User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2004, 11:35 PM   #241
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

No, I think the numbers are just right... I shall try to get a post up soon -- my computer will be back in two days and then I shall have all the time in the world!

Excellent *rubs hands and laughs maniacally*

Cheers!
Istawen

Old 02-17-2004, 05:50 PM   #242
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dūm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
I am back! sorry I couldn't post while I was connected, but I spent my last moments in that forsaken city with Elencala Isil, and I can't really roleplay with someone right there, and I think its sort of rude... so... when I got back they had already killed the computer, and I just got it hooked back up to the internet about an hour ago... well, the 'downs looks different... I have to go edit a few things in my profile... but first, I shall read the posts! and hopefully understand what is going on...

~Alatįriel

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 02-17-2004, 08:16 PM   #243
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think the number of attackers are very suitable, LMP! I fancy both our game group and the players shall find they can handle it, whatever challenge!

Imladris, I will do a post for Anson as soon as your own is on the game, for I do not doubt than Anson will follow Gorby unless ordered very strictly to do otherwise!

I must admit I'm quite excited to have the opportunity to actually do a real post in the game. Hopefully there will be no more long, unexpected absences from me.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:17 AM   #244
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

OOO Sixty men, eh! That ought to be very interesting. Just thought I'd tell all of you that Esgallhugwen will go on unless all the rest turn back to Bree. She really wants to find out who this New Dark Lord is and to see if Eodwine is still alive or not.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:56 PM   #245
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Bother, I'm confused all of a sudden. When are they going to have this little conversation about who wants to do what? When Falco says that they should go back, does that mean, "Go back to Bree"?

Sorry. I know I must be missing something really obvious...

Cheers!
Imladris

Old 02-19-2004, 12:29 PM   #246
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
I'm in agreement with Imladris (I seem to be very dyslexic, forgetful, and clumsy as well...oh yes, the perfect elf lol). But it seems to me that there would be a very easy solution. In this fight....we are very outnumbered, to say the least. Here's my solution: Those who have already stated that their characters will not continue on should go back....at least to an agreed place. Like for instance, Lira could go with Anson and Gorby and help protect them and flee back to the manse or Bree...whichever. Everyone else could stay and fight, or they could run...in a different direction from Lira & co. It would be easier to kill the large group of brigands in a guerilla fashion or they could just run and hide, then carefully infiltrate their stronghold (hopefully unnoticed). Anyway, that's a few of my screwy ideas. Hope I wrote them in an understandable way (I have a tendancy to not write my ideas well sometimes).
Old 02-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #247
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eye

My idea was that the discussion about who should go back to Bree would be happening from the Manse to the stronghold. That is to say, the topic would keep coming up over and over again without a decision being made until the last possible moment (or maybe a little sooner than that), causing all kinds of cool conflict within the group. *rubs his hands in delight* We likes conflict, yessss we doessss, my preciousssss >:-)

New Dark Lord? Who mentioned a New Dark Lord?

Lumiel's idea (or was it Imladris's or both?) to have the parties split up certainly would make things interesting. It has happened before with Falowik and Uien getting lost in Deadmen's Dike.

But a final split happen in the middle of a melee? Yeah, it happened at the end of FOTR, but you can bet a certain couple of leaders and whatnot would NOT be happy about it turning out that way. But that's what great stories are made of, eh?

So write what you want to and we'll see what happens.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:11 PM   #248
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

well i mentioned a sort of New Dark Lord, because in the RP Falco mentions something of the fact that this Master of the Brigands seems to be trying to become the new Dark Lord, because of his evil menace and the clues the party keeps on finding. Hope that isn't too confusing, I too have problems with getting my point across sometimes
Old 02-19-2004, 04:06 PM   #249
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Okay, I have finally posted....*wipes brow* I'm sorry it took me so long but things just kept piling up and stuff...

Nurumaiel , I hope I did alright with your character. If you wish, you can elaborate on their conversation in your post.

Cheers!
Istawen

Old 02-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #250
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eye

Eswen, I was teasing. Of course, it's worth noting that it's Falco who mentions a Dark Lord, so how much do you trust what he says? Apparently, Eswen doesn't entirely, if I did well by you, putting those words in her mouth. So the question remains, is Falco full of it, or is he on to something?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:59 AM   #251
Lumiel

Just want to clarify something in case it's taken the wrong way: Lumiel is not copying Eswen. Lumiel has no hidden personality inside her. She's only acting like some crazy, psycho-killer elf to make the brigands afraid and shift their attention from Lira to her. She saw it work with Eswen, and realizes that almost certainly the men there know of the Dark Queen.

And also, in my post I mention that Eswen is a "dark force". I am not saying that she has become the Dark Queen (although maybe she has, that's up to Eswen ), but rather that even without being a Dark Queen, she's a scary lady in battle!

Just wanted to clear that up!
Old 02-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #252
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A number of Gamers have had problems with their PM’s filling up. Here is the reason:

For everyone’s information about PM’s

The new PM system has 3 folders in it:
  • Inbox
  • Save A Copy (Sent Messages are saved in this folder)
  • Request Read Receipt (Tracks Your Messages and Replies)

You are only allowed a total of 10 messages in the 3 folders. (Not 10 in each folder, but 10 PM’s for all 3 folders)

So, you can have ‘0’ messages showing in your Inbox, but have ‘5’ in your Sent Messages and ‘5’ in your Tracked Messages.

One of the big problems with PM’s filling up is that when you send a PM or reply to one, you need to look at those little OPTIONS below the box where you are writing the message.

You need to uncheck the last 2 OPTIONS – unless you absolutely want to use them. If you don’t uncheck them, then when you press SEND, a copy of the PM will be put in the SENT folder and another will be put in the TRACK MESSAGE folder. That’s how the PM total adds up, even though you think you are only dealing with one message.

It’s like rabbits – they multiply like crazy!
Old 02-21-2004, 12:39 AM   #253
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien problem

I hate to be a pain, but I think there is some confusion here (I must not have been clear enough in my post)

First, Gorby's pony is shot and killed.

After that, Anson pulled Gorby behind him onto his pony.

Then Lira decideds to lead them to safety back towards Fornost. During this time, she is on Merkaliel and the two hobbits are on Anson's pony. As they are fleeing, she is watching their backs, killing as she goes of course....

Then Merkaliel is shot (I think the horse could possibly survive), Anson's pony is spooked, and Anson is winded near Lira. Gorby has disappeared. They were almost outside the circle when they fell...how far away that would be from Fornost I have no idea.

I'd assume that as the attack went on, the circle would grow smaller as the assailants converged upon the good guys, am I right? So Lira trying to get the hobbits to safety isn't so unreal is it even if they don't get to Fornost, right? There are plenty of places that the hobbits could lay low (the copse of trees, maybe a boulder, and whatnot). Or am I misunderstanding Falco's statement, LMP?

Again, my apologies.

Cheers!
Istawen

Old 02-21-2004, 08:12 AM   #254
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

My sorry, Istawen. Remember, Falco thinks he knows everything, and he's sure of that, too. I'll fix my post to show that Lira and the hobbits are on their mounts yet. I'll figure something out for the rest of it.

Do remember, though, that the narration had it that the party was an hour outside of Fornost when the attack occurrred. So Lira and friends may need to hide. And by the way, Lira's idea to draw off some of the force and so divide and conquer is just as valid as Falco's idea of keeping everybody together. It's just a matter of who is expecting to win. Falco sees the good guys at a severe disadvantage and so thinks defensively, and doesn't want to be divided.

But by dividing the enemy into 2 groups, the good guys may have a better chance to wrap things up quickly. Not without taking a little damage, of course.

And where's Menel?
Old 02-21-2004, 09:30 AM   #255
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

*knocks head on walls* I'm sorry about the character thing with Falco, LMP! *blush* Thank you for editing...it's too bad that we couldn't use the ten men following them idea....

Again, apologies!

Old 02-22-2004, 05:34 AM   #256
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Apology accepted and totally unnecessary, Imladris.

The ten horsmen are still coming. It's toward the end of my last post. They're not right on your tails, but they're coming all the same. And without Falco's help, this time.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #257
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

I finished my post yesterday and had the opportunity to put it up today. Anson is unharmed, and he and Lira have found Gorby, who is also unharmed. They're now searching for somewhere to hide.

Imladris? Would you like to take it from here?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:26 PM   #258
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Ah, very nice post, Nurumaiel! I shall have a post up tonight....hopefully, when I am not rushed and distractions do not cloud the inspiration....

Cheers!
Istawen

Edit: I did a little something with Lira and Co. If you don't like it, Nurumaiel, just tell me and I'll figure something else out or we can do a little conniving on our own.

Last edited by Imladris; 02-22-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #259
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Now I'm confused. I thought I was supposed to correct my post to show Lira and Anson and Gorby on horse, and now they're running on foot in Anson's and Lira's posts. Help!
Old 02-22-2004, 08:44 PM   #260
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

You did correct your post, LMP. Well, I think you corrected it since it's different than before. What you had said before you corrected that Lira and the hobbits were on foot all the way. What had really happened was that they had been on horse until Merkaliel had gotten shot, then Anson's horse spooked and ran off.

So now that all their horses are dead by the cruel hand of fate, they are hiding in some trees now...

Last edited by Imladris; 02-23-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #261
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Ooookay. Got it.

*sniff* You mean Merkelial has bought it? How sad!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #262
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Yes, Esgallhugwen the Great Dark Queen has been injured, and to think some of you had your doubts. But notice how the Dark Queen has not truly shown herself yet to the horsemen, anyway she will survive and grudges the thought of retreating since it is not like her to do, but she'll do what's best for the company.

So where has dear old Corn got to havn't heard from him, hope he hasn't bitten the dust as well, that would be a pity, I must admit I was a little crushed to hear that Gorby's pony and dear Merkaliel have gone from Middle-Earth and will never return

Well that's the way the bal bounces. ta ta for now.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #263
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Yeah, about Merkaliel...it just sort of happened -- I certainly never planned it that way. Once Lira fully realizes it, she'll be devestated.

Nurumaiel , I have Gorby and Anson up in a tree together...I don't know, do you have any ideas for them? Lira brought them into a copse (which was probably a stupid thing to do), and now they have nine men hunting them on the ground. I thought that I'd let you get a post in or something before I wrote a post with Gorby.

Old 02-26-2004, 03:54 PM   #264
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Imladris, the post is done. The three of them have had a brief moment to contemplate the loss of their steeds, and Anson is feeling the loss of his keenly though the pony did not meet as terrible a fate as the other two. Still, he regrets that his pony is gone, whether it was killed or ran away.

Count on Anson's full kindness and comforting towards Lira when this is all over. His soft heart with be able to understand her sorrow at the death of Merkaliel as well as may be expected.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:29 PM   #265
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I have a few suggestions. Would you mind if I run them by you?

OK, I'll say 'em anyway.

I'm wondering who this "Master" is, and why he's doing the leeching. He seems to be some kind of dark sorcerer, and I can only come up with two possibilities (if you want to really make things interesting)

-One of the Blue Wizards (likely, since these men come from the same area they went to)

-The Mouth of Sauron (nowhere does it actually say he died, and things could get really creepy this way)

Just some interesting ideas from the top of my head. Feel free to accept or reject them as you like, but I want to know more instead of being stuck with a huge mystery.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:11 PM   #266
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Good guesses, Menel. Elora and I have the Master's identity worked out in advance, and it has been kept hidden, and we are dropping clues to the rest of you to slowly piece things together. Have fun with it.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:28 PM   #267
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sting summary of the melee

What a blast! You guys kick! All right, I've reconstructed the melee based on all our posts, and found it necessary to have the leader hold 20 extra horsemen in reserve. I'll break this down into four "pictures".

Picture 1: initial layout (I've taken a few liberties for organizational purposes):

Thoronmir is in front. On his right flank is Falowik, who leads tethered a half dozen horses. Uien rides behind Thoronmir and next to Falowik. Lumiel rides just behind Falowik's horses. On Thoronmir's left flank is Finéwen. Eswen is just behind Finéwen, with Lira taking up the rear. The three hobbit ponies are surrounded by Uien in front, Lumiel on their right, Eswen on their left, and Lira in back.

They are faced with three hills, one in front (west), one on the right (north), and one on the left (south). The enemy are in companies of 10. We'll call them Companies A, B, C, D, E, & F, with G & H held in reserve. On the hill in front of them are 21 horsemen: the leader, and companies C & D; to their right are 20 horsemen, companies A & B; to their left are 20 horsemen, companies E & F. The leader holds a reserve of another 20 behind the hill, companies G & H.

Picture 2: first phase of the brigands' attack

Uien, Anson, Gorby, Falco and their mounts, and the six horses, are surrounded by the others. Company A charges Lira and Lumiel. Company B charages Lumiel and Falowik. Company C charges Falowik and Thoronmir. Company D charges Thoronmir and Finéwen. Company E holds back. Company F charges Eswen. The elves shoot arrows and take out 3 horsemen each from Companies A & B. Lumiel and Lira each kill 2 of Company A by the sword. Falowik kills 1 of Company B. Eswen kills 2 more of Company F. Thoronmir kills 3 of Company C. Finéwen kills 2 of Company D. Falco spends his energy making sure of all those wounded, so he gets no kills per se.

Then Lira takes herself away from the fighting to check on Gorby and Anson. Meanwhile, Lumiel kills 2 more of Company B. Falowik kills another of Company B.

Company A: gone
Company B: 8
Company C: 7
Company D: 8
Company E: 10
Company F: 5
Company G: 10
Company H: 10

Picture 3: Lira and hobbits head for the copse

The copse is up a fourth hill which the party passed on their right. It is the hill to the east, the one way that they have free, especially because most of the damage has been done to the enemy against the companies that were closest to the rear of the party.

Their numbers severely depleted toward the rear of the party, Companies B & C shift toward the rear.

Lira, Gorby, and Anson run for the copse. While Lira is doing this, she kills 2 more of Company B. Lumiel kills 2 more of Company B. Falowik kills 1 more of Company C. Thoronmir kills 3 of Company C. Finéwen kills 2 more of Company D. Eswen takes out 2 more of Company F.

Company E starts by shifting around to where it looks like most reinforcements are needed, which is by Lumiel and Lira, but on their way around they see Lira and the hobbits running for the far hill, and all ten give chase - but they've taken the long way around and do not catch up until the three have made it into the copse.

Company B: 4
Company C: 3
Company D: 6
Company E: 10
Company F: 3

Picture 4: The main group move toward the copse to rejoin Lira and the hobbits.

Lira kills 3 of Company E with bow and arrow. Thoronmir kills 3 more of Company D. Falowik kills 1 more of Company C. Lumiel kills 2 of Company B. Eswen finishes off Company F & B with bow and arrow. Finéwen kills 2 more of Company D.

Company B: gone
Company C: 2
Company D: 3
Company E: 7
Company F: 1

At this point the leader releases his two companies held in reserve (he waited way too long). Thoronmir calls for a retreat to the copse. Thoronmir is joined by Lumiel and Eswen, and Finéwen follows close behind. Falowik picks up Uien and follows the others. Falco is forgotten about, left among the horses and ponies; it is dark and he decides to stay hidden in the dark among the horses.

While they gallop up the hill, various of the party dispatch what is left of Companies C & D & F, and even manage to take out 3 of Company G. Thoronmir blasts through Company E, taking out one more of them, and everybody but Falco is within the protection of the trees, although Thoronmir's horse falls on him.

Company E: 6
Company G: 7
Leader: 1

Enemy killed: 57. Left standing: 24. The party still numbers 10, and 3 of them are wounded. The remaining 7 have taken not even a scratch.

Here's the upshot. We're tougher (and luckier) than we think. Now that we're among the trees, it will be even harder for the enemy to take us out; and Elven night vision will make the enemy easy pickings with bow and arrow. Yes, they have us surrounded (except for Falco), but the only way they can extricate us is to burn the copse down. They haven't thought of that yet, but it may not take long.

So, here's what I need from you guys: each of you please edit your most recent posts to take into account the fact that the force arrayed against us has been almost completely depleted, and they are likely to be severely demoralized.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:55 PM   #268
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hope i did ok on that last post of mine if not I'd be more then happy to fix it up for you. I'm not sure if i captured the situation correctly or not.

I'm quite the nasty Elf aren't I? I mean I just impaled someone in the throat with a spear on purpose!!
Old 02-27-2004, 07:52 PM   #269
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

I'm having a thought here....

How much food do they have left? How much of it was lost in the melee? They could probably starve to death as well in the copse unless they got out quickly...which I'm not sure how they will get out at this point.

But it would definitely be a consideration and a worry, I'd think...especially for the hobbitses...

I cannot believe that Lira forgot Falco...bad Lira!

Old 02-28-2004, 04:54 PM   #270
Lumiel

Okay...I know that we're all supposed to be somewhat weary and fearful and despairing and the like, and that I had Lumiel kind of not doing that. Just want to explain:

Lumiel does fear what will happen and has a moment of doubt and despair. But she's the type of person who when things get tough, she gets tougher. She always has hope and will do whatever it takes to save those she cares about, no matter the cost to her. So...right now she's ready to lay down her life for those inside the copse.

Here's to hoping for back up.

And here's an idea too: Maybe one (or more?) of the group could be captured. Might make things interesting...just a thought.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #271
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmmm.... seems I misunderstood. I thought we were all in the copse. But according to discussions and posts, it appears that Lira, Gorby and Anson, as well as Thoronmir and Lumiel, are in the copse, and the rest of us are not. That puts the brigands between us.

That means that down the hill and coming at the brigands are: Falowik & Uien, Eswen, Finéwen, and Falco at his own pace. Do I have that right?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #272
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

What? I thought I was already in the copse, unless i've made myself unclear but oh well no biggy If it woul dwork better for me to be outside the copse I'm all for it
Old 03-02-2004, 04:59 AM   #273
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Everybody be where you want your character to be, please just make it clear both here and in your posts which it is, and make them agree with each other. Okay? Thanks!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #274
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dūm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
I'm back! yes, I'm alive- er.. dead! sorry, been really busy... *nod nod* er... so, we are under attack? and battling our enemy, I believe, neh? okay... er... bit lost... but will just do whatever, and if somethings wrong, please do stop me! Thank'ee all so much for dragging Finėwen along! *hands everyone an acorn*

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 03-04-2004, 08:40 PM   #275
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sting

Arg! I got hit with a virus. I'm almost done with the fix phase. I would have posted yesterday but my browser got eaten.

Just to update, I'm taking Lumiel at her choice to be down the hill from the brigands who have the copse surrounded, leaving Thoronmir, Lira, Anson and Gorby surrounded and alone.

Everybody else except for Falco is halfway up the hill, in bow range, putting their best face on a seemingly bad situation.

Let's keep it going, friends.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:29 PM   #276
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Well, I thought the game was kind of lagging, so I mustered up something of a post. Esgallhugwen , let me know if I did anything wrong with your Eswen.

Thanks and cheers to all!
Istawen

Old 03-07-2004, 10:47 AM   #277
Lumiel

Boo-yah! Lumiel's got a half-baked idea!

I edited my earlier post to reflect the fact that she isn't in the copse, and added a new post with a (hopefully) good plan for rescue. If I messed up with Falowik and Finewen, just tell me and I'll edit. Here's to hoping I don't get trampled by a horse....
Old 03-08-2004, 03:20 PM   #278
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Lumiel, did you know that we were close to Lake Evendim before Falco happened upon it? If not, please edit your post so that it has no reference to Evendim. Heck, I didn't know we were that close until I went to a map to see what Falco was going to stumble on!

I'm hoping we can get this melee wrapped up pretty soon, because I'm eager for the next stage. A couple surprises await.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:50 PM   #279
Lumiel

Sorry about that. Saw a reference in an earlier post, so added it not realizing the error. Will fix.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:23 PM   #280
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

I did not take the liberty of ending the fight. The stillness that Gorby hears could be the eye of the storm for all I know just in case the fight is continued...