The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A Lost Valentine

No, this is not a reference to a currently popular American television show.

As Fea has reminded us , Valentines is older than St. Valentine.

What? you say! A festival devoted to flaying young women and sacrificing goats and warding off wolves! Is this something for Eomer's thread? Well, I wouldn't be surprised if something showed up there....

But, no, this is something completely lost. I've heard tales of its profound decadence and utter silliness. 'tis said to be one of the earlier signs of mirth here on the Downs, but is a thread lost, link broken, gone to where all good virtual writing goes, wh ich apparently is beyond the circles of electrical wiring.

I speak of Squatter's Lupercalia thread. And in honour of St. Valentine's Day I am sending out a general plea to all Downers, should anyone have a copy of it stashed away in the archives of their inboxes, or stored in Word, to resurrect the thread here.

You see, it started just before I joined the Downs and maybe even was closed by TPTB and then was lost in forum shuffles. And I am so very curious about it...

Can anyone help? Does anyone have a hatch wherein one may find old files? Share the love!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Oh dear. I've switched, like, two computers since then!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Well, if no one can resurrect that thread, here's a valentine for all the Downers in memory of it, a chocolate wolf:

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-27-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I feel so young... Is its a story reserved for you elder Wights, or can I beg a listen?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'm sorry...hope it's not just me, but I prefer to have a massively commercialized holiday involving hearts and chocolate to one in which women line up to be whipped for fertility.

yeouch.

What's the big problem with Christians developing a tradition of worship on a traditionally pagan holiday? Just because the Romans thought they should dress up in skins and beat each other doesn't mean it was a good idea. There is no Roman Empire, and there is absolutely no evidence that the Romans were any better than anybody else.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420!

My dear Fea, I am so pleased to see that something I have done has made a young college student feel even younger. Perhaps you could reciprocate for the benefit of all us old time Downers?

But alas, it lies not in my power to tell the tale, as I have only heard of it. I understand it was a very literary thread, augmented by the likes of many venerable Downers in the past, such as the departed Miriel and Maril and goldwine, possibly Lush and Mr. Underhill. Certainly the venerable Squatter--Downers whose wit and sense of humour often livened the occasion rather than bogged it down with heady analysis as the Books forum sometimes these days is wont to see.

I had thought, you see, since this is the forum for remembrances of things past, I would offer a valentine to a mythic thread now known only in oral tradition. A bit of a tease I guess. What is lost can only be recovered, I suppose, with speculation and theories.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Pipe Better late than never

Courtesy of The Wayback Machine I give you The Lupercalia thread, started back in February 2002.

I tried searching this massive archive when this thread was first posted, but it was only tonight, while talking about it on IRC, that I worked out what the engine needed to be fed. I'm afraid that page 3, in which Lush proposed marriage and I inadvertantly re-invented an Ingmar Bergman story, has been forever lost. Still, enjoy what's there. This one's for you, Beth.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Breatheless with adoration (get the reference?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Courtesy of The Wayback Machine I give you The Lupercalia thread, started back in February 2002.

I tried searching this massive archive when this thread was first posted, but it was only tonight, while talking about it on IRC, that I worked out what the engine needed to be fed. I'm afraid that page 3, in which Lush proposed marriage and I inadvertantly re-invented an Ingmar Bergman story, has been forever lost. Still, enjoy what's there. This one's for you, Beth.
Aw, shucks. Just for lil ole me? (sorry, couldn't resist that)

Honestly, though, now that I've read it, I have second thoughts about it. Imagine the spectre of some of our most illustrious members being closed down for mirthful off topicness. Why, it would be enough to encourage the most susceptible newbie to boldly go where topics should not be gone and Esty has her hands full these days.

On third thought, some elvish wag could be tempted to re-sub-create out of that Void. Now, would that be Middle-earth sacrilege--I was tempted here to spell that sacriledge just for Thena's sake-- the closest we might come on the Downs to a homage to Eru's creation out of the Void? Well, I don't know. Given our ways and predilections here, parody might be closer to the mark than homage methinks.

Thought the fourth: what is wrong with parody?

And I'll take the fifth ... thought: What would a parody of the Lupercalian thread be like? Hmm, I don't know. Having boldly gone there, why return? Lush has found true love, Turmabar has found other forums, and etc etc. There are always new threads to be punned.

Still, it is a fun read. Thanks for finding it Squatter.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-29-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote