The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2003, 03:53 PM   #41
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not a monster Andreadawn, but rather great fun. Thanks!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 04:02 PM   #42
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Andreadawn... you've created a great deal of fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks! (I'm the monster [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

Quote:
May I suggest a cameo role for Shelob? It would be so fitting to have her somehow involved in a Stairway to Heaven number.
Perfect! Gollum can take Persephone to the stair!

This is great! Poor unsuspecting Rohan...
Here's the Ramble On RPG Cast (Much to their surprise & chagrin, I'm sure):
Mith - Robert
Mho - Jimmy
Burra - Gollum
Persephone - Bethberry
Shelob - Hilde Bracegirdle (since it was your idea [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
We still need:
John Paul - the quiet one
John - big, burly berserker type

But there's no role for me! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Who can I be????

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Ealasaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:07 PM   #43
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

How about Samantha, Persephone's loyal handmaiden who vainly tries to talk some sense into her, and who keeps rescuing her from her own stupidity?

Perhaps as a side-plot, MhoPage can fall for Samantha, wooing her with mournful guitar solos that echo throughout the Ephel Duath.

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-25-2003, 07:04 PM   #44
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I second that. If I'm to entertain being Shelob, you simply must have a part to play Ealasaide! Oh what tangled webs we weave....

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 10-26-2003, 06:56 AM   #45
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Oh my, I guess I won't have to look far for parody talents if we ever need more for a third part of the "Entish Bow"! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:16 AM   #46
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Oh, marvelous! I'll be Samantha, Persephone's loyal handmaiden. Bring on the long, mournful guitar solos! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 09:11 AM   #47
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

And we'll have to have a scene where the whole band raids an orc-party and steals all of their drums, arranges them in a semi-circle. Then the band cranks it up and summons up a wraith. Or a dead balrog. Or Ancalagon the Black's ghost.

After a truly exceptional solo, Samantha, you can nickname him Mhosie.

In Shelob's webs, will band members meet their drugged demise? Or ignore the warning "drink of no stream that flows from the Imlad Morgul" and find their careless drinking on the deadly side?

Poor heartbroken Samantha! Her wails of despair will rival the guitar solos. Who needs an amp in Mordor with all that natural acoustics?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:03 AM   #48
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

hmmm.... first things first, Mr. Mark. Who will you be playing in our epic drama?

How about Jones, the quiet one? Still waters run deep. He is the conscience and voice of reason for group of heroes. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But who shall be our Bonham-Berserker?

As for how to end this...let's see. I think maybe we should go for the "and then there were none" approach. Each character meets a fate suitable to his or her true nature. For example:

Mith-Plant in a fit of melodramatic anguish tosses himself into the cracks of Mt Doom for the love (and loss) of Persephone.

Persephone eludes Shelob and, with the aid of Gollum, finally reaches the Black Tower where Sauron awaits. She takes one look at him and her mind is destroyed. She spends the rest of her days as a vegetable in Sauron's dungeon.

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 10-26-2003, 10:44 AM   #49
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Eh, not entertaining enough for Sauron... she'd be reduced to gibbering, like Gollum was, but not a vegetable. He'd visit her every now and then, and ask her what music she misses most. Perhaps he'd torture a guitar in front of her, or have an orc sing for her. Or have her stand on the highest parapet and gaze at Mount Doom and say "You could have been his, but now MithRobert can't help you anymore."

I'll just play the lone eagle (giant vulture??) that rescues Samantha in the end. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Or maybe I'll come rambling through the game as Straggle-haired Strider in search of Gollum, and y'all can lie to me and send me on my endless way.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:25 PM   #50
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Yes, that's a much more fitting way for Persephone to go! Veggy-ism would be much too dull for such an ambitious girl. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Okay! You can be the stray eagle who rescues Samantha from Mordor, which is not where she wanted to be in the first place.

As far as
Quote:
Straggle-haired Strider
goes... so you noticed that, too! I was wondering why the movie had him looking so scruffy all the time. You'd think he'd at least comb his hair in Rivendell, eh?

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 10-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #51
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

A futher idea to consider:

Perhaps the four men of Gondor could have purchased, at great price, four prototype elven rings of power that enabled them to create wonderfully memorizing music (but having totally disregarded the disclaimers and precautionary statements).

Persephone could have “borrowed” Mith-Plant’s ring, having heard that Sauron had a great and abiding interest in vintage jewelry and wishing to make a great first impression on the dark lord.

I think somehow the band of four would not meet their end at the hand (or 8 legs) of Shelob. Music sooths the savage beast, so they say. Surely, some song could be found for such a purpose.

As for scuffy Movie Striders…he did comb his hair in Rivendell. Didn’t you notice? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 07:49 PM   #52
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Quote:
Perhaps the four men of Gondor could have purchased, at great price, four prototype elven rings of power
Great idea. There were supposed to be plenty of "Lesser Rings" floating around, after all.

Quote:
that enabled them to create wonderfully memorizing music
Memorizing music: as in absolutely and permanently unforgettable? (Did you mean Mezmerizing?)

Quote:
(but having totally disregarded the disclaimers and precautionary statements).
The artistic types usually do...

Quote:
Persephone could have “borrowed” Mith-Plant’s ring, having heard that Sauron had a great and abiding interest in vintage jewelry and wishing to make a great first impression on the dark lord.

Oooo! And MithPlant follows her tenaciously, seeking his Precious, and falls into the cracks of doom after ... biting it off of her finger? Eeew. Better you than me, Mith. Or maybe he tries to retrieve it, but she puts it on and claims it as her own and shoves the pesky MithPlant into the cracks shouting that she prefers Gollum anyway-- OR -- -- perhaps with Sauron by her side??-- commands him by the power of his Precious Ring of Tunes to leap in, and he sings as he falls. (*sniff* *sob*)
Old 10-26-2003, 11:03 PM   #53
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Quote:
As for scuffy Movie Striders…he did comb his hair in Rivendell. Didn’t you notice?
Okay, then...he could have washed it first! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
MithPlant follows her tenaciously, seeking his Precious, and falls into the cracks of doom after ... biting it off of her finger? Eeew. Better you than me, Mith. Or maybe he tries to retrieve it, but she puts it on and claims it as her own and shoves the pesky MithPlant into the cracks shouting that she prefers Gollum anyway-- OR -- -- perhaps with Sauron by her side??-- commands him by the power of his Precious Ring of Tunes to leap in, and he sings as he falls.
OOOOO! That's great, particularly the last bit! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] But what about the other three?

What ignominious end lies in store for them? Hilde's right... Shelob would be too easy.

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 10-27-2003, 04:25 AM   #54
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Sorry, folks, but I'm going to have to step on the brake here. As amusing as this exchange of ideas is, it has taken on proportions that make it off-topic for this thread. If you'd like to keep this discussion going, perhaps one of you has a suggestion for a new location, a personal site or something similar where it can continue. Thanks!

*Estelyn returns to her rocking chair, picking up her trusty old Ballantine's FotR to research for a post...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-27-2003, 05:00 AM   #55
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Perhaps this rambling does belong in the mirth section!

Quote:
that enabled them to create wonderfully memorizing music
Ah, Helen you caught me! I did mean mezmerizing. Seems Estelyn has a thread out there for that one too!

So sorry to have strayed Miss Telcontar! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 05:06 AM   #56
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ealasaide, do you want to move it to Rohan or The Shire, at the respective Inn? This was your idea. I think you ought to run with it and have fun. Who says satire is only allowed in Gondor?

(EDIT) On the other hand, MithPlant could run it in Gondor if he comes on board. Or I could, even though I've got a very minor part. But it sounds like it could be done easily within the Shire guidelines, quick finish-time etc; and if Child and Pio don't like it, you've already got an invitation from Bethberry.

Last I knew, since I can start games in Gondor, I think that means I can start them in Rohan too, if you need somebody? The rules keep changing, I'm not sure. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] If you decide to run with it and need help, I'll give it my best shot.

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-27-2003, 09:20 AM   #57
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Oops! Sorry, Miss Telcontar! *blushing a deep crimson* I will try to behave in the future!

(Also, sorry Helen for calling you "Mr." Mark. I see now it should have been "Ms." Mark... but Mark seemed like such a masculine name! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Okay, gang... how do we move this nonsense to Middle Earth Mirth? I think that would be the best place for it until we can decide whether we want to (or will be allowed to) turn this into a real satirical RPG. Seriously... that could be a tremendous hoot!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #58
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Getting things back on topic, I hope...
When I was looking through my old LPs in search of Led Zep stuff, I came across a record I had forgotten all about: "Poems and Songs of Middle Earth". The copyright date on it is 1967 and it features Prof. Tolkein reading five stories from the Adventures of Tom Bombadill, as well as "A Elbereth Gilthoniel" in Elvish. It also has five songs from LotR performed by William Elvin and Donald Swann.

I've had it since sometime in the mid-seventies. I was wondering if anyone else has run across it or if it was still in print.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:33 PM   #59
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

That sounds incredibly familar, and I think I may have had a copy, though I do not recall listening to it much. I wish I still had it now, along with a couple of of other Tolkien related items from my younger years, namely some of my books. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 09:32 PM   #60
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Actually, the whole thing is widely available online. I enjoy several of the songs, but especially "In the Willow Meads of Tasarinen". So very Entish!

Mmmm, try here.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:36 PM   #61
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

I had a feeling that it might be! I just hadn't gotten around to looking. I'm glad to know that it is still in circulation.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:10 PM   #62
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I saw the discussion about Zeppelin screwing up LOTR, how about Styx from Pieces of Eight, and the song Lords Of The Ring:
Quote:
All hail to the Lords of the Ring
To the magic and mystery it brings
May we someday wear its glory

And now the message is clear
As I became a Lord this year
Did these guys actually read the book? I didn't think so.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 11:12 PM   #63
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Oooh...yikes! I had forgotten about that one. Maybe they read the book. They just didn't understand it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 11-25-2003, 02:21 AM   #64
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Welcome, Theron! Your signature quote is wonderful for this club!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Yes, it sounds like there were people back then with as little understanding of the books as some Leggyboppers today, doesn't it?! It's always amazed me that the ring should seem glamorous to those who've read the story - I would stay as far away even from a replica as possible! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] (OK, I confess - I did buy a One Ring bookmark, just because it looks so cool to have it dangling from the pages of a book - but I'm not about to wear it as jewelry!)

[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 11-25-2003, 07:49 AM   #65
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I sometimes wear a plain (silver) band on a chain around my neck when there's some bad habit or attitude in my life that I know I have to get rid of. But for me, it's kind of a Lenten thing, and the idea is to get RID of it; March 25 is the goal.

The last time I did that, I really wanted to find someplace to toss it into and melt it down. I never did though. I daydreamed about Mount St Helen's but they don't let you get close enough.

Besides, if I should prove unable to toss the thing, I'd hate to have my finger bitten off. The analogy does break down a little too easily.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:13 AM   #66
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Sting

Ha, mark12_30, good analogy!

Thanks for the welcome Estelyn, and the invitation. The Lady Telcontar sought me out from among the threads of the Barrow-Downs learned, where I was, shall I say, lost as a halfling in the tall grasses of the Westfold. She bid me come hither to the Coming of Age thread, seeing that my "lack of stature" did not correspond to a lack of memories of the days of youth and first discovery of the Grand Saga.
- - - - -
As to Styx and their understanding of LotR.... That particular tune was sung by James Young, and he usually was the lead singer on songs that he wrote. I suspect that he, and likely they, did not read the book at all.

Probable scenario, according to Theron Bugtussle: The LotR book was popular with some people in their circles, they heard some discussion about it while they were "socializing," and this LAME SONG was the result. Styx was verging into the "theatrical" rock mode by this time, maybe they could even sell a few more albums among the teen-pop-semi-literati by associating themselves with this popular book.

Personal Info Aside: I read LotR originally well before the Pieces of Eight album came out, possibly before I had heard of Styx at all. Well, it may have been around the time that their tune 'Lady' was a big hit, actually. That should date my Jr High years. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 11:59 AM   #67
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Greetings Master Bugtussle!

This morning I was thinking about your mention of Styx and thought perhaps they had asked some more knowledgable soul about the history of the Ring, but didn't quite listen closely enough to the answer. I wonder if they received any letters about it? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
---------------------------------------
What a wonderful idea Helen! I think that I should try that, but I fear that I would always be found wearing my chain (or fingerless [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]!)
Old 11-25-2003, 02:07 PM   #68
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Welcome, Mr. Bugtussle! Pardon my manners for not welcoming you earlier.

As for replicas of The Ring, I agree, I would not have one myself. Although LotR is just fiction (shocked silence, I know!), I still would feel that I was looking for trouble by parading around with one.

Mark 12_30 -- what a great idea about the silver ring! It's a lot less painful than my way of ridding myself of negative habits or thought patterns. I have always put a rubber band on my wrist and popped myself everytime I caught myself indulging in whatever behavior I was trying to eliminate, in order to remind myself of what I was about. At first, it's okay, but after awhile it gets really painful, but, boy, it makes you pay attention. Eventually, I throw away the rubber band...

[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 11-25-2003, 03:57 PM   #69
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Another Styx song which always reminded me of LoTR was the melodic intro to Sailing Away. I even recall buying the single, on a funny piece of plastic called a 45.

Welcome Theron!
Old 11-25-2003, 05:28 PM   #70
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ealasaide-- whoa. You're drastic! I'll have to remember that next time I'm in a "grim story contest".

I think for many LOTR fans, having a ring on a chain around their neck symbolizes being on a mission or on a journey. It's the folks that put the thing on their finger that I wonder about...

A highly recommended this song: "Fellowship Going South" by Leslie Fish. She is a Filk-singer, (that's not folk misspelled, not quite) very well-known in Filk-circles, but this is a serious ballad, her own composition and tune both. Very good song. It's on the net in mp3 format. A google-search should find it. I found it a while back and only listened to it today for the first time. (Ninnyhammer!)

[ 10:20 AM November 26, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 11-25-2003, 09:03 PM   #71
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Hmm...here I was thinking that I would only be wearing a chain, not a ring on it. Good heavens! The only ring of power I wear is a wedding band. That has proved adventurous enough for this hobbit! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I will have to look into Filk, I have never heard of it before, or Leslie Fish.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:46 AM   #72
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Yes, I'll have to look into Leslie Fish and Filk, as well. What exactly is Filk?

Getting back to 70's music that makes you think of LotR... Whenever I hear Yes's album Fragile, especially the song "South Side of the Sky", I think of the Fellowship. I think I played the grooves off Fragile when I was reading LotR for the first time.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:12 AM   #73
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Filk. Eh, I'll try and define it, because there is a lot of Tolkien filk out there. Most of it is humorous/ satire, which isn't quite my cup of tea. But there are a few...

Filk is sometimes described as a cross between "folk" and "Filch" (as in, I filched someone else's tune and wrote my own lyrics to it.) in that sense, one can easily see it's a time-honored tradition. But it has become a subculture. There are conventions, etc.

I'm not sure why Leslie Fish falls into the Filk category; from what I've seen, her tunes are original, her lyrics profound.

You can find an mp3 of Julie Ecklar performing Leslie's "Fellowship Going South" here. Have a hankie nearby.

Off Topic Edit: and if you are a fan of space shuttles and space travel, don't miss Witnesses' Waltz, listed below, also by Leslie.

[ 10:36 AM November 26, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 11-26-2003, 12:05 PM   #74
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Thanks for the link Helen I will have to explore it over the holidays!

And Ealasaide don’t get me started on YES! Jon Anderson’s (older) lyrics aren’t his only works reminiscent of ME, his paintings also have that quality. (But then again I harbor a rather deep suspicion that he is actually a hobbit, raised by elves! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Maybe Stoorish... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Old 11-26-2003, 01:12 PM   #75
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Sting

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Mithadan, A coincidence? I listened to Come Sail Away on the way in to work today. It is rather dreamy, and starts off like it could well be a road-trip song, or a seafaring song. Maybe Legolas when he heard the seagulls for the first time, after being warned by Galadriel that he would be done for.

Lemme see if I can remember the first lines...
Quote:
I'm sailing away
Set an open course for the virgin sea
'Cause I've got to be free
Free to face the life that's ahead of me

On board I'm the Captain
So climb aboard
We'll search for tomorrow
On every shore

And I'll try,
Oh, Lord, I'll try
to carry on...
P.S. Woohoo! I have an avatar now! Thanks to one of our illustrious B-D members. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh, and Estelyn, I just happened on that Gandalf quote in my sig the other day. I think I am reading LotR for the first time in...well, do you know what "a coon's age" is? It's been about that long. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 2:17 PM November 26, 2003: Message edited by: Theron Bugtussle ]
Old 11-26-2003, 01:49 PM   #76
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know I'm not quite "of age" but I couldn't help responding to this! (Forgive me! I'm only a few years short! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Quote:
I sometimes wear a plain (silver) band on a chain around my neck when there's some bad habit or attitude in my life that I know I have to get rid of. But for me, it's kind of a Lenten thing, and the idea is to get RID of it; March 25 is the goal.
Wow, Helen! That's an interesting idea, and probably a better concept than the way I've been wearing my ring!

Strangely enough, and this may not be the best thing to admit, I have worn my wedding ring on a chain around my neck since Halloween, when I dressed as Frodo for a costume contest. I called it MY One Ring, and I really will defend it from whoever tries to take it from me! I don't really want to wear the replica One Ring, but this Ring is something I'll never throw in a chasm or get rid of, although its meaning is altogether different. It has the effect of making me touch it constantly to make sure it is still there (because it is odd to wear my wedding ring that way and I'm afraid to lose it!). I find myself playing with it when I awaken in the middle of the night, and it makes me wonder if Frodo had trouble sleeping partly because he thought he might accidentally don the Ring in his sleep! I can relate to that fear now! I'm not sure when I'll put it back on my finger, but probably when I reach Rivendell, at least that is what I'm telling myself.

And I must say, Theron Bugtussle, you've really settled in nicely, and I've enjoyed reading your posts on several threads lately! I had not thought of that Styx song in years, since I had not read LOTR at the time I listened to it long ago; the whole allusion was lost on me! But I can see your point about "Come Sail Away" and the sea-longing of Legolas! I can even hear him singing it to Gimli [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], although I don't think he'd sound much like James Young or Dennis deYoung or any of them, really! (that's probably a good thing!) Oh, and that's a lovely avatar! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 08:13 PM   #77
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

New Hobbit Music: Attn music hounds. I had never heard of (argentinian) Andi Grimsditch before, and took a risk on his "Tolkien Song Cycle" on ebay. Am I ever glad and delighted that I did. For starters, a couple of these songs are *SINGABLE* (not all of 'em.) And for another, this guy is a believable Hobbit-voice. It says he's from Argentina but his Scottish accent is delightful, and he has a soft, gentle tenor voice; sounds like the Hobbit Next Door to me.

If the idea of middle-earth music with bass and drums bothers you, well, I was skeptical, but the bass and drums stay in the background. The emphasis is on guitar and strings. They do some non-celtic things with chord changes and odd chords in general, but it doesn't set my teeth on edge (the way it has with some other bands.)

This is Volume 1. I'll be waiting with baited breath for Volume 2. I almost hesitated to post on this-- 'cause I want that first copy when it comes out. But if you want hobbit-music, buy this album. (Or even: buy Vol1 so he puts out Vol2!)
Old 11-27-2003, 08:43 PM   #78
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Helen,

I saw this on e-bay and wondered about it. Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll give it a try.

sharon
Old 11-30-2003, 08:34 PM   #79
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mae Govannen!
A quiet evening "catching up" on some past threads. If I may be so bold,I would like to share an interpretation.I am refering to 22 Oct,Ealasaide,[Hello]. "Was in the darkest depths of Morder"....... Could this be from Frodo's view,when he claimed the ring ,he had dominion over Galadriel,in that instant he "met a girl so fair" ? The ensuing scuffel may be seen as Gollum and the evil one slipping away with her.
This is the second time I have seen this question on the BD. Any thoughts???
Old 12-01-2003, 12:03 PM   #80
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Greetings, Alquadae!
What an interesting interpretation! But taking into account Robert Plant's overall body of work, I would have to say it seems a bit of a stretch. Mr. Plant's lyrics are not generally renowned for their subtlety or depth. Just my opinion, though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I do like the line of thought, though. I just think you are giving Robert Plant WAY too much credit. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ 1:05 PM December 01, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]