The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
TheBladeThatWasBroken
Animated Skeleton

TheBladeThatWasBroken has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBladeThatWasBroken
Sting Tolkien--Inspirations and Inspired

For school, I have to write a paper about Tolkien, and I'd like to get some advices and knowledge from those of you who are more familiar with his works. For my paper, I have to discuss:

How has Tolkien influenced modern-day fantasy fiction?
What inspired Tolkien in his works, which ideas originated from him, and how has those ideas, either inspired or original, been passed down and continued to be used in modern-day fantasy fiction?

Any feedback would be gratefully accepted, I just want to get a better understanding of the topic--especially since I don't read much fantasy other than Tolkien to know how other writers have been influenced by him.

Thanks in advance!!
Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
TheBladeThatWasBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I would recommend that you check out Meditations on Middle-earth, edited by Karen Haver, and illustrated by John Howe. As the blurb from Chapters/Indigo says:

Quote:
From the Publisher
Original essays on J.R.R. Tolkien from bestselling fantasy writers George R.R. Martin, Orson Scott Card, Terry Pratchett, Harry Turtledove, and many more. To tie in with the release of the first blockbuster film in New Line Cinemas Lord of the Rings trilogy, Meditations on Middle-Earth presents a collection of insightful, original essays by today's top fantasy and science fiction authors on the importance of The Lord of the Rings to their lives and their work. Additional bestselling and award-winning authors include: Raymong E. Feist, Ursula Le Guin, Gene Wolfe, Charles de Lint, Poul Anderson, and more! Also included is stunning original art by John Howe, the world's foremost Tolkien illustrator, who is working closely with director Peter Jackson on the upcoming films. This blockbuster book is an absolute must-have for Tolkien fans.
In other words, these are some of the biggest names in fantasy writing today, telling in a bunch of personal essays how they were influenced by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's a fairly engaging read, and more personal than academic, but I think you'd fing it an immense help.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:04 AM   #3
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
you might also want to think about the striking simillarities of Rowling's Harry Potter books, especially the Characters (and some Plot Themes), if you need or want to show direct examples of Author's being influenced (or downright copying) Tolkien's works.

for example Lord Voldemort = Sauron. The main 'baddie' had almost been defeated in the Past, and is slowly coming back to power, trying to take the world over again.

Also, in my humble opinion, the ending of Pullman's Dark Material's trilogy was a direct copy of the Gray Havens scenes of LOTR. (I state this one as Pullman seems to have been quoted in the Press to be somewhat disdainful of LOTR, and then he goes and copies the ending!)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:41 AM   #4
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
Essex has a good point with Harry Potter, what about all that He Who Must Not Be Named, giant spiders, Dumbledore/Gandalf wannabe, and it goes ever on...

Stephen Donaldson did exactly the same thing in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ( he even went as far as to have a Berek half-hand!). Have a look at these:

http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/au..._Donaldson.htm

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/myths/myth.html

http://www.authorsontheweb.com/featu...influences.asp

I hope some of that was helpfull. I'm sure there's another thread similar to this one......Can't find it though, sorry.
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthr...son#post382865 Look at post #446 that might help too.
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote