The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ranking of online Tolkien sites

There is a ranking of Tolkien sites available on the Tolkien Library site. However, there is no listing for the Barrow Downs as sites need to register first.

What do Downers think? Should one of our Mods or Admins register us there?

Fans vote on their favourite sites, so this is a popularity contest.

The Tolkien Library Top 100 Tolkien Sites

The Tolkien Library site is a very classy site, an excellent resource for Tolkien collectors and book enthusiasts.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Thumbs up

Someone should sign us up, of couse we would win!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Question Depends on your priorities...

*scratches head*
Who or what is this "Tolkien" of whom you speak? Is it by any chance another name for Werewolf?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
/\
Nice acting, Nerwen!

Seriously, of course we should be registered there and get one of those nifty "Vote for us" thingies on the main forum page. It's a shame we aren't in those Top 100 yet.
Unless, of course, we're content to remain a forum for the chosen few who will find their way here by themselves sooner or later... and I don't actually mean that ironically, or at least not wholly. Speaking from experience, back in the days when my old love for Tolkien was rekindled by the movies coming out and I was browsing Tolkien websites by the dozen, the Downs just stuck out as something special by themselves, without any need for rankings or advertising, and I bet it's still like that for the people who come here newly these days.
On the other hand, they can only find us if they know we're out there somewhere...
Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
It's a shame we aren't in those Top 100 yet.
Unless, of course, we're content to remain a forum for the chosen few who will find their way here by themselves sooner or later...
I expect there'll be a rather large bump in membership when the Hobbit movie is released. That's going to be a while, though.

Quote:
On the other hand, they can only find us if they know we're out there somewhere...
The spambots don't seem to have any trouble.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Unless, of course, we're content to remain a forum for the chosen few who will find their way here by themselves sooner or later... and I don't actually mean that ironically, or at least not wholly. Speaking from experience, back in the days when my old love for Tolkien was rekindled by the movies coming out and I was browsing Tolkien websites by the dozen, the Downs just stuck out as something special by themselves, without any need for rankings or advertising, and I bet it's still like that for the people who come here newly these days.
I've thought about this a bit recently and realised that on the whole, it seems that those that find the website on their own (and generally join to comment on something in books) tend to be the ones that stay the longest and most active.
That's not to say that we shouldn't try to bring more attention to the 'Downs if you want. It's just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I expect there'll be a rather large bump in membership when the Hobbit movie is released.
This is definitely the case.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe The Barrow Downs

The Barrow Downs ... just by its name ... draws interest from Tolkien book people who have read about the Barrow Downs. It wasn't mentioned or shown in the movies. In fact, the closest thing to come to it in the movies was the burial mounds of Rohan.

A good discussion on the finer aspects of Tolkien's written works can usually be had here, and the stability of the site not wanting to make changes to the latest gimmick or try to expand its scope to draw people in makes it what this Tolkien book geek loves!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Dark-Eye Be careful what you wish for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I expect there'll be a rather large bump in membership when the Hobbit movie is released.
And then the forum will look like this:

Quote:
Threads in Forum: The Books

Helpp??

Who is...

Hey?

What???

Hottest elve's?11??!!?!??

are horbits real???!!

GUESS WHAT!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Look at MEEEEEEE!!!!

is sarin teh necormanser???!!!!

why is Dragon calld smog is becuase he brathes fier and smoke tell me plz plz!!!??
Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
And then the forum will look like this:
Sad but true, I fear. And in my experience, with popularity comes a reduction of civility. Cliques form, fights break out more often, and... Well, that's one of the biggest reasons I left TOR.n. When you're "the place to be," everybody comes, and it tends to make for a bigger, noiser, messier, less friendly place. You get noticed, but at what cost? Something to consider, I think.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ah, but you're both forgetting one thing - this forum has moderators! We may be dealing mostly with spambots for now, but we will be ready to keep things tidy when the rush comes. Just because the skwerlz aren't needed at this time doesn't mean they're no longer existent...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Ah, but you're both forgetting one thing - this forum has moderators!
Oh, no, I'm not forgetting, but I was one of the moderators for TORn. It got ugly, I got appalled, and... Well, a long story, and I'm not here to air the dirty laundry of another site. Suffice it to say that over the years, I've seen too much of the seamy underbelly of fame, seen too many things that started well end badly because of a desire to become noticed and popular. I guess I just don't want to see it happen again. I may not be the most active member of the Downs, but I've come to appreciate the fact that it's a site where people can actually disagree and be civil about it. Not perfect, of course, but during my time here, the heated arguments I've watched have generally ended with at least an agreement to disagree, and then let go. It's harder for that to happen in a big crowd.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
Oh, no, I'm not forgetting . . . . I guess I just don't want to see it happen again. I may not be the most active member of the Downs, but I've come to appreciate the fact that it's a site where people can actually disagree and be civil about it. Not perfect, of course, but during my time here, the heated arguments I've watched have generally ended with at least an agreement to disagree, and then let go. It's harder for that to happen in a big crowd.
No matter how large the crowd was back in the day, the Mods and Admins were always on top of things, long before there was the Reputations system to consider. And the chat room became the natural outlet for humorous ridicule.

Of course, Downers themselves often "policed" matters and strenuously proclaimed the quality of the conversation here. That could well happen again. Consider this chestnut: Rimbaud's (sp?): The Phantom Menace. It is quite amazing what a well-aimed trout and a little humour can do.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Actually this thread takes me back to the pre-movie days, when we used to compete for the top spot on the Tolkien-ranking site 25hobbits.com with (the now defunct, I think) Minas Tirith. Then one day the Spanish language site El Senor de los Anillos rose up through the rankings and whipped everyone by a wide margin. There were accusations of voting irregularities; it got a little ugly.

After the movie rush (we fared better than some sites, at least in part, I think, as Snowdog mentions, because of our book-oriented theme) we were less eager to seek out extra attention.

The movies will probably bring an influx of new members which could make things bumpy for a time, but if last time around was any indication, after the wave recedes many treasures will have washed up on our shores. The new films might also reactivate some long dormant members (fingers crossed).
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The Barrow Downs, antecedent and cognomen of a subterranean Wraithish hold, is a 'found' treasure. One doesn't merely walk into the Barrow Downs lightly based on a frivolous whim or, worse yet, due to some silly poll. One takes one's time and becomes acclimated to the dim surroundings and eccentric twists and turns the discussions wend upon. This place is not for the faint of heart.

Even I eased into these famed fora. Why, it took me nearly a week of getting my bearings before I got into an argument with davem!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
The movies will probably bring an influx of new members which could make things bumpy for a time, but if last time around was any indication, after the wave recedes many treasures will have washed up on our shores. The new films might also reactivate some long dormant members (fingers crossed).
Look, don't take me too seriously, okay?

I have to tell you, though, I was actually inspired by my search for Questionable Thread Titles– those early threads are a goldmine.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #16
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Yes, treasures all in that thread. In my experience there's nothing like a swooning Legolas-lover to inspire creativity. The Scandalous Incident of the My Pretty Pony RPG may serve as an illustrative example.

I doubt that the wave inspired by The Hobbit will have quite the same quality, however. It hardly seems likely, for example, that Thorin Oakenshield will inspire legions of fangurls.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #17
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
I doubt that the wave inspired by The Hobbit will have quite the same quality, however. It hardly seems likely, for example, that Thorin Oakenshield will inspire legions of fangurls.
Bard, on the other hand... *waggles eyebrows suggestively*
Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #18
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Look, don't take me too seriously, okay?

I have to tell you, though, I was actually inspired by my search for Questionable Thread Titles– those early threads are a goldmine.
I think it's probably quite applicable, Nerwen, to think of the ages of the Barrow Downs in terms of Tolkien's own First Age, Second Age, Third Age, etc.

Some of those goldmines belong to a very primitive age while others clearly show the consequences of bad oaths and desperate searching after gems. But the eldar have faded and so now we have the Age of . . . Werewolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill
Yes, treasures all in that thread. In my experience there's nothing like a swooning Legolas-lover to inspire creativity. The Scandalous Incident of the My Pretty Pony RPG may serve as an illustrative example.
Or what Zones for Ops inspired!

EDIT: My Pretty Pony led directly to REB, did it not?

Last edited by Bêthberry; 12-08-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
EDIT: My Pretty Pony led directly to REB, did it not?
Did it? Miss Esty will be able to answer that more accurately than I can. I remember there was another animal-themed RPG which started in '02, The Simian Shadow of Far Harad, but I can't recall for sure now if that was a sort of act of penance or just a coincidence. Anyhow, after a promising start on what I thought was a very intriguing premise, it petered out rather quickly. This was back when our RPG section was still the Wild West. The first post of REB went up shortly after the New Year in '03.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Did somebody say Ponies? Fine bit of writing there, ayuh!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
His actor does. Or rather a more discerning fanwoman. . Yea even here. Mister Underhill, you have clearly never heard of the Armitage Army and its various splinter groups but you may yet.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 AM   #22
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
His actor does. Or rather a more discerning fanwoman. . Yea even here. Mister Underhill, you have clearly never heard of the Armitage Army and its various splinter groups but you may yet.
Brr! Foes that would, no doubt, freeze my heart, or lay this little site in ruin, if it were not guarded ceaselessly.

Anyway, since I wrote the above the latest rumor to break is that Orly is set for a return that's "more than just a cameo", so...
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #23
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
Actually this thread takes me back to the pre-movie days, when we used to compete for the top spot on the Tolkien-ranking site 25hobbits.com with (the now defunct, I think) Minas Tirith. Then one day the Spanish language site El Senor de los Anillos rose up through the rankings and whipped everyone by a wide margin. There were accusations of voting irregularities; it got a little ugly.

After the movie rush (we fared better than some sites, at least in part, I think, as Snowdog mentions, because of our book-oriented theme) we were less eager to seek out extra attention.

Well said Mister Underhill. I see by your join date that you too go back to the EZ Board Barrow. I was there too but never got my date changed when the new Barrow was dug out. I remember 25 Hobbits too, and think I voted for both this site and Minas Tirith.com, being I've been a member of both roughly the same amount of time. (They're still around BTW but you're more likely to get into a flame war over Obama or Wikileaks than talk Tolkien these days). This place has been steady, and though I find it hard to try and conform to the stringent rules and regulations of RP here, there has been some well-constructed collaborative writing here over the years.

Yes, with the new movie there will be a wave of interest washing over Tolkien cyberworld, though not as big as the tsunami of 2001-2003. After the mayhem and destruction, gems will remain when the rest washes back out. One thing this coming new wave of 13 year olds will do will be to show the twenty-somethings how annoying they were back in the day with the rabid fandom ... that is if they have an actor as popular as Orlando was then. In the end, it's all good. It could be interesting to see what would happen should this place get on board the popularity poll, and again, maybe not.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote