The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #81
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Scientists are always trying to explain evil deeds, and the nature/nurture debate always rears its head. Someone may have certain hormonal or mental disabilities which statistically may make them more likely to commit crimes, but statistics are also often misleading and contradictory. The hormonal imbalances which are seen in x percentage of criminals may seem to be the cause of their crimes, but it may instead be lack of proper medical and social care which leads people to be disaffected and hence commit crimes.

The law does take this into account. If a criminal is found to have acted under diminished responsibility then they are charged and dealt with accordingly. We can't do much more than that, as where does it stop if we start looking at probabilities?

Once again I would point out the caveats in my original posts......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #82
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Once again I would point out the caveats in my original posts......
And I apologise for not recognising that! I just could not help myself but put in the causal link between the disability and the negative consequences, it's an occupational hazard. And I have to confess, disability issues are a bit of a hobby horse.

Another idea - if Hell is symbolised (for some) by certain places in Middle Earth, what is also interesting is that there has already been a Hell, the one created by Morgoth. This one was destroyed yet another one has been created which has to be destroyed. Will this continue throughout the history of Middle Earth? The story The New Shadow in HoME seems to hint at this, and interestingly it would be a Hell created by Men. So each Hell would be created by powers increasingly more 'weak' or earthly. And together with this, the 'Heaven' of Middle Earth becomes increasingly less magical along with the destruction of each Hell. The Middle Earth of the Third Age is a little less magical than Beleriand, and the Fourth Age ME is a little less magical than the Third Age ME, with the departure of the Elves. As time passes by it seems Middle Earth would eventually become like our own world where both Hell and Heaven are somehow diminshed and at times, indistinguishable.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #83
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
And I apologise for not recognising that! I just could not help myself but put in the causal link between the disability and the negative consequences, it's an occupational hazard. And I have to confess, disability issues are a bit of a hobby horse.

I certainly wasn't intending to attack the disabled - I chose Special Needs ed for my dissertation and more recently have worked in Supported Housing and for a Trust for Adults with Learning Disabilities so it was the last thing on my mind.

However I do think scientific research will raise difficult ethical issues - but may also help some groups - for example reduce the stigma still attached to mental illness. Now I am thinking of Samuel Butler's Erewhon .....

And evil is such and emotive term but what is the alternative? I don't know if II can completely separate the behaviour from the person a la Lord Soper.. but I do think someone who chooses "an evil path" is vastly more culpable than someone whose path has been forced by their genetic make up.

It isn't easy and I can understand why Tolkien had such trouble with the orcs....

I would expand, but I know that my own examples of evil are likely to offend at least one contributor so I think I will leave it there....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-29-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #84
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great posts all - too much to take in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Yet, if Middle-earth was this world in ancient times, & if, as Tolkien believed, Christianity is True, why would such things not be present in some form in Middle-earth? What I'm getting at is, the forms, the 'outward signs' of Religion certainly do not belong in Faerie (or in the historical period before they came into being) but the 'facts' those forms & emblems refer to, if they are True must exist there, if Faerie itself is at all True.
One way to 'fit' the ME history with our own plus stay consistent with Christianity, one can set the Fourth Age in BCE then assume that the ME history has been blurred a bit during repeated transcriptions. As assumedly the events in ME did not happen in the Middle East (but in Europe?), then Biblical references to the crowning of Aragorn, Gondor, Elves etc can be easily be accounted for as these weren't part of the 'world' at that time. For example, does the Bible refer to events in China?

And reading the various posts made me see a similarity between the ME and Christian Bible history. In each, one goes from an ancient time of worldy Paradise to a more modern age where miracles (meaning what we would consider to be miracles) are less common, human lives are shortened and intervention by the Divine is more subtle if existent. Knowledge, meaning the kind that would seem divine in nature, is also decreasing - one does not see anyone building Orthanc or making Palantiri in the Third Age.

Evil too is in a slide, becoming more human in form as time passes.

I would say, from a naturalistic pov, that the reverse has taken place in our reality/world. Surely there were golden ages in the past, but we now live longer, have more technology and knowledge (but not wisdom ). One thing is the same though; the intervention of the Divine is less apparent than in the past.

And a few post scripts:

Males are XY and females are XX (with a few exceptions, of course). I'm a skeptic (it's my religion). And I believe in genetic predisposition, not genetic predeterminism, meaning that most things aren't 'on/off' but are a spectrum ( a 'normal' bell curve) where one can have a greater or lesser predisposition to a trait.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 PM   #85
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I wasn't clear before.

Quote:
In the book lembas has two functions. It is a 'machine' or device for making credible the long marches with little provision, in a world which as I have said 'miles are miles'. But that is realtively unimportant. It also has a much larger significance, of what one might hesitatingly call a 'religious' kind. This becomes later apparent, especially in the chapter 'Mount Doom' (III 213 and subsequently) ... The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die ...... It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind.
Religion is (usually formal) human activity in response to the perceived supernatural.

Tolkien hesitates to call it religious, but does not stop from doing so. The Elves seem gifted to make everyday created stuff supernaturally potent, be it food, rope, clothing, boats that don't sink, swords that reveal the presence of enemies; even in the Third Age.

But why does Tolkien call this "religious"?

Is it because it's supernatural? Or is it because it's consciously Catholic in the revision? Which reminds me of another thread I haven't found in a while, "Consciously So in the Revision".
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #86
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
The Elves seem gifted to make everyday created stuff supernaturally potent, be it food, rope, clothing, boats that don't sink, swords that reveal the presence of enemies; even in the Third Age.
Would disagree. What exactly did the Elves of the Third Age create that would surpass (in greatness units? ) something created in the Second or First? The swords, Rings, lembas etc are created earlier. One may bake a new batch of lembas, but the recipe is still the same as it ever was.

Was Aragorn's sheath for Anduril created? Was Anduril created anew or simply just Narsil 2.0?

Even Arwen, the Evenstar, did not rival Tinúviel.

My take on the elves regarding rope, boats and other 'well-made' items is just that - after sitting around pondering and experimenting with rope weaving/design/use for 3-4 thousand years one tends to end up with a well-made product. That and we would have to include a little extra- or super- natural input into the same as we are considering elves.

And if you're tutored in the same by some Elf who's seen Aman...
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:37 PM   #87
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar
Would disagree. What exactly did the Elves of the Third Age create that would surpass (in greatness units? ) something created in the Second or First? The swords, Rings, lembas etc are created earlier. One may bake a new batch of lembas, but the recipe is still the same as it ever was.
Well, I suppose this just reflects Elvish psychology. The past was 'perfect' for them. 'Change' of any kind would be seen as change for the worse. This is what's behind their desire to 'embalm' the world, to prevent it changing. It also accounts for their pessimism. Men seek to improve things, make things better, whereas Elves struggle to prevent them getting worse. So, Men are (psychologically) evolutionists, in that they struggle to improve upon the past (putting aside those with a strong 'Numenorean' strain as personified by Faramir), while Elves think in terms of 'devolution' from an ideal.

So, Elves could not make 'better' swords than those made in the past as any alteration in sword design would be a change away from perfection, hence it would go against their whole way of thinking, against their nature, to alter what they had recieved. The Elves of the Third Age have effectively stopped, & are attempting to hold back the tides of change. They cannot make better swords, Rings, Lembas, rope, or anything else, they can only make 'worse' ones. The 'Long Defeat' they fight against is, ultimately, the wearing of Time itself. Time is the enemy, because Time moves them away from the perfection that once was - even if that 'perfection' never really was, & only existed as a 'dream' in the minds of later Elves looking back. Yet that's what they did. Even Feanor's appeal to the Noldor in Aman was to Cuivienen. He offered to take them back to Middle-earth. But when they got there they almost instantly began looking back to Aman.

In short, I don't think we can expectanything else from the Firstborn than that they would refuse to change anything they had inherited. It wasn't so much that they had experimented over the millenia & come up with the best they could possibly make of Swords, Rings, Waybread Boats & Rope, etc, so that there was no point in trying to improve it, it was that what they had was what they had inherited from the past, so it couldn't be improved, only made worse by being made 'different'. They simply weren't going to surrender to their true Enemy - Time itself.

Which brings us, perhaps, to the 'Elvish' strain in Tolkien, because for all he condemns the Elves for their backward-looking he seems to be of the elvish party himself.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #88
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Davem wrote:
Quote:
Time is the enemy, because Time moves them away from the perfection that once was - even if that 'perfection' never really was, & only existed as a 'dream' in the minds of later Elves looking back.
This may be applicable to nostalgia in the real world, but I think that for the Elves the perfection, or at least something very close to perfection, really did exist. Aman before the unchaining of Melkor and Beleriand before the return of Melkor were, in different ways, genuinely idyllic. In the real world, the Utopian past may be a myth, but in Arda (a mythical world) it was real.

Quote:
Which brings us, perhaps, to the 'Elvish' strain in Tolkien, because for all he condemns the Elves for their backward-looking he seems to be of the elvish party himself.
I suspect this is not uncommon; I certainly have more of the Elvish pessimism than the Mannish optimism about the future.

Last edited by Aiwendil; 04-29-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #89
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
As has been stated by davem, Tolkien seemed slightly Elvish in that he believed that things were good once and he preferred to look back upon what once was . Perhaps thats why he wanted so desperately to write a history book.

But, true, Tolkien did show the alternate method of Man's progress forward. Does this mean that we might have found a somewhat objective author? Heaven forbid! And he died before I could meet him.

And, if Heaven and Hell are both depicted and are both capable of destruction, is the conclusion that we can't be inbetween? And that they are destructible?

b_b