The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #41
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Sunday sounds absolutely wonderful to me!

The line up is just lovely!!! Fun times...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #42
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm interested in playing, though between work, interning, and a social life (yes I do have one now), my participation will be minimal. Which means don't expect any sort of long analysis posts from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
Fine. I shall play too--provided the game starts no later than Thursday next week. If it does, I have to back out.
Can I second that request for the game not to start until later in the week? I'm being temporarily kicked out of my apartment Monday through Friday and will have to share a computer for the time being. If you do start earlier, I guess I wouldn't have to back out, but don't plan on seeing anymore than one to two posts per Day from me.

So if you'll have me, I'm in...as the goth kid everyone's afraid of, of course. I love playing dark and scary.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #43
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Actually, Brinn, that's a request to start earlier rather than later--well, in the perfect window, actually, since I'm needy. And 'cause I'm gone this weekend. If the game starts Thursday or later, I have to pull out--that's getting too close to start of my all-too-soon school year.

Sorry, I'm already useless for a united front... and we aren't even in-game yet.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 AM   #44
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The mods and at least a few of the players already know that my life just went insane (on top of the rest of the stuff happening next week, I was informed yesterday that my new job starts Monday instead of the 17th), so...

I'm still in, but please remember I'll be at work all day before you kill me for low participation.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #45
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Meh, I must've been tired; I always read things wrong. Which means I'll probably be lousy in this game.

But if the game started Thursday, that'd be perfect, or even Wednesday. If the game does start Sunday, there will be 2 1/2 Days where I'll barely be able to participate. Just warning everyone, so they don't complain about me or anything...
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #46
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
So to clear up confusion: Game, as I intend it, shall start Sunday night at 1 AM Eastern. Roles shall go out tomorrow.

Brinn, if you still want to play I would love to have you. And Fea, yay job starting but boo job starting. At least your start date no longer sounds like a due date.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #47
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
So to clear up confusion: Game, as I intend it, shall start Sunday night at 1 AM Eastern. Roles shall go out tomorrow.
Yay! Can't wait!

Quote:
And Fea, yay job starting but boo job starting. At least your start date no longer sounds like a due date.
Oh dear. Is someone delivering ducks again? 'Cause it was funny the first time, but now....
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #48
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Oh dear. Is someone delivering ducks again? 'Cause it was funny the first time, but now....
No, I just commented the other day when I was talking with Fea about what was going to happen when I get into Boston how when they told her her job was going to start sounded more like a due date than an actual date.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #49
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
No, I just commented the other day when I was talking with Fea about what was going to happen when I get into Boston how when they told her her job was going to start sounded more like a due date than an actual date.
Heh. I'll believe it. And it wouldn't make any sense anyway (for Fea to be delivering ducks, that is) because I'm the Mother Duck....er, I mean, that was several games ago.

*snickers with Mira*

Anyway I can't wait for the game to start. Are you guys looking for more people or is it going to be another smaller game? And is it Sunday yet?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #50
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Heh. I'll believe it. And it wouldn't make any sense anyway (for Fea to be delivering ducks, that is) because I'm the Mother Duck....er, I mean, that was several games ago.

*snickers with Mira*

Anyway I can't wait for the game to start. Are you guys looking for more people or is it going to be another smaller game? And is it Sunday yet?
Heh heh... loves it.

We're waiting to hear from two people in particular (to Facebook!) but otherwise I think we have enough to start. That being said, we won't close sign ups just yet (not that I've actually run this by Lari yet).
Old 07-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #51
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira View Post
We're waiting to hear from two people in particular (to Facebook!) but otherwise I think we have enough to start. That being said, we won't close sign ups just yet (not that I've actually run this by Lari yet).
No you haven't...FAIL. But it sounds legit.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #52
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Note to all players: As it seems that this is as many as I'm going to get(one person is trying to stay off the internet) I would like to announce that if anyone else would like to sign up they have until 11:30 PM Pacific time tonight. After that sign ups are closed.

Furthermore roles will be sent out tomorrow before 2:30 Pacific. The game thread shall be posted. Night 1 shall begin then, at 10 PM Pacific. That means the Seer can send me his/her Night dream and the Were-Librarians can begin planning.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #53
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Officially sign ups are now closed.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #54
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

So just to clarify. Does the game start this (Saturday) evening? Or Sunday?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #55
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

I noticed I'm not on the player list. Am I still in?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #56
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sally: Playing, as in posting, starts Sunday Night.

Brinn: That was me not doing a good job of adding people. You're playing if you want, I knew there was something I forgot to do yesterday....
Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #57
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Okay cool. Just checking. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #58
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yup, I came to realize what my idea of "game starting" might not be the same as others ideas of "game starting" so I tried to clarify.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #59
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roles are officially out everyone! Night 1 shall begin when the thread is posted tonight.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #60
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Way to go me for being anti-social and not getting around to introducing myself until now. At least my internet didn't crap out on me like last time...

Can I be the nurse who never sleeps? As for the kind of kid I was ten years ago...anti-cheerleader kinda says it all. (Lari, not a word!)
Old 08-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #61
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I forgot to give myself an in-game role. So:

*sigh* You know, this reunion is a total nostalgia trip for me... and painful too.

High school was by far the best time of my life; it's been downhill since then. My grades may not have been anything to cheer about, but wasn't I cute? All my friends were sure I was going to be the next top model, or maybe a film star. (Not that I could act– in fact I rather looked down on the nerdy theatre kids.)

But somehow that just didn't work out. I'm vague about what my actual job is. Maybe I work in a checkout... maybe I'm a stripper... You can ask, but I'll never quite tell you. I'll always try to make it sound a lot more glamourous than it is, though– I'll be darned if I'm going to lose face in front of all you geeks who went to college.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #62
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
For my career in the game I guess I am something successful, not sure what though. As for in high school I will go with what I am. I am the loner who is a jerk and pretty much hates everyone around him.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:37 AM   #63
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

I'm just saying....

....that I'm a bit thick. I voted Nienna but didn't actually retract my vote for Nerwen, so it was never technically a tie in the first place. Go me.

Yes, I felt the need to share that with you all. Have a great game everyone!

~~Sally~~
Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 AM   #64
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
....that I'm a bit thick. I voted Nienna but didn't actually retract my vote for Nerwen, so it was never technically a tie in the first place. Go me.
Never mind. I did the exact same thing last time I was a wolf.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #65
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I would like to apologize both for not posting a whole lot and for well sort of role playing. My only experience prior to this game was The Cottage of Lost Play one but I think that was different than the usual WW game. Now that I understand better how it works I can play the game properly. Once again I am sorry.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #66
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And that is why I need to triple check votes. I thought I got everyone, saw a tie, and then picked...so I guess Fate(or whatever) knew about what I missed.

Also fail Mira for sleeping through texts.

Hakon: You're doing fine. Being a newbie doesn't go away for awhile, it took me a few to be able to get the hang of it properly.

Last edited by Lariren Shadow; 08-04-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Lariren Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #67
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Once again, Lari, thanks for a fabulous narration!!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #68
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And that is why I need to triple check votes. I thought I got everyone, saw a tie, and then picked...so I guess Fate(or whatever) knew about what I missed.

Also fail Mira for sleeping through texts.

Hakon: You're doing fine. Being a newbie doesn't go away for awhile, it took me a few to be able to get the hang of it properly.
Wow I should definitely not go to bed before deadline. Slash shouldn't sleep through texts. Still don't know how that happened.

As for the newbie thing, it USED to be that newbies got a three (?) day grace period to get a handle on the game, but that kinda died recently.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #69
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
newbies got a three (?) day grace period to get a handle on the game, but that kinda died recently.
Three? For real? If that's true, it's generous. As a general rule, newbies always get Day 1 to get their feet on the ground, and the only leeway they get in following days comes in a benefit-of-the-doubt sort of way. If you're behaving suspiciously, you're fair game.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #70
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Three? For real? If that's true, it's generous. As a general rule, newbies always get Day 1 to get their feet on the ground, and the only leeway they get in following days comes in a benefit-of-the-doubt sort of way. If you're behaving suspiciously, you're fair game.
I think that's what it was when I started playing. I could very easily be mistaken though (aka would not be surprised if I was).
Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #71
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Are you allowed to quote the narrations to back up your reasoning? If that is so then I know a way to help rule out a whole lot of people from being suspects.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #72
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
You can, but usually the moderator narrations have nothing to do with people's roles, it's just an interesting part of the game. That is something that is taken from the traditional 'Mafia/WW' card game if you've ever played it with friends.

3-day grace periods? 1 day graces...eh...there's always another game.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #73
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Are you allowed to quote the narrations to back up your reasoning? If that is so then I know a way to help rule out a whole lot of people from being suspects.
I co-modded a game with the phantom wherein we very carefully wrote the narrations to include hints toward a final revelation at the end (that the bad guys were, in fact, the good guys), but it had very little, if anything, to do with the actual in-game play.

And I once modded a game where I more or less lied my way through the narrations, leading the village to believe that they were still in search of the final wolf when in fact they'd killed my beloved bad guys off in two days flat, so I led them through a systematic massacre of themselves, picking players at random during the Night phase to keep up the charade. I called the game Blind Luck and didn't so much leave hints in the narration as used my status as mod to make everybody believe they still needed to work.

But typically mod's tend to leave the playing to the players, and the narrations are carefully written to avoid leaving even accidental hints.

You can try quoting the narration if you want, but nobody's really going to pay attention to it unless a mod has specifically mentioned that there are hints in the writing.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #74
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Okay. It is just that in the narration for this game, the gender of two wolves is given away. One is female and that one was obviously Sally and one is male. Anyway I am just thinking there are some things in there that might be useful. Also Fea leading them on a hunt like that sounds fun. Shame I wasn't around for that specific game.

Boro, I get it. My grace period has ended.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #75
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It's also usually not permitted to post on the admin thread, to discuss the game during the 'night phase' unless you need to tell people whether you will be away for something/can't be active for a certain day.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #76
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon: Yes, I did give the wolves genders, but it was convinient for what I was writing to give them genders. Yes, Sally is a girl and a wolf, but that doesn't mean I don't have an all female wolf pack. I just decided to be fair with the genders. Also, unlike Fea, I don't have any clues in here.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #77
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I went and posted a quick "I'm here and reading" before I noticed who had died. (has now been deleted though)

My point for bringing this up: even avid long time WW players make mistakes.

Have a fun game!!! Anyone who survives gets to adopt a few of my kids.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #78
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I hate number generators, so unfair

Hehe, I'm just messing, just give me an honourable death...for a wolf as honorable for a wolf you can make a death.

Edit: woah that last phrase makes no sense..hmph oh well
Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #79
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Sorry for not voting– I just couldn't get back before the deadline.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #80
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So Boro, was your death honorable enough? Figured it didn't get much better than a samurai sword.