The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2003, 12:40 AM   #1
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Boromir- the first to become corrupted.

Boromir was the first in the Fellowship to become corrupted.
Perhaps he had the most faults in him or was the easiest to become corrupted.
My guess is that Boromir was so worried about his city and his people that he wanted the Ring for himself so he could save them- and to possess power as well.
Any other conclusions?
Old 04-01-2003, 01:33 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Boromir was stubborn. He refused to take the advice of the wise, who told him of the dangers of the ring. He refused to acknowledge the dangers of the ring. So his ignrance (refusal to comprehend the advice meaning he was not knowing of the dangers) led to his corruption.
Quote:
was so worried about his city and his people
That's what kept him from understanding the dangers and using their advice.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:38 AM   #3
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Poor Boromir. He really had a lot of 'strikes' against him. He was a man to begin with, and as we all know are the easiest to corrupt.
He had a lust for power/position. Remember Faramir explainig to Frodo how Boromir couldn't understand why his father didn't take up the kingship, therefore he would be king next. Ad this was at an early age, too.
And as you pointed out, much worry and stress over his people in the fighting against Mordor.
Even though he obviously knew of the ring,he didn't seem to know of its corruptive powers and therefore didn't know to be wary and guard against the corruption.
So all these factors did make him the most likely candidate to 'fall' first.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I'm not really sure Boromir was ever really "corrupted" by the Ring, per se. From the very outset, he was not convinced by the decisions of the Council of Elrond, and thought that the Ring would be a better tool in the hands of Gondor. There was no point at which he changed his mind and decided that the Ring really shouldn't go to Mordor--he always thought that. (And really, he wasn't part of the Fellowship for any attachment to its mission, they just happened to be going in the same direction.) When the actual point of divergence came, Boromir took action according to his beliefs, as we might expect him to.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:08 AM   #5
Morwen Tindomerel
Wight

Morwen Tindomerel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Boromir tries to take the Ring by force from Frodo, something he would never have done in his normal mind. So he was definitely under it's influence at that moment. And just as definitely managed to break that influence alone and unaided - a truly extrodinary feat that would probably have been beyond the strength of most Men or other beings.

I cannot recall anybody ever explaining to Boromir exactly why the Ring cannot be used, as Gandalf explains to Frodo, it is simply stated as a fact at the Council and he is expected to accept it. And apparently does at first, it takes months of the Ring's influence working on him to move him to try to take it - and yet for all that he breaks the spell almost immediately.

As for the greater corruptibility of Men; Aragorn and Faramir both refuse the Ring, Boromir attempts to take it while under it's power but then breaks free of that power and repents his actions. Seems to me 'weak Men' do pretty well - far better Saruman the Maia and no worse than Galadriel and without the light show.
Morwen Tindomerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir was a tortoured soul, he had the power to bring his people put of their torment, It was right within his grasp!

Yet they told him not to because "they had a better way"

he had never really seen firsthand what the ring's corruption could do, that combined with his ever-constant emotional stress, made him the prime target for the ring to take down.

as they say, "the weakest link goes first"
Old 04-01-2003, 06:11 PM   #7
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Most men were easily corrupted, they couldn't help it. Even Aragorn was worried about it. Even though he "let the ring go"
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:58 PM   #8
Morwen Tindomerel
Wight

Morwen Tindomerel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*Gandalf* was worried about the Ring's corrupting influence! If even an Maia feared it it must have been very powerful indeed.

And the peril was greatest to those who already had power of their own, like Gandalf or Galadriel, (let's not forget her little light show!).

Let's have a look at the Men who are tempted by the One Ring:

Isildur originally kept the Ring for no bad reason but as a 'weregild' for the lives of his father and brother. But according to Tolkien he eventually recognized the danger it posed and was prepared to give it up, (see 'Disaster of the Gladden Fields', Unfinished Tales). Which of course explains why the Ring 'betrayed' him. Otherwise a completely puzzling action since It can't have *wanted* to spend the next two thousand years at the bottom of a river, never knowing when or if It would be able to capture another keeper.

Aragorn, thoroughly acquainted with Isildur's story, apparently never even seriously considers taking the Ring though he is the one being in Middle Earth, aside from Its maker, with a valid claim to It.

Boromir *briefly* succumbs to the Ring's will, after struggling against it for months. But succeeds in breaking Its hold with no outside help at all. 'few have won such a victory' as Aragorn tells him.

Faramir also refuses the Ring, which mind you he never sees or touches, nor does It have the time to work on him as It did his brother. If you ask me he gets rather more credit than he deserves for this.

So exactly which of these Men was 'easily corrupted'?
Morwen Tindomerel is offline   Reply With Quote