The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
claudea99
Newly Deceased

claudea99 has just left Hobbiton.
Entwives

It is so sad that the entwives are lost.

Could they be dormant?

When Ents and Entwives produce Entlings, would they be live births, or could they start out as Ent Seeds? Seeds do make some sence, as the Ents are not all that "bendable", polienation being easier.

After the influence of Sauron as over, the White tree grew again., from a seed centuries old. Perhaps after the influence of Sauron was over, maybe the Brown lands may start to recover, Entlings sprout, of which some would be female.

Don't take anyone for granted -- learn the lessons of the ents.

BTW, what do female Orks look like? I've may of dated one once.
claudea99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just my personal opinion, I think the Entwives moved to the Shire. Because if you just look at the conversation at the Green Dragon it is in the beginning of "The Shadow of the Past" I beleive, in the Fellowship of the Ring. But I don't think Entings, because the Ents and the Entwives hadn't seen each other for and age or so.... Maybe younger full grown Ents from the last time they saw each other though.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Just my personal opinion, I think the Entwives moved to the Shire. Because if you just look at the conversation at the Green Dragon it is in the beginning of "The Shadow of the Past" I beleive, in the Fellowship of the Ring. But I don't think Entings, because the Ents and the Entwives hadn't seen each other for and age or so.... Maybe younger full grown Ents from the last time they saw each other though.
I have always thought this was the case as well that the Entwives were up in the Northfarthing. The conversation at the inn had Sam saying something about these "Tree-men," as "big as an elm" being spotted by his cousin.

In The Return of the King Treebeard tells Merry and Pippin to send word if they find the Entwives in the Shire.

Merry
Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A very nice theory, claudea99. Welcome to the Downs.

I think pollination sounds the most comfortable way for the Ents to breed. Or how would an Enting develop inside an Entwife? How would the Entwives give birth to live young? It just doesn't seem to fit their physique.

The problem with your theory is, though, that why would there only be Ent seeds in the Brown lands? Why not in other places where there still were Ents, eg. in the Fangorn forest? For if the Ents were born from seed, surely it didn't matter if it was their mother or father who brought them up.

Now that I've got into full speed... More questions.
Ents look different depending on which tree species they guard, but I've always wondered if they choose their species themselves or are kind of born with it. The Entwives clearly preferred another kinds of trees than the Ents, and eventually both sexes looked different. From which parent did the Entings inherit their looks, or are all born looking the same and differentiate only after choosing their tree species?
And what about sex determination? In mammals there are X and Y chromosomes, but is it the same with Ents? Or do some environmental variables or such affect it?

About the Entwives living near the Shire, I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #144
I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance when Sauron pursued a scorched earth policy and burned their land against the advance of the Allies down the Anduin. They survived only in the 'agriculture' transmitted to Men (and Hobbits). Some, of course, may have fled east, or even have become enslaved --- I don't know.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
claudea99
Newly Deceased

claudea99 has just left Hobbiton.
Seeds

There are trees where the "male" tree produces a different flower than the "female"... the
female producing the fruit; the male pollen. Ent seeds landing in the fertile fangorn would
sprout, to produce entlings. Those seeds carried afar by the entwives could sprout also, but if
any lasted unsprouted, they may last a very long time is a dry, unforgiving place -- to be awaken
when the brown lands come alive again. As the white tree seed did after centuries of dormancy.

Anyway it is unlikely any entwive did survive, but it it feals good to hope.
claudea99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #6
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leaf

I suspect the Entwives are still about, somewhere. There must be at least one Entwife about. On wheather they had X and Y chromosomes, this I doubt, I agree with claudea99 that it the sex determination of an Ent was just as it would be in any plant that has diffrent male and female plants. The real question is whether trees that were both male and female could become ditinct sexes when they were "awakened" or whatever by the Elves.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote