The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up Ghost Posts: Lines with a longer shelf-life than most thread elements

Have you ever had a good, hearty laugh when rereading old threads? Have you found a line or two that, though they be tarnished in the bottom of the barrow, could sparkle with wit on a new bosom, er, thread? Maybe the original context makes them funny, and they might crumble when brought up into the air here, but I really enjoyed these lines from Squatter and the everlong, everlovely Marileangorifurnimaluim . The thread was Thanks, Mr. Underhill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amended Rude
Please forgive my ignorance, but what do "rampid" and "obsurdidly" mean? I'm by no means clear about "flourshing" either. Perhaps this is an elaborate form of Nevbosh and the joke's on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hobbit Sex Educator

As far as spelling is concerned, I only bother to spell correctly when I want people to listen to and respect what I have to say. I use a dictionary wherever spell-crutch isn't available. It takes time, but keeps me from being teased.
Which post was in a different league than this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelling Agonistes
I think there's nothing more satisfying than a freshly mown Forum, don't you agree?

I think the thought-provoking threads were there all along, they were just lost in the overgrown weeds.

BTW, Esty also found 14 baseballs, a tennis racket without any strings, one Nike shoe (left foot), a slightly moldering croquet set, an unadorned gold ring, a deflated soccer ball and a bra (if it's yours, we shall return it, no questions asked. Honest. We don't want to know).

Feanaro - uhm, you could make millions off the answer to this question: how does one avoid a fart in an elevator? Enquiring minds want to know.

-Maril
I do hope this isn't a case of "you had to be there" and do I hope this thread won't delve for balrogs rather than gems.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 02-21-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:26 AM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Then there is this very venerable old thread which certainly had an extensive shelf life, particularly among those who were around in the early years: The One Ring .

Rarely were Mister Underhill and Sharkű found to be such form! Although the entire thread merits close reading, particular attention should be paid to Mister Underhill's Post #17. Our DreadHorseman rides an idea superbly! And after the first furlough, Our Old Man takes up the whip and puts the race into a neck and neck chase with Post #23 . Some of the contributions from other Downers such as OneWhiteTree, mfenwick, Marileangorifurnimaluim turned the race into a veritable steeplechase.

This, ladies and gentleman, is a Barrow Downs Classic.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Tolkien Musae planguntur

What rough beast slouched toward BethelDowns?

Once again, Mister Underhill and The Squatter go mano e mano, this time with The Mirrorbell Man: New Republic Article .

We can't have this argument often enough it seems.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Great idea, Bęthberry! I hope more of us forum "oldies" chip in their favourites. You already mentioned "The One Ring?" thread, my all-time favourite. I'd like to contribute another good discussion: What's With this Always Going Underground. Though a number of the posts are very good, the peak comes when Sharkű goes Freudian in post #10 on this thread:
Quote:
It's sexual symbolism, I tell you!!
He goes on to say that his comment is ironic, but we know better...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote