Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2004, 03:54 PM   #241
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Gracious! So many birthdays at the moment. Happy Birthdays Pio, Child and ArwenBaggins! May the hair on your toes never fall out, and may you receive few mathoms (but if you do, I'm sure you all know what to do with them )

At any rate:

Kransha: I'm a bit confused by the current action -- has Kalimac 'headed off' Fordogrim and Harold to prevent them from charging into the woods alone, and make them wait for the full adult party? Or is he joining them? Either is fine with me (but I can't speak for Regin).

To all: my original intent for this action is to have Fordogrim racing off just ahead of the rest of the adults, thus making him a pesky nuisance rather than much of a help. Should I continue in this vein or have Fordogrim join the 'main party'? Or is everyone just rushing into the woods pell-mell at the moment (might be funny to have this happen -- with poor old Marcho having to rush along behind and try to restore some kind of order ).

For my money, I don't think that the parents (and grandparent!) of the children are going to be happy waiting for even a moment to organise: they know their kids are in danger, they can tell from the howls where the wolves are -- instinct's gonna kick in!
Old 04-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #242
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Off topic, I know, but I feel so loved! Thank you Fordim!

I have started my post for the wolf encounter. It may not be very long, however, for I am busy for the next few days. Fear not, however, I AM still here!

~Fëa
Old 04-03-2004, 05:10 PM   #243
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Fordim - Actually, that can be interpreted as whatever you prefer. He technically 'rounding on' Fordo, or cutting him off, but I should think a hobbit of Fordogrim Chubb's caliber would have any problem charging right past Kalimac. He is stating that he won't let the Chubbs head the 'rescue party' since he feels they've caused enought trouble already (in his eyes, at least). as said, interpret however you will. Kal's not saying "You stay here," he's just saying, "You're not the leader, don't start getting the idea that you are, bla bla bla etc."

On another note: I think that the party ought to be somewhat organized heading into the woods, but Fordim's right about instinct kickin' in and evryone sort of going off to doing their own thing to save the kids. I may be wrong, though...

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 04-03-2004, 05:42 PM   #244
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Yay! My big ol' post is up. I know I'm a little off on my timing, but I thought a lot of crucial character development would be lost if I didn't take each individual event and give May's reaction. My next post should include her reaction to being lost and hearing the wolves. She should take it rather well, actually.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:31 PM   #245
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Memory of Trees & Alak,

Just wanted to say that I can cut and paste any post on the discussion or game thread, and slot it in at any point on the game.

This can be helpful in situations where someone posts later about something that happens earlier in the story. Just let me know what box you want it in -- give the date and time -- and I'll be happy to do that.

It's certainly possible to "split" a post as well. Leave some of it where it is, and paste up some in an earlier box. Just let me know if that is needed....

There will be a heading at the top of the post showing the name of the poster who's written this. We use this device a lot in many games....

Cami
Old 04-03-2004, 09:11 PM   #246
Child of the 7th Age

Weird happenings....

To all game players...

For the next day or so, could you make sure to keep a copy of your post on your own computer (or in printed form) in addition to the one you actually put in the game. We had one or two posts disappear and then reappear again today (!) so just want to make sure in case we run into any computer glitches.

The Downs does keep a back-up that we've used to reconstruct problem threads, but it wouldn't include the posts from the same day.

Everything does seem to be fine now, but just in case.....

Cami
Old 04-04-2004, 09:26 AM   #247
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Harold Chubb

Harold's post is up. I wonder if there are any OTHER children stuck in the forest besides for the Chubbs and Whitfoots? Hmmm....
Old 04-04-2004, 11:24 AM   #248
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

My save spot is filled in. The wolves are getting closer..... :

~Fëa
Old 04-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #249
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Nice posts, everyone. I have filled in my SAVE, and I will let you have time to read before I post a short bio here. Memory - check that ending, please, to be sure it's okay.

By the way, this new character should be known and recognized by all the hobbits in the convoy. He is well-known, not well-liked, but well-known.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:06 PM   #250
Child of the 7th Age

Alak,

The first section of Memory's last post in now in box #71. The second section is in #79.

Please eyeball to be sure this is right. If you need any other shifts, let me know.

Cami
Old 04-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #251
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thumbs up

Child - It looks great...thank you so much.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:41 PM   #252
Child of the 7th Age

Alak,

This is the leader of the wolfpack asking for clarification. Please eyeball Fordim and Kransha's comments above on the discussion thread.

I also am not certain how the Hobbits are going into the woods. Is there an organized group with Marcho in the lead, or perhaps chasing them from the rear?

Or are the parents rushing in willy-nilly in all directions?

This information would help me in how I set up my attack and/or describe the scene. I wasn't sure from reading the story, so can someone help me here?

Child

P.S. An imporant note to everyone..... When it comes down to the 'battle', please don't kill off the poor wolves. You can wound them mightily or send them packing with their tales between their legs. You never know but we might need or meet them again at a later point in the story.....

I will also try to refrain from muching on the Hobbits, although I understand they are quite tasty.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:02 AM   #253
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Crunchy hobbits

Like I said above, I don't think that the parents are going to want to take time to organise anything much beyond a quick "let's all stay together!". As I read the situation, at the moment Fordogrim, Harold and Kalimac are racing into the woods just ahead of the rest -- which makes sense as these three are mounted and the rest seem to be on foot. Perhaps these three could reach the scene of the wolf attack first, cause the wolves to back off from the children for a moment, and then become the centre of their attack. Things could get pretty desperate for them before Marcho arrives with a more orderly group of hobbits to save the day (I hope. . . )
Old 04-05-2004, 07:30 AM   #254
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots

Fordim is on the right track. I was going to suggest something very similar to this. Marcho will be calling after them, thinking they are fools to be running in there on their own, but he will stay long enough to organize enough hobbits to do damage. In fact, I'll post this this afternoon when I'm home from class, so we can have some order and the reader is not confused.

One question, is Elsa riding with her husband, or is she running behind on foot? And where is Sarah in all of this?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #255
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Elsa's not with Kalimac at the moment; he wanted her to stay behind. I do believe she is running along behind on her little furry feet. If you'd prefer, though, I could have her fetch the Whitfoot's other pony and ride. I will make sure to clarify this in my next post, whichever is decided.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:07 PM   #256
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Now another hobbit in the forest! What will Crispin do?

He's getting frantic, hope his parents and the Chubbs come soon!

My birthday is tomorrow! YAY!
~Fëa
Old 04-05-2004, 08:05 PM   #257
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Alak: I hate to say it but I have limited compie access now since i'm out for spring break. Sarah is with everyone else. Just let me know what is going on some time.

I am sorry about not being around lately.

Witchie
Old 04-05-2004, 08:32 PM   #258
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Tolkien

Sorry, I wanted to post this afternoon, but real life sometimes has a mind of its own. I will definitely put Marcho's post up tomorrow.

Witch_Queen and Arestevana, what if Marcho sees the women running by and physically stops them and demands they go back to their wagons. Then the women might join forces and follow the men anyway. Anyway, that would let the reader in on what exactly the women are doing without three separate posts about the same thing. If you want to come in afterward (I understand it might be a problem for Witch_Queen), you could tell of the women working their way toward the front of the part (similar to Eowyn?). What do you think?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:22 PM   #259
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If you see an edited by piosenniel . . . on your RPG post, it's just me removing your signature.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #260
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alak: I like that idea. If it's alright with Witch_Queen as well, I think it would be fun to play out.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:50 PM   #261
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots Marcho's post is up...

The ball is now in the hands of the fathers (and grandfather) and wolves. I would love to see posts on the women following, too.

Before I forget this again, here is a short description of Adelard Proudfoot, who will prove to be another obstacle for the children to overcome and hopefully provide some comic relief.

Adelard Proudfoot, a 23 year-old, Fallohide lad is the only child of Adagrim and Mirabella Proudfoot. His father, a local politician, is very wealthy and very busy, so Addey (as most hobbits call him) has grown up with anything he’s ever wanted thrown at him to keep him occupied and contented. The young hobbit is far from content and takes his callous attitude on all those around him. “Everything in Middle Earth has a price,” he always says and truly believes his money, or rather his father’s money, is enough that all of the other “poor, wretched” hobbits should be grateful he glances in their direction. As a result of this egotistical outlook, Addey has not a single friend, but he keeps around those he forces to meet his needs or those who hope to gain something from the relationship. The hobbit is known for being blunt, hateful, and rude without showing the least bit of remorse. Addey feels the world owes him, and everything is there for his taking.

Adelard has been watching the Chubbs and sees them having fun (chasing one another at camp that morning), and he thinks that since they're poor they will have to do things for him. I'm really hoping May will give him a hard time. Be prepared for him to be completely disrespectful (probably to the adults too) and mean. He's a snot nosed brat. He will squeeze himself into a lot of things the kids do. He's never known true friendship, so maybe through the course of this trip, he will learn a lesson or two. We shall see.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:56 PM   #262
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Sounds good to me.

Well now back to my break. I hate it when I have limited compie access.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:38 AM   #263
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I've got Fordogrim, Harold and Kalimac well and truly into it now, and I've also adavnced the plot somewhat. Regin and Kransha let me know if I need to change anything.

Alak and Child -- hope I've not gone too far in describing action with the wolves. As with above: let me know if I should change anything.

Assuming that all is well with the post, however: I hope that Marcho and his small army gets there soon, as things look to get a bit sticky for our heroes!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #264
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Alright, all is well. I'm just ever-so-slightly confused, because I thought the children weren't surrounded yet, but either way, the adults can still get to the wolves.

I have posted, and my post really doesn't have too much of Fordo or Harold in it. But, I hope Child is alright with poor, nervous Kalimac accidentally loosing an arrow at one of the wolves. It missed, luckily for them, but what will happen in result?....OOh, the cliffhanger! *Beethoven's 5th can clearly be heard*

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 04-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #265
Child of the 7th Age

The wolf pack is on the loose....

Regin, thanks for the loan of Harold and his pony as we discussed. Now, we will see what Regin and the others do.

My suggestion.....the three Hobbits (and their wives) have to fight for their lives and manage to get in a lick or two, but don't drive any wolves off till the full contingent of Hobbits enters the grove.

Marcho....hey, there comes that pony racing out of the woods without Harold on his back!

Kids.....All I can say is good luck. Too bad your parents are occupied with other things. It is totally up to you what you do, but if I were in your situation I would quickly go back and reread The Hobbit! (At least as a temporary measure.....) Or you can come up with another idea, but it had better be fast....

Cami
Old 04-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #266
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

OK -- got a bit ahead of myself there. I've edited my previous post to have the three adults come across the wolves only, then the leader runs off after the children.

Glad you don't mind the howling Kransha -- figured you wouldn't. . .
Old 04-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #267
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

I've put up a post with Elsa and Sarah in the forest. Witch_Queen, if there's anything you'd like me to change involving Sarah, let me know!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:46 PM   #268
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Great posts today!

A lot of action today, and I'm very pleased. I can't hardly wait to see what will happen next. I will put up a save for both Adelard and Marcho that I will fill in within 24 hours. Great job, everyone!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:11 PM   #269
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
just want to let everyone know that i might not be able to post for a while - spring break. be back as soon as i can.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #270
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Alak and everyone - My save is filled in.

Kransha - I've used your character to get Harold out of a jam. Please let me know if I should edit in any way. I wanted to use this incident to have Harold pay a visit to Kalimac after the action is done. He will apologize for his earlier actions and say thanks for Kalimac's brave deed.

