The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
daeron
Animated Skeleton

daeron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to daeron
Pipe Elven Princes- What power do they have

Hi guys! I'm new to this. I've searched many threads and not found a satisfactory answer.
Gandalf when supporting Pippin's inclusion into the fellowship says an elven prince like glorfindel could not, with his power break open the gates of Mordor. Well, what power did the elves of the third age have. We have seen elvish power in Lutian and Finrod's songs. But in others we have but seen the skill in warfare and foresight (maybe with few exceptions). Well we actually do not see much 'magic' in ME (The greatest plus point of Tolkien's works). If the greater elves like Elrond, Cirdan and Galadriel do actually have great power, that which does not originate from the rings, how come they never used it in the third age. Also any clues as to the roles of Elves in the last battle of the second age are welcome (apart from normal war).
Is Glorfindel the same as the one who died in gondolin and if so when did he return. If so, he being involved in the kinslaying of Aqualonde should not have been allowed to return, until Dagor Dagorlad. Or atleast that is the fate of the kinslayers as I remember reading.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 AM   #2
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Hello and may I say WELCOME to the Downs... and as far as my cerebrum and cerebellum and medulla remember it, the elves Galadriel and Elrond did have powers, though Elrond must have gotten it from his fore-mommy Luthien, who in turn got it from her divine mommy Melian. I daresay Galadriel, being a Calaquendi girl who's seen the Light ere the Sun and Moon has possessed a sort of power in Valinor and from the Trees.

Cirdan may have gotten his from the sea, and/or being such an OLD elf...

As for the Glorfindel who seems to have returned from Mandos, well, let's just say that he may not have been active at the Kinslaying. Remember the part saying that Finrod laughs again beneath the trees in Eldamar (I don't have a book) after dying saving Beren? They both have noble deeds which I deem may be enough to hasten their reincarnations.

~yavie

Last edited by yavanna II; 06-09-2005 at 04:40 AM.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You'll find some interesting things about Glorfindel here including ideas about why and how he came back to Middle Earth. It does seem that because of his subsequent heroic actions, he was not only given a new incarnation but was also allowed to cross back to Middle Earth (it seems that those who were incarnated again stayed in Valinor).

Quote:
I think, Elrond, that in this matter it would be well to trust rather to their friendship than to great wisdom. Even if you choose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire by the power that is in him.'
Looking at what Gandalf says, I think he is warning Elrond against trying to choose the Fellowship for their strength or wisdom. He seems to be saying that neither of these things will help them either beat Sauron or sneak into Mordor, and that great friendship will count for a lot more on this mission. Which proves to be true.

It's a good question though, daeron, as that passage does seem to hint that Glorfindel has some powers within him. Having come back from the Halls of Mandos, he must have been chosen in some way - and to be chosen maybe he already had these powers? It reminds me of how Gandalf himself is sent back to Middle earth, though at a lesser level. It might be worth me having a look at that older thread again!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
daeron
Animated Skeleton

daeron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to daeron
If they do have powers, why don't they use them. Especially those in Rivendell. They never took part in the third age. And I would like an other answer than "the time of the elves is over. The age of Men has come".

Another interesting thing noted in a letter by Tolkien is that he considers Imladris to be 'not a place of action but of reflection'.
'Elrond symbolises throughout ancient wisdom and his house represents lore- the preservation in reverant memory of all that is goodwise and beautiful'
unquote

As he says, in the Hobbit they continue on thier journey and in Lotr the embark on a whole new quest. It was also where the last Alliance was gathered of a while.