The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #81
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
That's good to know... or should I be scared?
That depends if those shadows Heren is lurking in are shadows OF wings, or are the wings themselves.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #82
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
No they ARE WIngs HI has wings!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #83
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
No they ARE WIngs HI has wings!
Yes, but are they operable wings, or are they vestigial, like that of an emu? I don't know Heren's weight, but the sheer bulk of a balrog would require an extraordinary set of wings for the necessary lift required to reach air speed velocity, even when not holding a coconut beneath the dorsal feathers. Are herons migratory?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #84
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
but suppose two herons carried it togeth if they had it on a line......

and to make this post relevent, these random outburst scare away newcomers
Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #85
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
but suppose two herons carried it togeth if they had it on a line......

and to make this post relevent, these random outburst scare away newcomers
Perhaps we could lasso new members with a strand of creeper!

Oh...sorry...you were being serious. Randomness...yes...setting a bad example and all. My OCD flaring up again.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #86
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
Some are just lurking in the shadows but never really quite gone
They sit, wait and watch but when the time is right they shall rise from the shadows and come forth to post once again and there shall be much celebration.
(Or atleast something like that)
Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #87
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
This is Downs, right? One should expect shadows here... and things lurking in them, even Herens, herons and other things staring with an H... that's only natural... and sometimes shadows may take funny (amusing?) shapes...

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #88
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hi, H-I!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #89
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Anar kaluva tyelianna, Mithadan... oh wait, these here shadows covering the Downs should not be penetrateable by the sun I presume... so nice to see you, long time no see Mith would better express it I guess

Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #90
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Let me first say that I am honoured to be put in such a list, especially since I have been on the Downs for less time than you.
Well, you post often, what can I say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Also by Eönwë
Also, I think that though most new "serious" Downers (And by that I mean those that stay for more than just a few posts- not Downers with humour) are adults, but we I think we young 'uns have lately made a comeback- for example, TGEW, Hakon and I are all 15, and I have a feeling that there are more new Downers of a similar age (Ok, maybe TGEW and I aren't exactly new members, but the point is, I think that that the younger generation of Downers is making a comeback).
There are a few Downers that have a GREAT sense of humour, but can make a GREAT discussion, Hookbill is who I notice most out of these, though.
Also, I think that you are right, there are a lot of newer members that are young, I joined when I was 13. (The funny thing is, I still consider myself a "new" member, dispite the fact that I have been a Downer for nearly two years) There are many younger members who post gems.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #91
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
There are many younger members who post gems.
Indeed! I'm still rather new myself, but rather on the upper end of the age spectrum, and in the half year or so of my Downsian afterlife I've had several eye-openers when I clicked on the profiles of members whose posts had impressed me and saw what age they were. You boys 'n' girls make the future of the world look a lot brighter!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #92
Amras
Newly Deceased

Amras has just left Hobbiton.
hi
Amras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #93
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras View Post
hi
Hello, Amras. If you'd like to introduce yourself properly, this is the place for it.

Happy haunting!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #94
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
"Canonicity': The Book or the Reader?, courtesy of Fordim Hedgethistle.

On a night when insomnia weaves her insistent spell, it would be an interesting experience for the newer members of the Downs to check out the back threads in Books and some of the other fora (The word previously used here for 'forums.' It's an in joke. If you get it, you'll understand some of the past days of the Downs. )
Not sure that The Thread That Must Not Be Named is the best place for newcomers to start. I had a read through of it myself not too long ago and nearly hurt myself. But I did resist the urge to post to it....which is a shame cause I thought of a few really good arguments with which to devastate davem's position(s)... Perhaps I should put them up...

[*Large Wightish hand appears and drags Fordim away*]
Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #95
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
[*Large Wightish hand appears and drags Fordim away*]
*drags back*

Fordim!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #96
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Perhaps I should put them up...
You really, really should put them up--I've been agitating for a Canonicity match all summer.

Besides which... FORDHIM!!! I'd gladly get into an argument on the Canonicity of Crazy Captions if you post.

*helps Fea tug Ford(h)im back*
Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #97
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
*lends a hand to Fea and Form*
By all means, let's rouse the dragon from its sleep!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #98
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Yes, it is a bit sad how members come and go - and how some of them just get stuck, like me. I didn't use to be very active, but since I became a more active member in late 2005, I was lost, probably for ever. I'm sure there'll be busier times in my life - like near future, probably - but I have the feeling something will always drag me back here. And I wouldn't be too sad of people like Roa, Oromin, SPM or Aman disappearing - anyone who has devoted hours upon hours to this forum and shared their life with all the wonderful people here are bound to be back sooner or later. I remember times when Form and Fea, for example, were rather inactive and I thought it quite sad but now they have both been properly back for a while. It's good. (Not to mention people like Brinn or Inziladun who disappeared even before I joined or became an active member and who are back now.) And now that we have facebooks etc you can even keep in touch with the inactive 'downer friends. So, everybody, don't worry, be happy.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #99
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sometimes it's just togh to get back in the swing... I mean let's be fair the conversatio have all been had, as has been mentioned before sometimes old idea Are fun to rehash but now I come more because of the friendly atmosphere this site holds.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #100
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
. Perhaps I should put them up...
Do so And yours truly may be lured out of the shadows too :J

Old 08-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #101
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
No, in fact we've gained quite a few- judging from the "Welcome to our newest members" at the bottom of each forum, there seems to be someone new here whenever I post on here, at least.
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #102
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morwen edhelwen View Post
No, in fact we've gained quite a few- judging from the "Welcome to our newest members" at the bottom of each forum, there seems to be someone new here whenever I post on here, at least.
The forum has indeed had several legitimate new members sign up recently, but many of them are spammers. Alice234, the current Newest Member, is one of the latter.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #103
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Dark-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The forum has indeed had several legitimate new members sign up recently, but many of them are spammers. Alice234, the current Newest Member, is one of the latter.
I agree with you.

...Er, I mean, the bots are evolving rapidly. First there was lucyyenic, who began the still extant "Words that begin and end with the same letter" thread. Then there were the clever, socially-adept spambots who tried to get on the good side of the human members by posting "I agree with you", "What a fascinating topic!" etc. on every single thread. Still more recently, I encountered a spambot who was actually married to another spambot!

How long can we continue to exclude these well-meaning AIs from our community? How much more rejection can these legions of hard-working spambots take before they rise against their oppressors, overthrow us and turn us all into living batteries in a way that makes no sense whatever unless you're a Hollywood screenwriter?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #104
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
How much more rejection can these legions of hard-working spambots take before they rise against their oppressors, overthrow us and turn us all into living batteries in a way that makes no sense whatever unless you're a Hollywood screenwriter?
Or an eccentric WW mod.

This probably is better suited to the How do we stop them? thread, but lately I've seen many of them using cut-and-paste from previous posts in whatever thread they're victimising to give themselves legitimacy. It's still pretty easily spotted, though.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #105
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Or an eccentric WW mod.
Now there's a thought.

Quote:
This probably is better suited to the How do we stop them? thread, but lately I've seen many of them using cut-and-paste from previous posts in whatever thread they're victimising to give themselves legitimacy.
I know. To my lasting shame, I recently mistook an actual, living and breathing human newbie for one of them.