The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2004, 08:19 AM   #1
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
King Arthur to Valinor

I was thinking about how at the end of the book that is the official Arthurian legend, a wounded King Arthur got onto a raft and floated downstream to an island where he was healed and I think he decided to stay there. (In old versions of the story told by the Saxons they were hoping that someday he would come back and drive out the Normans but that ended as the society became more intergrated.)
I bring this up because how some have made a connection between Merlin and one of the blue wizards. Do you think that there was some sort of connection between Valinor and the fate of Arthur?
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
turgon
Haunting Spirit

turgon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril interesting

That is something I have pondered myself. I have always been curious as to the fate of the blue wizards.Are you suggesting arthur was the last of the fading numenorean bloodline?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Avalonnë

There is some discussion relevant to this issue on this thread:

What's the Big Deal With the Undying Lands?

Although, please ignore my crazed Avalon=Numenor ravings, which were the product of an addled mind.

More pertinent is the following comment made, appropriately, by Guinevere in post #12:

Quote:
And as for Aman beeing something like Avalon: I think you are right, Aethelwine, because the westernmost haven on Tol Erëssea is actually called "Avalonnë" !
And Frodo's departure has alway reminded me a bit of the departure of the injured king Arthur in a boat (with Morgan le Fay and 2 other women), supposedly to be healed in Avalon...