.

Nurumaiel, would this work for you? The alternative is for Arwen to hop her post forward after yours, if she gets to do the transfer before I do....

Please let me know.

Cami, Shire Moderator
Old 08-07-2004, 08:39 AM   #105
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Child, Nuru:

I'll go ahead and hop my post so it's after Nuru's. The thing is, I wrote that post before Nuru's had been posted. I didn't notice it until after I had filled in my SAVE.

Sorry for the confusion,
Fëa
Old 08-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #106
Child of the 7th Age

Thanks, Arwen. I think that works.

I have just yelled at everyone to wake up and get us out on the road. The Dragon has done a fly-by. Krandsha - You may or may not need/want to comment on my very brief reference, but I have put in a save in case you need it. If not needed, I will erase later.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:06 PM   #107
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

I'm on my Mum's laptop while she's out of her office at the moment to let you know what's going on. My computer crashed and I'm getting a new one tomorrow after church so I will definitely post then. SOO sorry for the delay!!

- P. Pondlily

PS I have had time to print out the posts so I'll read them now and get something ready to post right away. It's the least I can do.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:35 PM   #108
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Ok, I've got a brand new computer that is in top condition so there won't be anymore technical delays on my part.

I've got a post up for Esmerelda (which I hope is accurate) and am ready to get back into this RPG. Thanks all for your patience.

- P. Pondlily
Old 08-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #109
Child of the 7th Age

Pippin,

Glad to hear that the computer thing worked out. We're eager to hear from Esmerelda...

Also Pippin and Nurumaiel , please check your pms.

~Cami

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 08-08-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #110
Fallinel
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

Hello all,

I've had a very busy week at work, with no time to post properly. I'll have Rhysdan catch up with the others-he'll find a note from Esmerelda at the farmhouse, then head over to the Millwind homestead. Probably I will have Hawkweed the dog lead him to the point at which the others find Eric's footprints.

Fallinel ,

Glad to see you, but please check your pms before you write anything more. You'll need to catch up with the storyline as it's developed, rather than going back and trying to reconstruct. We look forward to seeing your edited post....

Cami Goodchild, Shire Moderator (Child of the 7th Age)

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 08-08-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #111
Child of the 7th Age

General Note:

Until Fallinel puts up her revised post in the present save or a later space on the game, we will continue assuming that poor Uncle Rhysdan is "lost". So Esmerelda and Daisy can continue weeping!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:19 AM   #112
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Everyone:

After Fallinel's edited post is up, I will put in a post at my SAVE about going out on the search again. One question, Child- how far should I carry this post? In other words, to what spot on the clue line? We should be finding Eric by tomorrow or Wednesday... or should we go ahead and find him in my post?

~Fëa
Old 08-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #113
Fallinel
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

My edited post *is* up; I wrote it and inserted it last night. Rhysdan and his dog are at the Millwind farm, caught up chronologically to the point at which the search for Eric will resume. You can use Rhysdan and Hawkweed for the search party, or they can remain at the farm for any livestock chores or emergency organization in the farming community.

~ Fallinel
Old 08-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #114
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Child - Nurumaiel and I sorted out the little ordeal and she's alright with my post as is. Thanks!

Two questions:

1. I thought Smaug ate all Dale's livestock except for a literal handful that are now frightened and running around like mad? And I was also under the impression that the town was half burning/destroyed... Am I correct in my understandings?

and 2. On the RPG thread in ArwenBaggins's save it says: "After Pippin's post is edited" but I assume she means Fallinel because I am not sure what in my post needed to be rewritten and in the Discussion Thread she mentioned Fallinel's edited post...

Only wondering,

- P. Pondlily
Old 08-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #115
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Hullo, 'ullo. I'm back, as y'all can plainly see. I'll be leaving again Wednesday, but only for a day or two. Now, to the other business at hand.

Child, all references are fine in your post. I don't believe I will need the Save you placed for me, since any post I made now would not be out of place. Thanks very much anyway for thinking of me.

Pippin P., your understandings are well understood. The section of Dale nearest the Lonely Mountain is semi-decimated, somewhat on fire, but not utterly annihilated. At present, Smaug is just having fiery fun with the fringes of town.

If necessary, and after reviewing all posts in detail, I will post, but not if it is unnecessary. I have time to post, so I can when called upon. You may all resume cowering in fear while Smaug terrorizes Dale and the surrounding countryside.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #116
Child of the 7th Age

Pippin,

About the reference to the "edit of Pippin's post". My guess is that Arwen actually meant that she'd wait for you and Nurumaiel to communicate before she filled in her save. She wanted to be sure whether you were staying at the house or going out searching again.

So now, I think, we are all on the same page. Kransha - temporarily welcome back!

I am going to do a short post right before Arwen's save. In effect it will summarize where we are now:

1. the Whitfields have been reunited,
2. Let's have Daisy, Esmerelda, and little Eli stay behind at the house.
3. Arlinn, Rhysdan (per Fallinel ), Elanor, and Elian will be heading back to the river to try and find Eric.
4. I'll also have Willow suggest that those staying behind work on packing some small satchels of clothes for both families. If the dragon keeps up his rampage in the immediate area(and I'm sure we can count on him!), the families may have to flee the house.

I'll stop my post just as we cross the threshold so Arwen can take over with her post leading the search party on. Arwen, can you lead us to the first clue---discover the place along the river where Eric's boat is pulled up on the beach and the path that leads out from that? Then, the next post--whoever does it from the search party-- could cover the jacket Eric discarded and that horrible gaping hole the dragon burned in the ground.

The folk at the house are on their own till we get back!

If anybody has any other ideas, just post them on this thread.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:25 AM   #117
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Everyone:

I'm going to do my post now, containing everything which Child said. Then, anyone in the search party can bring us to the next point.

~Fëa
Old 08-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #118
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril I Am So Sorry!!

I am so sorry to have disappeared all of a sudden. I got very sick over a couple of days and ended up in the emergency room and admitted to the ICU. I had several absesses in my abdomen and they had to operate to get them all removed. In the process, I lost another part. Not fun. I got out of the hospital on Friday and have been too sore to get online since it hurts to sit up straight to type. I still have staples and retention sutures that come out Thursday. After I was hospitalized, I was so drugged with pain stuff and antibiotics that I couldn't think clear enough to have anyone come here for me and post. Please don't disallow me from future games. I am so sorry that this happened!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:42 PM   #119
Child of the 7th Age

Ara -

I am very sorry to hear what's happened. We have missed you and carried along Willow as best we could. I did remember that you'd said once about having to visit an emergency room.

No -- a medical situation preventing you from playing in a single game certainly does not disallow you from future participation. Just get well now. I've also written you a separate pm.

~Child
Old 08-10-2004, 04:39 PM   #120
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'll be fine as soon as these darned retention sutures come out on Thursday. They hurt!!

Is there anything I can do to help? I'm so sorry I created a difficulty in the game!