The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2002, 06:35 PM   #41
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hmmmm.... very intresting....

My personal evil is intolerance/predjudice. I know what it can do to people, and I would sacrifice myself to destroy it forever. Iīve felt how it feels to be hted for no reason, exept how you look.

Question: Some of you mentioned to want to destroy the unknown. But wouldnīt that make life WAY BORING???
Whatīs the good of life if you know how itīs gonna end? How can you live in this world if youīve figuerd out how it has been destroyed? How can you read a book, if you know the end? Our life is full of suprises- you have no idea what might awate you round that corner. And thatīs just as good.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:21 PM   #42
JulieADeal

Sting

Actually...I don't think there's anything boring about removing the guesswork. What would make life really interesting is to see what people would do if they had all the facts. What if Frodo and the gang had known that ultimately none of it really mattered...that what they believed was reality was actually only the beginning of a bigger journey that begins when you pass from this mortal life to the etheral?
Old 12-29-2002, 09:41 PM   #43
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Sting

A very thoughtful point Gloin. But if I may rebuttle:

If Apathy is a problem in the world now, removing the unkown would triple it. If everyone knew that most (if not all) of what they do in life didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, nothing would ever get done. People would throw up their hands. "why bother?" would become a world cry and thus humanity quickens the pace at which we are digging ourselves a hole which we just might not be able to climb out of again. (mmm...that came out a little bleak, even for me. let me try again)

Man (elf, hobbit, dwarf, etc) cannot know everything because we haven't the capacity to deal with something like that. Even the few who catch glimpses of the future (elrond,galadriel, etc) only see pieces which are vauge and even then things aren't always for sure set.

I for one would not want to know all. For in the Unknown is also found Hope. Without which, life on earth would be unbearably depressing. (mmm..still pretty bleak, well, i tried.)

~At any rate, All the answers here have been thoughtful and made good points. Many thanks once again to this threads creator.

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Nianna Telmnar ]
Old 04-03-2003, 10:59 PM   #44
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It's been a while since this has seen the light of day. I was curious what some of our newer posters thought.

sharon
Old 05-17-2003, 11:48 AM   #45
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I weild Niena, one of the 9 rings of men. It has a silver band, with a small blue-black-green stone and an aquamarine. The band
takes the shape of a vine, with the two stones set in the center of 2 intricate silver stars.

I am not on a quest. In fact, I doubt I'd have the courage to be on one in the first place. My elven counterpart Elgarantien does not bear a ring, though she was forced to sacrifice herself to give the inhabitants of middle-earth a choice. I, the Black Lady, am currently under the pressure of restoring peace to a crumbling nation so I hardly have time for a journey such as Frodo's.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:31 PM   #46
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Khmzzzzzz....Now that is a hard question . Ofcoursly I would like to throw all the dumb politicks of me country in that Mt. Doom but that would be cruel . I would throw in all desieses , idiots , "ļergas" sellers , my teacher (deffinetly) , and other stuff like that . I confess I wouldn't take a big mission to save the world because there is no use to save things that are ment for decai . Sad but a fact .