The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Corsair_Caruso
Haunting Spirit

Corsair_Caruso has just left Hobbiton.
Doing research at the Wade Center!

Hey, everybody! Sorry about my long absence. I wanted to share my recent activities at the Marion E. Wade Center. I'm currently writing my dissertation on Donald Swann's song cycle, The Road Goes Ever On, and I'm up here in Wheaton, Illinois reading Tolkien's correspondence with Donald Swann. I'm really enjoying my time here, and it's so fascinating getting to see Tolkien's own handwriting.

I've actually been able to help correct some errors in the Wade Center's transcripts of these letters, including deciphering some of Tolkien's less legible marginalia and some incorrect Tengwar!

I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for (specifically, materials relating to Tolkien's instructions that he gave to Swann concerning Elvish pronunciation and issues with the Namárië chant), but that's alright; there are lots of great materials up here, especially recordings. It's really been a treat.
Corsair_Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Good to hear from you!

It's good to read what you've been doing in the Marion E. Wade Center, Corsair_Caruso! I'm one of those here who have written about music and Tolkien; and I've no doubt that many more will also be interested in your research into The Road Goes Ever On.

I laughed when I read that you were able 'to help correct some errors in the Wade Center's transcripts of these letters, including deciphering some of Tolkien's less legible marginalia and some incorrect Tengwar!'.

Your reference to the 'lots of great materials' there illustrates the dangers of research; you can come across lots of interesting information, that sadly you can't use in what you're writing... That's happened in any research I've done.

I also think when involved in research of Samuel Johnson's saying, 'The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book'.

All the best!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote