Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #401
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm quite agreeable to the 'no particular order' strategy. Let the chaos ensue. I'm rather taken with the idea of Muriel being mistaken for Linduial. What about other mistaken identities? Anything else possible along those lines? Is there any way that the four different groups of Eodwine's patrol could mis-perceive something such that it seems like there are more men allied with Sorn than there really are? For example, maybe Deren's men hear Thornden's men on the other side of a wall and assume that they're Sorn's men, and start up some "friendly fire"?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:52 AM   #402
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Changes made, Jenny

As far as Sorn and Gurth, details are being worked out. But it is the plan for the meeting to be hid end.

I will try to draw it out as much as seems right, to allow Lin's escape. If Sorn can help the diversion of the rescue party in any way (which may be doubtful as he has he hands full...um...dying ) please let me know.

- Tara
Old 10-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #403
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Mistaken identities...

If Garstan keeps up his grin and bear it attitude, he might make himself worn out enough for Eodwine to force a halt. Would it work for Thornden's party to pick up a trail leading to Eodwine and Garstan in a safely hidden spot to rest?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #404
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Mistaken identities...

If Garstan keeps up his grin and bear it attitude, he might make himself worn out enough for Eodwine to force a halt. Would it work for Thornden's party to pick up a trail leading to Eodwine and Garstan in a safely hidden spot to rest?
And have him think it's Sorn, possibly? Great scot! That would waste a great deal of time, no doubt. . .

But so would getting Murial (or whatever her name is) mixed up for Lin by Deren.

-- Folwren
Old 10-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #405
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think it would be great fun to do both! Let the chaos begin!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #406
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I left the end of my post a little ambiguous: Jenny, if there's anything you want Linduial to say in response, go ahead, and you can send Scyld on his way; otherwise, if anyone wants their character to spot Scyld, have at it; if not, he'll uneventfully head around to let Lin out.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #407
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I'm find with letting the chaos begin, but I kind of unsure how to go about it.

I want to make a post for Deren first. Our idea with him is that he mistakes Murial for Lin. My question is, how does he manage to do that? First, let me get the facts straight:

Scyld and Lin agree to leave together.
Scyld lets Lin out of the cage.
He hears someone enter the house (is it Osfrid or Deren and his three men?)
Scyld puts Lin into the cellar and orders her to lock the door.

And that's where we are.

Should the person entering the house be Osfrid after all? Perhaps he could run down the stairs and see that Lin is gone. Maybe he thinks Sorn took her someplace and he decides to buy Sorn some time, and runs back upstairs and tells his girl friend lady to pretend to be Lin? If it's not planned that Muriel plays the part of Lin, I can't see Deren being fooled by her. For one thing, her normal way of speaking, as far as I can remember, is not very proper or high-bred, and for another thing, if some strange soldiers come in and mistake her for Lin and start to remove her, she's going to protest. Any woman would.

So, what do you all think? Is Alcarillo around to write and put in his thoughts?

As for Thornden, I think I'll wait on him until Elempi or Celuien post again to figure out where they are and what they're doing for certain. Unless, of course, someone thinks I should not wait. . .

-- Folwren
Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #408
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
The cage is in the cellar, Foley. Therefore Osfrid can't run down the stairs, because Lin has locked the door. He could try, I suppose, but he'd get a headache because of the door.

Teehehehee...
Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #409
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I'll post next for the Garstan confusion. Should be up by the end of the day.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #410
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Where's Alcarillo? Our plans figure his characters heavily, but we haven't heard from him in a bit.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #411
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Here's a weird notion: Muriel has fantasies about being of higher station than she is. She's in her room playing at being Linduial, small mirror in hand, acting the royal. Deren, who has never seen Linduial before (am I right on that?), takes immeidate action upon finding her play-acting, and her protests get abruptly ended with a hand over the mouth. Deren and/or his men figure that she's probably hysterical from her ordeal and don't want her screaming and drawing attention. Plausible?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 AM   #412
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

What we've heard of Muriel from Alcarillo figures into that notion. I'm inclined to like it. I also like that it implies that Deren and the Rohirrim carry similar ideas about how a Gondorian lady is like to act in crisis to Scyld's and Sorn's: panicked, haughty, histerical. Not fierce like Eowyn, not by any stretch of the imagination.

It could further this theme we've got going of tension between the Rohirrim and Gondorians.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:18 AM   #413
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hahahaha! This is hilarious!

I can do that, Elempi.

Alright, so if the cellar (sorry about the confusion, didn't picture it right) is locked and no one can enter, what's Osfrid going to be doing? Does Deren take Muriel out and then look for Osfrid? Does Osfrid hide somewhere and not even worry about Lin?

Deren's never seen Lin, by the way.

I think that's all my questions for now. ..

-- Folwren
Old 10-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #414
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

The one entering was intended as Osfrid.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #415
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
The one entering was intended as Osfrid.
That's what I thought. How about this? Osfrid is trying to reach the room Muriel's in, but Deren and company get to him before he can get there, and they assume (wrongly) that he's trying to get to Linduial to keep her from them, and they refuse to listen to any attempts at explanation and bind and gag him, or even knock him out, and then charge into Muriel's room and see her acting like Linduial. Does that work?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 AM   #416
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I think it sounds lovely. Where's Alcarillo?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #417
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alcarillo last visited the down's Sept. 9, poor chap.

-- Foley
Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #418
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I fear we must continue to use Osfrid as a non-player character. Bummer.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #419
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Right. Well, I've got a couple posts due, I see. Expect at least one this afternoon.

-- Folwren
Old 10-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #420
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I've sent him a PM, but for now carry his players along as best you may. Luckily, his earlier posts left us great insight into his characters and their relationship, which should help us a lot to keep things smooth and continuous.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #421
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh golly! This is turning out perfectly!! Murial's character falls right in line for the part she's playing now!

Post will be up shortly, I imagine. You'll have to tell me how I do. And, Alcarillo, if you ever return, do let me know if anything ends up needing to be changed.

-- Folwren
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 AM   #422
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

The rest of the riders have evidently disappeared. Where is Deren to take the sham lady?

Also, you want Thornden and his three men to stumble upon Eodwine and Garstan in the woods, correct?

How soon is Haleth arriving? That is, how much time needs to be killed?

-- Folwren
Old 10-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #423
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Any time now, I suppose. I mostly wanted to get Scyld and Linduial away first.

a) Are we ready for Haleth to arrive?
b) Given the timeframes of the story, could he be realistically arriving already?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #424
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Jen, do you have any idea what I still need to do to finish up for Degas and Lin's family?

I've totally lost track of my plot lines at the moment.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #425
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Hmm...questions to answer...

Fea, I've lost sight of the plot lines too, it's been so long.

Where were we? Degas had arrived at Farlen's hold, had blurted out what happened, and messengers had been sent for the boys. We need a discussion between all those boys and men (ah the testosterone... ) that touches on Lin's relationship with Degas, and ends with the decision for Adragil to go to Edoras with Degas. And get going. Fast. Over the mountain route, so we can minimize the time necessary for them to arrive.

Firefoot, I think Haleth could arrive at any time.

I am so glad BD's back...
Old 10-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #426
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Okay. I might end up needing to have a post placed in the right spot. Thank everything divine for the fact I'm writing stuff that pertains to pretty much nothing else!

Soon (maybe tonight at work?) I'll reread what I've got for Degas already. Shouldn't take long; the posts are lengthy, but sparse. I'll outline what still needs doing and I'll see what I can do about some more doing it.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #427
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Hey folks:

Things have slowed up again, but we're getting near to the end of the story! Let's not lose hope within sight of the goal!

I'd like us to get a good idea of what's going on, and where we're headed, as well as see who is still checking the thread. I think we've lost Alcarillo altogether, unless anyone knows a way to reach him other than PM.

Can everyone post here something quick in answer to these questions? (Thanks, Fea, for the idea!)

What goals do you have for your characters by the end of the story?

What needs to be done in order to fulfil those goals?

What events do you expect to occupy your next post?

Let's get things organized so we can wrap this up.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #428
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

What goals do you have for your characters by the end of the story? Degas needs to accept responsibility fully and display a bit of adulthood. Feo needs to find a place to stay before Degas gets back to Edoras. Farahil must have reason to go to Edoras with Degas. Adragil should display Adragil-ness to the utmost degree.

What needs to be done in order to fulfil those goals? Two posts. One that I outlined in my save, one that leaves off with Farahil and Degas riding north and Feo with Adragil. Jenny, if you want Farlen to leave off with anything specific, could you provide me with details?

What events do you expect to occupy your next post? I feel so on top of things. Already outlined it. Degas will meet the brothers, explain what's up, they'll both discover/be informed of Degas's intentions with Lin. Adragil will take a liking to Feo that will lead to Feo staying with him when Degas rides north.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #429
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I don't have any particular goals for either of my characters. Guess I did this more for my sake then theirs.

Anyhow, my next post will be for Thornden, in which he and his three men are going to go searching for Sorn and stumble upon Eodwine and Garstan instead. And that's been due for sometime, I merely forgot about it. I will attemp to write that now and have it up some time this afternoon. I'm afraid that's at least what Elempi and Celuien are waiting for.

-- Folwren
Old 10-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #430
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

To help rescue Linduial.

Capture the baddies and keep as many allies as possible alive.

Trying to keep Eodwine and Garstan from being mistakenly killed by Thornden and his three lackies. Getting back into the thick of things despite Garstan's protests that he can't protect him anymore. Informing Deren that he has not in fact rescued Linduial. Tracking down Sorn and finding out what happened to Linduial.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #431
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Help rescue Linduial and keep Eodwine out of trouble.

Capture the baddies and keep as many allies as possible alive. (I just kept lmp's answer).

Garstan trying to keep going with Eodwine and the rest of the party. Garstan and Eodwine narrowly missing being attacked by Thornden. Musing about how best to continue to be in the rescue party and keep Eodwine out of danger despite having a pretty badly injured arm.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #432
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien

Help rescue Linduial and keep Eodwine out of trouble.
Oooohhh...that kind of goal. I was thinking character developement goal.

Quote:
Garstan trying to keep going with Eodwine and the rest of the party. Garstan and Eodwine narrowly missing being attacked by Thornden. Musing about how best to continue to be in the rescue party and keep Eodwine out of danger despite having a pretty badly injured arm.
Hm. It seems I need to do a little bit of writing so that you and Elempi can get writing, too.

I'll try very, very hard to write something tonight, and I apologize very much indeed that I didn't fulfill my promise yesterday.

-- Folwren
Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #433
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Has anyone heard from Aguirel? I don't want to seem pushy...

- Tara

EDIT:

It's a teensy bit silly to fill this out for Sorn, but here it is anyway...

Death, very simply. I'm not certain Sorn will have any sort of miraculous attack of clarity on his warped sight of the world. Perhaps that would be a little (thinks of a better word) silly.

A tangle with Gurth.

As it stands, I'm not sure if Sorn should bump into Gurth straight away. Does Haleth really wish to confront him? I'm open for this, Fire , but it may be a bit cramped.

- Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 10-21-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #434
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Scyld: some kind of trust of Linduial/possibly swears fealty to her. I'm still seeing where this is going.

Haleth: Death. I don't know if that means he gets tangled up with Sorn somehow or what, though.

Um... I guess getting off my butt and posting would help. Yeah, Haleth's arrival would be useful. Will happen by the end of the weekend

Haleth arrives. Scyld taking Linduial off into the wilderness.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #435
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Anguirel's gone until something like Oct. 28. He'll be back then, though. I'd PM him if I were you and remind him he has a save. He may be distracted with his new RPG in The Shire.

Post is almost up.

-- Folwren
Old 10-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #436
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Character development goals are just as legitimate as plot development goals. .... at least in general. Of course, in the case of the rescuers this rpg is rather heavily slanted toward plot, whereas Linduial, Sorn, Scyld, and others, have more character development possibilities. So if you want to do character development goals, I don't think anybody's going to tell you that you may not.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #437
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Character development goals are just as legitimate as plot development goals. .... at least in general. Of course, in the case of the rescuers this rpg is rather heavily slanted toward plot, whereas Linduial, Sorn, Scyld, and others, have more character development possibilities. So if you want to do character development goals, I don't think anybody's going to tell you that you may not.
Well, of coures they're not going to tell me. *chuckle* It's just I don't have any particular character developement or character changing I want done.

My post is finally up. I really am sorry about the delay. Elempi and Celuien, I pretty much left it entirely open for you two to do whatever you wanted with it. It's a terribly embarrassing situation for Thornden. Poor fellow! First Eodwine tells him to quit being a coward (or close) and then he goes off and ambushes his own lord! I really don't think I'd like to be in his place right now.

Anyhow, have fun with it. We are going to Grandma's house tomorrow to watch one of the world series games. Therefore, unless I can somehow get access to Grandma' computer and internet, I am not going to be around at all tomorrow. Monday, I will be busy until nearly noon, so don't expect anything from me until then, at the earliest.

If my post is in any way unsatisfactory (including grammatical or spelling errors) don't hesitate to let me know. I was distracted as I wrote it and am too exhausted to re-read it now. Later, when I've time and energy, I will go over it and fix obvious problems if I find any.

Goodnight!

-- Folwren
Old 10-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #438
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Blame whoever decided I had to have 24 hours in a day instead of 26...

Deleting my save. I'll 'fill' it when I can.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #439
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Where are the horses of Deren, Thornden, and their small companies?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #440
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, golly, I really don't know. I forgot about them. Should Thornden and his men be riding their horses? Perhaps until they come to the woods? They could there dismount and ground tie them while they went into the wood to investigate. As for Deren and his three companions, unless their horses were led off by the other men, they were left at the gate. Good horses, you know, will ground tie when their reins are dropped to the ground - even if their companions are ridden off.

By the way, I am at Grandma's house, but the computer is not dial up, so it's constantly connected, which is really nice. I'll hop in and out of here during the ball game.

-- Folwren