The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #2161
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
(Blah)

Well, Jenny gets another score.

Quote:
Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
For the world’s more full of weeping than you can understand.
Gorgeous poem, and beautifully sung by Lorena McKennit. Have you heard her do it?

-- Folwren
Old 04-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #2162
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'm afraid I only know it as the poem, by Yeats. Despite the fact that I am a singer myself, I tend to prefer pieces not written specifically as song to be spoken or chanted...but I shall have to look for this rendition. I don't think I've heard anything by Lorena McKennit...the name doesn't sound familiar.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #2163
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Oh, come now, come now! I don't believe a single one of you really succeeded in humming anything with your nose plugged. It's physically impossible. You can not hum without your nose! A series if grunts in the back of your throat doesn't count.

-- Folwren
I got the "Row, row, row" part. That was about all I could manage to hum before it became grunts. It was not a fun experience.

But shifting from BDers grunting to signatures:

Boromir's
Quote:
I'm making like a goose and getting the flock out of here.
Most excellent good sir, most excellent.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #2164
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
TORE's

Quote:
This is not a poem/Neither is it witty/Neither is it intelligent/But did these slashes ("/") make you think it was?
Ah, subversive thought on the 'Downs.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:21 AM   #2165
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Since you asked Folwren I just tried it and it is actually possible. Well, partially. I can get the first two to four notes as a hum and then it becomes grunting.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #2166
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Given davem's new signature...I'm not sure how much longer he's going to be with us...
Old 04-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #2167
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
Given davem's new signature...I'm not sure how much longer he's going to be with us...
I've changed it for today to some lines from Chesterton in honour of our patron saint, but if anyone wants to know what Kuru is referring to my recent sig was 'If it was easy they'd have girls doing it' - though what the problem is with that I don't know....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #2168
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
(Blah)

Well, Jenny gets another score.

Gorgeous poem, and beautifully sung by Lorena McKennit. Have you heard her do it?

-- Folwren
Another LM fan! Why didn't they let her do the songs for the movies? Have you heard Dark Night of the Soul?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #2169
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
'If it was easy they'd have girls doing it' - though what the problem is with that I don't know....
Something about the implication that girls are only good for easy work...of course, I guess the other side of that coin is that men are only interested in doing things the hard way.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #2170
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
I guess the other side of that coin is that men are only interested in doing things the hard way.
P'raps I'm not quite an average girl according to yon brawny lads, but I call the hard way the scenic route and enjoy it a lot more.

You're former sig made me laugh, davem, though it may have been admittedly incredulous. Is there a story to it?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:58 AM   #2171
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
I call the hard way the scenic route and enjoy it a lot more.
Ah, yes...the scenic route through the mountains, up the slope, through the gorge, round the bend...and over the cliff.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:58 AM   #2172
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
P'raps I'm not quite an average girl according to yon brawny lads, but I call the hard way the scenic route and enjoy it a lot more.

You're former sig made me laugh, davem, though it may have been admittedly incredulous. Is there a story to it?
No - I stole it from a post on another site, 'cos I thought: 'Funny, & so very true . I may revert to it....
Old 04-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #2173
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Ah, yes...the scenic route through the mountains, up the slope, through the gorge, round the bend...and over the cliff.
Ooh, Kuruwolf's got good memory for an old fella.

And of course over a cliff, it gives me a chance to try out some spontaneous skydiving. You'd have to be crazy to pass up something so serendipitous.

Out of even more curiosity, davem, what was the context of the quote?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #2174
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil

Out of even more curiosity, davem, what was the context of the quote?
Can't remember - it was on some BBC messageboard.

I think it might explain the lack of female characters in LotR....
Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 AM   #2175
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
And of course over a cliff, it gives me a chance to try out some spontaneous skydiving. You'd have to be crazy to pass up something so serendipitous.
I want to be your doctor...or more specifically, I want to be on the receiving end of the medical bills you're paying.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:06 AM   #2176
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I want to be your doctor...or more specifically, I want to be on the receiving end of the medical bills you're paying.
Doctors are to be avoided like the plague. Broken bones or not, it's always merely a sprain. A little ice'll fix it right up.

On topic, I noted your own sig a while ago and it made me grin. You recommend merely moderate moderation?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #2177
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Surely if one carries out Aristotle's precepts to their logical conclusion moderate moderation is the only way to live the good life.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #2178
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Very nice sig, Kuru.

Personally, I think he's just saying we should be as moderate or immoderate as we like. After all... why live your life by somebody else's quotes or ideologies?

Last edited by the guy who be short; 04-23-2006 at 10:18 AM. Reason: I'm blind
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #2179
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Personally, I think he's just saying we should be as moderate or immoderate as we like. After all... why live your life by somebody else's quotes or ideologies?
AKK!!! Free thinking!!! Run away!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #2180
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
AKK!!! Free thinking!!! Run away!!!
T'was not free... we just received his two cents. To pay to think... to what is the world coming?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:40 AM   #2181
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
we just received his two cents.
AKK!! INCOMING!!

The flaming trout shall be impacting at any moment!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #2182
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
He drank a pint of English ale
Out of an English flagon
Actually I think the English have been swizzled with their patron saint. St George never set foot in England, probably had never heard of the place. Plus the English have to share him with Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece. And he's been downgraded by the Catholic church to the lowest status of saint, so his feast day is now merely "optional."
Meanwhile, the Scots, Irish and Welsh all get proper born-and-bred national saints. Most unfair.
St Edward the Confessor, St Alban, St Guthlac - all better candidates.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #2183
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Actually I think the English have been swizzled with their patron saint. St George never set foot in England, probably had never heard of the place. Plus the English have to share him with Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece. And he's been downgraded by the Catholic church to the lowest status of saint, so his feast day is now merely "optional."
Meanwhile, the Scots, Irish and Welsh all get proper born-and-bred national saints. Most unfair.
St Edward the Confessor, St Alban, St Guthlac - all better candidates.
Oh but St George is merely a Christianisation of ancient English figures like Sigurd or Beowulf. Same way Mananan mac Lir became 'St Michael' in the Hebrides. After all the real George didn't actually kill a dragon, whereas our legends & folklore have them in plenty.

And I'm sure that George wished he was English. As that guy in 'A Knight's Tale' put it: 'The Pope may be French, but Jesus was English!'
Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #2184
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Plus St Andrew the Apostle is no more Scottish than St Patrick, a Romano-Briton, is Irish...

However, I think England's most appropriate saint would be King Henry VI, a pious man truly ahead of his time whom the Church has so far refused to even, I think, beatify.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #2185
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh, ok, my bad about Andrew.
But Patrick did convert Ireland, so making him saint of it seems fair dos.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #2186
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Plus St Andrew the Apostle is no more Scottish than St Patrick, a Romano-Briton, is Irish...

However, I think England's most appropriate saint would be King Henry VI, a pious man truly ahead of his time whom the Church has so far refused to even, I think, beatify.
Ah, but the Saint has to be credited with a miracle or two first... and in this day and age, who prays to a 500-years dead King of England?

Of course, Anguirel, if you DO end up hurting yourself terribly, you could be the first.

We digress somewhat from sigs, but being unable- completely- at the moment to remember any, I'm afraid I cannot help that matter.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #2187
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The very week Henry VI was foully murdered by minions of the usurper Edward the common folk began to declare stories of miracles and intercessions. The craven and indifferent Church refused to interfere in the murky politics of England, however.

Joan of Arc was canonised in 1930; I don't see why Henry VI shouldn't be now. He was the truest ruler in Europe to the actual teachings of Christ.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #2188
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
The very week Henry VI was foully murdered by minions of the usurper Edward the common folk began to declare stories of miracles and intercessions. The craven and indifferent Church refused to interfere in the murky politics of England, however.

Joan of Arc was canonised in 1930; I don't see why Henry VI shouldn't be now. He was the truest ruler in Europe to the actual teachings of Christ.
Then cut off your head and pray to him to intercede to God on your behalf, Anguirel! It's rather too late now for the Church to start documenting miracles from the War of Roses... And if there haven't been any SINCE then...
Old 04-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #2189
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Then cut off your head and pray to him to intercede to God on your behalf, Anguirel! It's rather too late now for the Church to start documenting miracles from the War of Roses... And if there haven't been any SINCE then...
Wouldn't one need to pray before one removed one's head?

Of course, if one did behead oneself that would make one a suicide & therefore unworthy of grace.

I think you're trying to trick a fellow 'downer into beheading himself - which is, to say the least, in somewhat questionable taste. I hope its something you aren't going to make a habit of.

I think you'd feel pretty bad if Anguirel actually did go ahead & remove his head, so I want you to go to your room & think about what you've done.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #2190
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Another LM fan! Why didn't they let her do the songs for the movies? Have you heard Dark Night of the Soul?
I don't know why they didn't have her do the LotR movies! She would have been awesome! She should have had the last song for the RotK.

I don't recall having heard Dark Night of the Soul. She's done a lot and I haven't heard a terribly amount. (Okay, this is so adorable, I've got to say it, random or not - I've got a little bird sitting out the window, just looking at me as though I were the most interesting thing in the world...tilting his head and everything...) Anyway, I've heard a bit, but not a lot, if that makes sense. Have you heard 'The Old Ways'? That's my favorite.

As for this:

Quote:
'If it was easy they'd have girls doing it'
Aye, I could see that being insulting. You do know, don't you, that girl's have some of the hardest work in the world at times? I won't go into detail.

-- Folwren
Old 04-24-2006, 06:13 AM   #2191
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril And now, for a word from our chatskwerl...

To contribute to the topic:
Quote:
"Their first project was an attempt to fashion a set of locks for all the major and minor keys, an endeavor as hopeless as it was pointless..." -The Definitive Biography of PDQ Bach
I love the phantom's PDQ Bach signature quote! The most hilarious music history ever written...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #2192
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Two goldfish were in their tank. One turns to the other and says "You man the guns, I'll drive."
This made me laugh out loud! I love it!
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #2193
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'll second that Eonwe, I saw Jenny's signature just now in the Mordor thread. It even rivals my mothers for cheesy jokes
Old 04-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #2194
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
*groan*

I didn't get that until, uh, several hours later. Haha, Jenny.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #2195
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
I don't know why they didn't have her do the LotR movies! She would have been awesome! She should have had the last song for the RotK.

I don't recall having heard Dark Night of the Soul. She's done a lot and I haven't heard a terribly amount. (Okay, this is so adorable, I've got to say it, random or not - I've got a little bird sitting out the window, just looking at me as though I were the most interesting thing in the world...tilting his head and everything...) Anyway, I've heard a bit, but not a lot, if that makes sense. Have you heard 'The Old Ways'? That's my favorite.
Dark Night of the Soul is a poem by St John of the Cross. McKennitt's setting always reduces me to tears. Its on 'The Mask & the Mirror'.http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/lm/lorecd53.html

Last edited by davem; 04-25-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #2196
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
I much enjoy Lhunardawen's siggy. It is simple in its message, and all too true as well. So very poignant.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:08 AM   #2197
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valesse's sig
"If you don't believe my story is true,
just ask the blind man... he saw it too."
Ooo, puts me in mind of the poem my Dad used to say to us:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dad
One dark night in the middle of the day
Two dead boys went out to play
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot each other
Two deaf policemen heard the noise
Came and shot the two dead boys
If you think my tale is tall,
Ask the blind man, for he saw it all

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #2198
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Quote:
Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly;
devils fall because of their gravity.
-G.K. Chesterton
I really liked this one of Fea's.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #2199
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Jenny, yours cracked me up earlier.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #2200
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Oh good...I was afraid it was too subtle.