The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #41
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
This thread reminds me (at least in some of the direction it has gone) of another that discussed how "real" people were behind their screennames - as in, how much they behaved as themselves rather than trying to be someone else.
With some people, it seems to me, the opposite happens: you can see more of someone's "true self", so to speak, then xe would reveal in RL. At least, that can be the case with the painfully shy and geeky types like... um... Mac, for instance. I wasn't, of course, referring to myself (remember, this may be a triple bluff...).

I have never repped under another name, nor have I ever attempted to avoid double-posting in any way (in fact, I take some pride in it). I have repped anonyomously...

As for fighting for reps, I used to have a bit of that mentality, but these days I'm actually kind of embarrassed by my place on the member list. There are so many people listed below me who deserve to be ranked higher, and I think my reputation has been padded by werewolf-related reps, which always feel a little ill-gotten to me. Perhaps posts in Books should be worth more points per rep? I hate to see more serious posters rated lower than a dabbler like myself.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #42
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
I have never repped under another name, nor have I ever attempted to avoid double-posting in any way (in fact, I take some pride in it).
When you double-post, is it within a few moments of your first post, or is it after the thread had clearly died?

Quote:
I have repped anonyomously...
Ah, ya...me too. Actually, not only do I rep both signed and anonymously, I rep using other people's names...and on threads on which I never seem to post... Anyway, just assume that if you've gotten a rep in the past few years, it was probably from me.

You're welcome.

Quote:
As for fighting for reps, I used to have a bit of that mentality, but these days I'm actually kind of embarrassed by my place on the member list. There are so many people listed below me who deserve to be ranked higher, and I think my reputation has been padded by werewolf-related reps, which always feel a little ill-gotten to me. Perhaps posts in Books should be worth more points per rep? I hate to see more serious posters rated lower than a dabbler like myself.
I can't help but think that this is some new ploy, as I'm immediately drawn to see where you stand in the rankings, and as you've made both a self-deprecating remark while including praise for other higher ranked members...well, we will see where that goes.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
...trained economist...
Is that one of them oxymorons?
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #44
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Try getting a sproglet, you'll soon forget about getting reps I was top all that time and now I have not the foggiest where I am! In any case, I've been obsessing and geeking out over other stuff than Tolkien lately *the horror!* so I've not ruddy well earned any!!!

As to posting on threads to keep them going, well I don't do that except to add to my own if I think of something interesting to add - I don't mind talking to myself, I'm half mad anyway, but I have found myself posting on some of davem's threads when there's not a lot else being posted on them simply because we have discussed them at home and so you post up your thoughts. Also sometimes I post on them just to argue with him