The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Speculation: Hobbit Oscar awards

Just a bit of wild speculation (pre seeing anything but the promo), what Oscars might TH win? Of PJ's LotR I think FotR was the best and I would have put it second only to Chicago that year. Ian Mckellan (as Gandalf the Gray) arguably should
have got best supporting actor---so I'll say he could get one for his prequel
appearance, and the Academy does frequently do "make'up' awards, although Peter O'Toole is still waiting for his Oscar. The orgy of Oscars for RotK I think were generally unmerited, again, an Oscar make up for previous slights.

These seem possible:

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Best Adapted Screenplay---does this count for an adapted novel?

Best Cinematography-quite possible

Best Costume Design---perhaps, depends on competition

Best Director (no comment )

Best Original Song---Is Enya available?

Best Picture

Best Visual Effects---have to see how they handle Smaug, Beorn, and the
Battle of 5 Armies-although knowing PJ it will probably be over the top.
Oh, and the White Council attacking Barad-dur,presumably the
conclusion to Part I.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Isn't this a bit premature? I must say that I can't quite get my head round a installment getting an award for best adaptation or picture- more so even with the hobbit which is one short novel than the three volume LOTR. I just feel to get best picture award it would have to stand up alone against what may be very strong competition.

Seems to me too that a lot of the film awards are often about "Buggin's turn" rather than pure merit and also fashion, who is flavour of the month. Also since hte hobbit has been styled to fit with the LOTR films is it going to be different enough to deserve Oscars for work that was effectively largely done for a different set of films? We know what Weta can do and the costume designers - and for me they were the highlight of the films. Much of the sets are going to be much the same for the first film at least. My guess is that they may have a better chance with the acting honours especially since there is a much clearer defined leading role this time.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Maybe it will win in the Most Corrupted Screenplay category.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Forlong the Fat
Pile O'Bones

Forlong the Fat has just left Hobbiton.
I'll be surprised if it gets consideration for any but the secondary awards (special effects, cinematography, score, etc.). I think the Academy will have a "been there done that" attitude to these movies. And I doubt the movies will do anything to warrant consideration for another major award--I'm looking forward to them, but in many ways they will tread the same ground as the LOTR movies (which were, btw, based on much meatier subject matter).
Forlong the Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It will be awarded Best Foreign Language Film. For th'elvish, y'know.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
*is handed envelope*

*trips over hem of evening dress but recovers*

And the winner for cleverest post goes to . . .

*gasp! a tie*

Morthoron and Galadriel55