Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420! The Golden Perch Inn

May 5 (14 Thrimidge), 1356 SR

It was a gorgeous day in more than one aspect in Seredic’s eyes. Not only was the sun shining, and the grass very green, but the birds were singing merrily in every tree, and the nearby river laughed gaily as it tripped over it’s rocky bottom. There were still other reasons, though. Doubtless, anyone who hadn’t been around the inn long would not have been able to tell why Dick hummed a song he hadn’t always liked as he combed back the unruly curls about his head and took special care that all the buttons on his coat were properly buttoned. It was to be the first day that he unbolted the door of the inn without Gregory Goodbody behind him to oversee everything.

As soon as Dick thought that he looked like the owner and innkeeper that he was, he headed out to the hall. Still humming, he turned to his right and walked towards the Common Room.

“Good morning, Miss Rowan!” he said, stopping his song long enough to greet the young hobbit lass coming out from another room.

“A fine morning it is, sir!” she responded with a broad grin. They passed and Dick continued down the hall. In a moment, he came out into the wide, tall, and empty Common Room, noting with approval the fire already burning in the hearth. His smile became broader as he went across the room to the round front door. With no little amount of pride, he undid the bolt and lock and then opened it wide.

Sunlight streamed in and standing on the front step he could hear the birds calling. He smiled broadly at the morning and then called a greeting to a passing neighbor.

For another moment, he stood on the threshold of the inn, feeling that in the exception of the birth of every one of his children, he had never had a prouder or better day. Then he turned back in and went inside. He walked about the counter and went into the kitchen. Cela and Primrose were already at work.

“Good morning!” he said, above the sound of frying bacon. “What’s for breakfast?”

--- Folwren

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-10-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Will sat at the kitchen table a large mug of steaming tea clasped in his hands. He was hungry and was looking forward to a large platter of eggs and bacon and toast with jam to fill in the corners, before he started the rest of his day’s work.

He’d been up since before first light, seeing to the ponies and horses that were stabled in the barn. Stalls had been mucked out, fresh hay gotten for the feeders, fresh buckets of water, and new bedding for the floor. Each horse had a nosebag of oats to start the day, as well as the hay in the feeders. All had been given a quick brushing before being turned out into the fenced exercise yard; the ones staying over again would be gone over more thoroughly with comb, brush, and hoof pick before being settled in for the night.

‘Good morning!’ Master Boffin’s voice boomed out merrily above the crackle of the frying bacon. ‘What’s for breakfast?’

Will grinned at him, offering him a mug of tea from the pot at the table. ‘Bacon, of course . . . nice and crispy, Master Boffin.’ Will nodded at Primrose as he spoke. ‘Bacon as only the gifted mistresses of the Perch’s kitchen can make it. Bacon fried so deftly the very thought of it brings a song of praise to my lips.’ He winked good-naturedly at Cook and gave her an ingratiating smile.

‘Oh and let there be eggs, too, please, m’ladies! Mounds of fluffy eggs scrambled gently.’ He nodded to the hay filled basket that sat on the end of the counter. ‘Hens were in a happy mood this morning. Only the little buff was real broody. Tried like the dickens to keep me away from her little clutch.’ He held up his right hand, showing off the little strips of linen he’d tied about two of his fingers where she’d pecked him. ‘I left her one . . . she seemed to settle down with that. Though, I must say she kept a baleful watch on me as I moved about the henhouse.’

‘Would you like me to cut the bread?’ he asked hopefully, pushing his now empty mug away from him. ‘I can get the toasting forks going if you’d like, too, ladies . . .’
Old 06-01-2006, 03:25 AM   #3
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Rowan hurried on her way once she’d said her good-morning to Master Boffin. It was his first day as Innkeeper for the Perch and she had decided she would put her very best foot forward in order to give his patrons a very good impression of his inn.

Not that Master Goodbody had been a sluggard as the Innkeeper. Nay, he was always quite on top of things, and a fair employer, too. And wasn’t his daughter, Lily, a sweet woman! But, well . . . truth be told Rowan felt more comfortable around Master Boffin than she did the older fellow. And he had such a merry face, Master Boffin did. Who couldn’t help but like him?!

She went to the linen cupboard and got out a stack of towels to put in her basket, along with a number of neatly folded face cloths. Rowan relished the smell as she open the latticed doors. Lavender! A fresh, clean fragrance from the flowers sprinkled between the folded sheets and blankets. She recalled helping to harvest the spikes of violet-blue flowers last summer and tying them in bunches to dry from the barn rafters. They still held their pleasing subtle scent. She reached under a folded sheet for one of the smaller stalks and wove it securely into the lacings of her bodice.

Picking up her basket she went on down the hall, knocking at each of the occupied rooms. ‘Your towel, sir. A fresh towel, ma’am. Good morning! Good morning! Did the lad bring you warm water to wash up? Good, good! See you at breakfast, then.’ She gave as pleasant a smile as she could to each of the roomers without being too overwhelmingly cheerful. Some of them, she knew from previous days’ experience with them were simply not early morning risers.

Once done, she put away her basket and headed toward the kitchen. Her early morning duties were done. Soon the serving of breakfast would begin in the common room. Her tummy rumbled, protesting its empty state; the enticing aroma of bacon frying made her mouth water.

Rowan picked up her pace, hoping to get a few mouthfuls of breakfast into herself before the hungry patrons demanded their platters and mugs and pots of tea and such . . .
Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Cela let Will answer the question as she lightly added salt to the first batch of eggs. Sometimes she wondered if he didn’t know as much about what was going on in the kitchen as she did.

“Would you like me to cut the bread?” Will now asked. “I can get the toasting forks going if you’d like, too, ladies . . .”

“No need, no need,” said Cela without looking up. “It’s biscuits and jam this morning – Primrose how are those coming?” Without waiting for a response, she continued. “Good thing summer’s coming up quickly, not that you’d know it by the chill in the air. The stock of jam is starting to run low, and there’s nothing like a fresh pie. Fruit that’s preserved and canned or dried just doesn’t have the same taste to it as fresh fruit.”

“I’m sure the jam won’t run out,” said Dick with a smile.

“’Course it won’t. What kind of cook would I be if I let the jam run out?” Cela cast a critical eye at the eggs. “But that’s neither here nor there.” She selected a skinny jar containing an unlabelled chopped herb and sprinkled it lightly over the top of the eggs. “Excellent. And don’t neither of you ask what’s on them, either, because you know I won’t tell you.” She waved a wooden spoon in their general direction. “You’re right cheery this morning,” she commented to Dick, trying to remember if the day had some special significance as she checked on the bacon. “Ah, of course… the inn’s officially yours today, isn’t it?” She said, nodding to herself, though whether about her statement or the bacon was indeterminate. “Why don’t we get you two a bite to eat… looks about done…”
Old 06-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dick joined Will at the breakfast table and tucked a napkin into his collar. “Aye, today’s my first day, Cela,” he said. He grinned up at her as she placed a plate full of food before him. “I hope I’m ready for it.”

“Of course you are,” Cela replied confidently. She placed another full plate before Will. “Master Goodbody wouldn’t have let you have it if you weren’t ready for it.”

Dick shrugged slightly before setting into the bacon and eggs. “One would think so,” he said, after giving a moment to chew and swallow. “I have all the hopes of succeeding.” His stomach gave a slight flutter, though he couldn’t exactly say why. He attributed it to the empty state his stomach was in and continued to eat without saying anything further.

He and Will were half way through with their first serving of breakfast when Rowan came tripping into the kitchen, a smile on her face, and a healthy glow in her cheek. Dick looked up as she gave a bright and cheery good morning to everybody.

“How are all the guests this morning?” Dick asked. “Are any of them up yet?” Rowan flashed him a quick smile as she accepted a plate from Cela and turned to join the two hobbits at the table before answering.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
● Jack Greymoss ●

Jack eyed the sign as it swung in the morning breeze. ‘Golden Perch, then is it?’ he murmured to himself, shifting his gaze here and there about the Inn yard for any ‘opportunities’. He leaned on his walking stick, footsore from the long miles he’d traveled in the past few days. Bit of a misunderstanding in some no-name little watering hole down south a ways, where the Brandywine turned east from the Bounds.

Dumb-as-dirt farmer gave him the what-for for ‘borrowing’ a few eggs and loaf of bread cooling on the windowsill of the farmhouse. Brandished his nasty pitchfork at him, then set the dogs after him. Jack grinned as he thought about the lumps he’d laid on those hounds heads when they’d caught up to him.

His belly rumbled, empty as the purse that hung at his belt. No . . . wait a moment there, Jack-boy!. He reached into an inner pocket of the greasy leather vest he’d appropriated from some fool drunk in Bree a number of months ago and found two small coins he’d kept for dire need. And surely this was dire need . . . Be just enough, he hoped, for a pint of ale and the right to sit at ease in the Perch, looking the place over.

Jack stood in the shadows of the entryway letting his eyes adjust to the dimmer light within. He slid right, to counter that marked where the drinks were to be got. He tapped a coin on the wooden surface of the bar and called out in a loud voice.

‘How bout it? Can a man get a pint here?’

His gaze slid around the room, noting where things were placed and who occupied tables. Oh, aye! There’s some as look promising . . . yes, indeed!

Last edited by Envinyatar; 06-09-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dick couldn’t help but smile at Rowan’s explanation of her eager attack at breakfast. He didn’t mind, nor did her explanations offend him. A reassuring remark nearly made its way out of his mouth when a loud voice called from the common room.

‘How bout it? Can a man get a pint in here?’

No hobbit voice, to be sure. Dick saw a disappointed look sweep over Rowan’s face and she looked down at her scarcely begun breakfast. ‘Shall I go see to that?’ she asked quietly.

‘No,’ he said, rising. ‘No, that’s fine. You finish breakfast – you might not have much chance later on today. I’ll see to it. Cela, save my place.’ He addressed the Cook as he pushed back his chair and stood up. Clearing his throat slightly and tugging on his vest to make absolutely sure it was on straight, he exited the kitchen and went out to meet the guest.

Good blazes, here was a rough character! Dick kept his surprise out of his face as he stepped up to the counter. ‘What can I do for you, sir?’ he asked calmly. ‘You’re seeking a pint? Perhaps breakfast as well?’ Ale was all very well and good in its place, and his inn was an exceptional place to purchase it, but it was still considerably early in the morning. Besides, this man looked like he needed more of Celandine Brandybuck’s eggs and bacon with secret ingredients put into them than a mug of ale.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

● Hithadan ●

Hithadan watched from the shadows of a small coppice of beech trees. The Inn and the road were easily seen from where he stood. And he straightened up from his leaning against one of slender trunks, his gaze riveted on a none too wholesome character making his way along the edge of the road that ran from Willowbottom to Stock and beyond to the Great Road. Though, from the looks of the fellow as he dodged off the road as someone approached and walked in the shadows of the low, scrubby hedgerow, he doubted he was one to make his way down the Main Road. Too easy to be seen.

And there he was, now, a ruffian sort, looking at the inn’s sign. Though he could not see it clearly, Hithadan was sure it was a calculating appraisal the fellow was making.

He let the man pass through the door and waited a little while to follow. In the far left corner of the common room Hithadan slid into a chair, his back to the wall, eyes on the happenings before him.

Last edited by Envinyatar; 06-09-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
"It's biscuits and jam this morning – Primrose how are those coming?" Cela continued speaking, leaving no pause for the assistant cook's reply.

Primrose knew that if Cela needed an answer, she would stop and wait for a response. And so she took the question as a reminder to keep at work and, without attempting to fit a few words on the state of the biscuits between the phrases of Cela's conversation, industriously tended the fire under her pan of biscuits. The scent of sizzling bacon mingled with the aroma of her rapidly browning biscuits, and Primrose suddenly realized that she was quite hungry. She poked at the fire and flames leapt up, reddening her cheeks with their heat. Primrose carefully tucked a few stray curls under her scarf. It wouldn't do for her hair to take flame along with the firewood.

Drawing close to the fire again, Primrose peeked at her biscuits and poked them. The small dimples she made vanished as she withdrew the pressure of her finger. The biscuits were done. She deftly withdrew them from their pan and arranged them on a platter with butter, jam, and honey.

Balancing the platter on one hand, Primrose swept over to the table and deposited her biscuits, hot and golden, in front of the breakfasters. "Biscuits are done," she said brightly. "Is there anything else you need?"
Old 06-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

● Jack Greymoss ●

The Innkeeper . . . yes it must be him . . . The Halfling stood behind the counter as if he owned it. Now Jack was well enough aware the fellow was taking his measure, despite the fact his face showed no distaste, or favor for that matter. He tugged at the front of his tunic, trying to be a bit more presentable. One bony finger pushed his coin across the smooth wood toward the Innkeeper, his ragged, dirty fingernail tapping plaintively on it.

‘Well, sir,’ he began. ‘The name’s Jack . . . Jack Greymoss. And I have to tell you I’ve been on the road for a fair piece.’ He picked up the coin and rubbed it between his thumb and forefinger. ‘Now this little bit of metal’s all I have. I’d say yes to something to break my fast, but I think I’ll have to choose the ale.’

He pushed the coin toward the Innkeeper once again. ‘Finest in the Eastfarthing, or so I’ve heard . . .’

Last edited by Envinyatar; 06-09-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #11
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
‘Biscuits are done,’ Primrose said brightly. ‘Is there anything else you need?’

It was a question that most likely required no answer, Will knew. It was expected that each of them, save the Innkeeper, would fetch any extra things needed. Still, he raised an innocent enough face to Primrose and heaved a long sigh.

‘A wife, if you please, dear Primrose . . . yes, that would be most helpful . . . a wife . . . or at least a promising lass . . .’

He looked round at the faces of those with him in the kitchen. Then another sigh as he dipped into one of the big pockets in his vest. With a flourish he waved a piece of folded parchment in the air.

‘Yes, there’s been a letter from Crickhollow.’ He unfolded the paper and passed it round the table. ‘My dear mum,’ he went on. ‘Reinforced by Buttercup and Opal, my oldest brothers’ wives.’ He shook his head slowly. ‘Worse yet, they’re coming in a month’s time for a “visit”. And worser . . . worsest, eh? . . . they’ll want to meet the lasses belonging to the names I’ve mentioned in my letters back to them.’

He laughed . . . a rather condemned man’s laugh. ‘Now where do you think I’m going to dig up Allyssum, Ginger, Iris, and lovely Sage?’

Last edited by Arry; 06-04-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #12
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Rowan nearly choked on her mouthful of tea at the pleading tone in Will’s voice. She managed a subdued sort of snort as the liquid threatened to go up her nose; followed by a small bout of coughing. Red cheeked she gathered her wits about her as best she could and laughed out loud at the pitiful picture Will presented.

‘Good gracious!’ she chuckled, wiping her mouth with her napkin. ‘So that’s why you always sit under the ash tree when you write your letters and gaze so thoughtfully toward the gardens and flower beds.’ Her mouth curved into an impish grin as she shook her head. ‘Alyssum, Ginger, Ivy, and Sage, indeed!’ She arched her brows at the stabler. ‘And is there a Rose, a Marjoram, and even perhaps a Lavendar among your eligible lasses?’

Last edited by Undómë; 06-02-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:00 AM   #13
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

"Now where do you think I’m going to dig up Allyssum, Ginger, Iris, and lovely Sage?"

Primrose laughed merrily, both amused at Will's predicament and relieved that his request for a wife segued into his explanation of the letter. It would have been most awkward had Will intended a flirtation with her.

Rowan teased Will, and Primrose decided to join the game. He had briefly embarrassed her by his plea, though her blush couldn't be seen over her fire-reddened cheeks. A little teasing would be enough revenge. "Yes, Rowan. I'll wager there's more than meets the eye about our Will here. I'll warrant he'll not have a bit of trouble to find a lass or two - or seven - to fit all the names." She grinned at the maid, watching Will's face out of the corner of her eye. Was he blushing?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:53 AM   #14
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Time to rescue Will, decided Cela. “Well, now, m’dear boy, I daresay you have gotten yourself into a bit of a predicament,” she commented over the laughter of Primrose and Rowan. “But nothing that can’t be fixed…” She smiled to herself. Will’s situation had put her in mind of her own courting days – such merry days they had been! And Cela had a few tricks up her sleeve. Nevertheless, she continued flipping bacon until Will probed her with a, “How so?”

“Not that you’d be obliged to follow my plan,” said Cela, stretching out the suspense as long as possible. “You’ll have to see how you like it. But the first of your lasses is quite easily gotten rid of. Pick one and say that she’s getting courted by another lad, and they’re likely to be married within the year. Or already married. A second is not terribly hard, either. Say she’s off visiting kin in, oh, Hobbiton. Or Tuckborough. That one probably ought to be your ‘lovely Sage.’” She pretended to be thinking, enjoying the hopefulness of Will’s look and the curiosity of the lasses.

“And what about the other two lasses?” asked Rowan finally.

“Well, haven’t you figured it out yet?” asked Cela, her eyes twinkling as her gaze passed from Rowan to Primrose and back. “I see two young lasses quite right to play the parts of young master Will’s Alyssum and Iris…”
Old 06-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #15
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Griffo had just rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and said good morning to his sheep when he decided to make his way to the Golden Perch Inn for some kind of breakfast. And he figured he'd stay for second breakfast, and perhaps elevenses, and maybe... Who am I kiddin'? I've got nowhere better to go. And he hadn't for six years now. Melilot had kept him busy at home and elsewhere, and now that she was gone, he tried to make himself busy as best he could. And that didn't work very well. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that he didn't really try.

Swinging open the door to the Golden Perch, Griffo adjusted his vest, suddenly realizing he was not sure when the last time he had washed it was. He always came up with and excuse for not doing so, reminding himself that he normally only wore his shirt. His two vests were the only nice clothes he owned anymore. Melilot had always made nice things for him. And he had always managed to ruin them. She always laughed when he brought her a vest that had split down the back, though, or anything of the like. She always joked about how it seemed as if she had eight children to take care of, not just seven. Just... Griffo's lips twisted into a soft smile. There were some very fond memories of the two trying to take care of seven children.

The hobbit stepped into the common room, the smile on his face, to see that there were two men already inside, one seated in a corner, the other up at the bar. It was a little strange. Normally Griffo was the first patron to arrive that was not in a room there when he went for a bit of breakfast. He could hear noise coming from the kitchen, and knew that the food he desired was soon to be prepared, if Cela and Primrose hadn't already started on it.

The inn workers were eating, using their brief time in the morning to gather up their strength for a long days work ahead. Griffo always let them be, and waited to be given a mug and a bit of toast whenever anyone had a moment to give it to him. He had all day. And so he simply took a seat at a small table close to the bar after he grabbed the chess board from by the fireplace. Eyeing the two men with interest, he set up the board for a game.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #16
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

"That is a predicament, isn't it?" Dick mumbled. "But it sounds as though the way out isn't too difficult." He paused to drink some of his cooled tea. "I thought you said he had told her there were four lasses? We only have two."

"The other two are dealt with easily enough," Cela responded and told him what she had told Will and the two girls about his other two lasses being away or unavailable. Dick sat back in his chair and stared at her. When she was done, he picked up his fork again, shaking his head.

"That's what comes of going on about something that isn't true. Well, I hope you can convince Will in doing as you suggest, because that's the only way out of it that I see, unless he disappears himself for a while. When are they coming?"

Cela looked at Primrose, and Primrose thought for a moment. "A month, I think he said," she told him after a pause. "In a month's time." Dick nodded.

"Well, if Will doesn't want to go along with your plan, I might figure out some errand or other to send him on that will take a few days." He stood up, having finished his breakfast. "Goodness knows where I'll send him. . ." he muttered. He shook himself and straightened up, and started towards the door once more with a spring in his step. Then he stopped and turned about again.

"Oh, Cela, one last thing. If Tollers comes back for more food, give it to him and don't make a fuss. I told him he could come back for seconds."

"He shouldn't have to!" Cela said somewhat huffly. She turned back to her bacon. "He took enough for two earlier!"

"That's just it," Dick responded. "There are two. Just go ahead and give him his seconds if he asks for them, and don't be surprised if he takes another heaping plateful."
Old 06-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #17
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

“Very well,” said Cela finally. “He will have them.”

“Thanks, Cela,” said Dick, and he returned to the common room, leaving Cela and Primrose alone once more.

“Now,” she said, turning to Primrose. “I don’t want you harboring any notions that what you’re feeling is ‘silliness.’ Will’s a fine young hobbit, and you might do worse than him.” Cela thought she could see Primrose’s ears reddening a bit. Better Will than Tollers… spends more time dreaming than working, she thought, but kept it to herself. “But you don’t spend enough time with those your own age. When was the last time you went out and did something fun? I don’t need your help in the kitchen all the time, you know. I’m not so old as that! Master Dick shouldn’t have any problems with that, and if he does he can take them up with me.

“Oh! The bacon,” she remembered suddenly, hastening to take the sizzling meat off the hot griddle. She sniffed the air critically. “No, not burnt… next thing to it, though,” she muttered. “Next thing I’ll be sugaring the eggs instead of salting them.”
Old 06-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #18
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

● Jack Greymoss ●

‘Well, now . . . I been out on my own long about ten years or more I’d say.’ Jack leaned back in his chair and sipped at his ale. ‘My family had a little farm in Breeland. Grew mostly rocks. Wore my Da to the bone it did. I sure enough did not want to end up like him. Married to someone as could hardly stand him by the time they were getting on in years.’

‘Nope . . . packed up and left and never looked back. And sorry to say I’ll bet they never give a thought for where old Jack is. Ah, well . . . some folks is lucky and some just aren’t.’ He fished in one his pockets for a plain wood pipe and an old leather pouch of pipeweed. ‘Though, for my part, I do feel lucky that I’m where I am and not back on the family farm. I make my own way, on my own time. Suits me so far.’

He offered the pouch to Tollers. ‘Care for a pipeful? Longbottom Leaf, from a fellow’s farm in the Southfarthing. He didn’t bother to add he had appropriated it from the farmer’s drying shed, bypassing the actual purchase of it.

‘Say, about that fishing you mentioned. Sounds like a good thing to do on a day like this.’ He leaned forward, toward the Hobbit. ‘You got chores to do? Maybe I could lend a hand and get ‘em done faster.’ He puffed on his pipe, thinking. ‘A mess of fish, all fried up nice and crispy, would sure make a fine supper, don’t you think? Bet we could find us a little patch of mushrooms, too.’

Jack took the last swig of ale and sat the empty mug back on the table. He nodded his head thoughtfully as he considered his little plan. ‘Fishing’s more fun when you’re out with a buddy. Up to you, though.’

Last edited by Envinyatar; 06-09-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #19
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
To have a buddy and go fishing on a gorgeous, sunny day..... Tollman's eyes gleemed with excitement as he puffed on his pipe and reflected on the prospect of slipping away to venture down to his beloved river. Still, the Innkeeper had been very clear that this was expected to be a heavy day with many travellers inquiring after rooms at the Inn. He couldn't just slip off in the morning and not show up to help with the serving at lunchtime. He would get himself in a pack of trouble.

Tollman was about to give his new companion a reluctant "no", when suddenly an enticing image flashed inside his head. It was a picture of a very large, fat fish. Tollman was standing on the small dock that stood behind the Inn's courtyard and was holding up that enormous fish, showing it off to the other hobbit lads and lasses, who grinned back at him admiringly.

That picture was not so entirely far fetched. Yesterday evening, the hobbit had been down by the great oak, not far from the Inn itself, just at the point where the river makes a bend, and he'd spied a gargantuan creature swimming about in the water. It was the largest fish that Tollman had ever witnessed, and it looked so incredibly enticing. If he was to bring back such a monstor brute for Cook to use in the kitchen, surely all would be forgiven.

"Well, Master Jack, this morning is a bit tight for me. I've promised to drag some tables and chairs into the Inn from the storage shed. After that, I have to help serve lunch. But the afternoon is another thing. It gets a little slow and sleepy in these parts after we clean up the dining room. I can usually manage to get away then, and no one will be the wiser, if you know what I mean. If you wait till then, I can get you more than a frypan of fish. I'll lead you over to a spot on the river where there's a monstor fish lurking in the shadows. He would feed an awful lot of hungry hobbits. If we can hook and net 'em, I imagine Innkeeper and Cook might be so grateful you'd earn yourself a free bed for at least a night or two."

"Anyways," Tollman added with a grin, "it's better to go after lunch because I can slip out two nice packet's full of Cela's excellent food and bring them along with us."

Last edited by Tevildo; 06-06-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #20
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Dick came back out of the kitchen smiling a little. He looked up at the hobbit standing at the bar and his smile widened, though inside his head, he scolded himself for having to have made him wait.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t know you were here. What can I do you for you, sir?”

Madoc Sandybanks assured him it was no great trouble and told him what he wanted. Dick nodded and picked up a mug from beneath the bar. He turned briefly away to fill it.

“Well, here’s your ale, sir,” Dick said, putting the foaming mug onto the bar, “and the tea will be right out. Do you want any of those to have milk or sugar in them? You have two young ones perhaps that would like it?” His eyes twinkled as he gave him a knowing smile. His quick eye had caught the two young hobbits already - one sitting at the table with a young mother, and the other standing by old Griffo’s chair, looking deeply interested in the chess game the old gaffer played with himself.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #21
Forest Elf
Haunting Spirit

Location: You say your hurting is over.. It feels like you're out of reach...
Forest Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Gable was walking down the road, wearing boys clothes and her arrows and short bow strung over her shoulder. Gable held a lead rope to an injured pony. Her hair, that had been neatly braided before sun up, was a mess, twigs were caught in it and stray strands of hair blowing in the wind, a blob of bloody mud showed on her cheek, when the pony had reared.

Gable felt proud, her heart soaring and yet she needed to get to the stables and find Will, to get the pony nursed back to health. She moved as fast as she could along the road, with a limping pony.

She could finnally see the stables, she moved along with the pony a little faster and when she saw Will standing there with Marrigold, Gable cried out, "Will! I have a pony that needs looking after, can you take a look at her?" indicating the pony's right bloody front leg and her bloody side.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #22
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
‘M'dear wife will have cream and sugar, if you would,’ said Madoc, raising his half pint to the Innkeeper. He took a deep drink and sighed quite contentedly as he set the half empty mug back on the countertop. ‘My stars! That is surely as sweet and satisfying as a wind from the West.’ He tapped his finger on the rim of his mug, indicating he’d like it topped off.

‘Ah, yes, the tea. Taffy’s fond of lump sugar. Boy saw his uncle grab a small lump between his front teeth and sip his tea through it. And the wee one, Seren, she fancies honey in hers.’

Madoc watched as the server brought out another platter stacked with plates of eggs, bacon, and baskets of biscuits. His stomach began to rumble fiercely. Think I’d best be getting back to the table. That breakfast looks might good. Can’t wait to tuck into it.’ He fished into the side pocket of his vest and brought out his coin purse. ‘This should do it,’ he said, pushing a number of small coins across the counter top.

He lifted his mug to the Innkeeper, and then made his way through the aisles between the tables to his own.

Last edited by Lilly; 06-07-2006 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #23
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

-¤- Hithadan -¤-

The pair of new faces in the doorway caught his attention. Hithadan looked over the two as they entered. A striking couple, he thought. And at ease in the room as if they had been here before and knew the inn well. He cast his eyes back down to his plate and plied his fork and knife as the woman gazed his way. Sizing him up, it seemed.

It cannot be for my purse. he chuckled to himself, scooping a forkful of scrambled egg into his mouth. Nor the elegance of my company . . . he continued, picking a piece of egg that had escaped his fork up from the table. He popped the truant morsel in his mouth, chuckling again.

Whatever it was, in a matter of moments, the woman had come up to his table. ‘Begging your pardon, sir,’ she said, as she reached the table and placing her hands on the back of the empty chair to the left of him, she gave him a pretty smile. ‘My brother and I have just been traveling, up from Sarn Ford. Might we sit with you to break our fast.....and perhaps share in any word you have of happenings along the road to Bree?’

‘Company would be most welcome!’ The Ranger stood and pulled out the chair for her, bidding her to sit if she would. ‘Hithadan, here, m’lady,’ he said nodding to her as he sat back down. He pushed his plate to the side, and brought his mug of tea into the circle of his hands. ‘I do know a little of the way to Bree. A friend of mine was just recently there and gave me news of recent happenings.’ He sat back comfortable in his chair, looking her over openly as he sipped from his mug. ‘It’s a long way from the Ford to Breeland. Might I ask what you . . . and your brother, is it . . . are doing on your travels?’
Old 07-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #24
Forest Elf
Haunting Spirit

Gable just finished mucking out the last stall and leading the pony to the stall. “There you are, boy. How’s a nice and clean stall sound to you?” Gable asked the pony, taking off his bridle.

She hung the bridle and walked into the Inn, and over heard Primrose and Will talking about having a rest. Gable walked to her room and changed into her mother’s dress, one that she’d never worn out of her room before, and one that she kept secret. It was the only dress, and the most beautiful, in Gable’s eyes, from her mother’s wardrobe.

She walked over to her dresser and opened up the upper drawer, a little too high for any hobbit to reach without standing on something. Gable reached in and pulled out her father’s shirt, and hugged it. She missed them both so much, and her foster parent’s. She was allowed to keep a two hat’s from them after they died one from her foster-father, and one from her foster-mother.

Gable carefully placed the hats’ and shirt back into the drawer, and changed into a dress that she’d gotten, here in the shire, and folded her mother’s dress carefully, and placed the soft blue gown into the drawer, atop of her father’s shirt.

She took off her boots and put on a pair of elf girl’s shoes. Then unbraided her hair and brushed it out. Letting it go long, as she didn’t do so often. She headed back down stairs to see if any help was wanted.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #25
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Morning of May 6

Dawn broke over the horizon at its usual time. Dick stood again on the threshold of his inn, a more sober mood resting on him this morning than last. Through his mind, the tune that the elves had sung in their own language ran again and again. He remembered none of the words, they being all unfamiliar, but he did remember the melody. With difficulty he moved his attention back to the morning and his eyes shifted from the tossing tree tops and he turned to look back inside.

The door stood wide open and the morning wind, a little stronger than yesterday, blew into the common room. Tollers worked busily at unfastening the windows and opening them. From the kitchen came the sound of Cela cooking breakfast. The only thing missing was the usual sound of Cela and Prim talking together as they cooked. Dick didn’t notice the difference for some minutes, but when he finally did, he turned to go in and speak with Cela himself.

The kitchen was empty, except for the cook. Dick’s eyes lingered slightly on the kitchen table where Will usually sat at that time, while there was still a chance to eat an uninterrupted breakfast. It seemed strange and out of place that he shouldn’t be there now. And it was even stranger that Primrose wasn’t yet there. The broken leg probably had something to do with it, he figured. He could understand if it took her a little longer to get onto her feet that morning than usual.

“Where is Will?” Dick asked as he sat down. “And is there any coffee ready?”
Old 09-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #26
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Cela chose to answer the second question first, as the answer was easier. “The first pot ought to be ready just about now,” she said, and sure enough, the coffee was percolating merrily. She poured Dick a mug and handed it to him, saying, “Careful now; it’s hot.”

Dick took a sip. “Mmm.”

“As for Will,” she continued, “I haven’t seen him yet this morning, but both he and Primrose were nearly asleep where they stood when I finally got them off to bed last night dosed up with willow bark tea. Speaking of which, I probably ought to brew some more of that up this morning… Anyhow, I reckon the rest is good for both of them, but knowing the two of them, they’ll be up soon, used to rising early as they are.” She looked around the seemingly empty kitchen and sighed. “It’s quiet without them. They do rather lighten the place up.”
Old 09-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #27
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Falling, falling. Primrose tumbled from the ladder, watching the roof grow farther away as Will called to her from above, feeling the ground grow closer. But it never grew close enough. The fall went on without end, faster and faster until a rooster crowed and everything vanished in a flash of light.

The light was the morning sun in the window.

Primrose shook her curls out of her pillow and rubbed her eyes. Night had brought a head full of uneasy dreams, and her heart was still pounding. . Sometimes Will fell as she watched, sometimes she fell, and sometimes both fell together, but always the dreams led to the same ending of a tumble into emptiness. Morning was a welcome release from nightmares, though Primrose longed for a few hours of restful sleep.

Leaning over a bowl of clear water near her bed, she caught sight of her tired face. She could never go to the kitchen looking so haggard. If yesterday was any hint of what was to follow, Cela would send her right back to her room. Primrose splashed the water over face and neck, hoping to rinse away some of the weariness from her features.

A few minutes later, the sound of a crutch against the wooden planks of the hallway announced Primrose's approach. As she entered the kitchen, she smiled at Cela and Dick.

"Good morning!"
Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #28
Forest Elf
Haunting Spirit

Gable blinked as the rooster crowed. Her sleep was light, filled with the previous day’s events; only this time, there was a shadow watching her in her dreams. She shuddered and hurried out of bed.

Her bare feet touched the floor and she looked out of her window. There were few a clouds, and a slight breeze. Gable stood and hurried to get dressed in one of her older work gowns.

The sleeves had been slightly ripped in places and there was a small hole, though unnoticeable unless you looked for it. She pulled her hair back and only braided it partway, knowing it would last for another hour or two.

She pulled on her boots and quiet as a mouse snuck out without getting noticed by Primrose, Cela or Dick. She hurried out to the barn, a bad feeling gnawing at her. She went to check on the injured pony.

The pony’s, to her surprise, whinnied before she had even set foot in the barn. Then she broke into a run. Three of the pony’s were rearing and kicking, the others’ eye whites were showing, and in the middle of a barn, a wolf with its eyes menacing turned upon Gable.

Gable let out a cry of surprise and wonder, and then as she saw it nearing to her, and knowing that she wouldn’t have much time to get a weapon, looked around desperately for the pitchfork. She found it, on the other side of the wolf; she swallowed and looked for something, anything, she could use as a weapon.

She grabbed a handful of sand and threw it in the wolf’s eyes. It snarled and three more appeared behind her, and one of the horses let out a whinny so loud it could’ve easily woken almost everyone in the Inn. She took a deep breath, knowing she wouldn’t be able to make it out of this alive without help, and screamed, scaring the birds out of a couple of tree’s.

A wolf lunged at her and she jumped out of the way and rolled, managing to stop a few paces from the pitch fork. She grabbed it and prepared to face battle against these four wolves.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #29
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

● Jack Greymoss ●

Jack had been out early that morning, trying out the pole Tollers had lent him yesterday. He had a few fish on his stringer; fish weren’t biting all that well this morning. Most likely they’d be enough for a little fry up for the inn staff. He was just coming up on the stable when he heard somebody scream, some woman it sounded like.

He dropped the fish and the pole and went running toward the open door. And pulled himself up as he saw the wolves menacing the Elf lady.

Where was that blasted ranger when a fella needed him?!

The wolves’ hackles were raised; lips pulled back from their slavering, yellowed teeth. Jack picked up a large piece of firewood from the stack near the stable and rushed toward the wolf nearest him. A great roar accompanied his charge, one born more of fear than heroism.

One of the wolves, the one nearest him as he entered the stable doors turned round to face him. The beast’s front legs were in a widened stance; his great, grey head weaving back and forth as he snarled and growled.

Jack hit out at him, hoping to drive him away, perhaps even to make the wolf run from the barn. But the wolf did not intend to be routed. He crouched down and launched himself at the man, knocking him down with a great thud.

And no sooner had Jack’s body hit the ground than the grey monster was astraddle him; it’s long, sharp teeth closing hard on its new prey’s tender throat . . .
Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #30
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Tollers, Kuric, and the Hedgethistles

The Hedgethistle children were found after all, and they were now busy trooping up the cellar stairway, listening to Kuric ask them what had happened and how. “So how did you lot get down here? Were ya kidnapped? I would suspect as much considering we’ve got some thieving ruffians about.”

“Oh,” Daisy began slowly, but Lil, impetuous and recently frightened out of her head, interrupted and blurted out, “No, we weren’t kidnapped, unless you count being taken and lost by your own siblings as being kidnapped. We went down to hide from you! . . . I think. Anyway, we were running away from a dwarf. And I’d rather meet him than be down there any longer!”

Tom uttered a tardy hiss, ordering her fiercely to be quiet, and Daisy hit her arm, but it was too late, and the words were out. Lil stopped short, realizing her error.

“Th-thieving ruffians, did you say?” she squeaked, trying to sound interested.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:30 AM   #31
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lily and Ruby went inside of their room after they had talked to the innkeeper, Dick. After that Ruby plotted some more about her brilliant plan to get back after her sister for locking her into her room because she had some ale, she thought that this was unjust because it was just some beer and they had lots of it. So she decided to sneak out of the room that night after Lily had gone to sleep and look to it after...

Lily went inside of the room after her and Ruby had explained about the incident with the beer behind the counter, and Lily had told him that he could do whatever he needed to if Ruby had ever did something like that again, he then replied that, that would not be necessary. So Lily and Ruby went back to their room for the night (or so she thought) and went to bed...

Lily fell fast asleep quickly since she had been traveling all day long, but Ruby had other plans. Ruby got a small bag then put the dress and Walking stick inside of the bag and thus decided that she'd hide them in Periwinkle's room since Periwinkle didn't know that they belonged to Ruby's big sister. Ruby sneaked out of their room out into the common room and found some things to get into the room. She was nervous because she had never done anything so bad before, Ruby looked around and saw Periwinkle sitting at one of the tables and let out a sigh. Ruby had listened in on the innkeepers and Peri's conversation, thus she found out where the room was, then she went down the hall. She picked the lock until she got in, then Ruby went to the dresser and put the dress into it then proceeded to put the stick on the bed. Ruby went to the door and was about to go out when she heard footsteps in the hallway by the door, she halted...

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 10-03-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #32
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Seated in the cheery common room, Peri’s attention wandered to some elves relaxing around a nearby table. Several minutes passed as she observed them while trying to remain unnoticed herself. She was fascinated by their long, lean appearance, which was accentuated by their flowing cloaks and robes. The muted colors and luxurious-looking cloth looked strange to the hobbit girl, used to the bright colors loved by Shire-folk.

She herself wore a sensible brown serge skirt and a white blouse covered by a dark green bodice covered in embroidery. Her thick brown curls were pulled back and held in place at the nape of her neck with a wide amber ribbon that had started the day tied in a ladylike bow, but which now hung limply down on either side of her ponytail.

So absorbed was she in watching her elven neighbors that she squeaked in startlement when a middle-aged hobbit asked if she wished for something to eat or drink. Peri flushed a little at being caught staring at strangers, but any embarrassment quickly dissipated in the pleasure of ordering her meal.

“Oh yes, please, I would like some supper, sir,” she told the man politely. “I’d like some tea, to be sure, and if you have any bread or biscuits and jam to go with it I’d be most grateful. I’ll also take a helping of whatever your cook prepared for tonight’s meal – something smells wonderful! And,” she finished, looking at him hopefully, “perhaps a piece of apple pie for dessert?” As the busy hobbit began to turn toward another customer, Peri remembered an important question. Quickly she touched his arm, reclaiming his attention. “I’m so sorry, I nearly forgot to ask! I’ll need a room for five days. Who should I talk to about getting one?”
Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #33
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

The young hobbit lass clearly had been on the road for some while. Her order was long and she looked like she meant every word of it. “And,” she said in finishing, “perhaps a piece of apple pie for dessert?”

“Yes, yes,” Dick muttered, repeating her entire order in his head. “Yes, we have pie. She makes it fresh every day. He turned to go on, but she quickly touched his sleeve and he turned towards her again at once.

“I’m so sorry, I nearly forgot to ask! I’ll need a room for five days. Who should I talk to about getting one?”

“That’ll be me, Miss,” Dick said with a smile. “As soon as you’ve eaten dinner, catch my attention again, and I’ll show you to a room.” He nodded and passed onto meet other customer’s needs. . .
Old 09-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #34
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
After having told Vehil and Fain all that she could remember, Luriniel wished them good fortune in their search. There was nothing more that she could say, so she excused herself and left to check in on her sister.

Seeing that Nienna was still asleep, Luriniel took the chair opposite the bed and reflectively thought on the events of the day. How many things have happened today. Nienna's injury, out meeting Maikaalph's brother...many things. It has been so long since our familiy was stained with the crimes of our father. When shall we find peace? As her mind dwelt on these thoughts, the exhausted Luriniel slowly drifted off to sleep.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #35
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

That was more like it! Dick thought, nodding to himself. He thought that perhaps if the man was willing to be a customer he might not be so bad after all.

"Yes, we've got rooms available, and we have food, too, of course. I'll get you something directly."

"Prim," he said, bustling up to the counter. "See that the gentleman in the corner gets something to eat." He grabbed another mug and began to fill it.

"Just as soon as I get this 'ere young lady's order, then I'll go," Prim replied. "You did want something to eat, didn't you?" she asked Aeron.

Dick 'humphed' and then bustled off again to take the ale to the stranger in the corner. "The food will be coming directly. You've come many leagues, you say. What's your name?"
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #36
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
The young ranger found her attention being pulled from one halfling to the other; though she never directly looked at the man who had entered. Shady character he was, but she recognized him to be of the Dunedain same as herself, for he wore the same star brooch that was clasped at her own neck. Though this did not cause her to let her guard down, her senses heightened to become more alert than she had been before the Dunadan's entrance.

"A few pieces of buttered toast with perhaps a few slices of bacon, if it's not too much trouble, friend."

Aeron gave the female hobbit a smile, folding her hands in front of her on the countertop. "But I don’t believe it’s good to do anything on an empty stomach.” The young woman chuckled to herself, resisting the urge to shake her head at the hobbit. It was one of the things she found amusing about the halflings; their love for food. Bottomless pits, she called them, though only in jest.

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 01-08-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #37
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ibin heard Arandon out without saying a word. He returned the ranger’s gaze with narrowed eyes and a crooked smile. He prepared to answer when Aeron began speaking, and he stopped again to hear what she said.

"My father is not ashamed of me and what I do, he is proud of my dedication and honour to my people. I have shown the equivalent courage and valor to the Dunedain that a male Dunadan has, can you say the same for your kindred?"

“Are you implying something about my courage, girl?” he asked, his voice very quiet.

“See here!” Dick piped up from behind the counter, “I think things have gone on quite long enough!” Really, he had thought that for some minutes now, but had not been able to find his voice, or even find a place where his voice might be heard. But now that he started talking, he found more courage to continue. “You’ll either go sit down somewhere else or leave this place altogether.”

Ibin never shifted his gaze from the two rangers. His lips curled in a laugh before he slowly stood up and, taking his pot of beer, he turned and sauntered off to one of the tables near the fire.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Flame of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Flame of Udûn
Arandon heard the hobbits words and suddenly realised how foolish he had been allowing his emotions to run away with him like that, he knew he must take some time to calm down. he began to move towards the door before turning 'please accept my humblest apologies master hobbit I did not mean to cause such problems for I was at fault as much as the man who riled me, I will take a few minutes to calm down outside.'

With that he pulled his hood up and wrapped his cloak tightly round his chest and walked out the door. He had intended once outside to go for a walk in an effort to clear his head yet now here it took all his strength to get around the corner into the stable where he slumped down and sat a while unable to get the image of his sisters dead bodies out of his mind.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #39
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Aeron did not take her eyes off of the man until he was seated at a table and away from the bar. She turned back around, her eyes now watching Arandon walk out of the warm Inn and into the cold November air outside. Aeron chose to remain where she was at, having not been as riled as the male Dunadan. She looked at Dick, offering him an apologetic smile.

"I too am sorry for adding to the trouble that was beginning to brew inside your peaceful Inn."

Aeron rested her forearms on top of the bar, her body relaxing for the time being. She truly was glad the small verbal altercation did not turn out to be a physical one.

"If there is anything you bid me to do, I will."

Aeron had, as she stated, added to the slowly growing chaos and felt she owed the halfling that much.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #40
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Flame of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Flame of Udûn
He watched as the barman walked up to the bar he considered once again the female Ranger only a very small number of women who became rangers and he had never met one of them he was very curious about her.

'Thank you I am most grateful I've not eaten for days not properly at least my name is Arandon though many of the Rangers have decided to call me Faerandir the Ghostly Wanderer though it is a name I prefer not to use.' In a manner he hoped sounded offhand he added ' tell me what do you know of the female ranger at the bar' he hoped to conceal his curiosity at what even to his eyes (which had seen much) rather piqued his interest.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-10-2011 at 09:41 PM.