The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 10:38 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Elrond (Hugo Weaving)*

Elrond had a part in this movie - what did you think of his role and the acting?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:23 PM   #2
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well Estelyn, Hugo acted beautifully (as usual) but they could have made him less mean. What happened to "kind as sumer"?<P>I did feel sad however, when Arwe wes leaving. Elrond looked like he was about to burst into tears.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I didn't think Elrond was mean at all. He tells it like it is.<P>I also loved that scene with Arwen leaving. Tears welled up in my eyes seeing the look on Elrond's face. He was heartbroken.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well Eomer, that's true. Tel ti like it is I say.<BR>Yes, the look on his face when Arwen was leaving was so ssad. O was expecting him to burst into tears at any moment.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:23 PM   #5
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I do agree that Elrond was "telling it like it is", however, I think that he could have been much kinder about it. Not to get started on the book to movie comparisons again, but Elrond always seemed to support Arwen's decision. After all he, Elrond Half-elven, was the long-term product of two such unions: Luthien and Beren, and Tuor and Idril. Anyway, I always got the impression that elves felt very differently about death than men. I recall that they looked at death as a gift; that men could leave the world, while they had to linger behind, waiting for the end. <P>Maybe I pulled this out of the air, but I recall something being said about the opinions of the Eldar on death in Akallabeth. Even in Ainuindale, the secondborn were given a special gift by Iluvatar; that is, the gift of death.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:45 PM   #6
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond was simply telling the truth. He feared for Arwen and had to tell her the truth. He had to tell her that there was little or no hope.<P>However, saying that "he is not coming back" is definately a little harsh. PJ has his reasons.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:14 PM   #7
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I thought he did a great job. Supportive? I always thought he was rather against it. Granted, he didn't "tell" Arwen that she couldn't stay, but he did say "Arwen Undomiel shall not stay for any lesser man than the king of Gondor and Arnor" or something like that. When Arwen was crying and leaned over to hug him, I burst into tears (one of the many times) I thought Hugo did some very compelling acting.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:43 PM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

But Aragorn never "came back". That line turns out to mean nothing at all!
Old 12-23-2002, 07:21 AM   #9
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was brilliant. But I could have killed him. How can a father do that to his daughter? I felt majorly sorry for Arwen. But the acting was great.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:36 PM   #10
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How can a father do that to his daughter? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Because he loves her. Would you want your daughter to die while you lived on, always regretting that you didn't make her go with you? The rest of your family's with you in Valinor, but is she? No. She's gone, and she's not coming back. Think of what that was doing to him, not just from Arwen's point of view. (even though I did feel sorry for Arwen)
Old 12-23-2002, 11:55 PM   #11
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I saw TTT again tonight so here is my take on the scene with Elrond...<P>First of all I <B>DO NOT</B> think Elrond is trying to be cruel to either Aragorn or Arwen., but far from it...<P>Yeah I know he sounded harsh when he spoke to them both but think about it, guys: how gentle would you be if you were faced with losing your <B>beloved</B> and <B>only</B> daughter for all of eternity?<P>I mean when Elrond leaves for the West there is a chance he will never see Arwen again and he knows that after he is gone she will one day die as a mortal and leave the circles of the world.<P>She will be out of his reach forever - unless of course Eru does reunite them when the Second Music is sung before His throne - but if you're Elrond you have no way of knowing if Elves and Men will be joined together when that day comes...<P>My heart actually broke a second time for Elrond as I watched the scenes with him because he's had a lot of pain in his long life - first he lost his parents at a young age, and then his brother choose to be a mortal which resulted in his death, his wife was forced to sail West a long time before he was ready to leave, and then finally his only beloved daughter chooses to live a mortal life for the love of a mortal man who was Elrond's foster son...<P>Sorry guys, I do not agree with the majority here when the majority says that Elrond was mean and cruel in <I>The Two Towers</I> because in my eyes I only saw a father who was heartbroken at the thought of losing his daughter...
Old 12-25-2002, 03:23 AM   #12
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> he's had a lot of pain in his long life - first he lost his parents at a young age, and then his brother choose to be a mortal which resulted in his death, his wife was forced to sail West a long time before he was ready to leave <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You took the words right out of my, uh...fingers. Elrond wasn't being mean or cruel or spiteful, he just didn't want to lose any more relatives to death. He didn't want to lose Arwen in the same manner.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:52 AM   #13
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

You know what? I think Elrond needs a big group hug. uh...no. (can you imagine that?) I'm just trying to say that I feel sorry for him and he is in no way cruel. He could have ordered her, you know, instead of just pushing her to go.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:19 AM   #14
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond was definitely mean in FOTR the movie. He seemingly despised the race of men, even though he is only half-elven himself (but this is never stated in the films). In TTT Frodo was mean (to Sam) and so was Sam (to Gollum). Of course, many of my gripes about the movies come from differences to the books, which isn't entirely fair. Hugo Weaving is an excellent actor, granted, but he just isn't Elrond to me. He's not pretty enough for one thing. Liv Tyler and Orlando Bloom are much better cast as Elves than Hugo is.<P>But Elrond in the Second Age intro is THE MAN! I love his costume and his sword, and the scene inside Mt Doom is one of my faves.<P>"Cast it into the fire! EEEESILDUUUUUUUR!!!!"
Old 12-28-2002, 09:42 PM   #15
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Silmaril

The part that sealed his role was when he asked Arwen if he also did not have her love. Right then, you see some of the "harshness" slip away and see a very caring father worried for his daughters fate. A sort of helpless look, like he knows he can't make her go but he wishes that he could. It's quick and subtle, but it's there. Hugo did such a good job with that scene I'm almost willing to forget how 2-D Elrond's movie character was written.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:52 PM   #16
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Alex Chamois has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

HW was excellent as Elrond in TTT. 'Nuff said
Alex Chamois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 02:04 AM   #17
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I first saw Elrond in FOTR the first time, I did not like him as much.<P>When I got the extended version, I liked him a little more.<P>When I saw TTT, I liked him much better, very good performance, like everyone in these movies.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:10 PM   #18
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm almost willing to forget how 2-D Elrond's movie character was written. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Just wondered if you could clarify that, Nianna? Elrond's part is hugely enlarged (oops, should've rephrased that) from the books. In the Council of Elrond Tolkien does a great job of making Elrond seem immortal, ancient and wise. But apart from this, we don't see much of his real personality - what does he think, what makes him tick? Maybe you mean that movierond seemed a bit stiff and rigid, much too like Agent Elrond from the Matrix?
Old 12-31-2002, 02:28 PM   #19
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Elrond always looks mean, it is because of the eyebrows and because of his role in the Matrix. He is a good actor though, and I think managed to pull of a good Elrond, just not the same as I pictured in my mind. One question, why is he still standing there watching Arwen leave? I would understand that he would have to be the last to leave Rivendell, but it doesn't even look like he is thinking about leaveing. Wouldn't he want to make sure that Arwen got on that boat? And what was with the telepathy with Galadriel?
Old 04-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #20
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Today, April 4th is Hugo Weaving's (Elrond) birthday! Hugo was born on April 4th, 1960 in Nigeria. That makes him 43 today! Happy Birthday Hugo!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:24 PM   #21
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, Happy Birthday!<BR>Back to the "pretty" thing, I think that if Elrond had been too pretty, it would have detracted from the realism of the Elves. Even if they are ethereal, they dwell in Middle Earth and shouldn't look like plastic cutouts. Hugo provided that richness.
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:15 AM   #22
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond was one of the best done characters in the movies so far. Hugo Weaving made him very believable.<P>I burst into tears at his face when Arwen was leaving.<P>On a non-related note: does anyone think that David Bowie would have done a good/better job as Elrond? I heard he wanted the part.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:36 PM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

David Bowie would have been too well known and could have dominated the film activities a bit too much, like the media would have been all over him.<P>A bit like Liv Tyler, only more emphasised. (Gee, I hope <I>someone</I> understood that!)<P>Enough of my rambling. I'll just add that I didn't really rate Bowie in Labyrinth.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:58 AM   #24
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Okay after my 3rd viewing of ROTK I still find Hugo Weaving's performance as Elrond to be one of the most touching of the movie (even if I did think it was stupid Arwen's fate was tied in with that of the Ring's) - and I truly cannot understand why people comes so hard down on Elrond!<P>I don't see his words to either Arwen or Aragorn to be harsh in the previous movies, nor in this one either! <P>I felt one can't help but feel sympathy for Elrond as he faces losing his only daughter to the same choice his brother made - and that final scene in Minas Tirith where Elrond gives Arwen over to Aragorn I cannot help but cry as he had the most anguished expression on his face - yes he was smiling but it was the smile of someone trying to put on a brave face for his daughter as you can just see the tears in his eyes!<P>No I like this portrayal of Elrond - even if I am th only fan who does not find fault with Hugo Weaving or his performance!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:00 PM   #25
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

You are not alone. I loved him too.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #26
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

1420!

<B>Your Mission, Frodo...</B><P> Here's a new one... <A HREF="http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2788927a11,00.html" TARGET=_blank>News Article featuring Self-Confessed Tolkien Expert</A>.<P>A semi-interesting article from Aotearoa/New Zealand about a guy who lectured on Tolkien for 25 years, and now leads american groups on tours of the movie locations! He has both good and bad things to say, but this line about who <I>should</I> have played Elrond is a real winner: <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Peter Graves, now 82, who played Jim Phelps in the cult 1960s series Mission Impossible would have been spot on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-20-2004, 05:30 PM   #27
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Peter Graves, in my opinion, looks closer to my imagination of Elrond age-wise, though I personally think he would have made a better Cirdan (provided he grew the beard for it ).<P>-Angmar<P>P.S. Where is Cirdan in <I>Return of the King</I>? I guess they Glorfindelled him.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:08 PM   #28
Amariden Ravenhill
Wight

Amariden Ravenhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do recall seeing Cirdan.....in ROTK there is an older elf with white hair standing near Gandalf at the harbors......

Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
Amariden Ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:05 PM   #29
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Yes, indeed. I believe that was Cirdan.<P><BR>I am another one of those people who doesn't find fault with Hugo Weaving's acting. For those of you who claim that he was too harsh in TTT, are any of you parents? Can you imagine what it is like to lose the greatest treasure in your life to a scruffy man (albeit a <I>royal</I>, scruffy man), and knowing that one day, she will die and leave this world forever? As Bernard Hill so eloquently stated in TTT:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>No parent should have to bury their child.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It is so true. No parent wants to see their child struck down in the prime of their life. How could Elrond sleep at night knowing that his most precious jewel will die one day? To us, death is something that we're used to. We know that all of us will die one day. However, it isn't that way in Elrond's world. He was an Elf, ergo, he was immortal. Naturally he would want his daughter to stay immortal. He lost his twin brother to death, he nearly lost his wife to death, he lost one of his greatest friends to a gruesome death, and now, would he calmly let his daughter make a choice that would lead her to heartache? He knew that Arwen would die of a broken heart after the death of Aragorn. No parent wants to see their child with a broken heart, much less die from one, and still remain helpless.<p>[ 12:38 PM January 23, 2004: Message edited by: Finwe ]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:06 PM   #30
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Those of you discussing Elrond/Weaving's role in the RotK movie may not realize that this is last year's TTT thread... I recommend that you continue on the RotK thread for him!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #31
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Silmaril

Here it be, in all its <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002539" TARGET=_blank>official glory!! <BR></A> <BR>Although I think that <B>one</B> thread discussing Elrond throughout the trilogy would be interesting, as well.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:59 PM   #32
Romyre

Tolkien

Methinks that Hugo Weaving did a wonderful job of playing Elrond, I certainly don't know of anyone else who could have been Elrond!
Old 01-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #33
poisonivy

Sting

I can quite very well understand Elrond. I'm sure at the back of his mind he must have been telling himself, "I am only trying to be a good father." No good father would let his son or daughter leave a wonderful life just to suffer the harsh fates of life. But still, because he is a good father he would give everything (even perhaps the stars and the moon) just to see his daughter happy even it pains him. <P>In TTT, Elrond was trying his "last" best to get Arwen to stay with him and their kind but he also knows that Arwen is just as determined as he is to be with the one she loves. It was just a scene that showed how great a father's love can be. And that no father, much less Elrond, could be that cruel to deny his daughter her happiness.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:06 PM   #34
Elanor the Fair
Pile O'Bones

Elanor the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well he was a bit harsh but he had to say something to keep his daughter. So that is where the "he will not come back" line really meant. <BR>Over all Hugo did a preatty good job with it exspeacially during fotr. Although he had a small part in that movie.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:24 PM   #35
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I find it hard to understand those of you who think Elrond was "harsh" or "mean" in the movieverse - I agree with the notion of a heartbroken father doing his best for hisl ittle girl - but just go back and have a look at the Elrond of the novel. While his attitude was understandable "If my daughter is going to marry a mortal and die, he'd bloddy well better be King of Gondor and Arnor!" the story ended with him and Arwen having a huge row and parting in bitterness. Compare this with the coronation scene in the film version where - yes, it's a pained smile, but Elrond is doing his best to make his child happy, however much it costs him in grief.<BR>And for the record, I think Hugo Weaving was the ideal Elrond, just as I imagined him. PETER GRAVES?!? Come on, now! :-) Elrond is described as looking neither young nor old, and dark-haired. HW played the role with a great deal of dignity, but then he is a very versatile actor. I have seen him on stage in Shakespeare and he was a wonderfully cheeky Petruchio and a delicious Benedick.
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:51 AM   #36
stickifinger
Animated Skeleton

stickifinger has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to say that from the moment I saw him in FotR, Hugo Weaving WAS Elrond to me. He looked just the way I imagined he would. Yes, I would have liked to see him smile once in a while, like maybe at the hobbits, but Hugo Weaving was exactly the way I imagined Elrond would look.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:13 AM   #37
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, he did smile once, at Sam, when he came bursting out of the bushes in FOTR, and he made that comment about how it's impossible to separate them "even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not." I always loved that dryly amused line in the novel and I liked the smile in the film. And that comically confused look when Merry and Pippin turn up! :-)
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 11:35 AM   #38
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

^Yes I love it when he smiles at the hobbits at that point.<P>For me he was perfect for Elrond, and I didn't think him mean at all.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:10 PM   #39
SneakyHobbit

Pipe

I though Hugo Weaving did a great job, though (as some people said) he was a little mean. Someone said he 'told it like it it is'. I think I can understand that. But it was still a very good performance, and to me, a very good adaptation from the books. Elrond was a pretty cool character in the movies. I like the way he says 'You will unite or you will fall.' in FotR. <p>[ 11:11 PM January 31, 2004: Message edited by: SneakyHobbit ]