The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril Snow angels

Can elves make 'snow angels?'

For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, a snow angel is where one lies on snow-covered ground, then moves one's arms in a flapping motion. The legs are opened and closed repeatly, maximizing and minimizing the distance between the feet. After a few minutes of work, one then gets back up off of the snow. The resultant impression in the snow is that of an angel where the wings were created by the arm-flailing and the skirt/gown by the leg motion.

It's pretty cathartic, especially when done in the cold silence of a moonlit night.

Anyway, in FOTR we learn that when the Fellowship is attempting the Redhorn Pass that Legolas barely makes an impression in the snow with his slipper-covered feet. Is this something that he is actively doing, meaning that he could sink into the snow if he so chose, or is it something innate to elvish kind, where snow angels would exist only in their dreams?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg snow_angel.jpeg (2.9 KB, 1008 views)
Old 10-04-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Would Legolas want to lie down in the snow anyway? It would mess his hair up!

Anyway, I think this could partly be answered by the 'custard theory' I put forward last December. You can apparently walk on custard (it would need to be considerably more than a bowlful) and not sink if you keep moving; this is similar to quicksand in that it is viscous enough to mean that the water (the stuff that dilutes the solids thus making custard, snow and quicksand perilous obstacles for unwary travellers) is displaced by your weight as you move around.

If the snow is 'viscous' enough to allow you not to sink in if you continue to trip lightly along (a la Legolas), but to leave a slight impression, then yes, Legolas could make snow angels. But maybe Gimli would also be busy making ultra-tightly-packed snowballs to throw at him for wasting precious time in larking about while they attempted to cross Caradhras?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

It must be a skill. Elves still have mass and weight as Men do. They can crush things if they wish. It makes me think that they have a control over 'leaving a mark', say. And that's particularly important when it comes to nature. Men do 'leave a mark', everywhere as it is.

So Elves can enjoy the natural world without affecting it. Men cannot.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
As Eomer said: elves have mass and weight just like men so it should be a "skill".

Regarding the oh so famous "custard theory", I don't think that's the case with snow. Look at a hare running on the snow. It doesn't sink if it sits still. Neither would Legolas. When walking in snow you either sink or you don't. Well, you might sink to different depths depending on your weight and for example the size of your feet, but it's not like quicksand (or custard I guess) where you sink slowly.

A thought came to me when I visualized the hare. Is it possible that elves have giant feet? No, maybe not...

But if we go back to the original question: snowangels. Even if it is a skill to walk on snow, it's not sure if it's a "passive" skill or something that can be turned on and off. But during the snow-walking Legolas do leave impressions, though they're faint. That would mean faint angels...

I'm from the north of Sweden so consider me a snow-expert

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Would Legolas want to lie down in the snow anyway? It would mess his hair up!

Anyway, I think this could partly be answered by the 'custard theory' I put forward last December. You can apparently walk on custard (it would need to be considerably more than a bowlful) and not sink if you keep moving; this is similar to quicksand in that it is viscous enough to mean that the water (the stuff that dilutes the solids thus making custard, snow and quicksand perilous obstacles for unwary travellers) is displaced by your weight as you move around.
Though I only attended 10% of my physics classes (talking about falling cannon balls is fun, but shooting one off would be much more entertaining...), I'm just not buying it. Even assuming that I would float on custard (whatever that is...hmmm, my English-to-English dictionary describes it as some type of pudding), I would make some noticeable impression in it. My guess (have to go to the MegaMart tonight and buy all of their pudding stock to be sure) is that if I were to lay atop a tub of custard, I would sink. Assuming that it was really really thick, I would at least sink to 1/4 of my body width.

And so I'd be able to make pudding angels.

Snow is less dense than custard. Water is more dense than snow/ice. Could Legolas get his slippers wet? Could he have walked across the Anduin? Methinks not.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmog
Regarding the oh so famous "custard theory", I don't think that's the case with snow. Look at a hare running on the snow. It doesn't sink if it sits still.
Also consider the consistency of the snow (fluffy, frozen over) and the weight/area distribution of the hare (note that to stay atop of snow, one wears snowshoes to widen the area by which one's weight is displaced. Conversely, to stay atop of fashion, one wears stilletoes... ).
Old 10-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Custard...drool...

I'm sure that if you walked across custard, your feet would leave some kind of temporal impression, just as they do if you walk across wet sand, the kind of indentation that would last a little while, but not for long. The weight of your body would temporarily 'press' the water on that patch of sand/custard away, and then it would gradually seep back into its original position.

Now I know that snow is slightly different, as it is not a solid mixed with a liquid, it is a liquid in a different state. But whether or not you would be able to walk on snow would also depend upon whether it is hard or soft snow. If it was hard snow (such as is, or was, found in the polar regions) then you would be able to walk on it and leave little impression - similar to hard compacted sand. Soft snow would possibly support the weight of a small animal, but not so a human. Unless Legolas had hollow bones it must have been something about the way he moved on the snow to stop him falling.

Perhaps his grace and poise enabled him to walk on it much as it would allow a ballet dancer to stand on her toes (whereas I would probably end up in casualty). So if he was lying down in the snow then yes, he would be able to make a snow angel much as anyone else could.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Can elves make 'snow angels?'
I think a correlative question is 'would they want to?'

The play of elves seems very serious stuff, full of Art, Wonder, Beauty and High Moral Purpose, but making snow angels reflects the very heart of play, at least for children--creativity and curiosity about all elements of the world, play for no ulterior purpose other than sheer delight in doing something, the release of pent up energy, no concern for posterity or eternity but a complete abandon to this moment in time.

No, doesn't sound like elves to me.

On the other hand, his slippers could be made of the same elven material as their cloaks and provide a physical defiance of gravity similar to the cloaks' defiance of sight. Either way, elves light, er lite!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Perhaps his grace and poise enabled him to walk on it much as it would allow a ballet dancer to stand on her toes
Don't forget to include the phrase "high pain threshold" in that comparison. Dancing en pointe hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
I think a correlative question is 'would they want to?'

The play of elves seems very serious stuff, full of Art, Wonder, Beauty and High Moral Purpose, but making snow angels reflects the very heart of play, at least for children--creativity and curiosity about all elements of the world, play for no ulterior purpose other than sheer delight in doing something, the release of pent up energy, no concern for posterity or eternity but a complete abandon to this moment in time.

No, doesn't sound like elves to me.
Tra la la lally, I say to you.

Now the question... could Elves make snow angels. Wouldn't it be based entirely on how lightly they tread at all times? Perhaps the silence in which they pass through the woods is not because of exact and developed craft but because they barely touch the ground? Would the half-dwelling in the spiritual land experienced by the Eldar affect their physical bodies? It is not necessarily that they intentionally can caper about upon the snow as that they just sort of... do. But, as I have no quotes or anything to back me up, feel free to ignore me.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

And to throw this in:

Humans in Tolkien's world, even the best of them (Beren, Aragorn) are still below their immortal cousins, the Firstborn.
  • Humans make cram or waybread. Elves make lembas.
  • Humans take pride in a ship named the "Wooden Whale." The Elves have the "Foam Flower."
  • Humans make snow angels. Assuming that an Elf overcame whatever (lacking the density, gravity, mood, whimsy, etc) and actually made a snow angel, then surely this impression would have to be at least an archangel...
Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil

Tra la la lally, I say to you.
Now, Fea, I beg you to consider the terms of reference with which Alatar began this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar

Anyway, in FOTR we learn that when the Fellowship is attempting the Redhorn Pass that Legolas barely makes an impression in the snow with his slipper-covered feet. Is this something that he is actively doing, meaning that he could sink into the snow if he so chose, or is it something innate to elvish kind, where snow angels would exist only in their dreams?
Far be it from me to get into davemian Legendarium question about Elves and elves, but my comments pertained solely to the terms Alatar initially set up.
Although perhaps we could consider whether any of TH elves would produce an effect similar to that of Legolas, which is essentially no effect?

I can't recall any snow on the Misty Mountains. And although there were Light-elves and Deep-elves and Sea-elves in TH, I cannot recall any Snow-elves though. Is there any mention of snow at all in TH?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:11 AM   #12
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
I can't recall any snow on the Misty Mountains. And although there were Light-elves and Deep-elves and Sea-elves in TH, I cannot recall any Snow-elves though. Is there any mention of snow at all in TH?
The main action of The Hobbit takes place from Spring through the Summer, so there is no snow in terms of it posing a hazard; the party does not pass through any snow. The white stuff is mentioned, but only as 'scenery', on the peaks of the mountains. However, Bilbo's return to The Shire is delayed due to the risk of snow.

I'd suppose Snow-elves would only exist in a region which was permanently snowy, and we don't know of any that do. Though I do like the sound of Snow-elves.

Quote:
Far be it from me to get into davemian Legendarium question about Elves and elves

I like the sound of davemist better though.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:36 AM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Though I do like the sound of Snow-elves.
Well, there were snow-men, so why not?

davemology? davemological?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #14
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
davemaic?

And take a look at the races of Middle Earth:

Wee hobbit lads pelting each other with snowballs as the hobbit men and women sit comfortably by the fire.

Grumpy dwarves, trudging through drifts, with miserable expressions.

Children of men building castles in the snow.

Ents... thinking about it.

And Elves? Who better than those who truly appreciate the beauty of nature to frolic in it? Though I daresay they might be hesitant to disturb the fresh powder... after all, untouched snow does gleam so beautifully in the morning.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:56 AM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
The Men who lived on the shores of Forochel, the Lossoth, were also known as the Snow-men; and it was here that the Elven ship foundered when it came to rescue King Arvedui. It is possible that Elves and Men did meet on that occasion, and possibly mix at other times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
davemology? davemological?
Well, davemology might properly be defined as the study of davem, as in Biology, etc.

What about davemism as a socio-political-philosophical system? In the manner of Communism and Capitalism?

Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #16
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Would the half-dwelling in the spiritual land experienced by the Eldar affect their physical bodies? It is not necessarily that they intentionally can caper about upon the snow as that they just sort of... do.

Its possible, I suppose, that living in both worlds at the same time they could somehow 'shift their weight' between them. When they sail West is it as much a spiritual as physical movement? What I mean is that they shift dimensions as much as travel in physical space. If that was the case then its possible that when Legolas stood on the surface of the snow he wasn't completely in the physical world. The spiritaul realm probably obeys different physical laws - which may explain Legolas ability to 'see' 105 Rohirrim warriors at such a great distance.

BTW - ? Davemist or Tolkienist - I think the terms are pretty interchangeable
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:59 AM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
The Men who lived on the shores of Forochel, the Lossoth, were also known as the Snow-men ...
That's who I meant.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #18
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM

Quote:
The Men who lived on the shores of Forochel, the Lossoth, were also known as the Snow-men; and it was here that the Elven ship foundered when it came to rescue King Arvedui. It is possible that Elves and Men did meet on that occasion, and possibly mix at other times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
That's who I meant.
Let us not forget the snow-trolls around Helm's Deep during the terrible Long Winter, who Helm was said to appear like as he stormed the camps of the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
BTW - ? Davemist or Tolkienist - I think the terms are pretty interchangeable
Hold on here! Are you suggesting, davem, that you are Tol-keener than SpM or Sharkey or Legolas or Estelyn or Aiwendil or Fordim or burrahobbit or the great and mighty Mithadan?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #19
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
Hold on here! Are you suggesting, davem, that you are Tol-keener than SpM or Sharkey or Legolas or Estelyn or Aiwendil or Fordim or burrahobbit or the great and mighty Mithadan?
I wasn't suggesting anything....
Old 10-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #20
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Well, davemology might properly be defined as the study of davem ...
Ah, a fascinating field of study. I hear that the University of East Anglia runs a very good course.

Perhaps we should start a thread to discuss it's finer concepts. It could start thus:

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting anything....
Discuss.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #21
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Using a small bowl of pudding, one of my children's figurines, a toothpick and a pair of tongs, I tested the 'pudding angel' theory, which I assume is akin or corollary somehow to the custard theory (though I'm surely no scientist). Here is what I found:

Pudding is not the medium of choice for making angels. In an attempt to simulate appendage flailing, I tweaked the doll with the toothpick but wasn't successful in creating any angelic imagery, just a sticky mess. On the good side it was noted that the small figurine did not sink into the pudding; however; extrapolating upward into our scale to a person of average height, one would have to weigh in at approximately five pounds (2.3 kg) for guaranteed floatage*.

The figure had to be extracted using the tongs, and any impression that it may have made in the pudding was marred by the pudding's adhesive properties. Note that the ensuing 3-D shape created by the doll's extraction in no way resembled any humanoid, terrestrial or otherwise - and I'm somewhat of the imaginative sort. Those under the influence of psychotropic substances may believe otherwise and may be prompted to purchase said pudding angels on eBay.

My accomplice of the night was the dog, who patiently looked on, possibly hoping to participate in the doll's cleaning. This prompted the small insight in that further scaled-up testing involving a small pool of pudding and a human volunteer could be dangerous in that that much pudding/custard may attract unwanted attention from those of the Lalwendëian sort (e.g "I must have that custard!").

*Pudding floatage for witches was not determined and should be attempted with due caution.

The following was provided as a public service announcement and as a service to the community.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Braniac

Custard

Sounds like this might be your kind of show, alatar.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:19 AM   #23
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

alatar - that has to be about one of the funniest things I've ever read about I might have to try this experiment myself as I have a large carton of Ambrosia Devon Custard and a Jamaica Ginger cake which davem has been wanting me to make into a pudding for some days; when I finally do make said pudding I shall have to get one of my Legolas action figures, pose him on the pudding and take some pictures...

Now when the experiment was carried out on Brainiac, they actually had a small swimming pool filled with custard, and that's no mere trifle.

To attempt this experiment on a small scale with plastic figurines might mean a change in the substance being used. I would suggest the head on a pint of Guinness as a suitable alternative for plastic figures.

Although, to test this in terms of how it would compare to snow, maybe a large container of soft ice cream would do the trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
Ah, a fascinating field of study. I hear that the University of East Anglia runs a very good course.
davemology BA (hons)
Required units of study in Semester 1:

- Questioning the Accepted Legendarium
- Knowledge of Faerie
- Canonicity. Does It Matter?
- Authorial Intention, A Reader's Approach?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:49 AM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
davemism
Is that similar to "euphemism"? Would a "davemism" then be a way of expressing something with particularly complicated sentences and words, hunting it down by going around it in circles until it gives up?

Ahem! To post something at least reasonably on topic - perhaps Elves would make "sand angels" on the shores of the Grey Havens before leaving Middle-Earth?

If you can't get more seriously on topic than that, Esty, you'll have to move this thread to Mirth...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 AM   #25
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

OMG Now Esty has an alter ego!!!

Er - snow angels ...

Quote:
Legolas watched them for a while with a smile on his lips, and then he turned to the others. "The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say: let a ploughman plough, but choose an otter for swimmming, and for running light over grass and leaf and snow - an Elf.

With that he sprang forth nimbly, and then Frodo noticed as if for the first time, though he had long known it, that the Elf had no boots, but wore only light shoes, as he always did, and his feet made little imprint in the snow. (Emphasis added)
That tells us four things:

1. This is an ability of Elves generally, not just Legolas.
2. It involves running lightly.
3. It involves being nimble.
4. His feet did make some imprint in the snow, but not much.

I draw from this that Elves, being lithe and nimble, were able to redistribute their weight so that they ran lightly, reducing the weight placed on the surface and leaving only a light impact. My guess is that this would require a conscious effort, since there might be occasions when they would wish to step more heavily.

Laying in the snow, an Elf would have nowhere to redistribute the weight of his body to, and so I would conclude that an Elf's snow angel would be as deep and marked as a man's.

I believe that this issue (Legolas' light step) is addressed in the book on the Science of Middle-earth that I noted a while back. Lalwendë, you have the book don't you? Does it shed any light on this question?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:13 AM   #26
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
perhaps Elves would make "sand angels" on the shores of the Grey Havens before leaving Middle-Earth?
Here again I might be thinking too exclusively in terms of late Silm elves rather than early Legendarium elves, but I suspect that elves would not build sand angels, nor in fact sand castles, as the prospect of seeing them washed away by the tide would be too much for elves to bear, unless they were deeply into mortification, which could of course be a possibility. Do they willfully deny themselves the custard?

EDIT: cross posting with SpM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
That tells us four things:

1. This is an ability of Elves generally, not just Legolas.
2. It involves running lightly.
3. It involves being nimble.
4. His feet did make some imprint in the snow, but not much.

I draw from this that Elves, being lithe and nimble, were able to redistribute their weight so that they ran lightly, reducing the weight placed on the surface and leaving only a light impact. My guess is that this would require a conscious effort, since there might be occasions when they would wish to step more heavily.
Excuse me, but there is a fifth point, one which I posited up above: that elven slippers are made from the same material as their cloaks and herein lies their gravity-defying capability.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 10-06-2005 at 07:17 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #27
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
alatar - that has to be about one of the funniest things I've ever read about I might have to try this experiment myself as I have a large carton of Ambrosia Devon Custard and a Jamaica Ginger cake which davem has been wanting me to make into a pudding for some days; when I finally do make said pudding I shall have to get one of my Legolas action figures, pose him on the pudding and take some pictures...
Please do as ...uhhh...my experiment as described was more like those physics experiments - mostly mental, don't cha know - and so I would like to see if my speculation would hold up. Sorry, but couldn't resist, and spoofing a lab report is something learned long ago.

Quote:
Now when the experiment was carried out on Brainiac, they actually had a small swimming pool filled with custard, and that's no mere trifle.
Flipped by that show a few times, but wasn't sure if it were serious or not. Not a big fan of 'Fear Factor' type shows, and so never sat down to actually watch it. Was hoping that there would be a "Mythbusters: Middle Earth" show in the works so that the stars, Alatar and Pallando, could examine such ME myths like Balrog wings and elven snow angels ("Hey Pallando, what do we have in store tonight?" "We're traveling all the way to the Helcaraxë to see IF elves CAN make snow angels. Plus, we're going to see how much sunlight it takes to tan an Olog-hai...")

Quote:
To attempt this experiment on a small scale with plastic figurines might mean a change in the substance being used. I would suggest the head on a pint of Guinness as a suitable alternative for plastic figures.
That would be all I need. Would you like to hear me explaining to Ms. alatar just WHY I'm floating one of the children's toys on top of my beer?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Excuse me, but there is a fifth point, one which I posited up above: that elven slippers are made from the same material as their cloaks and herein lies their gravity-defying capability.
You have in mind that Elves had the ability to create shoes with some kind of anti-gravitational field? I see no place in the Legendarium for such a concept.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #29
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce
You have in mind that Elves had the ability to create shoes with some kind of anti-gravitational field? I see no place in the Legendarium for such a concept.
Ahem....Tolkien toyed with the idea of the Numenoreans having flying ships...
Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #30
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Ahem....Tolkien toyed with the idea of the Numenoreans having flying ships...
Sure. But what does Tolkien know? He's only the author ...

In a more serious vein, I would imagine that, had Elves been able to produce such artefacts, they would have made fine additional gifts for the Fellowship in Lorien, to accompany the cloaks.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #31
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
In a more serious vein, I would imagine that, had Elves been able to produce such artefacts, they would have made fine additional gifts for the Fellowship in Lorien, to accompany the cloaks.
Unless of course the slippers were the special purview of the Mirkwood elves, while the Lorien elves specialised in, shall we say, cloaking devices.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #32
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

1420!

Quote:
Unless of course the slippers were the special purview of the Mirkwood elves ...
Foot specialists? Hmm. Why would they need such footwear in the woods? Possibly to move through the trees and hunt silently, I suppose.

Then again, I see the backwoods Mirkwood Elves as being more likely to concentrate their creative efforts on party teleporters (devices for the teleporting of parties) and everlasting wine bottles.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:52 AM   #33
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
One of the misconceptions regarding all things 'anti-gravity' is that the thing just floats. Air is still displaced, and that air pushes downward with some force. Not even geeked up enough to do the math, but it may be possible for Legolas to hover a bit with his anti-gravity slippers, but he still may leave a trail.

And I'm guessing that those same slippers would make shooting a bow just a joy.

A link to antigravity and a specific link to the Independence Day physics reference here.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:56 AM   #34
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hmm.... My poor daughter has to come up with a science fair project. She is not too keen on science but is appreciative of Elves, particularly those who look like Orlando Bloom. I wonder how her teacher would react to a project investigating whether or not Elves have the ability to generate snow angels, or alternatively to walk on pudding? Since moms are often dragged unwillingly into these science fair things, I see possibilities in this topic.

Anyone know if the one book that's out there on Middle-earth science has any reference to Snow Angels and Elves? We need to have at least one sound reference other than the Barrowdowns itself (not that I am claiming the BD is "sound".)
Old 10-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #35
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
I believe that this issue (Legolas' light step) is addressed in the book on the Science of Middle-earth that I noted a while back. Lalwendë, you have the book don't you? Does it shed any light on this question?
Alas, said tome is lacking in mention of Elves and snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
A-ha! Now that is a davemism (I bow to Esty for introducing this new concept to the English language ) if ever I saw one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Please do as ...uhhh...my experiment as described was more like those physics experiments - mostly mental, don't cha know - and so I would like to see if my speculation would hold up. Sorry, but couldn't resist, and spoofing a lab report is something learned long ago.
Well, it is drawing close to tea time, and if the main course does not fill up the corners sufficiently then afters might be called for, in which case I shall have to take the opportunity to play with my food (I'm a grown-up and I can do this without risking being sent to bed early) and attempt an experiment. Stay tuned to see if the Pudding Elves have paid a visit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Ahem! To post something at least reasonably on topic - perhaps Elves would make "sand angels" on the shores of the Grey Havens before leaving Middle-Earth?
Quote:
I suspect that elves would not build sand angels, nor in fact sand castles, as the prospect of seeing them washed away by the tide would be too much for elves to bear, unless they were deeply into mortification, which could of course be a possibility.
Perhaps those Elves who lived permanently at the Grey Havens would be into making sand angels? It wouldn't be such a big wrench for them to indulge their love for 'action art' in such an ephemeral media, as they could make them again and again, twice every day. Plus the Elves of the Grey Havens must have been heavily into sadness and melancholy entertainments being subject to tearful departures all the while, so seeing their 'art' being washed away twice a day might have had some extra poignancy.

Though the sand might have got into Cirdan's beard and made it itchy.

I like the idea that Elves knew how to move around while putting as little weight on the ground as possible; it could be one of those weird skills learned during the inevitable boredom of such long lives!
Old 10-06-2005, 02:28 PM   #36
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Let's lay the Legolas/Custard theory to rest. I managed to catch the blighter sneaking into the dining room as I set the desert course upon the table and asked if he would oblige. He was gracious enough to accept my challenge all in the name of 'science' *cough*. From the pictures enclosed we see that he can stand, but he does sink. Finally, when he is drunk from the heady feeling of standing in my pudding and gets a bit legless, he falls over. But does he leave an impression? See for yourselves...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002160.JPG (49.0 KB, 728 views)
File Type: jpg IM002164.JPG (64.3 KB, 597 views)
Old 10-07-2005, 03:15 AM   #37
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
That experiment gives us an interesting insight into the etymology of the Elf's name: Legolas = legless

These 'scientific' experiments (alatar and Lalwendë) absolutely crack me up! This thread is priceless!

[edit: I might have known that my 4000th post would be like this - informative, substantial, learned, and carefully crafted! ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #38
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

While researching the specific gravity value of Jello/gelatin, I wondered if someone somewhere determined this value along with those of other dessert substances, when I had an epiphany...

Parfaits!

To paraphrase Donkey, "How about parfait angels? Everybody likes parfait angels. You ever asked someone out for some parfait angels and they say 'Heck no. I don't like no darn parfait angels!'?"

Thanks to Estelyn Telcontar's avatar for helping me see the light.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #39
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Forget not, my friends, that in the book Legolas only ran over the snow, while walking it appears he had to drag through like everyone else. If you run fast enough you can run over custard, or ever water (there is a type of lizard which does such). Legolas says something about elves running over leaves and snow and then takes off. So...the running seems to be a special elfy thing he can do (perhaps the lack of big stompy klunky man boots helps). If Elves still can walk on snow and poke though it then they surely can make snow angels. Or perhaps to the Elves they would be snow Valar.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #40
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
Quote:
there is a type of lizard which does such
Called "Jesus-lizard" in Swedish

What if elves make snowangels really fast? Are they still visible?

And one more thing I've noticed, Legolas do not only walk on snow. He hardly leaves any prints in grass either! I can't remember the exactly when this occures, but I'm sure I've read about it in LotR. And I'm also pretty sure he did not run at that occasion.

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote