The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2004, 03:40 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Are you a Stalker?

Once upon a time there was a thread of that name, but search engine failed to bring it up for me, so I decided to start in anew

What do I mean? The question is quite simple: Do you follow people around on the Downs, whom (if you feel inclined to reveal that), and for what reason?

I for myself am a stalker alright for several reasons:

For one, I usually log on from my office, where we poor mere mortals (i.e. everybody except higher up management and IT staff) have limited access to the net, which is expressed in a ban on load of key words like 'music', 'movie', 'download' and, most of all 'forum'. When link contains one of said keywords, there is no way of getting onto the site in question, unless one uses some tricks, like yours truly does in using IP address instead of 'forum.barrowdowns.com' combination. But, there are some restrictions - per instance, I can not get to sub-fora, as they contain words like forumID=, which can not be replaced, only to individual posts. So the usual way for me is to get "who's online" and 'active topics' lists and move on from there. But such an option gives only picture of last several hours, and there may be some interesting thread of two days ago that I would miss, unless (and here comes in my favouritism) I do not scan recent posts of individual members.

And members usually stalked after by yours truly are numerous, but I would venture the names of several

Leaving alone old hard-core philosophers like Child of Seventh Age, mark 12:30 and Bethberry, davem, per instance, is the member of choice for his (her?) posts are very well thought-out and articulate
and not in random places, but in spots of interest. Belin and Bill Ferny are other two, though I haven't seen neither recently. There are a lot more I follow around, and thanks to them for being around for me to follow

that's about the shape of it. Join in

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
I must admit...

I do 'stalk' Nurumaiel...you gotta love Nuru's posts. Mark12_30, Aman, Fordim as well...and on occasion I will see what Durelin and Bethberry are up to. All those great RPers.

There...off my shoulders.

-Aylwen
Old 05-29-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

I do stalk...althought there isn't a person. I just stalk anyone in the Quiz Room trying to answer my questions!

Btw, look at my location!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I normally "stalk" NightKnight, Firefoot, and The Perky Ent around the Quiz Room and Quotable Quotes.

I also "stalk" anyone who is involved with me in the Green Dragon Inn, namely Bombadil and Alaksoron.

Wow, bummer HI...that must really stink...
Old 05-30-2004, 04:52 AM   #5
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm stalked? Wow, cool!

Well, I don't suppose I stalk anyone in particular - only everyone in the QR an QQ sections that might answer my questions or set more questions. Also people in the Green Dragon, especially Eowyn Skywalker and Mad Baggins. And I suppose I use the "Who's Online" function an awful lot.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Stalking-wow, what a concept. I had never really looked into it before. I shall ponder doing this maybe now that the RP I am currently in is now coming to a close.

As I sit here and type I do think about how I've stalked Angry Brandybuck-but that was to see if he would post in the Green Dragon. Now he has disappeared, leaving our little love thingie in a fix. Darn him.

I think I must agree in stalking Aman. Very very impressive RP skills that I am sure I will be watching more in the future.

I guess then that makes me a stalker as well-even though I would never bother people. Is that one of the requirements to being a stalker? Do you have to bug someone? As you can see I'm clearly new to the whole stalker idea.

Anyone can stalk me, I do not mind. Well I would if it got out of hand.... Allow me to ponder on that thought as well.

-Crystal Heart-
Old 06-01-2004, 12:24 AM   #7
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Nay, no bugging, just following and peeping over the shoulder

Old 06-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #8
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Based on experience, being stalked is supposed to be scary. It seems not so here in the Downs!

Does always checking Who's Online make you a stalker? It's fun to see what everyone else is up to in the Downs, especially if there's only a few of you online and you feel alone...so you follow them around. Is this a symptom of stalkeringitis?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:42 AM   #9
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It might. I'm not the expert in this area.

Heren- are you a Potter fan? I'm just asking because I've seen you in some threads with your signature stating that Weasly is our King. I'm just wondering because I'm a Potter fan as well. Great books, great movies. I can't wait to see the new one!

do I stalk heren too? must ponder that.

-Crystal Heart-
Old 06-01-2004, 06:15 AM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
"Who's Online" is one of my favorite links. Sometimes I even stalk the guests and spiders.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #11
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Quote:
Heren- are you a Potter fan? I'm just asking because I've seen you in some threads with your signature stating that Weasly is our King. I'm just wondering because I'm a Potter fan as well. Great books, great movies. I can't wait to see the new one!
Aye, I wondered that as well. His sig right now is the password thing to make the Marauder's Map work, I think...but I haven't read the books in a while...

Helen, how do the 'spider bots' work? I've seen them on Who's Online but didn't know what the heck they were doing...

-Aylwen
Old 06-01-2004, 02:53 PM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Search engines have programs that "spider" through the whole internet link by link updating their huge databases. But sometimes, they happen to unearth cool threads that I'd forgotten ever ixisted, or look intriguing. So I chase them.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:22 AM   #13
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
*gets evil expresion* Yesssssss... we are... err... I am, I am a stalker... mwha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. I don't know who I stalk, though I find myself watching people in the Green Dragon whom I post with, namingly, Firefoot, and Mad Baggins. I've also found myself watching The Perky Ent... probably a lot in The Shire, and the quote room. Plus, I LOVE the Who's Online function... tee hee... yes, I am evil. And PROUD of it!

I'm stalked? Firefoot? You STALK me????????? Hmm... well, no worse than I, I suppose, as I watch you and Mad Baggins too... snrk. Our Green Dragon characters know each other too well.

Oh yeah, I also watch Amaraden (sp?) Ravenhill. as she posts in the What Happens When You are Bored thread... oh yeah, and Maegaladiel... because she's nearsighted too, and won't see me... snrk.

At last, I have confessed, snrk.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:36 AM   #14
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

I'm stalked? Bum Bum Bum! But then, I stalk Firefoot, NightKnight, (Kings of the Quiz Room), also Eowyn Skywalker. Ha ha! A double stalk! And Lhunardawen, there correct yet un-official term for someone who stalks the Who's Online is someone who suffers from a Stalkatoma For more information, click on the link. It's a field guide on the many Downs problems people can have. Very useful in times of bordom.

BTW, that spider this is really cool. Now I can see threads that I never knew exsisted. Did that come with the recent upgrade?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'

Last edited by The Perky Ent; 06-04-2004 at 06:42 AM.
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:50 AM   #15
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dreamsong-Yes you are correct in what you said about Heren's signature being the password to the Mauraders Map. Book 3-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azakban.

But I digress..... I shouldn't have said that outloud. Silly me.

I've think I've semi stalked the Perky Ent as well. Amazing posts I must say.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #16
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
White Tree

I s'pose if constantly checking who's online on the main page and who's under the 'Currently Active Users' column in the individual topics, then yes, I am a stalker.

Haven't stalked any guests yet.. *takes note to do that* moohooahahaha-ha *enter evile smiley here*

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #17
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
White Tree

Merf.. I stalk my long lost brother... but he stalks me too, so if its mutual, can it really be stalking?
Old 06-12-2004, 02:57 AM   #18
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Hey, Perky, just noticed your location entry. Just the place for you, this thread, eh?

Thanks for Downsaholics Anonymous (stalkatoma) link, it was fun reading, it was

Old 06-12-2004, 02:01 PM   #19
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I seem to be a different sort of stalker. I love to find out people's locations. It's not that I want to kidnap them or anything, I'm just interested. I see if anyone I know in real life lives or has lived near member's location. For instance, I see H-I's location and I think "My family has friends in T'blisi -- I wonder if he knows them. Or if he is one of them!" Things like that. I see that The Only Real Estel lives in Kansas and I think that my mom used to live in Kansas, or I find that The Barrow-Wight lives in Virginia, and I have large amounts of family there (he even looks a whole lot like my uncle!). I also seem to be very intent on finding other Wisconsinites. At present I have counted about 5 or 6. I just like finding people who are in some small way connected with me, I guess.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #20
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Beware!

Beware, people! Here is the real stalker amongst our ranks! a-a-a-a!

Well, seriously, I do look location entries up too, for indeed, it would be fine to find that chap next desk to yours whom you hardly ever talked to, though you've been working in the same office for ages, is fellow BDer, besides, most of them are humorous.

As for me being Orominuialwen's relative, I would be glad to welcome an opportunity, but I have a suspision you are a little bit mistaken there. Georgia in my location is indeed my real habitat, but is is not one of the states, but country to the east of the Black Sea .

Quote:
...There were several Underhills from Saddle, and as they could not imagine sharing a name without being related, they took Frodo to their hearts as a long-lost cousin...

Old 06-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #21
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

They're not relatives, just close family friends, but yes, they do live in the country Georgia, in Tblisi as a matter of fact. After looking at your web page I found out that you are any of them, but who knows, you could be their neighbor or something! Stranger things have happened.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:25 PM   #22
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

my apologies

I stand corrected. For the rest, check your PM

Old 06-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #23
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
*giggles insanely* I am turning into a regular stalker.. I must add two more people to my list of stalkees... umm... whatever. Yes... I now also stalk two new members, Agent Evenstar, and Audreidi. Why? Well... Agent Evenstar is a Middle-earthian Agent, and a good friend of mine... as she is as insane as I am... and Audreidi is two people, one of whom happens to be my master... yeah... c'mon, surely most of you knew I was a Padawan learner, didn't you? Well... I think I've mentioned it on the Barrow-downs birthday party thread... giggle.

I... must... not... stalk... bad... thread... mesa... good... Padawan... mesa... won't... stalk... Nah. Who cares anyhow?

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:33 PM   #24
Elven Hunter
Animated Skeleton

Elven Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I could say I stalk Lhunardawen, but not in real life of course. Its because she's a close friend of mine, and I enjoy speaking with her.
Elven Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #25
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril Oh, no...

Please help me...not this...

If I had the time to do so, I would stalk all the members of the Nearsighted Elves Society. But I do know that Maeggaladiel is nowhere to be seen, as she is on vacation...I just don't know exactly where. You see, I am an amateur, if I am a stalker at all.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:58 AM   #26
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

BD is so huge now...

er... what is Nearsighted Elves Society? I have heard term mentioned elswhere too, but direct information would come in useful (from the stalking point of view too, maybe )

Old 07-12-2004, 06:04 AM   #27
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

HI, I believe the Nearsighted Elves Society is just that. A society for Nearsighted Elves, no more and no less. I once posed as one such Elf in order to infiltrate the society but I was caught and beaten by 3 of the security guards and left for dead in the nearby woods.

As to the fun activity of stalking, I must confess to being a profile fiend. I constantly look at other Downers profiles for more information on them.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:15 AM   #28
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I think everybody kind of stalks their "favorite 'Downers" so to speak... I mean the people whose posts you most enjoy. Nothing sinister, of course. I've recently started stalking Eomer of the Rohirrim. His tricksy appearance being so hard to pin down, I thought to read more of his posts and see what I could learn, which brought me to THIS thread, coincidentally.

I follow Keeper of Dol Goldor around, because I've spent 16 years trying to figure out how his mind works, and I still can't figure it out. I even know where he lives! Mwahahahahaha. And his mother's maiden name. Mwahahahahahaha. Actually, the fact that he's my brother and I live with him (most of the time) and have the same mother... kind of negates the stalker-creepiness level.

As for others I follow around occasionally, The Saucepan Man, HerenIstarion, I used to follow LePetitCheaux a lot, but now we're rarely on at the same time... Once in awhile, if I see that the "Newest Member" is on, I'll follow them around and see what they get up to.

Fea

Edit: yes, Eomer, sleep easy once again, knowing that it is I, and that my sole aim is to make sure that when Biff falls asleep, you don't remove the straight jacket.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-13-2004 at 08:52 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:56 AM   #29
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Lately my mind has been at discomfort, constantly feeling that someone is following me, ready to pounce whenever I make one tiny mistake, and I'll be forced to look into the eyes of my stalker in cold blood and scream "NOOOOO!!!!"

Now I know its you Feanor, so I can rest easy now.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:13 PM   #30
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

I stalk mark12_30, Nurumaiel, Aman, Bethberry, Fordim Hedgethistle, Durelin...

But then occasionally someone on "Who's Online" digs up a good thread to read, so I really enjoy that feature.

-Aylwen
Old 07-16-2004, 10:19 AM   #31
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
I wasn't a stalker until I read this thread...Now I've stalked Lalaith and Evisse the Blue. Both found me some fun threads. So I think I shall go stalk some more...

Oh dear...now I'm stalking just about everyone that's on when I am...

Last edited by Elennar Starfire; 07-16-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Elennar Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 02:17 PM   #32
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylwen Dreamsong
I stalk mark12_30, Nurumaiel, Aman, Bethberry, Fordim Hedgethistle, Durelin...
Gah! *Hunted expression* And to think I trusted you, Aylwen! Oh, shame!

To be fair, I return the favour - Aylwen is one of a variety of people I sometimes 'stalk'. Imladris is another major one, as is Bethberry.

Dang, we need an evil smiley...for now, Mr-hat-bong will do...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:02 PM   #33
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I've been stalked..wow, I feel so special. Now I have to be extra careful, which thread I go to, knowing someone may haunt my every mouse click.
I must admit I've become much more of a stalker lately. I hang around on the main forum and wait for interesting threads to be brought to my attention by my 'victims'. I stalk lots of people, almost everyone is a potential 'stalkee'.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #34
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up Profile Fiends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
As to the fun activity of stalking, I must confess to being a profile fiend. I constantly look at other Downers profiles for more information on them.
I do that too! And yours is a most entertaining one, by the way.

I don't really use Who's Online that much, but I do like to check out the "find more posts by [likely 'Downs member]" and peruse the snippets listed there to see if there's anything I'm interested in. It saves time opposed to combing the forums.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:17 PM   #35
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril The Nearsighted Elves Society

This reply is sooooo late. I'm sorry, HI.

Yes, the Society is for Nearsighted Elves (and Halfelves too, like me). But I think we have been welcoming even those who are not myopic nor Elves. It was Maeggaladiel who founded the Society, and it has been growing. You can PM her or Eowyn Skywalker (I guess) if you desire to join.

Quote:
I once posed as one such Elf in order to infiltrate the society but I was caught and beaten by 3 of the security guards and left for dead in the nearby woods.
Eomer, you've got to be kidding. Wait, I was probably one of those who beat you up.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-16-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:38 AM   #36
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

Well I'll admit I stalked luthien- elvenprincess for a time because she was the only one playing my cryptogram game, and I was always waiting for a new crypto or her repsonse to mine! I like to look at people's ages too (if they give them). If you all remember Finwë (how could one forget) she turned out to be 16! That surprised me, I thought she was older.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:53 AM   #37
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

That's true Bombadil, I am often surprised at the ages of other Downers.

Thanks Diamond, my profile really does capture the essence of my character almost perfectly. I enjoy reading your profile too, its very funny.

Lhunardawen, can't you remember? Or do you often have spies snooping around your headquarters?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:43 AM   #38
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Ooo.....I'm stalked by Aman.

I freely admit that I stalk Bethberry, Fordim Hedgethistle, and HI. In fact, I remember staying up later than I would have last night waiting for a post of Bethberry's...

Cheers,
Imladris

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:24 PM   #39
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Hmm, I've done that before as well Imladris - not for a long time now, but last Summer sometime, when I really had nothing to do etc, and I sat waiting for someone to post on an RPG.

Guess what? They obviously changed their minds and didn't post it! Gah!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:40 AM   #40
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Stalking? Interesting...
I do stalk a little, I suppose. I check profiles of people who have names I like the sound of, or make an interesting post. I haven't noticed the 'who's online' feature, but now I know it, I'm sure I'll turn into a full-time stalker.

I've not been a stalkee, not in the forum at least. I did have a stalker, but he wasn't a stalker, more of a person-who-talks-to-me-when-he-sees-me -even-though-we've-never-met. I have stalkers online, I think. The pesky critters...