The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Silmaril Admin Thread for WWLXX: At the Prison of Ice

At the beginning I would like to point out that I have never been a devout supporter of these "green" movements which have become so popular especially in the last few decades. Indeed I have belonged to what you could perhaps call a "moderate" group of people, and certainly I haven't been one of those who would initiate any large-scale action on my own. But nowadays I feel obliged to speak out and press on the governments and companies to do whatever is in their power to prevent global warming. I am also afraid that it might be already too late.

The reason for my abrupt change of mind requires longer elaboration, however I will try to present it here in full to prove the necessity of making decisive steps now. Despite all contrary evidence presented by some researchers, it is a fact that the process of global climate change of our planet is going on and I am afraid of where it may lead us. The warming of the seas and the melting of polar ice caps is but first of the grievances humanity will have to face. I would like to turn even to those who deny the impact of human factor on global warming, difference of opinions aside, if there is even a slight chance that human activity can influence the process, it is necessary to take measurements to prevent the melting of the polar ice caps before it is too late.

The events I wish to report herein – events most disturbing in their nature and their possible implications – concern the Arctic expedition I have undergone along with several others during the last polar season. These facts have been this far unknown to wide public and despite my reluctance to share them, not least out of fear that especially some of them may be overlooked or attributed to charlatanry, I have decided to make a true account of everything.

Welcome to the admin thread for Tol-in-Gaurhoth LXX: At the Prison of Ice, which is another of the traditional series of Werewolf games which probably all of you are familiar with – although this game is open also to those who haven't been playing the game yet, if such ones appeared here. This game should be suitable also for complete beginners, as its rules will be relatively simple, basic, and without any major changes as to what is "common", except for two or three minor things, which will be mentioned below. But I hope this game will be suitable for you whether you are looking for an easy, not too stressing game with known roles or whether you wish to have something slightly untraditional there. It should be able to provide both, not wandering into completely uncharted regions of wild games with dozens of rules, but at the same time not falling into the completely "boring" routine.

The main purpose of this game, of course, is Werewolf hunting (or deceiving the innocents, if you are a Werewolf). And this is what I am aiming for. Unlike my previous games (WWXXXV: Werewolves Among the Wolf-Men and WWXLV: The Fellowship of Saruman), where roleplaying was the major factor, in this game (maybe to somebody's disappointment) there will be none and it will be just a simple game like all the others. This is partially because I doubt I could come up again with something as good as the Fellowship of Saruman was (that does not mean I would give up on roleplaying altogether, though). But my hope is that for those who wish to experience some aesthetic aspect in the game apart from the Werewolfing itself the theme will provide something like that too.

As for the game's theme, as you can see here, it concerns a rather unfortunate fate of one polar expedition. I am not going to speak on length about the theme itself here, you will soon read more on the game thread itself and also in the upcoming narrations during the game. Sufficient to say, you should not be, and I hope you will not be disappointed. As players, you can pick in-story roles, if you wish, to associate yourselves with the members of the expedition.

The summary of the rules follows below.

PLAYERS

Inziladun - meteorologist
Mnemosyne - field medic
Boromir88 - look it up below, I am too lazy to copypaste
Eomer of the Rohirrim - sea pilot
Loslote - rich funder's spoiled daughter
Morsul - federal grants lawyer
Brinn - polar bear biologist
Pitchwife - marine biologist
Nienna - navigator
Nogrod - old palaeoecologist who is perhaps archaic himself but still not archaic enough not to remember his hyper-long title, sorry Boro
Macalaure - palaeomathematician
sally - the p.w.r.c.u.w.t.p.f.t.w.t.b.w.s-d.c.b.h.p.a.n.i.a.g.p.m.a.v.b.b.n.o.a.n.a.h.u.a.s. p.m.k.e.
Thinlómien - whale expert
Nerwen - mechanic
Roa - survival guide
Bes - room/store manager
Shasta - sled dog handler
wilwa
Greenie - senior assitant to Lommy *innocent look*
tromkehra - cook/bartender
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 11-29-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote