The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

muffin_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Invisibility and the Eye of Sauron

I just had to say that in the movie when Frodo put on the ring and say the eye I thought it was a bit daft also there was all the swishy windy noise and he couldn't hear what was going on very well. It said in the book that it heightened the sense of hearing but things didn't seem to come through very clearly also i'm wondering how they will overcome the problem of sight being drawn to the eye when Sam has to use it to follow the Orcs after they capture Frodo. Am I the only one?

feel free to eat my subjects
muffin_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 02:17 PM   #2
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

The Ring makes the hearing more accurate & blurs the view. That means not only does the bearer hears better, but he hears more afar; that's much more sound when put all together, hence the "windy noise" in the movie. I think the sound was well-potraid. As for the vision, I agree it's going to be a problem when they'll have to do an interactive scene with the bearer (Sam), unless they cut off the whole Sam-ringbearer altogether (!).
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 02:25 PM   #3
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Not a chance they'll cut the Sam-Ringbearer part. Not only because it's a touchstone of the story, but also because it's so emotionally powerful, one of the moments that play into Hollywoods beautifully.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:10 PM   #4
starbreeze

Silmaril

The swishy noise was quite effective in my opinion, and added to the sense of confusion and bewilderment that Frodo must have felt.<BR>But thats only my opinion.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:45 PM   #5
Elenya
Haunting Spirit

Location: See that mound of earth? No, no, the one to the left.....There you go
Elenya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenya
Sting

I completely agree with Maril....They can't cut it out because one: it shows Sam where the orcs are and helps him save Frodo, and two: They'll get to the end of the movie, just like in the book, Sam is the last ring-bearer to go to the Havens, so a lot of people would be confused if they hadn't read the books!
Old 03-20-2002, 10:54 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

The windy noise didn't strike me as particularly overdone; it seemed like Frodo was hearing the air all around him and, of course, the voice of Sauron (or whoever it was who could have been saying "I see you.") Just because the Ring sharpens hearing doesn't mean it would sharpen your hearing for everything; it could emphasize all the things that you wouldn't hear outside of the wraith-world (I sort of think of it as being rather like a dog whistle that way, only of course much more powerful ). And the visual effects were certainly disorienting and dim, which is how they're described in the book.<P>I agree wholeheartedly with Maril and Elenya; cutting out the part where Sam is the Ringbearer is about as likely (and workable) as cutting out the death of Boromir or the storming of Isengard. If you leave that out there's very little story left in Frodo and Sam's part of ROTK. But the effect of Sam wearing the Ring should be workable enough; for one thing, the effect of putting on the Ring might change as they get closer to Mordor, rather the way its weight changes; for another thing, even in FOTR Frodo can still see general shapes from the world; he just can't really see details of them. That would work fine for when Sam is chasing the Orc-troop ahead, hearing every word they say but bumping into things and not realizing how far ahead they really are because his sight is so bad.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:55 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

i thought the 'swishy' sound was appropriate. all that multitude of sounds coming in would be quite confusing, until you could learn to focus and pay attention only to the sounds you needed to track. sam will probably 'see' vague forms in the movie, and be able to track mostly by sound.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:24 AM   #8
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

Don't misunderstand me! That little bit of sentence was done on the spur of the moment. Of course I don't believe they'll cut that out, but since it's certain the book will be made more light I just thought I'd mention that. I'm not a major supporter of the films. They could have been a LOT worse. They turned out pretty well for a Hollywood-in-NZ production. Sacrifices need to be made to turn a 1300-page book into 3 movies (may they be 3h-long each). But that doesn't mean I believe this specific part will get cut.
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote