The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2003, 03:20 AM   #1121
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The fourth House Contest has closed, with walking chants from WWEC, TORC and TORN winning points. Apparently, there were no BD entries. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] We are still holding third place out of six groups, which is not bad. To read about the results, go here: House Contests.

Let's try to compete in the next house contest; I'll let you know when it starts. The milestones page looks good, with lots of lovely black shields - keep up the good work!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 03:52 PM   #1122
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

See what happens when you don't log in regularly. I totally missed the Fourth House Contest. Oh well, hopefully they will have another soon.

I haven't been on the computer, but I have been walking! BlingBling and I are thankfully not as worn out as, I'm sure, the Hobbits were feeling.

You have walked 359 miles.
You have reached the second camp in the Trollshaws (359). You still have 99 miles to Rivendell.

The hobbits were glad to leave the cheerless lands and the perilous Road behind them; but this new country seemed threatening and unfriendly. As they went forward the hills about them steadily rose. Here and there upon heights and ridges they caught glimpses of ancient walls of stone, and the ruins of towers: they had an ominous look. Frodo, who was not walking, had time to gaze ahead and to think. He recalled Bilbo's account of his journey and the threatening towers on the hills north of the Road, in the country near the Troll's wood where his first serious adventure had happened. Frodo guessed that they were now in the same region, and wondered if by chance they would pass near the spot.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:59 PM   #1123
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You have walked 227.62 miles.
You have passed the eastern edge of the Midgewater Marshes (211).
You are only 0.379999999999995 miles from a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills.
You still have 230.38 miles to Rivendell.

And here I thought we were coming up on Weathertop..

Ary: WRONG!
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:46 PM   #1124
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow! I'm ahead of Saph!!! Too bad volleyball's over...my miles will abrupty stop!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

You have walked 150 miles.
You have passed the Great East Road west of Bree (144).
You are only 2 miles from Bree.
You still have 308 miles to Rivendell.

They climbed down and out of the dike and through a gap in the wall, and then Tom turned due north, for they had been bearing somewhat to the west. The land was now open and fairly level, and they quickened their pace, but the sun was already sinking low when at last they saw a line of tall trees ahead, and they knew that they had come back to the Road after many unexpected adventures. They galloped their ponies over the last furlongs, and halted under the long shadows of the trees. They were on the top of a sloping bank, and the Road, now dim as evening drew on, wound away below them. At this point it ran nearly from South-west to North-east, and on their right it fell quickly down into a wide hollow. It was rutted and bore many signs of the recent heavy rain; there were pools and pot-holes full of water. They rode down the bank and looked up and down. There was nothing to be seen. 'Well, here we are again at last!' said Frodo. 'I suppose we haven't lost more than two days by my short cut through the Forest! But perhaps the delay will prove useful - it may have put them off our trail.' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]
Old 10-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #1125
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

What's the sudden big deal about passing me? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] *confused*

**You have walked 136 miles.
You have passed the Barrow-Downs (132).
It is 8 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 322 miles to Rivendell. **

Saph: Okay, I'm getting creeped out now. Let's get outta here, huh? o.O

Merry: <all sarcastic-like>Oh, now you want to leave?

Saph: *squeaks* Yes, please...

Pippin: Oh stop it, Merry. She's right, let's hurry up.

Frodo: Let's get to gettin'!

<hurry towards the Road>

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-30-2003, 11:09 PM   #1126
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The weather has begun to deteriorate over the past few days, and it has become quite stormy and rainy. Gandalf has been sulking since he lost the 'navigator' argument with Aragorn, but I expect he'll get over it. As Elrond says, "he's wearing the same clothes to get glad in"...

--------------------

• But here I sit alone and think
    of days when grass was green,
    and earth was brown, and I was young:
    they might have never been.
    For they are past, for ever lost,
    and here the shadows lie
    deep upon my heavy heart,
    and hope and daylight die.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:26 PM   #1127
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Saph: You've always been ahead of me, but since I'm in Bree now, I'll probably be meeting you here very soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have walked 152 miles.
You have reached Bree (152).
It is 12 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 306 miles to Rivendell.

[ October 31, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]
Old 11-01-2003, 08:03 AM   #1128
Tefalathiel
Pile O'Bones

Tefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Rivendell...

No sunset has ever shone milder than watched from this valley. It takes a strong will to leave such blessed sights. Only the lights of Lorelindorenan can part my heart from this place...

There is only one thing left to say: a world without Tolkien wouldn't have been too worthy to live in!
Old 11-01-2003, 01:18 PM   #1129
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 243.96 miles.
You have passed a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills (228).
You are only 2.03999999999999 miles from the Weather Hills.
You still have 214.04 miles to Rivendell.

The hills drew nearer. They made an undulating ridge, often rising almost to a thousand feet, and here and there falling again to low clefts or passes leading into the eastern land beyond. Along the crest of the ridge the hobbits could see what looked to be the remains of green-grown walls and dikes, and in the clefts there still stood the ruins of old works of stone. By night they had reached the feet of the westward slopes, and there they camped. It was the night of the fifth of October, and they were six days out from Bree.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:29 PM   #1130
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 247.97 miles.
You have passed the Weather Hills (246).
It is 10.03 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 210.03 miles to Rivendell.

In the morning they found, for the first time since they had left the Chetwood, a track plain to see. They turned right and followed it southwards. It ran cunningly, taking a line that seemed chosen so as to keep as much hidden as possible from the view, both of the hill-tops above and of the flats to the west. It dived into dells, and hugged steep banks; and where it passed over flatter and more open ground on either side of it there were lines of large boulders and hewn stones that screened the travellers almost like a hedge.

Heh heh. Trick or Treating helped a LOT [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 05:40 PM   #1131
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Heh heh. Trick or Treating helped a LOT
Gee, Naz! You'll be caught up with me in no time! I've been a bit ill the last couple of days and I couldn't walk at all today, however, I did manage to walk on Saturday in full Frodo regalia! I had dressed up as Frodo for Halloween (from items already here in my hobbit hole, incidentally-no time to make a costume, really!) and I decided it would be awesome to do the daily walk as Mr. Frodo Baggins, complete with the One Ring on a chain around my neck! (My One Ring is my wedding ring, and it is the only piece of jewelry I wear (besides the chain), so, in a sense it really IS the One Ring-not evil though, but I won't give it up without a fight! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

So, I'm still South of the Great Road (290 miles), but trudging very slowly on...not as sick as Frodo was at this point, but still under the weather...ugh!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:47 PM   #1132
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 142 miles.
You have passed the Barrow-Downs (132).
You are only 2 miles from the Great East Road west of Bree.
You still have 316 miles to Rivendell. **

Saph: Yay! We're almost back to the road! You know what that means...

Hobbits: -,-;;; What?...

Saph: Time to drag! <drags hobbits toward road>

Wheee! I'm doin' so good!

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-03-2003, 10:02 PM   #1133
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

The cold and damp is taking its toll on the spirits of the Company. We travel in silence through the nights, and speak in low voices when camped. We have not had song nor jest in many days. We are slowly drawing near to the country of Hollin. Although the land is now empty and abandoned by all folk, 'twill be pleasant to travel for a while in lands where Elves once dwelt.

--------------------

• But still I sit and think of you;
    I see you far away
    Walking down the homely roads
    on a bright and windy day.
    It was merry then when I could run
    to answer to your call,
    could hear your voice or take your hand;
    but now the night must fall.
    And now beyond the world I sit,
    and know not where you lie!
    O master dear, will you not hear
    my voice before we die?
Old 11-04-2003, 07:09 PM   #1134
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 254.25 miles.
You are only 3.75 miles from the ancient fortress of Weathertop.
You still have 203.75 miles to Rivendell.

I'M GETTING TO WEATHERTOP!!! YESS!!!

Sapphire: START DRAGGIN EM! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] YOU CAN DOOO IIIT [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lyta: I really am catching up! Eheh. I'm hoppy^ ^;; *bounces*

Now, a question: my dad says that doing stuff like bouncing in place (like when I rushed upstairs just now to announce "I'm 3.75 miles from Weathertop!!") is cheating (to get miles). But me pedometer measures even if I bounce my leg..

So? Is it cheating or not? *worried look*

ganbatte, minnasan! (good luck, everybody- correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 11-04-2003, 11:34 PM   #1135
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

You have walked 384.6 miles.
You have found the three stone Trolls from Bilbo's adventure (384).

Phew.

Naz, I do think it's cheating: getting your pedometer to work whenever, but if you're doing stuff to loss weight, albeit for the sake pf good health, it ain't cheating.

I asked my bro about ganbatte and he says it's actually ganbattene...though we're all not sure... just helping [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:34 AM   #1136
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Alatįriėl, that's a lovely poem - who wrote it? It's quite obviously Sam speaking, but I'm quite sure Tolkien's not the author...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:02 AM   #1137
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Not so sure, Esty. Tolkien wrote a real heartbreaker that never made it into the Trilogy (or rather, was replaced by "In Western Lands Beneath the Sun" and that has the same feel to me.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:24 PM   #1138
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 144 miles.
You have reached the Great East Road west of Bree (144).
It is 8 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 314 miles to Rivendell.**

Saph: Yes! Open road! <takes off runnin'>

Hobbits: <being dragged> -,-;;;

Sam: Maybe she'll calm down once we get to Bree...

Merry: <rolls eyes> CHEAAW, right!

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #1139
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 257.60 miles.
You are only 0.399999999999977 miles from the ancient fortress of Weathertop.
You still have 200.4 miles to Rivendell.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:38 PM   #1140
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Alatįriėl, that's a lovely poem - who wrote it? It's quite obviously Sam speaking, but I'm quite sure Tolkien's not the author...
Quote:
Not so sure, Esty. Tolkien wrote a real heartbreaker that never made it into the Trilogy (or rather, was replaced by "In Western Lands Beneath the Sun" and that has the same feel to me.
Helen: You caught me! I've just finished reading The History of The Lord of the Rings. This is indeed the original version of Sam's song of despair/defiance in the Tower of Cirith Ungol. I tear up reading both, but I think I like this original version better. I doubt that it will happen, but I sure would like to have Sam sing this in RotK.

Our company has reached the fair land of Hollin at last. The rain has stopped and the clouds scattered. We enjoyed our breakfast this morning in the warmth of the sun. Caradhras looms ever closer on the horizon..with luck we will be able to pass over before the snows get too deep.

--------------------

They had been a fortnight on the way when the weather changed. The wind suddenly fell and then veered round to the south. The swift-flowing clouds lifted and melted away, and the sun came out, pale and bright. There came a cold clear dawn at the end of a long stumbling night-march. The travellers reached a low ridge crowned with ancient holly-trees whose grey-green trunks seemed to have been built out of the very stone of the hills. Their dark leaves shone and their berries glowed red in the light of the rising sun.

Away in the south Frodo could see the dim shapes of lofty mountains that seemed now to stand across the path that the Company was taking. At the left of this high range rose three peaks; the tallest and nearest stood up like a tooth tipped with snow; its great, bare, northern precipice was still largely in the shadow, but where the sunlight slanted upon it, it glowed red.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:39 PM   #1141
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 260.90 miles.
You have climbed the ancient fortess hill of Weathertop (258).
It is 3.10000000000002 miles to the next landmark. You still have 197.1 miles to Rivendell.

Standing upon the rim of the ruined circle, they saw all round below them a wide prospect, for the most pan of lands empty and featureless, except for patches of woodland away to the south, beyond which they caught here and there the glint of distant water. Beneath them on this southern side there ran like a ribbon the Old Road, coming out of the West and winding up and down, until it faded behind a ridge of dark land to the east. Nothing was moving on it. Following its line eastward with their eyes they saw the Mountains: the nearer foothills were brown and sombre; behind them stood taller shapes of grey, and behind those again were high white peaks glimmering among the clouds.

^ ^

So I'm a cheater?? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2003, 10:44 PM   #1142
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 148 miles.
You have passed the Great East Road west of Bree (144).
You are only 4 miles from Bree.
You still have 310 miles to Rivendell.**

Saph: We're gonna get there tomorrow, guys, I swear to Eru.

Frodo: Good. We need a break. <sorrowful puppy-dog eyes expression>

Saph: Sorry, that doesn't work on me.

Frodo: <pouts>

Pippin: Can we hurry anyway, though? I'm hungry...

Merry: Me too...

Saph: <suddenly alert> Of course we'll hurry! C'mon guys!!!

Frodo: <to self>I feel so neglected right now... <pout>

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-08-2003, 12:40 PM   #1143
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Sorry I haven't posted for so long. Flu. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I gotta go now, but I have walked 620 miles. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Fėa

[ November 08, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 02:05 PM   #1144
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The weather has remained clear, though cold, as we journey through Hollin. This morning we made camp in a sheltered hollow, and Gandalf announced that we would remain here for a day or two to rest up. However, later while I was on watch with Sam and Aragorn, a large flock of those nasty crebain flew over. Aragorn thought that they were searching for us. Gandalf disagreed, which started another huge argument between those two. **bicker bicker bicker** Aragorn won this one as well, so we will be moving on again tonight. Needless to say, this made Gandalf really grumpy, so Pippin gave him some extra pipeweed. "Thank you, Pippin!!"

--------------------

..said Gandalf.."I think we will rest here, not only today but tonight as well"...
That morning they lit a fire in a deep hollow shrouded by great bushes of holly, and their supper-breakfast was merrier than it had been since they set out...It was Sam's turn that day to take the first watch, but Aragorn joined him...Away in the South a dark patch appeared, and grew, and drove north like flying smoke in the wind...before long Sam could see for himself what was approaching. Flocks of birds, flying at great speed, were wheeling and circling, and traversing all the land as if they were searching for something; and they were steadily drawing nearer...Sam thought they were a kind of crow of large size...they passed overhead, in so dense a throng that their shadow followed them darkly over the ground below..Not until they had dwindled into the distance..would Aragorn rise. Then he sprang up and went and wakened Gandalf.

"Regiments of black crows..have passed over Hollin...they are crebain out of Fangorn and Dunland..I think they are spying out the land..I think we ought to move again this evening. Hollin is..being watched."
Old 11-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #1145
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The trees are bare; so are the bones of the land. The leaves rustle underfoot. The day is bright even in the forest. Under the moon and stars, the night shimmers and the trails into the woods gleam softly.

Seen through a mile or so of tangled silver branches, the horizon beckons. I wonder about the wild lands, and what lies beyond the old well-trodden paths...
Old 11-08-2003, 05:53 PM   #1146
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You have walked 438 miles.
You have reached the Ford of Bruinen! (436)
You have only 20 miles to Rivendell.

Twenty more miles till Rivendell...it feels like we'll Never get there! But good job, everyone!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 05:56 PM   #1147
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 152 miles.
You have reached Bree (152).
It is 12 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 306 miles to Rivendell.**

*wheeeee!!!* ^ ^

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-09-2003, 07:48 PM   #1148
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 268.84 miles.
You have crossed the Great Road and headed south (264).
It is 3.16000000000003 miles to the next landmark. You still have 189.16 miles to Rivendell.

They made their way slowly and cautiously round the south-western slopes of the hill, and came in a little while to the edge of the Road. There was no sign of the Riders. But even as they were hurrying across they heard far away two cries: a cold voice calling and a cold voice answering. Trembling they sprang forward, and made for the thickets that lay ahead.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #1149
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

There's nothing like a Nazgul on your tail to make you get up and go, even when you don't feel much like it! Still South of the Road at 309 miles...good show Arwen Baggins for keeping it up even through illness! Ugh! Ain't it lovely? NOT! Well, you're so far ahead of me, I'll have to communicate by telepathy! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And I meant to compliment you on your interesting avatar, Sapphire Flame, aka Obvious Pippin Fancier! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . mark 12_30, your description fits a lot of scenery I've seen on my walks...lovely! The bareness of the trees begins to uncover much that was hidden...Makes me want to start walking at night again, but its too bleepin' cold, and I've got what I hope is only a bleepin' cold!

Oh, and good show, Horse Maiden! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta (trudging slowly but enjoying the seasonal images as they pass...)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 11-10-2003, 02:01 PM   #1150
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
And I meant to compliment you on your interesting avatar, Sapphire Flame, aka Obvious Pippin Fancier! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Thanks, Lyta! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

**You have walked 153 miles.
You have passed Bree (152).
It is 11 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 305 miles to Rivendell.**

Saph: Okay, Aragorn, you're in charge now. Where are we headed?

Sam: <mutters to Aragorn> Don't believe her. She'll start dragging you as well. She learned from Naz...

Aragorn: *squeak* O.O;;

Saph: <grins innocently> [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #1151
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 278.36 miles.
You are deep in the wild south of the Great Road (272).
It is 7.63999999999999 miles to the next landmark. You still have 179.64 miles to Rivendell.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:51 PM   #1152
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
The trees are bare; so are the bones of the land. The leaves rustle underfoot. The day is bright even in the forest. Under the moon and stars, the night shimmers and the trails into the woods gleam softly.

Seen through a mile or so of tangled silver branches, the horizon beckons. I wonder about the wild lands, and what lies beyond the old well-trodden paths...
Helen: What beautiful imagery! It makes me wish I were back in the Misty Mountains, or up in your 'neck of the woods' (so to speak). How wonderful to have beautiful forests to hike in each day...

Each morning as we make camp, Caradhras looms ever closer upon the horizon until it seems to fill all the sky. The summit is blanketed in white, but we still hope to traverse the Pass in safety. 'Tis a shame that the rest of the Fellowship do not share our Elvish ability to walk upon the snow's surface. I'm glad Sam remembered to pack a couple of broad-bladed shovels among all that paraphernalia currently being carried by Bill. I think we're going to need it..

--------------------

All that day the Company remained in hiding. The dark birds passed over now and again; but as the westering Sun grew red they disappeared southwards. At dusk the Company set out, and turning now half east they steered their course towards Caradhras, which far away still glowed faintly red in the last light of the vanished Sun. One by one white stars sprang forth as the sky faded.

Guided by Aragorn they struck a good path. It looked to Frodo like the remains of an ancient road, that had once been broad and well planned, from Hollin to the mountain-pass. The Moon, now at the full, rose over the mountains, and cast a pale light in which the shadows of stones were black. Many of them looked to have been worked by hands, though now they lay tumbled and ruinous in a bleak, barren land...

The next morning dawned even brighter than before. But the air was chill again; already the wind was turning back towards the east. For two more nights they marched on, climbing steadily but ever more slowly as their road wound up into the hills, and the mountains towered up, nearer and nearer. On the third morning Caradhras rose before them, a mighty peak, tipped with snow like silver, but with sheer naked sides, dull red as if stained with blood.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #1153
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 281.59 miles.
It is 4.41000000000003 miles to the next landmark. You still have 176.41 miles to Rivendell.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:42 PM   #1154
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 285.73 miles.
It is 0.269999999999982 miles to the next landmark. You still have 172.27 miles to Rivendell.

Ooh! So close, & yet... fo far... *reaches* Ni...!

Hobbits & Ary: O_o;;;...

Naz: ^ ^ [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 03:51 PM   #1155
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 157.3 miles.
It is 6.7 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 300.7 miles to Rivendell.**

*squeeeee!* Only almost 300 miles left! ^^

Merry: What? You think that's good?

Saph: Good point. I'll kelebrate when we're halfway. ^^;;;

Aragorn & Hobbits: *roll eyes* [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-13-2003, 05:19 PM   #1156
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 287.91 miles.
You are still south of the Road (286).
It is 12.09 miles to the next landmark. You still have 170.09 miles to Rivendell.

They dreaded the dark hours, and kept watch in pairs by night, expecting at any time to see black shapes stalking in the grey night, dimly lit by the cloud-veiled moon; but they saw nothing, and heard no sound but the sigh of withered leaves and grass.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:16 PM   #1157
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 159 miles.
You are only 5 miles from Chetwood Forest.
You still have 299 miles to Rivendell.**

Yes, only five miles to the forest! *squeeee!* <takes off runnin', dragging Strider and the hobbits behind her>

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-14-2003, 05:25 PM   #1158
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

You have walked 293.53 miles.
You are still south of the Road (286).
It is 6.47000000000003 miles to the next landmark. You still have 164.47 miles to Rivendell.

Go Sapphire! Go everybody! (sorry, I'm bad at remembering names... -///-;; )
Old 11-15-2003, 02:42 PM   #1159
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

We passed through the ruined lands and finally reached the foot of Caradhras. When we began the climb, we each carried a bundle of firewood, as Aragorn estimated that it would take at least two nights to traverse the Pass. However, late in the night of our first march we encountered a fierce snowstorm, and were forced to halt for the remainder of the night. When day dawned, it became clear that we could go no higher, as the snow was already much too deep for the rest of the Fellowship. After much debate over alternate routes, it has been decided to pass through the Mines of Moria. Gandalf is quite pleased. I wonder if he caused the blizzard...

--------------------
Frodo felt a soft touch on his face. He put out his arm and saw the dim white flakes of snow settling on his sleeve.

..."I don't like this at all," panted Sam just behind. "Snow's all right on a fine morning, but I like to be in bed while it's falling. I wish this lot would go off to Hobbiton! Folk might welcome it there."

...Gandalf halted. Snow was thick on his hood and shoulders..."This is what I feared," he said. "What do you say now, Aragorn?"

"That I feared it too," Aragorn answered, "but less than other things."

...Very slowly a dim light began to grow. At last the snow stopped altogether...Gimli looked up and shook his head. "Caradhras has not forgiven us," he said. "He has more snow yet to fling at us, if we go on. The sooner we go back and down the better."

...A cold wind flowed down behind them, as they turned their backs on the Redhorn Gate, and stumbled wearily down the slope. Caradhras had defeated them.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:46 PM   #1160
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

334 miles...STILL South of the Road...trying to stay ahead of the Nazgul, but it is difficult!
Quote:
After much debate over alternate routes, it has been decided to pass through the Mines of Moria. Gandalf is quite pleased. I wonder if he caused the blizzard...
It is always interesting how Caradhras itself is personified in this part...a force older than Gandalf, Saruman, or Sauron that has its own agenda. Good luck in Moria, Alatariėl! (sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the alt code for the accented a! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Cheers,
Lyta