The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf Tolkien-themed tea blends

Some of you may know Adagio Teas, famous for its fandom blends. We all know how well a nice cup of tea goes with a book, so I decided to look up their various Tolkien blends. Slightly expensive but hey, I know you folks pay ridiculous sums for first editions and other stuff you can only enjoy externally. If you ever order something, please share your experiences!

I'm personally somewhat tempted by the Curufin, Fili, and Thorin & Company blends.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

I think I know what you're going to get for your birthday.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
There is no way that I'll be kept away from these!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am getting the Eomer and Eowyn blends for sure. Not only are they two of my favorite characters, but apricot and peaches? Yes please!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
We have boxes and boxes of Adagio teas in this house but nary a Bilbo blend. Mycroft, Watson and Mrs. Hudson are prominent. (And no, not ordered by me)
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think Mordor tea has long existed under the name Lapsang Souchong. Tastes all of ash and smoke to me.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hahaha! That's a good point. I like Lapsang Souchong though, but then again the last personality test I took scored me as Sauron.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I wonder which part of Middle Earth equates to Assam? Though Shire Breakfast Tea is probably fine..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
If lapsang souchong comes from China, but it is Mordor's tea, and Assam tea comes from India, then in Middle-earth terms it probably comes from Gondor. The Shire doesn't strike me as the proper environment tho grow tea in, they would have had too get their tea from the south, and over the Misty Mountains. It's a wonder that hobbits could afford tea in the first place!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

The hobbits also grow tobacco so why not tea? I can see them growing tea in southern Gondor though - Lebennin and Belfalas maybe.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Alas! The Saul Zaentz Company has hit Adagio with a restraining order over copyright issues and so they have temporarily withdrawn all Tolkien-themed teas.

Adagio Teas on Twitter

Tumblr Adagio teas

I just might be the last person to have got some, since daughter ordered this for me just before my birthday.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Wow. And some say the Estate is too strict on licensing! At least their motives are likely to derive from more than greed.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Apparently Adagio has withdrawn the teas temporarily while they try to see if they can find a way legally to provide fan-made blends. This really started as fans trying to make mixes that matched their favourite characters, so it isn't like the company started it.

Aganzir, I've tried the Sleeping Dragon (which is not part of the Tolkien fandom blends) and quite enjoyed it. Most of them were black tea-based and I wanted some green teas, which is what inspired my choices. Once daughter and I agree on water temp and brewing time I'll try the others.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Wow. And some say the Estate is too strict on licensing! At least their motives are likely to derive from more than greed.
Ditto.

Ridiculous business. Seriously, Saul Zaentz, seriously?

How natural are their teas, B-berry? Is it actual blends, or do most include artificial flavouring? I'm not a friend of the latter myself because it makes everything taste the same.