The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree What Happened to Gallant Captain Faramir? - Awesome Article

A couple of disclaimers to begin with. First off, I know the topic of Film Faramir has been hashed and rehashed numerous times in this forum. I can hear your gasps. Is it my intention to throw fuel on a dying fire, which some would call dead? Well, as a matter of fact, it is.

Second, this is a cool article which I did not write. Maybe that accounts for some of the coolness. It's mother site is http://www.istad.org/tolkien/index.html and it's got some great articles with insights into the books and films. I would encourage you to check it out if you, like me, absolutely eat up stuff like that. There's three separate Legolas articles (one on book Leggy and two on movie Leggy) that are particularly interesting.

So, without further ado, I present to you:

Whatever Happened to Gallant Captain Faramir?
By a Tolkien Enthusiast
http://www.istad.org/tolkien/faramir.html

Faramir is one of the noblest, finest, and bravest characters in Tolkien, and for many people, the Faramir of Jackson's TTT is the biggest mistake of the films. He seems cold, cruel, greedy, and far less noble than Boromir in FOTR.

I was one of many longtime Tolkien-fans who had trouble understanding how Jackson could possibly do this to one of my heroes. However, after taking into consideration the different way events unfold in the movie, and what the movie-Faramir learns when, I have some answers, and have found he is still (mostly) Faramir. Whether or not those changes are justified is fodder for a very heated discussion, but let me give you my take on...

What Happened To Gallant Captain Faramir?
The character of Faramir in Peter Jackson's TTT

In short, movie-Faramir does not get enough information, early on, to have any reason to trust the hobbits, and in fact gets a lot of hints that he should not. Let's follow this from his perspective.

I. The Hobbits Discovered

Book: Frodo and Sam are found cooking rabbit, camping out, and apparently oblivious to the activities of Faramir's company.

Movie: Frodo and Sam are found spying on Faramir's company in the middle of the battle.

II. Introductions

Book: Frodo immediately tells Faramir who he is, where he came from, and quotes two lines from the "sword that was broken" prophecy as part of his introduction, which Faramir accepts, saying, "it is some token of your truth that you know them." Frodo admits Isildur's bane is part of his errand, reveals that the sword that was broken is coming to serve Gondor, says he would like to serve Gondor himself "if my errand permitted it," and wishes Faramir good luck on their ambush, impressing Faramir with his courteous speech.

Movie: First we get a Middle Earth Geography 101 lesson, in which Faramir learns that Rohan's under attack and can't aid Gondor, Mordor's gathering yet more armies, and, as he says, "The fight will come to men on both fronts. Gondor is weak. Sauron will strike us soon. And he will strike hard. He knows now we do not have the strength to repel him." After this grim realization, he turns to ask the "spies" about themselves. Frodo and Sam refuse to tell Faramir anything, until prodded, and then they are evasive and tightlipped.

III. Where's your third companion?

Book: Frodo says he's a "chance companion" they found on the road, makes it clear he's got misgivings, but begs Faramir to "bring him to us" rather than slay him, saying he's a "wretched gangrel creature... under my care for a while."

Movie: Frodo lies to Faramir almost the moment Faramir meets him, claiming there's no third member of their party. Sam's expression shows Frodo is lying. So Faramir's first information about Frodo in Sam in the movie is that they are hiding something.

IV. Boromir

Book: Frodo tells about Boromir before they get to Henneth Annun, and in fact answers all of Faramir's questions as much as he possibly can, stating there's some things he can't answer because he's under oath by the Council of Elrond (at which Boromir was present). When Faramir describes seeing Boromir in the boat, Frodo is shocked, recognizing the belt Boromir picked up in Lórien: again another sign of truthfulness. Frodo is crushed, saying he fears his kinsman and friends are dead, with which Faramir can sympathize (since he has already been given enough to believe Frodo is being honest with him).

Movie: Frodo mentions Boromir was in their party, but when Faramir reveals his brother's death, Frodo stammers: "Dead? How?" Someone with something to hide might well feign ignorance in exactly that manner. Perhaps in the EE we'll see more, but as it stands, Frodo shows no sadness for Boromir's death, and if anything he and Sam recoil from Faramir when they learn he's Boromir's brother. The revelation sows more mistrust, rather than mutual sympathy.

The movie's Faramir is clearly mourning his brother's loss intensely; he seems almost shellshocked. The scene ends with a close-up of his face, and he looks numb. That is not the Faramir of the books, but a somewhat younger one, stricken with sorrow and beginning to lose hope much earlier than in the novels (much like Frodo succombing to the Ring earlier).

V. Catching Gollum

Book: Frodo had told Faramir about Gollum earlier, and begged him to be spared, so Faramir breaks his own rules (he should kill Gollum) and asks Frodo to fetch him. At this point, Faramir and Frodo have had a long full day of talking together about everything from their friendship with Gandalf to elves, and Faramir already has promised to help Frodo with his errand: he's just trying to reconcile his marching orders with Frodo's. They have come to like and respect one another. "The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards," Faramir says, when complimented.

So when Gollum shows up, Faramir does Frodo's bidding and captures the creature, interviews it mainly to test whether it's really serving Frodo or planning to hurt him.

Movie: All Faramir knows is that Frodo's hiding something and in particular trying to conceal Gollum's identity. Faramir has orders to kill anything that comes near the pool, but instead of doing that, he sees Gollum as his only opportunity to get concrete information. So he tests Frodo. He's still trying to understand Frodo, and seeing how Frodo treats this wretched creature is as much of a lab experiment as anything, trying to work out Frodo's motives and character.

VI. Learning About the Ring

Book: Frodo had as much as told Faramir he had Isildur's Bane the moment they met, and that he couldn't explain everything because he was under oath— an oath he had given to Boromir as much as anyone else at the counsel. After they had become friends, Sam accidentally blurted out that it was the Ring which Boromir wanted.

Movie: Frodo and Sam have concealed their errand. Faramir learns about the Ring first from Gollum. We don't know everything he heard or learned by reading Gollum's mind, but this is NOT the best way for Faramir to learn about what Frodo is carrying.

V. Deciding What to Do About It

Book: Faramir realizes immediately from Sam's words that his brother tried to kill Frodo over it, and even so for a moment the Ring has him in its power before he comes to his senses, grieving, and offers to help the hobbits. He already knows the Ring has destroyed his brother, so needs no proof to see its peril. And he had sworn a vow not to take it.

Movie: Faramir confronts Frodo with his discovery, and the Ring attempts to control Faramir. Faramir snaps out of it, but instead of giving any coherent answer, Frodo goes insane and starts trying to crawl through the walls. Sam begs for Faramir to have a little pity, and finally reveals their errand, to destroy the Ring.

But the movie's Faramir has come by a very different route to that vital bit of information. So far, the hobbits have only admitted truths when pressed very hard, when they're trying to wheedle their way to freedom; they've also lied to him. And Frodo is not in control of himself, clearly.

Just a little while before this, Faramir had concluded during the Geography Lesson that Gondor, the world of Men, and probably all of Middle Earth are doomed. The Ring tips the scales. Does he trust Frodo to succeed in his errand? Or does he see the Ring falling into his hands as a last chance, the only weapon that might possibly save his people, since they have no other hope at this point?

So far, Frodo has not done much to inspire confidence in him.

On the other side of the equation, Faramir is a Captain of Gondor, under orders to apprehend tresspassers and spies. He is presently sending his men into no-win situations, fighting a war they simply can't win. How can he expect them to obey the chain of command when he defies standing orders whenever it suits him?

His decision is logical. And it's actually fair for Frodo's sake too, since as far as Faramir knows, if Gondor falls (which it certainly will), "poor Mr. Frodo" will be one of countless victims once Gondor's defense of Middle Earth is eliminated.

VI. To Osgiliath

Book: They part ways, then Faramir goes back to Osgiliath.

Movie: Faramir hasn't gotten reason enough to trust Frodo, so he takes him to Osgiliath.

VII. The Turning Point

Now the movie charts its own course. Frodo hysterically begs Faramir to let him go, claiming the Ring will destroy Gondor, but he simply hasn't got much clout based on his actions so far. What happens to change Faramir's mind?

Sam finally blurts out a bit more information: that the Ring drove Boromir mad and Boromir tried to kill Frodo. Again, not the best way for Faramir to learn the news. Sam was foolish but more tactful in the book. However, before Faramir can even react to this shocking revelation, the Nazgûl arrives. Faramir quickly orders Frodo to stay out of sight for his own protection and rushes to deal with the problem.

Frodo, unfortunately, disobeys, and nearly betrays them all by giving in to the Ringwraith's summons. Only Sam prevents him (and Faramir saves him too, by shooting the Ringwraith's steed; if Faramir had run away with the other men the story would've been over). After this, Frodo nearly kills Sam, but Sam manages to snap him back to reality. Frodo starts weeping, horrified at what the Ring nearly made him do, and he says, "I can't do this." Sam has to give him a pep talk, at the end of which Frodo shakily agrees they've got to keep trying for the sake of others.

Now Faramir has seen evidence that Frodo and Sam are good-natured and truthful at heart, but that the Ring is affecting Frodo's mind, so he can believe the shocking news he's just received that such madness killed his brother. Faramir has finally discovered Frodo's true character and motives. He could have decided Frodo's actions with the Ringwraith are yet more evidence that the hobbit is incapable of finishing his task. Surprisingly, he does not. He says:

"At last we understand one another."

Frodo and Sam have been assuming he's just like Boromir, which he's not. He's more of a thinker and a philosopher. Currently, he's a very depressed young man, dealing with his brother's death and the weight of responsibility for Gondor's safety and by extension all that of Middle Earth. Faramir knows that the world is depending on him, but that he does not have the strength or resources to succeed. He, also, "cannot do this". Yet he is persisting in his mission anyway, knowing the odds to be hopeless. Frodo is evidently doing much the same thing, for the same reasons. And both of them are mourning the death of a loved one: Frodo in the movie is desperately shaken by the loss of his father figure, Gandalf, and Faramir has lost the brother he loved and admired so much.

So Faramir decides to sacrifice his own life on the slim chance that Frodo can succeed where he can't. "Then my life is forfeit." Noble and soft-spoken and brave: that's exactly what we'd expect of book-Faramir (who, incidentally, is not under a death sentence: he just said he would deserve to die if he made a decision that proved ill for Gondor). When the movie characters finally part ways, Frodo is going to Mount Doom with a duty he's been given by his superiors which — as Galadriel tells Elrond — he knows will claim his life. Faramir is going back to Minas Tirith with a death sentence stapled to his forehead.

They do understand one another. For they are the same.

And perhaps Faramir sees in Sam, who has more hope than they do, a little of the brother he misses so much.

Conclusion
If anything, lovers of Faramir should object more strongly to the changes in Frodo and Sam than in Faramir. Because of their deceptiveness, and the greatly enhanced power of the Ring to make Frodo lose his grip on reality, Faramir in the movie could not in good conscience let them go. But in the end he decides to risk far more than his book-counterpart for their sake, having reached that point where "hope and despair are akin."

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

OK, I decided to put my comments in a separate post, in order to avoid lengthening the original post even further.

I think this article rocks, personally. I'm sure I'll get somebody coming in here and pointing out where it falls short, but as far as I can see, it's pretty solid. It presses the point: It wasn't Faramir who was changed as much as Frodo and Sam, especially Frodo. And of course, Faramir DID experience change, just not nearly as much as we might surmise at first, or even fifth, glance.

OK, I guess that's about all I've got to say. So, what do my fellow Downers think? Agree? Disagree? I know you're not going to throw roses at my feet, and I don't want you to, but I thought this article provided a fresh perspective to an ageold debate.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Old 12-27-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

It is a wonderful article there Elladan and I can see the point being argued.

I mean if we consider it in Faramir's mind, why let go two people who have been lying and trying to squirm their way out of a capture? There is a major difference between their interactions, Frodo in the books is very upfront and straight. They still conceal things, but they still remain truthful, declaring it as an "Oath taken at the Council of Elrond." Despite this, they are straight and upfront with Faramir in the books. Movies there's a clear difference between their interactions.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
Caunwaithon
Pile O'Bones

Caunwaithon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Bravo!

I'd like to thank you for giving me this article, and thank the person who wrote this.

Faramir was my favorite gondorian "Hero". I always thought he was more "lordly" than many of the other characters portrayed for gondor, and he had less greed. The movie Faramir had these qualities, but he was more of a sneaky, trusts-no one Faramir, not our friendly and kingly Faramir of the books.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

THAT. WAS. AWESOME.
Elladan, you are my hero, especially b/c Faramir was one of my two fave characters (he and Eowyn). Not only does the article explain Faramir's behavior, but it definitely explains the difference between the sharp, suspicious Faramir in TTT and the gentle, desperate Faramir in ROTK.
Silly Sam & Frodo, spoiling a perfectly good Faramir.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know.. while it's a very well written article, it reminds me of the biggest problem I had reading Hamlet.... half of the things the teacher said that the text meant just weren't there!

Of course, if you spend a couple hundred years analyzing a play, you are bound to find some things the author never meant to put in...

And I think it's more of the same here. While it brings up some good points, I'm not sure whoever wrote the screenplay for LoTR had the 'true' (as in book) Faramir in mind and gauged his reactions with regards to what he would have done... the fact that the movie Frodo and Sam behaved in a way that might have made the 'true' Faramir hesitate and act as he did in the movie does not mean that he would have. As a matter of fact, I'd like to think he would have still acted lordly and smooth rather than hesitantly and kinda cheap.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree

I think what the article does is explore how the ruination of Faramir was not limited to just that one character. It was a group effort between an altered Sam, Frodo, and Faramir. He's still not the book character.

I use the word "ruination" but I actually like movie Faramir for what he is -- incrediably good looking. Oh wait, ummm, forget that part. What I meant to say is that the movie Faramir grew on me after I was able to view the Extended TTT, and then RotK. He's still not book Faramir, but I had sympathy for him and he was clearly not a bad guy. Weaker and less wise than book Faramir, needing to learn things that book Faramir already knew, but when you think about it, far more in keeping with the other movie versions of the characters than book Faramir would have been. Good old book Faramir might have been out of place trying to interact with the Frodo and Sam of the movie. As the article points out. But I do think it's a case of three altered characters rather than two altered characters and one unaltered character with altered reactions.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I think the article recognizes that, Diamond. It refers to Faramir as being a "younger" Faramir, with more yet to learn.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree

It does. But considering this quote:

Quote:
However, after taking into consideration the different way events unfold in the movie, and what the movie-Faramir learns when, I have some answers, and have found he is still (mostly) Faramir.
I'm don't think he's "still (mostly) Faramir." That's what I disagree with.

I rewatched TTT last night because this thread got me to thinking of it, and with it now fresh in my mind, what seems the most incongruous about the whole thing, even the EE, is when Faramir sees just how much Frodo has lost it, that's what prompts him to let Frodo waltz into Mordor with it.

Now one could say that, along with the information about Boromir, is what makes him realize how dangerous it is and that it must be destroyed. But what on earth makes him think Frodo can do it, I don't know. In the book Faramir had respect for Frodo, there's really nothing to respect about movie Frodo (from what Faramir's seen of him) and so you're left to wonder why Faramir developes confidence in him only after witnessing the worst display of Ring-driven stupidity Frodo has exhibited to date. The answer is that, well, the story has to get back on track sooner or later. So when Jackson tries to end the totally altered Faramir-plotline the same way as the book, the two versions just don't match up right. So it doesn't feel like movie Faramir has reached the point in his character arc where he has grown into book Faramir, it really just seems like he's gotten sick of the whole thing, or at least gotten sick of playing the foil. So instead of being "mostly Faramir" or a "younger Faramir" he's just a mainly different character with some similarities.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
mlwhipple

In the book it took many pages of dialogue between Frodo and Faramir to understand one another. I think it would take 20 minutes of talking to do the book version.
Movie Faramir is just a plot device/obstacle for Frodo and Sam. I do think that they could have handle his change of heart better.

They were working on a two film version for Miramax then New Line want three. Does anyone know if Faramir was going to be in the two film version?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
the main thing for me that I can find no excuse for in faramir is why they didn't show him as the msater interogator he is from the books. He winds and turns and finally gets the informatilon regarding the Ring out of Sam. In the film, he (off screen) forces this info out of Gollum. Maybe they did this to give Gollum ANOTHER reason to hate his master more so and set up the confrontation with Shelob. But I don't recall hearing this in the commentaries. (Just thought of that reason as I was typing!!!!)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Well, Essex, I agree that Faramir is definitely a master interrogator in the books, and that that aspect of his character has been removed in the films, but I wouldn't say that's his defining characteristic. To me, what defines Faramir is his wisdom, humility, love for Gondor, and discernment. And maybe his valor in battle as well.

Some of that has been well-portrayed in the movie, some of it hasn't.

Let me digress for a moment and reply to several of the last few posts: The writer of the article is not trying to say that Faramir has survived intact in the book-to-film translation. It is trying to say that he is closer to the book than a lot of people think, although he certainly has undergone change. I would, however, agree with Diamond18 that Faramir's 180-turn at the end of TTT is at least slightly implausible. As you say, it basically results from PJ trying to make the whole Ringbearer story arc more exciting, and then having to make sure it ends the same way as the book does. Probably could have been done a little better, but I'll take it, and I'll take Faramir.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
mlwhipple

I think this article was written before TTEE and ROTK. It would be interesting to see updated version that included added scenes.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Great article, thanks for posting! Faramir is my favorite Gondorian character, and I now understand the changes made to the character for the film better.
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think much of the problem stemmed from PB&J's recasting the Denethor-and-sons relationship in terms of gross simplification and Hollywood cliche, resulting in a browbeaten, weak Faramir.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #16
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18 View Post
It Now one could say that, along with the information about Boromir, is what makes him realize how dangerous it is and that it must be destroyed. But what on earth makes him think Frodo can do it, I don't know. In the book Faramir had respect for Frodo, there's really nothing to respect about movie Frodo (from what Faramir's seen of him) and so you're left to wonder why Faramir developes confidence in him only after witnessing the worst display of Ring-driven stupidity Frodo has exhibited to date. The answer is that, well, the story has to get back on track sooner or later. So when Jackson tries to end the totally altered Faramir-plotline the same way as the book, the two versions just don't match up right. So it doesn't feel like movie Faramir has reached the point in his character arc where he has grown into book Faramir, it really just seems like he's gotten sick of the whole thing, or at least gotten sick of playing the foil. So instead of being "mostly Faramir" or a "younger Faramir" he's just a mainly different character with some similarities.
Agreed.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #17
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Great article, which only further substantiates my complaint with Jackson and Crew: there was NO NEED to change the CHARACTER of anyone in the movie from how they were portrayed in the book. If he had followed this simple rule there would not be the complaints people still have today.

I was watching RotK with my son today, someone who has never read the books. I was discussing this very thing. I do not mind seeing the winged Nazgul have their steeds swoop down and scoop up men and horses and drop them. That is not in the book, but it is not a change of character.

I don't mind seeing and hearing Gimli yell out "21, 22, 23!" as he kills the enemy because we know he kept count in the book. What I do object to is making Gimli into a slob who burps and passes gas and laughs about it.

There was no reason whatsoever to have Gandalf angry or disgusted with Pippin's decision to offer his sword to Denethor. In the book, Gandalf was delighted by what Pippin did, but in the movie it just became another excuse to have Gandalf beat up someone with his staff as he hits Pippin and tells him in disgusted tones, "Get up!" Once again, a totally unnecessary character change is done that serves no real purpose other than to make Gandalf less likeable to the viewing audience!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
I like both Faramirs alot. What I can't understand is why Faramir was beating on Smeagol its just turned him into Gollum again
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote