The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #241
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Right-click on it and tell it to open in a new browser or new tab.
Aha! Success! Thanks Morm!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #242
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
This was already asked in the "Best Avatar" thread, but I think there was no answer.

Is it possible to upload an animated avatar? I'm told "You may not upload animated images." even when both size criterias are taken into account.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #243
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Volo, animated avatars tend to be quite distracting (we've had some in the past!), and since we are here to read what others have posted, not to see a site full of avatars (there are other sites for that!), we'd rather have members choose non-animated pictures as their avatars. It's really only supposed to be a visible identification of the person who's writing so that you can recognize others' posts easily.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #244
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Yes, sure. It's ok with me, but I was just asking if it is intentional that one can't upload them anymore.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #245
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
There have been problems with the clock once again. Any chance of fixing it?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #246
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I have brought the problem to the administrators' notice. I hope they will be able to fix it to show the correct time soon; we may need to be patient, if it's a time-consuming task.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #247
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I have brought the problem to the administrators' notice. I hope they will be able to fix it to show the correct time soon; we may need to be patient, if it's a time-consuming task.
Ho-ho-ho!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I gave up with the clock some time ago. I used to wait until the BD clock said 12:00 before posting the news. Now I don't bother.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #248
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Just pointing out that we don't have the calendar for this year.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #249
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry I've been on this forum for over two years now and I still don't know how to do polls. the FAQs are no use. ah disregard I just searched, I don't think I'm important enough to do polls.

Last edited by Elmo; 05-06-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #250
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I hope this is the right place to bring this up!
I recently changed my e-mail address here and set my options for "No e-mail notification" on subscribed threads. Problem is, I'm still getting the e-mails, some twenty or so each day.
It's a minor matter really, just thought I would bring it to someone's attention.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #251
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry, Elmo, but polls are actually limited to very few people. Only the administrators know exactly who may start a poll.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #252
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Can I ask why?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #253
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Sorry, Elmo, but polls are actually limited to very few people. Only the administrators know exactly who may start a poll.
I knew this, but may I ask a further question: it was different before, right? Because I have the vague recollection that I have written a post somewhere with having the option to create a poll but I didn't... Or is my memory somehow cracked?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #254
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

Is it just me or do others see an error message every time that they try to log out and have to click an extra three or four times to do so? Is there any way to fix this?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #255
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
Is it just me or do others see an error message every time that they try to log out and have to click an extra three or four times to do so? Is there any way to fix this?
I got the error message, but all I had to do was click the next time I was prompted to get it done. I hardly ever log out anyway, as no one else in my house is a Downer.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #256
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Anyone knows what's going on?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I've noticed that a few posts disappeared off some different threads over the course of less than 6 hours. It's about 3 or 4 (I'm not really sure) posts - a bit too much in such a short time period to be a coincidence. It didn't seem like there was anything wrong with the posts either...

Also, my smileys are somehow messed up. They work, but they are in a different order than they used to be. It's nothing important, but it sort of gets on my nerves to have them rearranged after you get used to them being in their places...

Is it my computer playing tricks on me again, or does some one else have the same thing?

EDIT: I went through more threads today, and realised that way more posts are missing.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-26-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #257
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I know that deliberately deleted posts can be resurrected since Pio the blessed and merciful bailed me out not so long ago when I accidentally deleted one by accident so is there any chance that they are merely mislaid rather than permanently lost?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #258
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I did read your missing post last evening in the Inn, Mith. But now when I look at that thread, it is well and truly gone - nothing left for me to retrieve.

I noticed we can't rate threads in the game forum, either.

Anyway, I PM'd Mister Underhill to see if maybe he can sort out the glitch.

~*~ Pio
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #259
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thanks for trying Pio. I am quite relieved it did actually exist and it could have been a lot worse - as on the scale of the last time. Guess I had better just get on with the rewrite...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #260
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Got your PM, pio. I don't have a clue what might've happened. Sounds like one of those weird things we've had in the past where the server somehow got out of sync. Assuming only posts made during that window have gone missing and that this isn't an ongoing problem, my guess is that something happened with our hosting service. Either way, BW is really the go-to guy for server problems and/or any possible corruption of the actual forum software. The admins are all rather treeish these days, as you know, but I'm pretty sure BW still checks in on a fairly regular basis. I'll PM him to make sure he has a heads-up too.

In the meantime, continue to report any irregularities here. If there's more stuff, I'll probably break this thread off into a new one. As always when it comes to technical difficulties, the more specific you can be, the better.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #261
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I have also posted a thread, shortly after it happened, here. Some people have also written what happened to them there... (And you admins may decide to move or remove the thread, or put it here, or whatever.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #262
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Another glitch? :(

For the past 48 or so hours something has been happening with the newer posts on my computer. First of all, the names and times of the most recent post appear differently on the main page than on a forum, which in turn is different from the actual post. Secondly, some posts just wouldn't show for some reason (I just posted on the Birthday thread thinking that I'm the first one to congratulate, just to see a few posts that came hours before after I posted).

Am I the only one like this? Is it me going mad or just a problem with the computer/internet/etc?

ETA: I also noticed that on the "who's online" I'm stuck viewing one thread, even though I haven't for the past hour. Something is not right with my computer.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-22-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #263
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Chrome the google

Not really a question about the Downs, but couldn't find a better place to put it. Until recent times, I have been happily using Explorer, and whenever I wanted to bold/italicize/underline something of the Downs, I would click control-B/I/U, like you would on Word, and the magical square brackets would pop out. In the past several weeks, however, half the internet stopped working on Explorer, so I was forced to switch to Google Chrome. And what do I find? I happily type along, without looking at my screen, and when I post it turns out that all my bolds and italics are missing! The CTRL shortcut works in emails, but it does not work on the Downs, and it is really annoying me, as now I either have to make use of the mouse or type in the bracket code by hand. Does anyone know if Chrome has a different shortcut that works on the Downs? I think that if it doesn't, I would just have to use Explorer when I want to post.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #264
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Not really a question about the Downs, but couldn't find a better place to put it. Until recent times, I have been happily using Explorer, and whenever I wanted to bold/italicize/underline something of the Downs, I would click control-B/I/U, like you would on Word, and the magical square brackets would pop out. In the past several weeks, however, half the internet stopped working on Explorer, so I was forced to switch to Google Chrome. And what do I find? I happily type along, without looking at my screen, and when I post it turns out that all my bolds and italics are missing! The CTRL shortcut works in emails, but it does not work on the Downs, and it is really annoying me, as now I either have to make use of the mouse or type in the bracket code by hand. Does anyone know if Chrome has a different shortcut that works on the Downs? I think that if it doesn't, I would just have to use Explorer when I want to post.
I have the same problem, on multiple sites, however, since I never use Explorer, I just assumed it was not programmed into the forum. I don't really find it annoying to use the bracket codes because of how often I use them on other forums, so I'll continue using Chrome.
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #265
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Regarding the forums and subforums, what do we have in place of an 'off topic' area, where we can just spout nonsense, which doesn't necessarily involve Tolkien, or forum games?

There doesn't seem to be a designated crazy place where we can ramble about nonsense.
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #266
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx View Post
Regarding the forums and subforums, what do we have in place of an 'off topic' area, where we can just spout nonsense, which doesn't necessarily involve Tolkien, or forum games?

There doesn't seem to be a designated crazy place where we can ramble about nonsense.
There really isn't such a place here. Although this and the similar 'Orthanc' and 'Mordor' threads can be used to reference pretty much anything, there is no subforum dedicated to non-Tolkien related stuff.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #267
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Until recent times, I have been happily using Explorer
It also works on Firefox!

Quote:

We don't really have an off-topic area - the Assigned to the Shire/Mordor/Orthanc threads on Novices and Newcomers come closest, I think.

edit: xed with Inzil because I shouldn't be posting from work in the first place
Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #268
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
edit: xed with Inzil because I shouldn't be posting from work in the first place
You think I didn't?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #269
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
You think I didn't?
Hahaha good point! Rather I should have been aware how long it took me to compose the post and have checked if somebody else had posted meanwhile!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #270
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

Quote:

This forum has been dedicated solely to discussion of Tolkien; that is one quality which the Barrow Wight insisted upon. Even the werewolf games have been "Tolkienised" or "Middle-earthed". I think that is one quality which differentiated the Downs from other Tolkien forums (fora? ) which waffled away from Tolkien with other topics.

News and information and chit chat--"Site Announcements"--can go in the Barrow Downs forum. http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

And wow, after all the time on Facebook I can still remember how to do links here. Must have spent a fair bit of time here back in the day.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #271
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Oooh, another question about Chrome/Downs. I think I clicked something, and so now instead of displaying the whole thread the page has a box at the top with a list of posts, and it only displays the last one (or one of those that I click from the list with all the later posts that quoted it). Does anyone know how to get rid of that and go back to good old-fashioned full threads?