The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Nicking off Tolkien

Well now, we all know that it's no surprise that any of us use pseudonyms drawn from Middle-earth. After all, what's a Tolkien message board for if we can't reimagine ourselves in Middle-earth, eh?

But what about real life? Why would a person in RL take up a Tolkien nick name? And what would be the relationship between the person and the nick?

For instance, here's one very unusual connection: This Hells Angel organiser of the Bulldog Bash goes by the nickname of [b]Bilbo[/i]. A biker called Bilbo? Perhaps he feels a link between his No. 1 Bike Party in Europe and Mr. Baggins' Birthday Bash? And the thought of hosting such a bash in Shakespeare country! Why, the thought of bikers storming across the Shire in their hogs just sends shivers up my spine. Is this what the famed British Bulldog has become?

And maybe Sharkey's Gang is staging a comeback?

So, how about it. Does anyone else have other examples of strange and bizarre Tolkien nicknames in our 7 th Age?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Silmaril

That is really interesting, Beth.

As for the LotR-related nicknames, there is an old thread called Having a LotR nickname? where some members have written about their own LotR-related nicknames, but a quick scanning through the thread implied that few, if any, were seriously having these nicknames used by their friends or family... Anyway, I thought some people might find it interesting.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Nicks & Bikers

Hi Beth and Thinlomien,

I don't think I know any people with 'public' LoTR nicknames, though there was one guy who was known as Gollum behind his back, which was rather cruel but did suit him.

On the bikers subject, the shooting was dreadful and its not the first time that it has happened, but I don't think its fair to condemn all bikers because of this. I used to share a house with couple of Bulldog Bash biker attendees, one of whom once won the coveted 'dog bike' award for the most disgracefully manky motorbike to manage to make it to Long Marston. They were both great chaps and would never have hurt a fly, and weren't Angels, or indeed angels as long as one didn't object to disassembled bike engines in the sink!

After all
Quote:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
Cheers,

Rumil
Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Bikers, even those few who call themselves Hells Angels, are very different over here. They're mostly nice people, sure they like a beer and noisy bikes and metal, but they're generally decent blokes. And a lot of them are fond of Lord of the Rings too - my bro was a biker and a Tolkien fan, and what's more he had a mate named Bilbo
Old 08-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
yeah, there's 'good' and 'decent' bikers over here, too, Lal. The poor bloke who was murdered has also been described by police as "a man of good character" without any police record on either side of the pond.

What got me is the idea of all these noisy, smelly bikes revin' up in Shire-like country.

Way back in the '90's there was a computer game or program (can't recall exactly what it was, as I never used it--just heard people talk about it while I played 'Lunar Lander') called "Gandalf."