The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sir Christopher Lee dies at 93

Quote:
Sir Christopher Lee, the screen legend whose career took him from Hammer horror to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and a role as one of the great Bond villains, has died. He was 93.
The veteran actor died at 8.30am on Sunday at London’s Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, sources close to his family said.
He had been treated there for respiratory problems and heart failure over the preceding three weeks and turned 93 in hospital.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...dies-live.html

*raises a glass*

Old 06-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
May his spirit, unlike Sarunan's be accepted into the West.

A truly remarkable man. His Saruman was not as Tolkien wrote him (in the way that Peter Howell's was) but his was nevertheless a commanding performance in a "simplified for film" version of the character. Sad news even after a very long and full life.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
May his soul rest in peace. It's saddening to read this as if I thought he could live forever. He was the only one from the movies who had met Tolkien (if I'm not getting it wrong) and today it seems that "link" that connected past to the present is broken. He'll live forever in our memories through his performances.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
He was a great persona, to be sure. Charismatic, full of experience, and - I can't think now of anyone else at this moment I could say this about - a true gentleman, too, one of those with whom the title "sir" did not seem like an empty honorific title. I'd only wish he'd had the chance to play the "full" Saruman, as it seems it was something he had wanted to do very much. But he certainly left his mark even so.

*bows respectfully to the memory of him*
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #5
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So sorry to hear this. I particularly enjoyed his role in Jinnah.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This is indeed very sad news. Lee was one of my favourite things about the Lord of the Rings films. And though I didn't care for Jackson's The Hobbit films (and I don't think Saruman should have been in them at all), I am glad that Lee lived long enough to appear in them.

On a pleasanter note, it's nice to see you around, Child!
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:11 AM   #7
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
An actor who was a war hero, loved his country, and stayed married to the same woman for 54 years. Imagine that.

And, so, with his passing, the light of Aman dims even more in this world.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
It's saddening to read this as if I thought he could live forever.
This. He seemed to defy time, death and old age to a degree reminiscent of a certain Transsylvanian count's strange ways of always coming back for another movie. I can't remember a time when he wasn't around, and it's hard to imagine the future without him. He was his own monument, but a remarkably lively and mobile one - I don't think anybody watching his performance as Count Dooku in Star Wars would have given him eighty years if they hadn't been told. And he was one of us, a dedicated fan and habitual re-reader of Tolkien's work. Farewell!
Old 06-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Some may not know, since her career has been more in the theatre, is that his niece is the great Shakespearean actor Dame Harriet Walter. Although she is of a much less imposing stature she has a great presence and certain resemblance, particularly the eyes.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 06-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Harriet Walter is his niece!? Well I never.
An amazing Duchess of Malfi. And of course, the definitive Harriet Vane. You're so right about the eyes, Mith.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes, one of those odd snippets of information that stick in my brain, and I have been a huge fan since seeing the Wimsey adaptations when very young. I think the likeness is stronger now she is older. The eyes are remarkable, no doubt a legacy of their Italian mother/grandmother. I seem to recall, Sayers had Wimsey say something on the lines of all the best English people weren't entirely English....
Old 06-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #12
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I was deeply saddened when I heard the news about Christopher Lee's death. I, too, thought he would live forever. As it is, I am glad that we walked the earth for a time together.