The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Question Who/What's your favorite?

Hullo everybody! On this thread, post who your favorite BDer is, and what your favorite thread/post is. I'm not sure wether or not to expect a big turnout, so help me out, please!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Question Hell I don't know

Hmmm... well, Lalaith, I like him/her, he/she has good posts and he/she helped me out with some thing very stupid I didn't know

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...

Last edited by Finwe-89; 02-02-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
Assasin
Wight

Thank you, Finwe!! You posted on this thread!!! I love you!!! not really. But, thanks alot!!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
As a newbie, I don't know dare I say anything... Boromir88 and Fordim Hedgethistle seem to have good points...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Yeah, they have very good posts indeed.

And I love you too Assasin

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Finwe-89
Wight

Wow that's cool

Old 02-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots One is the loneliest number

Frankly, I just cannot imagine narrowing down my friendships and acqaintances and wonderful experiences here at the Barrow Downs to create a short list of "favourite". This place is about personality and literary longing and the politer forms of learning and sharing. It represents possibly the highest form of erudite, internet discussion. How can one character, one personality, be raised above all others when it is the summation of our activities which is so rewarding?

The Barrow Downs is greater than the sum of all its individual members and I for one won't sully that success by attempting to highlight a few memorable achievements. I won't be lured to choose the One Ring. It's the fellowship that counts.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #8
Assasin
Wight

Nice explanation. Yes! I have two other people who posted on my thread!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Frankly, I just cannot imagine narrowing down my friendships and acqaintances and wonderful experiences here at the Barrow Downs to create a short list of "favourite". This place is about personality and literary longing and the politer forms of learning and sharing. It represents possibly the highest form of erudite, internet discussion. How can one character, one personality, be raised above all others when it is the summation of our activities which is so rewarding?

The Barrow Downs is greater than the sum of all its individual members and I for one won't sully that success by attempting to highlight a few memorable achievements. I won't be lured to choose the One Ring. It's the fellowship that counts.

Agreed, whole heartedly, but for one exception:

All Praise the Great and Mighty Barrow Wighty! Praise Him with Great Praise! Let the Word Go Out and May the Trumpets Blare!!!!!

Let us never forget who called the Fellowship together. 'Called' I say, though chance it may seem. . .
Old 02-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #10
Finwe-89
Wight

Boromir88 was the first one that I liked cause of his posts on these forums

Old 02-23-2005, 09:55 AM   #11
ElementFire
Animated Skeleton

ElementFire has just left Hobbiton.
I like a lot of people, Finwe_89, Fea, and.... others..

I don't do kung fu, I do kung lamb!!!
ElementFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 AM   #12
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
My favorites would have to be Boromir88,Firefoot and of course Assasin.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #13
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Gil-Galad is a worthy opponent...

However H-I I would consider the friendliest and most wellspoken Gentle-Hobbit.

Then there's enca wonderful good las she is
Old 02-25-2005, 06:10 AM   #14
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
Let us never forget who called the Fellowship together. 'Called' I say, though chance it may seem. . .
As you yourself have said...
Quote:
Agreed, whole heartedly, but for one exception:
Chance? Chance, you say?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #15
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Everybody that I've RPed and am RPing with are great folks who have enriched my understanding and usage of the beautiful language.

But I must confess that based on quality of work, the one whom I truly admire is Kransha. Every post of his in the RPGs is a gem which I read with awe. He truly is an extraordinary writer.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:10 AM   #16
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

A many thanks Thinlomien and Finwe, it makes me feel good to see that people actually enjoy what I post.

I'm going to spout off a huge list of people, because as Bethberry has said it's just too difficult to pinpoint a few people.

I first of course appreciate all the moderaters and administrators, and RPG mads. I've moderated a few forums in the past and it's not easy work. I tip my hat to the BW and Mr. Underhill for keeping this forum running. Also to Estelyn who has done a great job at getting all them CBC discussion up and started. To Piosenniel, Bethberry, and Child for getting an organized way of RPG's and making sure the games run along smoothly. Good job to all the admins/mods.

I enjoy contending/beating either Hookbill or Gil-Galad (sometimes another person sneaks in) to a Monty Python/Princess Bride quote in the Crazy Captions forum.

To Lal, davem, Eomer of the Rohirrim, littlemanpoet, Kransha, Fordhim, and the many others who have started beautiful discussion topics as well as some thoughtful posts. To SpM for being an avid defenders of the movies and getting me to see the other side of the spectrum, once in a while.

To Mith who I have enjoyed countless amounts of time discussing how stupid football (or in my case cricket) is. As well as many more Monty Python references, my Pythonism partner in Crime I should say.

And to all the newcomers who show an interest in Tolkien's works, and to that of Jackson's, that come here to the downs to share their ideas with the many debatable threads. :Takes breath:
Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Flattery, hmm? Or are you fishing for rep. points Boro? Seriously though, thank you.

My favourites know who they are. And I have a great deal of affection for all the wraiths of this site.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #18
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Ah, and of course, Eomer, I'm one of your favorites. I'm one of everybody's favorites. That's just how the world works.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #19
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Everyone is my favorite. But there are people who's post always make me laugh, like Eomer, LMP, Hookbill, Fea...and many others. Speaking of Fea I had the strangest dream the other night about you, you were a dog and you kept rummaging(sp?) through my garbage bins. It was weird.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #20
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
After weeks of consideration, I've finally come to the conclusion that Feanor of the Peredhil is my favorite.

She is rather intelligent, witty, a good liar (or bad, depending on your viewpoint), a decent writer, and is just an all around great person. Perfect person, actually, if you want to go into details.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #21
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

You are starting to act so much like me it's almost scary, Fea.

A good kind of scary, of course.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #22
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
My favourites know who they are.
How so, Eomer?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:55 AM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Earlier on in this thread, Bethberry posted something quite beautiful. I already gave rep. to it but I wanted to publicly state that the post brings a tear to mine eye. You are so right, dear.

*wipes away tear*

But Lhuna asked how my favourites will know of this special status. Well, here's a breakdown:

1) If you are reduced to an emotional wreck by the very question of whether you are a favourite of mine or not, because the mere thought of not being a favourite of mine sends you careering towards the jaws of despair - you are a favourite.

2) If you are too busy constructing excellent posts or generally having fun on this wonderful website to care whether you are a favourite of mine or not - you are a favourite.

3) If every time you encounter one of my posts and cannot help but think "I wish that Eomer chap would go back to whichever cave he crawled out of because he's awful" - I have a certain agreement with you.

Of course, in some cases it is just painfully obvious that I have the utmost affection for someone; Lhuna is a fine example.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #24
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yes! I qualify as a favourite! Oh, blast...that moves me from criterion 2 to the less stylish criterion 1...
Old 05-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #25
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
How can one character, one personality, be raised above all others when it is the summation of our activities which is so rewarding?
No one is asking you to put down everyone else. Just pick one. Or a few. Or give us a new one each week...it's just about sharing different things you've enjoyed. How could you love it so much, but refuse to pick out various instances of why? Not looking for the definitive list.

I've always been a fan of Sharku's posts...they are normally short, but still find a way to address the point enough, and soundly so. Ironically, I was just looking through his posts in the Books and the first one I found that I liked was definitely one of his longer ones, on the "'Canonicity': the Book or the Reader?" thread.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Flattery, hmm? Or are you fishing for rep. points Boro? Seriously though, thank you.
It is seriously flattering but he should be aware that anyone who shows me a modicum of interest, flattery or kindness these days risks being suspected of lycanthropy... and Boromir does have a rather wolfish looking avatar in Mr WB Coyote.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #27
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

*wolf whistles at Mith*
Old 05-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #28
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Vague directness or direct vagueness.

My favorite is you. Yes, you. *points*
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #29
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I posted right before Enca, so it's quite obvious she means me.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:49 PM   #30
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Shouldn't...say this...can't...resist...

Quote:
It is seriously flattering but he should be aware that anyone who shows me a modicum of interest, flattery or kindness these days risks being suspected of lycanthropy
And justifiably so...apparently.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #31
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I posted right before Enca, so it's quite obvious she means me.
You're wrong. I meant that other person. Over there. *points again*

But you know who I can't stand? That Enca chick. I mean, come on. She's such a freak, with those creepy avatars and her old-man-crushes and the fact that she really only pretends to know what's going on. And that Grima obsession? Ew. What a loser.

Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:02 AM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
And justifiably so...apparently.

YesI would have been so much less suspicious if you hadn't repped me.... and all that waiting for me to speak was creepy... but I didn't know you well enough to know that isn't how you are.... :P

Aiiee perhaps Boromir is a werewolf...... Oh what big teeth you have

Old 05-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #33
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
Didn't get me any, so what's that tell you? But, sincerely it was coming from the heart. Despite my wolfish avatar (ahem Mith) I do have a heart.

And also, Mith, Mr. Wile E. Coyote soots my personality well don't you think? I mean he does like to blow things up.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:06 PM   #34
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Despite my wolfish avatar (ahem Mith) I do have a heart
That won't save you from being suspected based on your avatar if you ever play the new(ish) werewolf game.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #35
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
Of course, in some cases it is just painfully obvious that I have the utmost affection for someone; Lhuna is a fine example.
Now it's my turn to get teary-eyed. *wipes away tear*
Old 06-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Didn't get me any, so what's that tell you? But, sincerely it was coming from the heart. Despite my wolfish avatar (ahem Mith) I do have a heart.

And also, Mith, Mr. Wile E. Coyote soots my personality well don't you think? I mean he does like to blow things up.

I never accused you of heartlessness - merely possibly of being affected by hirsutism and toothiness according to the lunar cycle

And is the soot from the explosions, Rocketman?

Old 06-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #37
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
I must say that my favorite person on this Forum has been Bethberry. She's been ploughing through all variety of compliments and insults for all of the four and one-half years I've been coming (on and off) to this forum. I don't know how many of you also visit the Chatroom, but she's also had to endure some pretty hurtful people on there, as well. She seems to take it all so gracefully, though - never doling out unfair punishment simply because of something said to her. Now that I've been visiting other Forums as well as this one, I've tried to take the chat and board etiquette that she so gracefully exhibits and translate it for myself.

I guess I kind of consider her to be a mother-like figure as well. Certainly, as a moderator and operator, she demands a certain amount of respect, but she also displays caring for her "wards," which is often a very fitting term for what a lot of us are. I'll admit that when I first came here, I was a little obnoxious fangirl. I like to think that I am not these days, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bethberry is also the one that pushed me with my Roleplaying. Seemingly coming hand-in-hand with every fangirl is a little annoying Mary-Sue fall-back character for her to RP with. I won't linger too long on this, but I think some people remember good old Menelduliniel - the character I've been trying so hard to forget and live down in my own mind. Bethberry pushed me to expand - to take on new characters. I regret that I didn't have time to run my own RPG when she pushed me to do so - I think with her help, it would have run beautifully. She saw that I did have some talent somewhere in there as a writer - I have always written short stories and the like - and rather than discouraging me for my novice RP'ing skills, she helped me develop them - I learned how to interact with other people on a game, that I wasn't the only one there...however, at the same time, I also learned how to use more force on the games. For a while, I was absolutely terrified of mentioning other people's characters in my posts, for fear that I may do something slightly out of character and wreck the game for them.

To be honest, the person I always hope to see on when I return here - or when I go to the chat - is Bethberry. She also has always remembered me and welcomed me back. Also, she's the one that, when I do visit again, encourages me to become more of a regular again. I will probably give in very, very soon (hopefully right now is my official return)...and I really want to RP again, if that's okay with her.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #38
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I love reading the Crazy Captions posts of especially Eomer, Meela, Lalwende, & Mithalwen. Funny & original, as I've said different times & in different places on these forums. And I suppose I should mention the phantom, though I suppose he probably already assumes he's everyone's favorite (everyone includes me).
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:39 PM   #39
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

My favorite is anyone who trusts me enough to send me their picture for the photo page... hehe. So, I guess the rest of you better get crackin' if you're not on that list... not that it needs to be a goal in life to be one of my favorites.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:11 AM   #40
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Eek. *TGWBS is put on the spot*

Let's see. Fea, or Enca, or Eomer. Whichever happens to be reading this, actually. I can't really choose between them, because almost every post of theirs makes me collapse in hysterics.

Hmmm. I know Eomer and Fea have fanclubs... where's Enca's?

Ahem. The rest of you are great too. I merely have a tendency to get attached to people who make me laugh.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote