The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2002, 04:09 AM   #241
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, Vanwalossien is quite simply my name.. I used the name generator here at the barrowdowns, and found out that my elvish name is Vanwalossien, so I use it whenever I create accounts anywhere... Easy to remember.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:04 AM   #242
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

well, in ages past, when BD was running on Ezboard, I wanted to be Olorin, for I like him much, yet the nick was already in use. So, as I like other wizards also, even Curunir, and I busy myself sometimes inventing stories about blue wizards, the realm of good easterlings in the east established by those, with myself coming to Elrond as a messanger when the Ring is found and Sauron begins to assail our borders), Olorin painlessly became HerenIstarion as a union of wizards

ps, Mith, I always intended to, yet never did ask you - why are you Grey?

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 01:39 PM   #243
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Demloth of Dol Amroth,
If you changed your screen-name you'd loose all your status.

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 08-09-2002, 09:20 PM   #244
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

In the name-genorator, my elvish name was Oroaraniel, and I didn't like the 'O' in the beginning so I changed the 'O' to an 'A' and ta-daa! Aroaraniel!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 06:46 PM   #245
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ar, thanks raef. oh well-thats OK. demloth is a good one for here at least.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:52 PM   #246
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Shield

The nick names are to help identify you. Thats what names are for. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]null[/img]
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 01:19 AM   #247
Adutalathion

Sting

Mine is my elvish name
Old 08-11-2002, 04:32 AM   #248
Ladriel

Sting

Shorten form of Galadriel, since the full name is most likely taken here.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:09 AM   #249
suicidal elf chick
Shade of Carn Dûm

suicidal elf chick has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I chose my name to be suicidal elf chick because I like death, I like elves, and I'm a girl. And 'elf girl of death' didn't sound to good.
"Feeling like a freak on a leash, feeling like I have no release. How many times have I felt diseased? Nothing in my life is free, is free.... Sometimes I cannot take this place, sometimes it's my life I can taste." - Korn 'Freak on a Leash'

Who are you?
suicidal elf chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 06:41 AM   #250
Halbereth Diagona
Wight

Halbereth Diagona has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Halbereth Diagona Send a message via AIM to Halbereth Diagona
Tolkien

Ok, you probably won't believe this but I made up my nickname. Totally made up. I just typed it on the spur of the moment. I linked it to my own made up language, could be faery.
Halbereth: Well, Halber kind of sounds like Herald, which is an announcer. Eth is like a link, like and, so herald and
Diagona: Diagonal, simply because I am awkward, like diagonal things. I like to be the first to know things so my reasoning is Halbereth Diagona = Awkward Herald. That's my reasoning. Weird, but kind of logical when you think about it.
Then again, I put it into the name generator, and came out with Awful Brandybuck, which since I'm so like Merry is me to a tee!!
Halbereth Diagona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:26 AM   #251
randycarrot
Pile O'Bones

randycarrot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always use randycarrot if i cant think of anything... so i just put in randycarrot because i couldnt be bothered to think... lol i wish i hadn't now because you can't change it in these forums! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
randycarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 02:58 AM   #252
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

When I stuck 'Kettle of Fish' in the name generator I got:

Loathsome Black Rider

and Elvish: Dûrtinco

I quite like the Loathsome Black Rider bit. The Durtinco doesn't sound like a flowing elvish name.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:31 PM   #253
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

I don't know, I like "Kettle of Fish"....
<center>

</center>
Quote:
It was Sam who had insisted on choosing him, declaring that Bill (as he called him) would pine if he did not come.
"That animal can nearly talk," he said, "and would talk, if he stayed here much longer. He gave me a look as plain as Mr. Pippin could speak it: if you don't let me go with you, Sam, I'll follow on my own. "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:14 PM   #254
Gamgee
Pile O'Bones

Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamgee
Sting

well um...it's simple really..my favorite charecter is Sam, and Gamgee is also one of my nicknames, so it just kinda fit. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2002, 02:55 PM   #255
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Aylwen Dreamsong....personally, I think that's purdy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Here is set G for Galadriel, but also it may stand for garden in your tounge. In this box there is earth from my orchard. If you keep it and see your home again at last, then perhaps it may reward you. Though you should find all barren and laid waste, there will be few gardens in Middle Earth that will bloom like your garden, if you sprinkle this earth there. "
Sam went red to the ears and muttered something inaudible, as he clutched the box and bowed as well as he could.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 08-13-2002, 10:38 PM   #256
Boromir's Lady
Pile O'Bones

Boromir's Lady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mine isn't all that original. I picked 'Boromir's Lady' because quite simply I want to be 'Boromir's Lady'!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I liked his character, I am drawn to the 'Anti-hero' type. The fact that he lusted for the ring's power to help his people, only to find out just how evil it was, then trying to make amends in the little time he had left.
~*Have you seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?*~
Boromir's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:50 PM   #257
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*laugh* thanks samwise
Old 08-14-2002, 04:38 PM   #258
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

<center>
Yers welcome, Miz Dreamsong.
</center>
Quote:
Sam sat in the bows, clutching the sides, and looking back wistfully to the shore. The sunlight glittering on the water dazzled his eyes.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:47 PM   #259
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well the first is obvious, easy to remember and spell.

Acutally the story of Eol and Maeglin was the first story that I was drawn to in the Silmarillion, the character that began the obession for the Cliffnotes project. Eol also is a cool name! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2002, 04:48 PM   #260
Gorannunwen

Sting

Gorannunwen is my Elvish name. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Jenni
Old 08-14-2002, 10:59 PM   #261
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

In elementary school I used to do all sorts of things to entertain my friends. I would steal chalk from the chalk board and books from the inside of my teacher's desk, and I'd always do it while the teacher was in the room watching us. I was slick. One time I went up to talk to the teacher at her desk and stole a book, a pencil holder, and her glasses off the desk while she was looking right at me and talking to me. I would always place these items on the teacher's desk the following day when she wasn't in the room, and I'd always have a sticky note attached that read "from the Phantom". Eventually a classmate blew the whistle on me and I got in trouble.
Later on, when I was in high school, the kids in my music theory and music composition courses started calling me 'phantom' because I was always singing or humming Phantom of the Opera tunes. (I love Phantom of the Opera) This nickname caught on with my friends because I was still known for doing all sorts of sneaky pranks and never getting caught.
I really liked the sound of "The Phantom", it sounds so mysterious, so I let everybody call me that and have used that name for e-mail and stuff ever since.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:40 AM   #262
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

My name means "Light of the Stars", "Morning Star" in Elvish. I love Elvish, and my friends and I decided to make up Elvish names for ourselves. We even have a sort of LOTR Fan Club called the Lissiranels, which, of course is in Elvish, and means "The Sweet Wanderers of the Stars". In this group we have Rohan names, Elvish names, Orc names, Secret names, Hobbit names, Dwarf names, Goldberry names (they have to do with water), names for our swords, names for our horses, and we even have Elvish Birthdays. We have a very large amount of people in this group, and all of us LOVE LOTR. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 11:23 AM   #263
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

Vinyaampawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyaampawen
Well my original nickname was "Xena" after the warrior princess. My friends gave that name to me because I was a warrior in real life in my profession....defending the helpless, etc.

Then I got the nickname "Arwen" because of LOTR but that name has been taken many times in this forum and other LOTR/Tolkein sites.

Sorry I could not read through everyone's posts but I am traveling in Europe and don't have a lot of time to log in.

Ciao!
Vinyaampawen

P.S. So now with the new rules, is my name too long? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #264
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Tolkien

I chose my name from the main character of a book I am writing. So far it is very interesting. I f you ever see a book with that name in the title you will know its me! It doesn't have to do with Tolkien, but I thought it sounded almost Elvish, Don't you? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 01:50 AM   #265
Varda's Wilwarin

Sting

Yes like many my fave names were taken [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I am no way in the league of such noble, courageous and chivalrous charactors as those of the fellowship so I chose Wilwarin which was taken so I had to embellish a little.

Quote:
During the spring of Arda, which was in the years of the Lamps, the Valar brought forth forests and may creatures that had no voice, yet were beautiful to behold. Among them was the Wilwarin, which in later times Men called the Butterfly. So content were the Valar with this lovely creature that, when Varda took the silver dew of Telperion to make brilliant the light of the Stars, she also placed the shape of the Wilwarin as a constellation among the wide-wheeling Stars of the heavens.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:05 AM   #266
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Although I am a hobbit, my name is elvish.

My given name is William.
Selmo is derived from the Quenya for will.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 01:41 PM   #267
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't choose my nick, it was given to me as a suggestion from a member of another bboard. She remarked the I should be called "Watcher of the darkness" but I did not like the implication that I should be keeping a lookout for Melkor for the rest of my life - so I changed it to "Twilight" as in the light before the stars. Not wanting to be yet another Tinuviel, I changed it to the nuetral form, and it sounded rather Dark Elf to me. I thought that was more in my line, you know, hunting the occasional foul creature and being a general Ranger or Wood Elf. Certainly I am not about to bandy with fallen angels. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Though it was a nice thought and a vote of confidence on her part. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-20-2002, 06:16 PM   #268
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Wild (I just love solar powered computers, don't you?
Artanis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am really lucky, I found an exact translation of my 'real' name in the Sillmarillion. I am Artanis, meaning Noble Lady. Can anyone guess what my Earth name is?
Old 09-20-2002, 07:52 PM   #269
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Well, firstly, welcome, your nobleness!
*bows as best he can*
Hm....as to your name....*consults his alter ego, as she's got one of those Baby Name books...*
Adelade? Um....
~your friendly neighborhood (athough sometimes confused) gardener. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2002, 09:02 PM   #270
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Isilya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Isilya
Silmaril

My name means "Moon's Day" in Quenyan. I picked it out of a Tolkien handbook, that and I like stars and moons and such. Very much similar to my old name: Elenya, star's day
Old 09-21-2002, 07:37 AM   #271
Tanraugwen Greenleaf
Pile O'Bones

Tanraugwen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tanraugwen Greenleaf
Eye

Tanraugwen is my name in Elvish and I added Greenleaf because I consider it an honor to share the same last name with Legolas.
Orlando Bloom is my hero!!
Old 09-21-2002, 08:17 AM   #272
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Tanraugwen!!
Old 09-21-2002, 10:44 AM   #273
Zackary1232

Sting

The reason i choosed my name is that Strider Rules
Old 09-21-2002, 01:10 PM   #274
Isilya
Wight

Silmaril

D@mn right he does!!
Old 09-21-2002, 02:37 PM   #275
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, I'm Hobbitlass because I sure as heck look like one. I have naturally curly dark-brown hair, green eyes (I don't think that one matters), very short, love to eat therefore a round tummy, and I am bare-footed all the time! I like simple things and a simple lifestyle and just plain silliness. I don't believe in reincarnation but this does make me wonder [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . And as for -lass, I'm a girl!
Old 09-21-2002, 05:20 PM   #276
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Mine's from a Stephen King book that I finished literally minutes before I registered here. Susan Delgado was my favorite character in the book and she died. Since we're all dead here, it seemed appropriate.
edit: Also, Susan is really one of my names, so that made it even better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 09-21-2002, 05:38 PM   #277
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My nickname is elvish for my full REAL name. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2002, 11:14 AM   #278
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

Vinyaampawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyaampawen
Vinyaampawen is the elven version of my real name. On the internet I am known as Arwen based on you know who, Arwen in the LOTR. However, as you might guess, on this site the name "Arwen" has been taken many times over.

I am particularly drawn to the elves in the LOTR because they lived in the trees (I love trees! I use to climb in them all the time when I was a child much to the chagrin of my parents [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img], are wise, immortal, defiant and courageous...fighting against evil...much as I do in real life.

Arwen is a fighter in her own way against the Lord of Darkness and elven women were known as warriors and fought in the many battles against evil. In fact, in the movie version of LOTR/Fellowship of the Ring, Arwen raised her sword against the Ringwraiths from across the river as she was holding onto Frodo and one of her most famous lines is, "If you want want him, come and take him!". That's my girl!!!!

This thread is quite interesting. Sorry to have been away for so long!

Vinyaampawen [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 02:59 AM   #279
Adutalathion

Sting

My name is my Elvish name from this site, it means O! Son of The Night Plain
Old 09-23-2002, 08:25 AM   #280
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

One of the advantages of having a name like 'Kettle of Fish' is that it is highly unlikely someone has gotten ahead of you and claimed it.