The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Lets hear from the "stalkees"

I've been viewing Heren's comedious yet, brilliant thread "Are you a stalker?" So, viewing that thread, I would like to know how the stalkeed people feel about getting stalked? I noticed Fordhim's, SpM, Davem, Nightknight...etc, a couple others names pop up a lot. So let's now hear from the stalkees.

Or to expand it to a wider group of people, how would you feel if you are one that knows he/she is being stalked by a barrowdowner?

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-25-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I don't know if I'm still stalked by anyone, but I was, and it doesn't make me scared, wary, freaked, shocked, arm myself with several sharp kitchen knives, etc. Being stalked is a morale-boosting experience.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Meela's right. I seem to remember a line that goes something like "Imatation is the sincerest form of flattery." Our being "stalked" seems a little like that. It's very flattering to know that people are curious what you think about, and it boosts your ego to know that the same people respect what you have to say.

Fea
Old 10-27-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
All right, I'll admit it, I like being stalked around the Downs as it means that I can post with relative assurance that at least somebody will read what I put up there! I also like that I can, in my own way, 'point the way' as it were toward threads that others might find interesting.

I think that's what stalking is really all about anyway -- I know that I do a fair amount of stalking, and while I do enjoy the posts of those I follow, I go 'after' them primarilly from a desire to see what threads are out there and interesting. It's like having a whole host of personalisd, living search engines! I mean, if I see davem, Bethberry, Child, Saucy, Esty and a host of others replying to threads, the odds are pretty good that I will enjoy the topics therein.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I know people used to stalk me to see where I was modding, but we rarely have annoying newbies these days, so I don't have to do much of that anymore. When I was doing a lot of forum work (oldtimers may remember the closing of the Movies forum for renovation two years ago), I came on invisibly so that it wasn't as noticeable when I deleted posts and threads. They're not missed, but their authors might have been offended if they had seen them disappearing.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:18 AM   #6
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Ah, but there are pleasant sides to being a stalkee, you know. Per instance, one may linger on a thread one wants to be paid attention to for some hours, being almost sure that gents and ladies on 'who's online' will take notice and follow one down that thread...

Of course, bumping the thread up is a way more effective, but there is certain subtlety in luring people into reading something without posting anything there...
besides, there are times one is too busy to post at all, so merely having the page open is an only option sometimes.

*H-I hums under his nose I've got a power...

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I enjoy being 'stalked' as it enables me to brainwash a larger number of people and employ them to my service.

There are threads out there which testify to that statement.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:32 AM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Eomer, lol, what would we do without you, die of boredom? Or praise that you're gone and we now can't be manipulated by your psychological tricks? lol. .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Inktomi Slurp Spider Viewing User Profile

MSNBot Spider Viewing User Profile
It would appear that we all are being stalked...
Old 11-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Eomer, lol, what would we do without you, die of boredom? Or praise that you're gone and we now can't be manipulated by your psychological tricks?
Knowing Eomer, he would have us under his psychological power even from the grave .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:39 AM   #11
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Just a query...how does one know if he or she is being stalked online?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:07 AM   #12
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

No technical means available, observation skills at your disposal - if you are on an X thread, which you just dug up from some dusty archives, and in 10 minutes time several other users are seen as 'reading X thread', that is the surest sign you are being followed around.

cheers

Old 11-07-2004, 07:22 AM   #13
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
No technical means available, observation skills at your disposal - if you are on an X thread, which you just dug up from some dusty archives, and in 10 minutes time several other users are seen as 'reading X thread', that is the surest sign you are being followed around.

cheers
To be fair, it does really involve alot of observation skills being used, though - you just keep a-refreshin' that 'Whose Online' page and it's all dandy. I mean, this is stalking where you really do need to put your back into being stalked, y' know: takes some effort
Old 11-07-2004, 07:50 AM   #14
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots The song perchance and not the singer?

Quote:
if you are on an X thread, which you just dug up from some dusty archives, and in 10 minutes time several other users are seen as 'reading X thread', that is the surest sign you are being followed around.
I'm not sure that is the only deduction one can make, HI. Is it not possible that people see the newly retrieved thread name in Who's Online, find the thread name interesting, and go read the thread? Especially so in your case since you have a reputation for finding old jems.

I think it would take repeated episodes of such events, and repeated over the most
inane or uninteresting threads, to rule out the possibility that it is the thread rather than the stalkee that is being pursued. Or do I not understand this 'stalkee' thing?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:26 AM   #15
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Quote:
Just a query...how does one know if he or she is being stalked online?
I stick with the easiest way of knowing: outright confessions by the stalkers.

Fea
Old 11-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #16
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Well yes, to take the alternate route...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethberry
Is it not possible that people see the newly retrieved thread name in Who's Online, find the thread name interesting, and go read the thread?
Stalkee Rule No. 2: Ego is the centre of all
Old 11-08-2004, 12:42 AM   #17
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
Well, one could be just longing for company...as is usually my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Kudos to the honest stalkers and their stalkees! But isn't the point of stalking supposed to be following someone around, giving that person such paranoia that drives him/her crazy? But then, this is the Downs...being stalked is actually a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Or do I not understand this 'stalkee' thing?
How could you not? You are most likely a stalkee yourself!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:36 AM   #18
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
But then, this is the Downs...being stalked is actually a good thing
Yup, we do all things other way round, sort of Cheshire cats we are - we growl when we are happy and wag our tails in anger, we celebrate our deathdays and to be stalked is a compliment rather, thing to be proud of, not a cause for anxiety . (Just a tiny bit of shameless advertising - we even turn poetry inside out!)

Observation skills re: as I'm both stalkee and a stalker myself, I do refresh who's online page to see what is it that my dead buddies are up to

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 11-08-2004 at 02:33 PM. Reason: 'lsor' is not a word
Old 11-08-2004, 09:49 AM   #19
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Doing things the other way around, eh? It is almost as if we enter a whole new planet when logging on to the Barrowdowns. For example, people are actually polite to you here...

But getting back on topic, it does appear as though the stalked become stalkers themselves after being exposed to this sick, new world. Tis like an horrific drug methinks. Well, I for one am proud to say that I am not a stalker. I am, however, gibberingly suspicious of every single one of you.