Alak, Kransha, and everyone,

I was wondering if we could use Harold's apology as a way to open discussion of the "land" issue. Harold could explain to Kalimac that the thing underneath that's bothering him is how much he loves the land, how it's the center of his life, yet he's never had a piece to call his own. Harold could say he knows it isn't Kalimac's fault -- that's just the way things are. He'd like things to change, but he doubts that will happen in his life. But sometimes it gets to him. Marcho could even be standing near and overhear some of their conversation. Then Kalimac and Marcho can go off on their own and begin thinking about what Harold has said, and wonder if other Harfoot Hobbits feel the same way.

What do you think?

Regin
Old 04-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #271
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Everyone:
I know I haven't posted on the RP for a while. I'm making a post for Crispin hearing (and trying to fight, but failing miserbly) the wolves. I'm going to wait for Alak to put up her post and then I'll post mine. Child may have to edit it in somewhere.

Just so you know that I didn't vanish.
~Fëa
Old 04-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #272
Child of the 7th Age

Arwen,

I'll be glad to help. Just let me know where to slot it in.

Child
Old 04-08-2004, 09:04 PM   #273
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

I have filled in the SAVE with Adelard's attack, but I will get Marcho's heroic rescue in in the morning. This will at least give the children something with which to work. I hope Memory and Child will find their characters were used to their satisfaction, if not, I will gladly edit.

Child - Would you mind moving Melisil's last post for Alora to the bottom of post #96? I think it will fit in a little better there.

Everyone - I will be permanently taking over the part of Henry Chubb, so if anyone had prior plot arrangements made with Rutslegolas, please let me know.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:38 PM   #274
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I have filled in Fordogrim's SAVE -- chalk one up for the old guy!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:25 PM   #275
Child of the 7th Age

Silmaril

Melisil's post has been moved; the use of the wolves is fine....

Quote:
“Me and my Stout have handled one of these monsters! Let’s deal with these last two curs and send them back to the mother as whelped them!”
I applaud Fordo's lucky whack, but think his bravado may be a bit optomistic here. I doubt that three small hobbits with limited experience with weapons could injure all three wolves or drive them away and escape totally unscathed.

There are two possible ways of bringing an end to this part of the fight ...

1. Marcho could dispatch several hobbits to aid the adults in their fight and succeed in driving the beasts away, or.

2. The injured Grog could give a bloodcurdling howl as he's driven away from the grove where the children are, thus commanding the others in the pack to break off their attack and follow.

Alak -- You could write this into your own post or I'll be glad to do it...whatever works best. Please let me know.

Child

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 04-09-2004 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:56 AM   #276
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quick Note

I think that the idea of Marcho saving the day is a good one. Fordogrim is really just putting on a brave face: he's wise enough to know that without help soon, they're all in a lot of trouble!

What's more, I think if it were "that crack-brain" Marcho who saves them, it would really stick in Fordo's craw. . .

BTW -- I don't think we need to discount that third wolf so quickly; she's down for the moment (and presumably in a lot of pain) but she's still very much in the fight!! (Fordogrim does tend to get ahead of himself from time to time. . . )
Old 04-09-2004, 02:32 PM   #277
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Alas, Everyone, I will probably not be on this weekend. Being Catholic and it Good Friday, we're going out and then CAMPING! Yay!

I'll work on a post and TRY to PM it to ya Child.

Sorry,
Fëa
Old 04-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #278
Child of the 7th Age

Arwen,

I'll be looking for it...

I've also had problems getting my post up. Got into a huge traffic jam and spent two hours trying to get home! I'll try again this weekend.

Since it's a holiday weekend, things may be slow.

Cami
Old 04-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #279
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye Child:

I've PM'd you. It might not have gone through though. Computer froze. PM me if it didn't.

Thanks,
Fëa
Old 04-10-2004, 02:27 PM   #280
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots SAVE filled

Marcho has saved the day. Child, I figured if the wolves saw around 70 hobbits running madly toward them with weapons raised, they would take off. Let me know if you would like me to add or change anything.

Onward we go! As soon as there are a couple of reunion posts (I especially look forward to Elsa's reaction to seeing her babies), I will take us back on the road and to the river we go.