The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Arathorn111
Pile O'Bones

Arathorn111 has just left Hobbiton.
Born of Hope

I've read the books more than twice and seen the official movies ten times but I'm still most moved by the fan film "Born of Hope". I just wonder if someonelse likes it as much as I do or at least consider it as the most emotional film about the LOTR.
Arathorn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I liked it a lot. I didn't expect to since I am not a great fan of the films but I thought it was intelligent and well done given the limited resources..maybe because of the limited resources

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Arathorn111
Pile O'Bones

I have a hate love relationship to the films, I love a lot about them, they are well made and so on. But I still hate the parts that differs from the books. However Born of Hope I just love, especially considering the budget.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
I liked it too. Talk about dying super young for a King. Arathorn was short-lived indeed.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Wousides
Newly Deceased

Wousides has just left Hobbiton.
I like it. A very good little film..
Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I liked the film when I saw it (~2 years ago). I only discovered it because of a thread here on the Downs, but just now I couldn't find the thread. If someone remembers what it was called or where it was mentioned?...

Edit: Ha! I knew Erendis had something to do with it! In your face, search engines! Here you go: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16045
Old 05-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand I enjoyed it

I enjoyed the film very much, and wish the people involved had access to a fraction of the amount of money Peter Jackson was given. They'd have done a better job in adapting LotR and The H!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Arathorn111
Pile O'Bones

To anyone who haven't seen the film, go watch it. It's available on youtube and on bornofhope.com and it's amazing. I normally hate to promote things but everyone should see it.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #9
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Born of Hope

Born of Hope is an excellent short. I prefer to watch this again over the PJ fanfics.

A few thoughts on it... the general storyline was pretty good, and the Orcs were quite good. I thought the other actors did quite well as far as trying to fill out the characters. If I have to mention a rough spot, it would be director Kate Madison's character Elgarain when she goes "oh..." when she finds Arathorn & Gilraen together. The whole 'love triangle' was a bit predictable,, but unlike PJ attempt in both LotR & even more so in the Hobbit, this one works, even if it was a bit cliche. Other than that bit, I really liked the character Elgarain, and Kate Madison played the part quite well on top of directing this film. I do think they got Arador wrong age-wise. With the generations if Chieftains before Arador (Argonui, Arathorn II, Arassuil) all being Chieftain for around 65 years, Arador was Chieftain for only 18 years, so I would have expected his part to be played by a younger man. Still, a great short film. I liked this one better than Hunt for Gollum.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
I do think they got Arador wrong age-wise. With the generations if Chieftains before Arador (Argonui, Arathorn II, Arassuil) all being Chieftain for around 65 years, Arador was Chieftain for only 18 years, so I would have expected his part to be played by a younger man. Still, a great short film. I liked this one better than Hunt for Gollum.
Gilrean was born around 2907 TA & at that time Arador was about 87. So when they wed in 2929 he'd have been around 109. The Chieftains were a little longer lived than the Southern Dúnedain. When Denethor was around Arador's age he was already looking old, although his cares wore on him due to confrontations with Sauron.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:39 AM   #11
Snowdog

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
Gilrean was born around 2907 TA & at that time Arador was about 87. So when they wed in 2929 he'd have been around 109. The Chieftains were a little longer lived than the Southern Dúnedain. When Denethor was around Arador's age he was already looking old, although his cares wore on him due to confrontations with Sauron.
Given the age of the half-dozen or so Chieftains before Arador being in the range of 155-160 years, and many were killed as opposed to laying down their life in old age, a 110 year old Arador would appear, to me at least, younger than he was portrayed in Born of Hope.

Also, the ages of the half-dozen or so Stewards of Gondor rarely reached 100 years. In my opinion, the unmingled and unbroken Line of Elendil, and that of the Stewards of Gondor can't really be compared.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Given the age of the half-dozen or so Chieftains before Arador being in the range of 155-160 years, and many were killed as opposed to laying down their life in old age, a 110 year old Arador would appear, to me at least, younger than he was portrayed in Born of Hope.

Also, the ages of the half-dozen or so Stewards of Gondor rarely reached 100 years. In my opinion, the unmingled and unbroken Line of Elendil, and that of the Stewards of Gondor can't really be compared.
I agree he would "appear" younger, but I was responding to your statement that "they got Arador wrong age-wise". I know they portrayed him as an older man, but that does not necessarily mean they got him wrong age wise.

About 6 of the Stewards in the South did not reach 100 years of age, 2 dying before their allotted time, Denethor [the 26th Steward] in suicide and the great Boromir [the 11th Steward] who had a Morgul-wound.

And lastly I would not agree with the line of Elendil being unmingled in the Chieftains. King Arvedui was wed to Fíriel, a direct descendant of Eldacar whose mother was not Dúnedain and the cause of the Kin-strife. I believe that the House of the Stewards were descended from Elendil as well, through his son Anárion, although they had no right according to the laws to be kings as they were in the female line. It is said that their line was hardly less pure than that of the Kings.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Snowdog

Pipe

I stand with my original observation on this as I look at the last half-dozen or so Stewards compared to the last half dozen Chieftains of the Dunedain (based on HoME XII). Quite a bit of difference in years lived. Even Faramir, who it was noted had characteristics of Numenoreans of old, lived to be 120. Quite a difference I would say.

Anyway, this all sounds like a great discussionto have in another thread. Getting back to Born of Hope, I really liked the way Arathorn was portrayed. I wonder what they would have done had they the budget and resources that PJ had. Maybe when the re-makes are done....
Old 06-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Getting back to Born of Hope, I really liked the way Arathorn was portrayed. I wonder what they would have done had they the budget and resources that PJ had. Maybe when the re-makes are done....
I agree, Snowdog. Many's the time I've thought about the better job they could have done...

I think we need more adaptations of LotR and The H, so we can put some distance and perspective on what's currently being produced by PJ. Hopefully, many of us here will still be alive and able to make comments when this has happened.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote