The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
White Tree King of Kings

This thread is about who you think is the best King of all time, in Middle Earth. The person can be Male, Female, Dwarf, Man, Elf, or even a Hobbit (if you can find any Hobbit kings).

I'll start the thread.

Dáin II Ironfoot
Fought in the War of Dwarves and Orcs. King of the Lonely Mountain during the War of the Ring. Durin and was the son of Nain and the grandson of Gror, who led a company of Dwarves to settle in the Iron Hills.

Dáin II Ironfoot had all the trappings of a great King: Loyal to his kin and friends, amazingly honest for a dwarf, strong leader/warrior, and a wise ruler.

There you have it. I’ve nominated my “King of Kings” now you nominate yours!

Have fun,
-Grion Redbeard

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 01-01-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hmmm. I think I will have to not go for Thranduil! Maybe... well the thain of the Shire was knida like a king, so I'll have to go with..

Paladin Took the father of Peregrin Took

He defended his home and town from Saurman's guys during the Scouring and... well raised Pippin (and didn't kill him first)
Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Dwarven Warrior
Newly Deceased

Dwarven Warrior has just left Hobbiton.
Nice Thread Groin. I think Elendil tops them all, even Dain II. If it wasn't for him all of Arda would have fallen into darkness.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
How about Elessar? I think he did more on a grand scale and for more people than most could claim credit for and faced greater odds to get there than most.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
How about Elessar? I think he did more on a grand scale and for more people than most could claim credit for
Elessar's deeds as a king, in my opinion, weren't as impressive as when he was a ranger, but he was a great king.

Quote:
and faced greater odds to get there than most.
Very true. Those that are well tried in life usaully make the best leaders.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Golly, this is a hard thread. You can't very well compare between races and ages; each monarch needs to be considered within their own particular context. Seriously, I could just choose Illuvatar and trump all of you. So, perhaps a better idea would be to select, say, the greatest king of the third age, or the greatest king of the dwarves, or something like that.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, I made my choice and it is based more on feeling, if someone told me: King of Kings in Middle-Earth? What would I reply, simply as that. It does not have much to do with the fact that the king would be the best ruler, the kindest, most powerful and most famous and victorious over most enemies and with most heroic deeds behind him or anything like that, but who is THE king for me, is the King of the Mountain, Thorin Oakenshield.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, why not go with something different and take Brytta.
Not often do you find a ruler that is generous to all, especially to the needy. I don't doubt that Aragorn or Eomer weren't like that as well, but I still think they were as kings a bit above the ordinary ones, while Brytta received the title Leofa, the Beloved, because of the attachment of all Rohirrims to him.
Now that's a king!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Golly, this is a hard thread. You can't very well compare between races and ages; each monarch needs to be considered within their own particular context. Seriously, I could just choose Illuvatar and trump all of you. So, perhaps a better idea would be to select, say, the greatest king of the third age, or the greatest king of the dwarves, or something like that.
I could open a can of worms with that one...
Old 01-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I don't want to make this thread too narrow. After all, in my opinion, narrow minded threads are for narrow minded people.

Let's try and get back on the main subject. Next nomination please...
Old 01-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I bet if you started a thread on who were the best queens you'd get a bit more discussion.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Queens?

As far as kings go (and beyond the obvious choice of Aragorn), I really like Dain Ironfoot.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Narya No-one appreciates one of the greatest heroes of all- Círdan

I don't know if this counts, but Círdan (he rules Falas and Lindon throughout his life).

He is the oldest elf on middle earth (not including Valinor), I think maybe 15,000 years old? He was at the first march of the elves, whe n they went West from Cuivienen.

He got messages from the Valar that he was needed in Middle Earth so he stayed.
His people got attacked so much, including by the full force of Angmar, but many of them survived.

He took part in almost every major battle (with elves in it), with the exception of the War of the Ring (but actually there were no elves there except Legolas, at least, in the book).

He taught many people to shipbuild, and without him and his people, there would be no ships.

He gave his most precious and powerful possession, Narya, to Gandalf, and realised that he was more powerful and wiser than Saruman.

And he vowed to stay in middle-earth while Gandalf was there, even when most of his race was leaving, and actually stayed there until the year 62 (I think) of the Fourth Age, when Sam left for Valinor.

He actually did much more that I have not the time to mention them all.

Círdan, the best king of all...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
King of durins folk
Newly Deceased

King of durins folk has just left Hobbiton.
where on earth do all of you get all this knowledge .... its amazing ... I would bet my right arm .. that you guys are like ten times as good as I am ...

Its almoust painful to say this .. but i havent even seen the third movie..
and on the top of it all I tried to read the book but gave up at page ten or something

and all the stuff you know after and before the movies .. is that from simarillion ?
King of durins folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Hyarmendacil - South Conqueror.

Gondor was at the height of its power under King Ciryaher and he fixed its problems for quite a time, especially humbling the Haradrim who were a real threat.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 04-04-2008 at 06:29 PM.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote