The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
Makar

Makar has just left Hobbiton.
Lassaraukar

This may have been mentioned by someone before, but I am curious about the Lassaraukar. I have found them on the web in a couple of places, but none of them provide a reference as to which work they were mentioned in. I am making a modified D&D campaign and I am compiling a list of monsters from Tolkien and I came accross this. Can anyone help me?
Makar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This thread is the only one I found about it here on the 'Downs on a quick search. It seems to be a role-playing invention, rather than a Tolkien invention, though I could be wrong. I've never heard of them before.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I took a quick look into Foster's Complete Guide to Middle-Earth as well as my big German Tolkien Encyclopedia and found no reference to 'lassaraukar' in either, so I would assume that they are indeed an invention and do not originate in Tolkien's writings.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
A_Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

A_Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to A_Brandybuck Send a message via AIM to A_Brandybuck
I doubt as the rest here, that there exists some "lassaraukar" in the original writings.
The word himself seems to be generated from "original" Quenya words and perhaps means "Leaf-demons" . Based on the word "lasse", which means leaf and "rauco" (pl. "raukar"), which means "demon".

I doubt, that the word-creation is original from Tolkien, because the using of the word "lasse" (if it should really mean "leaf") in the word "lassaraukar" fits not the Quenya-grammar. The word should have been "lasseraukar" ("Leaf-demons", nominativus) or "lasseoraukar" ("demons of leaf", genetivus).
Or in plural: "lassiraukar" (nom.) or lassionraukar (gen.).
Old 02-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Shield New meaning

Translated another name for the Legolas fangirls?
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote