Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2004, 06:44 PM   #81
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield Heeloo...

Um, is everyone still alive? The thread kind of died. And yeah, Roa, I meant the director, but I'm not gonna go into that.

Anyways, the grunts thing makes sense. So now as far as baddies go we're up to 2 captains, 2 elites, 2 regular orcs, and 1 (maybe more) grunt(s). Right?
Old 04-03-2004, 03:44 PM   #82
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, I'm pretty disappointed at how slow this has been going along recently. I understand that many of you are very busy (I am very busy myself), but it has been quite a while. I ask for your input, and I desire it, but you have to give me some... We're almost there everyone; I understand that this has taken quite a while. But please, stick with me for a little while longer.

Thanks guys!

Here, I will put some information on this page to make it easier for everyone to refer to:

Outlined Summary Thus Far:

Mirkwood scouts (whether by orders from Thranduil or not) have been keeping Dol Guldur under surveillance. They detect movement at Dol Guldur, and observes an army as it marches toward Lorien. They also observe a smaller force making its way in a loop to reach the forest on the northern/southern side. (Either the ‘Sauron special forces’ party remains with the army for a time and then breaks off, or they head off on their own right away.)

At this point a decision must be made: to report back what they have seen, to continue following the army, or to follow the smaller party. The scouting party from Mirkwood decides to follow the smaller party, as it is much more stealthily making its way to Lorien. Also, the fact that it contains easterlings and uruk-hai (and the main force does not?) could be seen as something that is due attention.

-Of course, the Mirkwood elves could receive information from the rescued envoy we talked about earlier. See ‘Concerning the envoy and its rescue’ below.-

The scout party moves with the greatest possible speed to Lorien, to reach the forest ahead of the ‘Sauron special forces’. They warn of this special, unforeseen attack. Most likely after studying the evil party’s movements for a time, they could guess approximately where they were headed. So the troops holding Lorien are prepared to resist both attacks. (It could be that by the time the scout troop reaches Lorien, the main force marching from Dol Guldur has reached, or is about to reach, the line of battle, as they would be marching in a much straighter route.)

From here, the battle could work out in many ways:

The scout troop from Mirkwood and soldiers that could be spared from Lorien’s lines successfully fend off the ‘Sauron special forces’ party, then:

The survivors of this skirmish could then make their way around to attack the attacking army of Dol Guldur from behind, and using the cover of the trees, scatter them. (Think ‘The Patriot’… )

Or, the soldiers of Lorien could fend off the main force, for as they continue to fight, and there is not sign that the separate evil party was successful in their mission, morale wanes until they flee or are driven back.

~

The Player Groups (expanded from Roa’s nifty list):

Mirkwood scouts (open story)
Lorien envoy (to Woodmen? - captured)
Main force of Dol Guldur
‘Special forces’ party of Dol Guldur
Defenders of Lorien: Front lines & Elite Guard/Bodyguard(minor roles/NPCs)

~

Time Periods (for a basic idea of the order of things):

Mikwood scout party follows army for (days 1 – 3?)
Envoy captured – a party splits off to take captives back to Dol Guldur (days 3 – 4)
Envoy rescued – Plans of evil forces made clear (day 4 or 5?)
Race back to Lorien (days 4/5 – 8/9?)
Defenders warned/inner defenders rescued from surprise attack (day 9 or 10)
Lorien front lines hold off main force (day 9 or 10)
Enemy held – Retreat (day 11)

------------

A Pending RPG Proposal:

Title: Bloodstained Elanor/Elanor Agarwaen

Historical Background: TA 3019, February - March

Lorien is attacked three times by forces from Dol Guldur, located in southern Mirkwood. Thanks to the combination of their valor of arms and the protection of Nenya, the assailants are held back.

Mirkwood is also attacked several times, and they struggle to hold back the evil. So Lorien cannot call upon Thranduil for aid, and Thranduil cannot call upon them. Eventually the fight reaches the inner reaches of the forest of Mirkwood.

With destruction of Sauron, Celeborn leads forces over the Anduin and destroys Dol Guldur, and Galadriel throws down its walls.

On the day of the new year, Celeborn and Thranduil meet in Mirkwood. Mirkwood is renamed Eryn Lasgalen, 'The Forest of Greenleaves'. Thranduil keeps northern Mirkwood, and Celeborn receives southern Mirkwood and names it East Lorien, and the forest is renewed.

This story tells of one of these onslaughts against Lorien from Dol Guldur.

Basic Storyline: An army marches toward Lorien from Dol Guldur, in yet another attempt to overcome one of the few remaining fortresses of good. This time Sauron has plans of overthrowing the power of Nenya, and thus bringing the strength and morale of Lorien to fail. An envoy has been sent to the Woodmen/elves of Mirkwood to seek aid in the defense of the forest.

In Mirkwood, a scouting party that has been keeping Dol Guldur under surveillance follows the movements of the army as it approaches Lorien, hoping to aid their brethren against the persistent evil. Whatever the outcome, a battle will rage beneath the great boughs of the mallorn, and blood will stain the beautiful leaves of the mallorn.

The purpose of the story is to: Gain information needed to aid in the defeat of the army of Dol Guldur and reach Lorien in time. Drive back the orcs from Lorien.

This means we will know the story is over when: The army of Dol Guldur retreats.

Starting Location: Mirkwood(?)

Likely destination: Lorien

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the Third Age at around year 3019.

The storyline itself or plot covers 11(?) days, weeks, months.

This game requires a time commitment of 3 months(?) from me, the game owner and from the major players.

Characters needed:

_#_ Elves:
  • Soldiers
  • Scouts
  • Envoy members
  • Female?
  • Of Mirkwood
  • Of Lorien

_#_ Orcs:
  • Elite Orcs (of some kind)
  • Uruk-hai
  • Grunts(?)

_#_ Easterlings:
  • Elite
  • Leader of ‘special forces’ party?
  • Male and Female??

-------------------

I will be away from Wednesday April 7th till the following Monday April 11th. I will have internet access, but I doubt I will be able to get on very much, and if I do, any posts will not be lengthy.

~

If everyone can tell me what type of character they would like to play, that would be great. Hopefully you have started thinking about your character. We can soon begin focusing on characters and other details more soon. But there are still a few things that need smoothing out.

Thanks again guys!

-Durelin
Old 04-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #83
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Heeding the call

I take it, then, Durelin, that we are ready to start working out characters???

At any rate, it seems like there's some kind of consensus building around the baddies in the special forces unit:

Quote:
2 Captains ( 1 Orc and 1 Easterling)
2 Easterling Warriors
2 Special Unit Orcs
2 Regular Orcs (Maybe one of them could be a Grunt?)
That's already eight which means this game might be getting a bit too big already. I've seen over in another rpg starting up ("Search for Ruhn") the owner's been having a bit of trouble getting enough people. That being said, I would suggest we keep the number of player 'groups' restricted to the baddies, the Mirkwood Scouts and the Lorien Envoy to the woodmen. Even if we keep it to just the three groups, though, and give each of them an equal number of players (8), that's still a total of 24 players!!!!!!! Perhaps we could make it a bit more modest and keep it to four players per group (total of 12):

Barad Dur special forces:

1 Easterling captain
1 Easterling grunt (servant of the captain)
1 orc captain
1 orc grunt (slave of the captain)

Mirkwood scouts: 4

Lorien Envoy to woodmen:

1 ambassador (female?)
1 ambassadorial assistant person handmaiden/thingee/friend (female?)
2 guards

I also see no problem with beginning the game with official first posts from all three groups. The Mirkwood scouts picking up the trail of the special forces baddies and having to decide whether to follow the trail or not. The baddies bickering amongst themselves as they head toward Lorien. The Lorien envoy finding the slaughtered border patrols and deciding what to do. . .
Old 04-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #84
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Totally unrelated to the thread - SORRY

Amanaduial -- I've been trying to PM you for a couple of days, but your messages are "Full and unable to accept more"!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:38 AM   #85
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Fordim is right, and I agree that we shouldn't let the game get too big. If it gets too big, players and characters tend to get lost or feel like they are no longer needed to pull the story along.

Besides, we can have a few main characters in each group, especially in the bad guy's section, and then their minions could be carry-along characters that pop in here and there.

Yup...that's what I've got...

-Aylwen
Old 04-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #86
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Ack! Guess I wasn't counting.

I like Fordim's numbers, 12 is good. And as to where the first post will be, maybe we could have one big combined first post with a part for Mirkwood, Lorien and the baddies so that we don't have to start the game in one place or the other.

Will write more later.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #87
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, it is definitely time to work on characters, as putting on the final touches has taken way too long...

Four is definitely a good number, and the three main groups of the Lorien envoy, the Mirkwood scout party, and the Orc 'special forces' unit. I believe we will also need a couple minor characters roleplayed among the orc army. Having these extra roles is not only very important to helping the story along, but it will give people who cannot commit a great amount of time to the game a chance to roleplay. I believe that would be an excellent bonus, and I do not see how the story could flow without at least a small view point from the army, so that its movements may be followed (as they will be separate from the Orc 'special forces' unit). It will give everyone much more of an understanding of what is going on and when. I know I need that...

Also, I think it would be very nice to have a cameo role among the soldiers defending Lorien. Again, this would help the story along and make it much easier to follow, as it would give us a view point from which we could see how Lorien is faring in the attack, and would help even more in the understanding of where the orc army is and what it is doing. The reason this is so important is because this is a big group of orcs running around, and they are a large part of the story. Yet, the focus is away from this force (and for many a good reason). So, though we should keep the character number limited, there are some small, even 'extra' roles that should not be overlooked. I believe the biggest problem concerning a large number of characters is just what you mentioned, Fordim: the lack of roleplayers for the roles. I had that problem with Dark Seduction. Still, I believe we should wait and see if 4 characters per group is too much.

Concerning characters: it looks as if we have smoothed out most of the problems concerning the kinds of roles that would be involved. I believe one, maybe two female roles are available: a female ambassador or a female maidservant to the ambassador, or both. There are plenty of options for baddies and warriors, as you know. I believe Fordim's list is superb, and here it is (with a few additions of my own):

Barad Dur 'special forces':

1 Easterling captain
1 Easterling grunt (servant of the captain?)
1 orc captain
1 orc grunt (slave of the captain?)

Mirkwood scouts: 4

Lorien Envoy to woodmen:

1 ambassador (female?)
1 ambassadorial maidservant/manservant (female?)
2 guards

Or

2 ambassadors (one female)
1 ambassadorial maidservant/manservant
1 guard (as we do have lots of the 'sword-wielding' type)

Secondary Characters - Barad Dur main forces:

1 Orc/Easterling captain
1 Orc/Easterling grunt
(it would be preferable if it turned out to be one Easterling and one Orc...)

Cameo:

1 Lorien warrior of the defense

~

Quote:
And as to where the first post will be, maybe we could have one big combined first post with a part for Mirkwood, Lorien and the baddies so that we don't have to start the game in one place or the other.
Concerning this, I believe it would be wonderful if the first post of the game be only from the owner(s) character's(s') point(s) of view. This should be a member of the Lorien envoy: setting up the story before the scouts discover trouble. Then each player that is a part of the game, beginning with you guys who have put up with me and my planning thread, would start off the story from the other points of view. That might get a bit tricky, but if we can get the game to open smoothly, I believe we're home free.

Note that the above paragraph was just an idea, and now one that I doubt will work.

~

Good to see people back and posting!

Thanks a bunch everyone!

-Durelin

P.S. - Fordim: when you said 'Barad Dur special forces', I just assumed that you meant 'Dol Guldur special forces', and I went ahead and changed it, but then I realized you might have meant Barad Dur. So, am I right or wrong...?

Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #88
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
P.S. - Fordim: when you said 'Barad Dur special forces', I just assumed that you meant 'Dol Guldur special forces', and I went ahead and changed it, but then I realized you might have meant Barad Dur. So, am I right or wrong...?
Bad Fordim, Bad. No donut!

You are quite right Durelin, I meant Dol Guldur special forces. Although, really, all of Sauron's servants are directed by the Eye, so wherever you have Sauron's forces you have Barad Dur, so I was right, in a manner of speaking. . .

One more thing:

dibs dibs dibs on one of the Lorien guards!!!! (Never played an Elf -- I guarantee, this guy is NOT going to be a Mary Sue. . . heh heh heh)
Old 04-13-2004, 09:47 AM   #89
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Glad the numbers were straightened out. Sorry it's been so long, been really busy. I agree that we should have the minor charachters point of view. It'll really add to the story and make more rounded. If necessary, some roleplayers could double up, and have one main charachter and one minor. Love the idea for the cameo. Oh, and I so call dibs on an ambassador.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 04-13-2004, 10:51 AM   #90
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Well, if you're calling the ambassador, I 'call' the easterling captain
Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 AM   #91
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Actually, Aman, I prefer the second option for the Envoy, which contains two ambassadors, so you could be the second ambassador. Or, if the majority prefers the first option (with only one ambassador and 2 guards), then I know you are a wonderful easterling... Whichever you would prefer.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:19 PM   #92
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
How does this look? And let me know which Lorien Envoy scenario you decide on.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Character List

-------------------------------------------------

Dol Guldur/Barad Dur ‘Special Forces’
  • 1 Easterling captain ‘Special Forces’ - Amanaduial
  • 1 Easterling grunt ‘Special Forces’ (servant of the captain) - Aylwen Dreamsong
  • 1 Orc captain ‘Special Forces’
  • 1 Orc grunt ‘Special Forces’ (slave of the captain?)
~*~

Elves of Mirkwood scouts
  • 1.) Male Mirkwood Elf
  • 2.) Male Mirkwood Elf
  • 3.) Male Mirkwood Elf
  • 4.) Male Mirkwood Elf
~*~

Elves of Lorien Envoy to Mirkwood Elves/Ambassadors from Lorien

SCENARIO I

1 ambassador (female Lorien Elf) - Roa_Aoife

1 ambassadorial maidservant/manservant (female Lorien Elf)

Guards
  • 1.) Male Lorien Elf – Fordim Hedgethistle
  • 2.) Male Lorien Elf
OR

SCENARIO II
  • 1.) Female Lorien Elf – Roa_Aoife
  • 2.) Male Lorien Elf

1 Lorien Elf ambassadorial maidservant/manservant

1 male Lorien Elf guard – Fordim Hedgethistle

~*~

SECONDARY CHARACTERS

Dol Guldur/Barad Dur ‘Main Force’

1 Orc/Easterling captain

1 Orc/Easterling grunt
(it would be preferable if it turned out to be one Easterling and one Orc...)

~*~

CAMEO

1 male Lorien Elf (warrior of the defense)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-13-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:26 PM   #93
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

In support of the second Lorien Envoy scenario -- I fully intend my "guard" to be a pretty doughty fellow (not a Noldor, but a Firstborn who cut his teeth fighting orcs and other assorted baddies alongside Celeborn and Thingol before the Noldor arrived 'back' in Middle-Earth). Given the kind of presence that I hope Pio will let me give him, having him go along as 'just' one guard would be believable.

Note to Pio -- I have read the Redbook for the Shire, and intend to follow it. No magic weapons, no special abilities, just a really ancient and strong Elf (with some interesting -- I hope -- character flaws).
Old 04-13-2004, 12:39 PM   #94
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Please Note:

We are looking at at the very earliest, the end of May, and more likely the first of June to open this game.

This gives you plenty of time to tighten up the proposal, choose your character and get ALL of your Character Bios and First Posts onto THIS THREAD.

Both Child of the 7th Age and I will then review the proposal and get our suggestions back to you.

~*~ Pio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USE THIS CHARACTER DESCRIPTION FORM TO PRESENT YOUR CHARACTER:

NAME:

RACE:

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):

APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):

HISTORY:

~*~

(Accompanied by:)

"Your Name" 's post:
Old 04-13-2004, 02:01 PM   #95
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

I actually prefer the first scenario - there isn't really much difference between them, but I prefer the first.

(and I would so like to be an easterling! )
Old 04-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #96
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Thank you much, Pio, that's wonderful! Though it looks like, either way we go with the envoy scenario, Aman will be an easterling. Which I am certainly happy with!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #97
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

I call dibs on a leftover easterling! (Man, you guys and gals are fast! )

Unless someone else really really wants to be an easterling, I suppose. But I do so love easterlings...

-Aylwen
Old 04-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #98
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Aman, Aylwen, Roa, Fordim:

Take a look at the Character List and see if you have been put where you want to be.

~*~ Pio
Old 04-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #99
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm fine with where I am. I like the second scenario better, becuase it would make more sense. Twoa= ambassadors are better than one. And don't froget Fordim- there are NPC's, so just becuase only one Lorien Guard is a main charachter, that doesn't make him the only protection.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:10 PM   #100
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Durelin -- I've been thinking about the nitty-gritty details of how to move these three groups about, and I think I might have had a bit of an epiphany in the shower (where I have all my strokes of brilliance).

I've never really been happy with the idea of the Easterlings/orcs capturing the Lorien envoy at the borders of Lorien, then taking them all the way back to Mirkwood, then turning around and attacking Lorien again (even though I did propose this very plot myself!): so how about this. . .?

The story begins in three places: the baddies heading south along the River to join the larger force of Special Forces getting ready for the attack on Lorien -- the baddies are themselves returning from a scouting mission up the River; the Mirkwood scouts heading south through Mirkwood; the Lorien envoy leaving the borders of Lorien and heading roughly north-west toward the woodmen.

The Lorien envoy gets to the borders Mirkwood all on their own and are then captured by the Easterling/orc baddies who happen to stumble on them. They take the Lorien Envoy to join the Special Forces; during the trip, the envoy figures out the plan to attack Lorien away from the main assault and get at Galadriel. Meanwhile, the Mirkwood scouts have spotted the main group of Special Forces and are following them. They then spot the baddies taking the Lorien envoy to join the main body of Special Forces, free the envoy, and then we go as planned (Elves of Lorien and Mirkwood race to warn Lorien, hold off the attack of Special Forces as best they can while they wait for reinforcements).

I realise that there's very little difference here from what we've talked about already. The main thing I wanted to address was this capture of the envoy near Lorien (why in the world capture them, only to return them to Mirkwood, and then turn around to go back to Lorien to attack?) The 'chance' meeting of the baddies and the envoy right near Mirkwood not only makes more sense in the story, but it will also give the envoy time to write about their journey to Mirkood, the baddies to write about their journey south after raiding along the River, and the Mirkwood scouts a chance to write about following the main force of baddies out of Dol Guldur.

Hope this makes sense. Really looking forward to playing this game!
Old 04-14-2004, 01:28 PM   #101
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

You know, I never did think about location...I took for granted that the Lorien envoy would be captured by the baddies...somewhere in the middle... The middle of what?, you may ask, and I really can't answer that. I don't know what I was thinking!

That makes perfect sense, and though, yes, it is relatively the plan we had, the few differences help to smooth out the story. Instead of the 'special forces' (okay creative minds: come up with a name!) separating from the main forces after they depart Mirkwood, they meet up before the attack, with only the main forces departing from Mirkwood (and the special forces already out on a scouting mission). Then they separate for the attack, as they draw near to Lorien, correct?

Excellent! Yes, I think there are many new possibilities. And thank you, Fordim, for that...you have solved a problem that I was not even aware of! I have found that I am quite oblivious at times...usually the hard way.

I need to get working on finishing up the proposal form, fleshing it out and correcting problems. I will soon, working around my biology project and theology paper. So, anything you see that you object to or you'd like to have more discussion on, please let me know!

So far: the second scenario for the envoy seems to be favored, but only really 2 to 1. I no longer am sure if I will vote...I believe either scenario would be fine, and the second one no longer seems as easily done, as one guard is a bit of a stretch for two ambassadors, and although I did think of NPCs, they would be a bit tricky to carry along as actual characters in such a small group. The interactions kind of demand a player for all the characters. Anyway, I hope I can get more input on it, if anyone really sees a difference. If not, we'll go with the second one.

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:43 PM   #102
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Question H'llloooooooo

I'm just checking in on everyone. . .

Still alive?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:42 PM   #103
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I hate to sound mean, but...please, everyone, I ask you to stop posting such posts. If you have nothing other to say than to ask why no one is posting, when you have not been posting comments trying to keep the thread alive yourself, then...please, just try and revive discussion. Really, I'm not yelling.

Thank you, though, for being concerned with everyone's well-being.

I have been swamped by school work, and have just worked through most of it. Just have that test to make up... So, I will be working on finishing up the proposal form very soon. I will then submit it to Pio and Child, and it will be final. It has been postponed too long, and I apologize for my slothfulness. This means that if you feel that anything needs to be changed or added you must let me know.

Another thing we need to have decided is what we will name the RPG. Right now the choices are: Bloodstained Elanor or Elanor Agarwaen ("Bloodstained Elanor" in Elvish). If anyone has another suggestion, please go ahead and post it.

Thanks again, everyone. And forgive me for yelling, and lacking time.

-Durelin
Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #104
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Personally, I like the first one better. Sorry bout the lack of posting, but I'm swamped with end-of the semmester work. At the moment, survival seems a dim hope...

Old 05-02-2004, 04:47 PM   #105
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Okay. I guess we're done.

~

Title: Bloodstained Elanor

Historical Background:
TA 3019, February - March

Lorien is attacked three times by forces from Dol Guldur, located in southern Mirkwood. Thanks to the combination of their valor of arms and the protection of Nenya, the assailants are held back all three times.

Mirkwood is also attacked several times, and they struggle to hold back the evil. So Lorien cannot call upon Thranduil for aid, and Thranduil cannot call upon them. Eventually the fight reaches the inner reaches of the forest of Mirkwood. Still, the evil his held off in Mirkwood, as well, at least till the destruction of the Ring.

With the destruction of Sauron, Celeborn leads forces over the Anduin and destroys Dol Guldur, and Galadriel throws down its walls.

On the day of the new year, Celeborn and Thranduil meet in Mirkwood. Mirkwood is renamed Eryn Lasgalen, 'The Forest of Greenleaves'. Thranduil keeps northern Mirkwood, and Celeborn receives southern Mirkwood and names it East Lorien, and the forest is renewed.

This story tells of the last of these onslaughts against Lorien from Dol Guldur.

Basic Storyline: An army marches toward Lorien from Dol Guldur, in yet another attempt to overcome one of the few remaining fortresses of good. This time Sauron has plans of overthrowing the power of Nenya, and thus bringing the strength and morale of Lorien to fail. An envoy has been sent to the Woodmen/elves of Mirkwood to seek aid in the defense of the forest.

In Mirkwood, a scouting party that has been keeping Dol Guldur under surveillance follows the movements of the army as it approaches Lorien, hoping to aid their brethren against the persistent evil. In their pursuit, they discover a plan that will surely kill any hopes of this stronghold of beauty standing against the power of Dol Guldur any longer. Whatever the outcome, a battle will rage beneath the great boughs of the mallorn, and blood will stain the beautiful leaves of the mallorn.

The purpose of the story is to: Gain information needed to aid in the defeat of the army of Dol Guldur, and reach Lorien in time to drive back the orcs from Lorien.

This means we will know the story is over when: The army of Dol Guldur retreats.

Starting Location: Mirkwood/Outside Lorien

Likely destination: Lorien

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the Third Age at around year 3019.

The storyline itself or plot covers 11 days.

This game requires a time commitment of 3 months from me, the game owner and from the major players.
1 Easterling grunt (servant of the captain?) – Aylwen Dreamsong
1 orc captain
1 orc grunt (slave of the captain?)

Mirkwood Scouts:
1 Male Elf scout captain - Durelin
3 Male Elf scouts

Lorien Envoy to woodmen:

1 Female Ambassador – Roa Aoife
1 Male Ambassador
1 ambassadorial maidservant/manservant
1 guard – Fordim Hedgethistle (+ carry along character)*

Secondary Characters – Dol Guldur main forces:

1 Easterling captain
1 Orc grunt

Cameo:

1 Lorien warrior of the defense

~

*It would be great if a second guard could be carried along by you, Fordhim, as there is just something wrong with having only one guard.

--------------

And here's an improved detailed outline:
  • Army prepares to march from Dol Guldur (day 1)
  • Mirkwood scouts discover army (day 1), and, as it begins to march toward Lorien, they decide to follow (day 2 – 3)
  • Lorien envoy is on their way to the Woodmen (days 1 – 3), a good ways outside Lorien on day 1
  • Envoy crosses path of army (the two are heading in opposite directions, and it is hard to avoid a large army), and are captured (day 3)
  • Small force breaks off to take the captives back to Dol Guldur (day 3)
  • Mirkwood scouts, following, are able to ambush (night day 3) this force and rescue the captives
  • The scouts learn of the plans: a special force will attack from another direction and assault Caras Galadon (day 4)
  • The elven party races back to Lorien from the north at the greatest possible speed – the trolls slow the baddies down (days 4 – 7)
  • When they arrive (night day 9), the battle is about to begin:
    When the army reaches the Anduin around mid-day on the 9th day, they stop to put up the floating bridges. They plan to begin the attack soon after dawn the next day. The Mirkwood scouts + Lorien envoy reach the borders of Lorien a little before dusk, and reach Caras Galadon soon after dusk. A council of war then follows during the night.
  • The plan of the special force is foiled, and the entire army retreats (day 11)

--------------

Here's the adjusted timeframes:

Time Periods (for a basic idea of the order of things):

Mikwood scout party scouts out and follows army (days 1 – 3)
Envoy captured – a party splits off to take captives back to Dol Guldur (day 3)
Envoy rescued – Plans of evil forces made clear (night of day 3 – day 4)
Race back to Lorien (days 4 – 7)
Defenders warned/inner defenders rescued from surprise attack (night of day 7 – day 8)
Lorien front lines hold off main force (day 9)
Enemy held – Retreat (day 11)

--------------

Arvedui - I still need to know what role you will play. Thanks.
Everyone else, just keep working on the bios.

See you at the party!

-Durelin
Old 05-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #106
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Durelin, Roa_Aoife, Aman, Aylwen, Fordim, Arvedui

I've sent you all a PM, but I will also place this here:

The RPG proposal form is now complete – with the exception of the Character Bio and First Post for your chosen character.

Please get those onto the Planning Thread ASAP so that I can fit them into the proposal form.

Here is the basic storyline with which you are working:

Basic Storyline: An army marches toward Lorien from Dol Guldur, in yet another attempt to overcome one of the few remaining fortresses of good. This time Sauron has plans of overthrowing the power of Nenya, and thus causing the strength and morale of Lorien to fail. An envoy from Lorien has been sent to the Woodmen/elves of Mirkwood to seek aid in the defense of the forest.

In Mirkwood, a scouting party that has been keeping Dol Guldur under surveillance follows the movements of the army as it approaches Lorien, hoping to aid their brethren against the persistent evil. In their pursuit, they discover a plan that will surely kill any hopes of this stronghold of beauty standing against the power of Dol Guldur any longer. Whatever the outcome, a battle will rage beneath the great boughs of the mallorn, and blood will stain their beautiful leaves.

The game will not be considered for play by the Moderators until the bios and posts are on board.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, Game Moderator
Old 05-05-2004, 01:55 PM   #107
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril Presenting...

Ok, here we go then:

The Easterling Captain

Name: Koran Cenrbyt.

RACE: Haradrim.

WEAPONS: Koran can work well with the bow and arrow, or with a crossbow, and carries a smaller crossbow with him - it is about two thirds of his arm. However, close combat weapons are more practical: he is very profficient with a one handed sword, which is more nimble and light than a broadsword. The sword he carries is not particularly fine, fairly plain: the blade is about 80cm long, five centimetres across, and does not bear any special inscriptions or runes; the handle is carefully bound, wound leather and the pommel, the only decorative part of the sword, is a metal disc, rimmed around the outside and carved with a fire motif in the centre - the stigma of Koran's clan, the Cenbryts. However, despite its plainess, the sword is well-balanced and excellent to fight with, and fight well he does: Koran has used this sword since he was twenty five or so. It is fairly plain because although a weapon can save your life, he knows that it is not worth getting attached to an inanimate weapon - although the the careful binding and the way the blade is always perfectly sharp bear witness to the fact that he knows the sense in taking care of it. However, such dullness of deisgn does not extend to his other special weapon: a blade about the length of his forearm and hand together, slanting to a point all the way along. It is rather too short to be a sword, but too long to be a dagger or knife, so rests somewhere in between. The blade is made of some far finer material and the hilt, it has been said by several others, is silver: it is metal rather than leather, but fits perfectly into Koran's hand from use. The pommel is a stone the size of the ball of your thumb, bound over the top and sides with leather, which is a strange, dangerous, smoky red. Koran fights excellently with both of the two close combat weapons, sometimes simultaneously. He never lets the smaller blade away from him.

APPEARANCE: Koran is typically dark, like most of his people - his almost black hair is kept short, although it curls a little at the nape is his neck and around the bottom of his ears. His dark eyes are quite narrow from a life in the sun, and seem naturally hard and cynical, although hardness is not all they can show. His skin is quite sallow, tanned from the sun, and firm, a strong jaw and fine cheeks making him quite good looking, charismatic. However, one side of his face is marred: a slanted scar runs from across the middle of one cheek, slanting down from the top of his left ear to about an inch to the side of his left nostril. He is quite tall, standing at about 5 ft 11, and is not built very chunkily: rather, his build is athletic, slim but very, very well-muscled, and although he is slim, it would probably be fatal to underestimate his strength and speed. Besides, his shirt is usually left open at the neck to about 10cm below the centre of his collar bone, the sleeves rolled up to the elbows and is usually a dirty white colour. At his neck he wears a traditional, simple brown bead necklace with the crest of the Cenbryts on the centre bead again. On his right (sword) arm, visible because of the usually rolled-up sleeves, is a black tattoo of the Cenbryt flame. Over the shirt he wears a leather jerkin, again usually open, and if it is particularly cold he will wear a black, rather stained leather coat over this. Leather riding boots are worn to the knee over dark trousers.

PERSONALITY: Not naturally fiery, Koran nonetheless has a volcanic temper on him when the need arises, such as in the incident with Vlad (see History). He resents being thrown around or stepped upon, and when his fighting prowess is so high, he won’t stand for it. His skills are quite well known, gaining him enemies and allies, although he has as yet no wife or life-partner – he spends much time fighting away, a lifestyle that suits him very well, and his focus makes it difficult for other things. However, Koran is prone to dreaming and thinking deeply when he has spare time – he is not unloving although those who do not know him might think him cold. However, his close friends and those he has fought with know him well enough and would trust him with their lives in battle and in life (provided clan-feuds are not involved). His reputation has not made him overly cocky, as he knows that carelessness can cost much – for example, arrogance and cockiness in a fight once nearly cost him his sight, as can be seen from the long cut across one cheek, marring his good looks. He is naturally quite charismatic and once well known is good company – however, to get on his bad side is a fatal mistake. He is not altogether pleased to be on this mission and, as he is far from stupid, knows exactly why his cousins manipulated him into it – however, he is from a proud line, and would not let anyone know his feelings about this.

HISTORY: Although his relatively young age might make it seem strange, Koran is the head of his clan – this could be guessed from the carved necklace and sword-pommel, and also from the tattoo of his clan’s stigma on his sword arm, mandatory for the leader of the tribe. Koran’s family have always been a fighting one, but have sustained great losses more recently: his father, the then-head of the tribe, died when Koran was twelve or thirteen. He was one of six, four brothers and two sisters. Koran was third in line to become head of the tribe and had no real wish to become head, as it is a tying and dutiful job despite the rewards, and he could have lived as he wished more easily without the title. But, one by one, his two elder brothers and his one younger brother, along with one sister, fell in battle, and the title fell to Koran when he was twenty five years old. By this time, however, he already had a reputation, of a sort – he fought and rode well, had done since he was in his mid-teens.

When he was younger, from about the age of fifteen, he worked in a small group of youths around his age to scout out villages or settlements for raids or ahead of a larger group. However, this group had a very set hierarchy, and Koran fell foul of the oldest boy, a fiery-headed loudmouth nineteen year old called Vlad, more than once. Vlad took pleasure in beating the younger boys, but when Koran was seventeen, he got into a full fight with the older boy, then twenty one, and told him exactly what he thought of him – Vlad lost an eye in the fight, but Koran did not get away without a fight, and bears a long scar from the side of his ribcage to the opposite hip still, a faded white line. Although he was beaten for his trouble, Koran was admired for it, and, now the head of the group, he won admiration from many…but was not, of course, without enemies.

His two cousins, Ferach and Cortim, are two of the most notable of these – after Koran, the last son of his family, dies, they will be in line to inherit leadership of the Cenbryts. They are therefore fairly keen to get rid of their young cousin – and their influence was the main reason he is now leading the group in Mirkwood. His cousins sent him saying it was only proper that the head of one of the most affluent (hardly!) clans was sent, as a note of morale – and they very much doubt they will ever see him again.

I am not sure what to post on the first post - where will we be starting?

Hope you approve,

- Aman
Old 05-05-2004, 05:00 PM   #108
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Of course I approve! Excellent, as usual, Aman. His history is marvellously done, his description is deeply detailed, and Koran is perfect for the job.

Regarding the first posts, for everyone: I really never did specify where exactly we would start out. Here's the best I came up with:

The game should start out with posts from everyone, placed in a specific order from group to group. In writing your posts, this order shouldn't be worried about. The importance is where you begin:

The Mirkwood scouts will begin in southern Mirkwood, and the first post should have them first discovering the army. It would seem likely that observations of Dol Guldur would lead them to further invesitgation, as the fortress would seem largely quiet. It is a possibility that troops (or even the trolls, perhaps) could be seen marching out of the fortress (in the trolls' case, be lead out of the fortress) to gather with the rest of the army. These troops could be followed to discover the gathering place of the army.

The baddies within the army will want to post of preparations for departure. They will be waiting to depart for Lorien. The exact location of where they gather outside the forest, to the north of Dol Guldur (I'm looking at a map right now, so it may sound more reasonable to me...). They will be heading west and slightly south toward Lorien, ready to cross the Anduin. At the River is where the special forces will break away from the rest of the army. Perhaps some excitement might arise from trying to get the trolls settled in...

The Lorien envoy will begin outside Lorien, perhaps having left that morning, with it now being midday in your post. You will be heading north, and so it is inevitable that you will cross the path of the army. How exactly that will happen has yet to be fully decided, of course.... But you guys don't know you're going to be captured yet, much less that there's an army at all.

I hope that helps. This should help everyone some more (again, I hope):

Army’s Attack Plan

Army departs from Dol Guldur and heads straight west, and a little south, toward Lorien. Among the army are trolls to build a floating bridge across the Anduin. When the Anduin is reached, and the building of the bridge begins, the special force separates, heading around to attack Caras Galadon from the South, timing their attack to as soon after the army moves in as possible.
  • The elven party will make their way around to the north, avoiding any chance of coming across the army. Since the army, and the special forces (till the Anduin is reached) will be slowed by the trolls, as well as the large numbers, the elven party has a pretty good chance of reaching Lorien before the army attacks.

Okay. We're getting there. And watch me be the last to get my bio and first post up.

Thanks everyone. You're patient and hard working. I'm anxiously awaiting bios and first posts from everyone, but don't rush yourselves. Again, wonderful job, Aman.

I believe we're getting there...still think we can start up around the 1st of June? I think so.

-Durelin

Last edited by Durelin; 05-05-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #109
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

OK, here it is -- I didn't win the race to get the first bio and post up, even though I've been working on it diligently for over a week now! -- thanks to the request that I come up with a couple of carry along guards (which I had to incorporate into the post).

I'm happy to do it, of course, I just rankle at the lost opportunity to be first -- curse you Aman!

I wasn't sure what kind of info I had to give for my carry-alongs in addition to what goes in the post. There's not much more than you see there, really, but at any rate:

Megilaes and Caranbaith are fraternal twin brothers. They are young Elves, only about three hundred years old, who are being taught the ways of Lorien warfare by Ambarturion (my guy). They are both armed with bows and the short daggers favoured by the Silvan Elves. They are both fair haired, but Megliaes is the taller of the two, while Caranbaith has the fairer singing voice.

NAME: Ambarturion

RACE: Elf (Silvan)

WEAPONS: Ambarturion bears a bow of the Galadhrim and an ancient sword of Doriath. The sword is made of white steel and engraved in such a manner that when drawn in moonlight it appears to glow like a descended star. Its blade is long and tapered, as was the manner of weaponry for Elves in the First Age, and the pommel is wrapped in tightly bound cords of supple leather. Upon the crosspiece there is mounted a single pale gem – the last heirloom of his house.

APPEARANCE: Ambarturion is very tall and very graceful, and even among the Elves of Lorien he is known for the extremity of both his beauty and the severity of countenance which mars it. His raven-black hair is cropped just below the shoulders and his keen grey eyes shine with the memory of the fearless dark. His face is stern and proud, but possessed of great nobility and lineage. He wears the grey cloak of Lorien over a simple tunic and doublet of forest green, and his long legs are clad in supple breeches also of forest hue. He bears neither ornament nor jewel. Ambarturion rarely smiles or laughs.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Ambarturion bears himself as one of the Noldor, for he has spent almost his whole life in the company and service of the Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn. His life is defined by the love that binds him to his Lord and Lady, and this is the source both of his greatness and of the distant pride that many remark in him. But for his loyalty to them, Ambarturion would long ago have forsaken Middle-Earth and made the journey to the Grey Havens – as he is ever counselling the Lord and Lady of the Galadhrim to do. He cares little for the other folk of Middle-Earth, and is convinced that whether Sauron conquer them or not is of little purpose, for none of their works or deeds has rivalled those of the Elves in the Elder Days. Of all the Free Peoples, he values only the Ents and the Dunedain, but even they are the fallen remnants of a once mightier race.

HISTORY: Born in the First Years of the Sun, Ambarturion was raised within the protection of the Girdle of Melian where Thingol reigned as High King. When he was old enough to enter the service of a lord, he swore fealty to his kinsman Celeborn and to his Lady, beautiful and glorious beyond bearing. Since then, his fate has been bound to that of his Lord and Lady and his life has been the chronicle of his people’s long defeat. His tears at Ninaeth Arnodad were shed for his brother and father who were slain by balrogs in the first charge of the Elves. He beheld with wonder the host of the Valar and their destruction of Thangbad. He marched under the banners of Thingol and Gil-Galad in their defeats of Sauron, and was among those who Galadriel sent to welcome the Faithful back to Middle-Earth at the fall of Numenor. It was upon his return from this journey that his mother told him of her decision to leave Middle-Earth, and he had longed to follow her, for he loved her greatly and their parting was grievous. But the love he bore for Celeborn and Galadriel overcame this desire and his mother departed alone.

Through the long tale of years since then, his thoughts have turned increasingly to the Undying Lands. For the faint echo of the West that he had seen within the Girdle has grown with the years until it has become as a waking dream for him: ever present before his eyes, dulling the small world of mortal folk and leading him further and further away from their troubles. It was a sore trial for him to know that the One Ring had been within the very grasp of his Lady, but that she had let it slip away from her and into the hands of Sauron, borne thence by a race of witless folk unsung and unheralded in any song or tale. His weariness with Middle-Earth has been made more unbearable through the Ages by the constant loss of those companions of his youth who had, like him, sworn fealty to Celeborn in Melian. Many of his friends fell in the endless battles against the servants of Thangbad and then Mordor. The rest have taken their place in the ships that sailed away from these shores. Of all those who had once gathered about Celeborn as his Companions, Ambarturion alone remains.

On the day when he first came to Lothlorien with his Lord, he made the ways of the forest his study, and spent all his energies in preparing for the land’s defence. None among the Elves bore a steadier hand with the bow, and his sword, already tempered by two Ages of service in the war against Melkor and his servants, had been sharpened and renewed through countless years of careful practice. For centuries he has been entrusted with the instruction of younger Elves in the art of war, but he wearied of teaching only, and has taken to wandering the fringes of the Golden Wood for weeks on end, relentlessly prowling and hunting for their enemies. His journeys have taken him further and further afield, as far as the fringes of Mirkwood to the East, and to the Gladden Fields and the Brown Lands to the North and South. And always in these journeys is his purpose the same: to slay the servants of Sauron in order to forestall their inevitable victory for as long as he might, in the hopes that Celeborn and Galadriel will cease their fruitless quest to save Middle-Earth and follow his counsel to take the straight road into the West.

FIRST POST

The light of midday cast Ambartrion’s shadow before him as he strode easily through the long grass of the Vale of Anduin. The party had left the eaves of Lorien in the morning and as always happened when he walked in the outside world, the dull reality of it settled upon him like a fine ash. The trees that stood in clumps about the plain were naked sticks that clung to life in a chill and desolate landscape, little different to him than the Brown Lands to the South. There came to his keen ears from time to time the falling cry of desperate birds and the rush of troubled waters over impertinent stones. He sought the solace of memory, moving in his mind across earth that seemed more real than the solid ground beneath his feet. More and more had he done so of late, to the point where the few companions that he allowed to join him in his journeys outside the Golden Wood became concerned that he was withdrawing from the waking world of Middle-Earth to a point where he could not, perhaps, return. And, indeed, he was always reluctant to leave the lands of memory and rejoin the fallen and stale world of the present reality, and was often curt with those who called him hither.

This time it was his student Caranbaith who called him back. With a light touch on his master’s shoulder, the youth pointed to the distant horizon saying, “If I see aright, the Mirrormere lies before us, and we are heading a bit west of north. Do we not take the long way round to the Woodmen of Mirkwood by this route?” Ambarturion sighed at the youth, impatient with his question. Megilaes, Caranbaith’s brother and also student to Ambarturion, caught the manner of their master’s reaction and quickly held his tongue.

“Your eyes do not deceive you,” he replied quickly. “There is great need of haste put upon us, but these lands are dangerous and we must take what care we can. I intend to lead the ambassadors somewhat west of the Anduin for a day before turning toward the River. There is a place two days’ march from where we shall stop this night where we can ford the waters and then strike north and east to the Woodmen.” Caranbaith nodded quickly and fell silent before the manner of his master. He and his brother had been in his tutelage for only a short time, barely one lifetime of mortal Men, but in that time he had found his master to be impenetrable in many ways. On some days he would answer their questions with patient forbearance of their youth, gently instructing them in the ways of war. On days such as this appeared to be, however, he resented any intrusion to his thoughts and would quickly put down any attempt to interrupt his inner life. Sensing that he would say no more that day, the brothers fell back to walk a few paces behind their master.

And thus did the company proceed through that afternoon. Ambarturion strode along out front, his pace never slackening or changing, his eyes fixed straight ahead, alert to all possible danger, but unseeing of much that passed before the eyes of the others, lost as he was in the world of his youth. Behind him followed his students, who diligently swept the horizon with their keen eyes as they had been taught, ever vigilant against the threats of this uncertain world. Behind them came the ambassadors, with their servant in the rear of the little column keeping watch behind.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 05-06-2004 at 10:27 AM. Reason: To fix my atrocious verb usage
Old 05-07-2004, 04:38 PM   #110
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Excellent as well, Fordim. And I am very sorry about the request for a couple carry-alongs...but, it was only a request. Thank you a thousand times over for taking on that request.

It's interesting, I planned for my character to be greatly concerned for the wellfare of Middle Earth, and in love with the land still.

Great, now I must get working on mine.

Arvedui - I still need to know what character you wish to play very soon, and hopefully get a bio from you soon thereafter. I understand that people get busy, but I just want to keep reminding you.

-Durelin
Old 05-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #111
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Sorry *pant* I'm *pant* late. Lots of junk has been about, but I won't go into that. Herm...may I play one of the Mirkwood scouts? I'll have the profile up by tonight.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #112
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Arvedui

Have put you on the proposal as one of the Mirkwoodians.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-08-2004, 11:58 PM   #113
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Boots

*Yawn* All righty, I'm here, with one Easterling servant in tow. Let me know what you guys and gals think. I'll get a first post up soon, but for now I'm exhausted seeing as how it's two in the morning. In any case, do you have plans for your first post, Aman, that might be affected by my first post? I just want to make sure.

Name: Ehan Fazian

Race: Haradrim

Weapons: Ehan likes to think that he can do anything with his light, thin rapier. The blade is inscribed with prayers and blessings in his native tongue, while the hilt and pommel are unadorned and carved of plain, dark, but well polished wood. Ehan also carries two daggers given to him by his brother, but rarely, if ever, does he use them. He’s useless with the bow, and could kill himself just trying to get an arrow to fly much less trying to get it to hit any sort of target. Ehan fights like everything is a game, and enjoys every minute spent with his sword in hand.

Appearance: Standing just below six feet, Ehan is built tall and lean like most men of his clan. His brown skin and athletic build are both testament to her heritage and upbringing. Ehan’s face has a noble bone structure, with the stubborn chin and high cheekbones that many of his proud tribe possesses. Only a slight scar beneath his right eye, scraping all the way to his temple and hairline, mars Ehan’s face. His thick, wispy crop of soft, black hair is cut to the bottom of his neck and often falls in his face, framing his boyish face. Ehan’s black eyes are playful and bright, and his lips are often seen upturned in a smile or infected with laughter.

Personality: Ehan takes few things seriously, for at heart he is still the young, wild boy in spirit that he used to be in body. He treats everything as a game and a new experience, even if it is a task he accomplishes everyday. Ehan likes to make light of any situation, looking on the bright side or at least making a joke about any subject he deems too serious. Ehan never wonders if his childlike persona bothers others, for even if it does he will not change the person he loves to be. He is not so much carefree or happy, as much as he is just simple and blunt. Ehan sees everything in black and white, no greys or in-betweens, for Ehan sees everything with the clarity and simplicity of a child. His inability to take many things seriously might be his downfall, but it hasn’t cost him yet, and has just given him more fuel to do anything he does. When Ehan fights and uses his rapier, he battles in a gallant, brave manner as he thinks a warrior of old would, or perhaps fiercely and passionately as he thinks a squalid corsair would. Ehan’s life is a mockery and imitation of the excitement and adventure he wishes his life really had. Dying does not frighten Ehan, and the only fear that springs from death is the fear that he might not have lived and done all he could.

History: When Ehan was born, his grandfather Faziar was the leader of the clan. He headed a group of mentally and physically strong-willed men and women. Faziar, the namesake of the clan, passed away in battle, along with Ehan’s mother and several others when Ehan was not yet ten years old. At this point, Ehan’s father took over, leading the clan and his four children. Ehan was youngest of three boys and one girl.

Ehan spent a good deal of time with his older sister, who had seniority over him by three years. His sister spun tales and weaved stories of the highest caliber, and these themes and morals were always in his heart. Ehan’s older brothers taught him all there was to know about swordplay, but were at a loss when it came to teaching him how to send an arrow flying. This brought much comedy to the youngest generation of the Fazian clan, but it also brought a few minor injuries until it got to the point where Ehan was not allowed near a bow and quiver.

Ehan’s father passed away in battle when Ehan was fifteen, as did his eldest brother and beloved sister. After losing his best friend, Ehan kept her memory alive by living as the heroes in her stories, or living with the values he thought they would possess. Ehan’s remaining older brother took over, leading the clan with brash abandon that came with his arrogance and cockiness. Ehan’s brother liked to spread his people as thin as he could, dabbling the strong Fazian clan in any skirmishes or situations he could. So, Ehan was sent as representative and leader of a small group of his clan to work with the forces entering Mirkwood, working under Koran.

He sees it as another adventure.

--

'Night, all!

-Aylwen

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 05-09-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:25 PM   #114
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Bringing these forward – so that Aman and Aylwen can coordinate their first posts:

Aman:

Quote:
I am not sure what to post on the first post - where will we be starting?
----------------------------------

From Durelin:

Quote:
The baddies within the army will want to post of preparations for departure. They will be waiting to depart for Lorien. The exact location of where they gather outside the forest, to the north of Dol Guldur (I'm looking at a map right now, so it may sound more reasonable to me...). They will be heading west and slightly south toward Lorien, ready to cross the Anduin. At the River is where the special forces will break away from the rest of the army. Perhaps some excitement might arise from trying to get the trolls settled in...

Also:

Army’s Attack Plan

Army departs from Dol Guldur and heads straight west, and a little south, toward Lorien. Among the army are trolls to build a floating bridge across the Anduin. When the Anduin is reached, and the building of the bridge begins, the special force separates, heading around to attack Caras Galadon from the South, timing their attack to as soon after the army moves in as possible.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #115
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Here's my bio, with a first post soon to come. BIO ON THE PROPOSAL FORM ~*~ PIO

Name: Calenvása

Race: Sindarin Elf of Mirkwood

Weapons: Calenvása has never had need of learning the arts of war, nor has he ever wandered far from his home in Mirkwood. Since it has only been a short time that his homeland has been in danger, and Calenvása has found it hard to bring himself to defending his land, though it be his, he has never picked up a larger weapon than his hunting knife. It is a fairly long blade, slightly curved, with the sharpened edge along the back of the curve. Engraved in the dark oak handle is the Sun, her rays running both up and down, twisting and encircling both the handle and the blade. Calenvása has always found the Sun to be the greatest beauty of the Earth, this Middle-Earth that he holds dear in his heart, still. Its picture being on this weapon, which he carries at all times, now, does remind him that it sets in the West, as well. The other weapon he carries is a shortbow, another hunting weapon, and very useful within the forest. Both these weapons are useful now that he has given his service to Mirkwood as a Scout.

Appearance: Fairly tall, though not so tall among his kind, standing at 6 feet, 2 inches, he has the light complexion of the Sindarin elves, with typical grey eyes and blonde hair, which is allowed to grown down to just below his waist. He dresses in a tunic and leggings of dark forest colors, soft boots of brown leather, as well as bracers upon his arms.

Personality: Calenvása is still in love with Middle-Earth, and still mesmerized by its beauty. He is able to find so much more wonder in this world than many others, and dreams of nothing more. Never has his thoughts drifted to what he does not have, to what lies beyond. He has never left his own land, though he has wished to for many years. And when Elves and Men fought the Shadow thousands of years ago, the Shadow that has rose again, he remained in his land. His love for the World has never been great enough to overcome his fear. It is hard for Calenvása even now, though he is but a scout. He has no wish to face death, a concept he and his people have had little understanding of for many years, safe in their immortal haven. Even now, when the Shadow has been present within his home itself, he is unable to pick up any weapon more than the ones he has hunted with for many a peaceful year. As a scout, Calenvása predicted that he would not have to face his fears, but his prediction has been proven wrong several times since he first offered his service to Mirkwood. And now that his troop’s scouting has led him closer and closer to Dol Guldur, a pit of evil among part of which was the Elves’ glorious home, he is concerned that he will be forced to face much.

Though this fear has been ever present within him, Calenvása’s intelligence and ability to hide his emotions has allowed him to keep the fear from showing at all, except when he must use his knife or bow. It is mainly because of this that he is still only a Captain. He is a quick thinker, when fear does not prey at his mind, and his wisdom from many years is great. Another thing that impairs him is that he is not much of a leader, as he is reluctant to take command. He is readily able to make decisions, but is very often afraid to act upon them. Calenvása is never found lacking words, and he can be a very charismatic person. Also, he tends to be a very cheery person, always ready with a smile. This cheeriness stems from an insecurity, though, as he is unable to take things too seriously.

Calenvása cannot even think seriously of his fate. He knows only of Middle-Earth, and wishes to know nothing else. He keeps his ears closed to the sound of the Sea, and refuses to follow the Sun into the West. For now, he is content with this denial, as there is much yet to do for his Middle-Earth.

History: Calenvása has dwelt in Mirkwood and watched the Shadow grow over it, doing nothing, for quite some time. But when the fortress of Dol Guldur was made a stronghold of evil within the forest itself, Calenvása decided that it was time he gave his service. He rose to the rank of Captain among the Scouts very quickly, mainly because of his long ties with Mirkwood and its King, Thranduil. He once was offered a position among Thranduil’s councilors - which was offered because of a combination of Calenvása’s wisdom and family ties with the King - but declined it. He would have declined the offer of being made Captain, if he could have.

Authority, responsibility has never been a wish. Being involved in anything has been of little interest to Calenvása, as living has been enough. For years he has fought a war within himself, fighting against his fears with the love he has for Middle-Earth. He still fights it now, but has made much progress. Becoming Scout Captain has been one step, and he has steadily become more determined to do what he can. Unfortunately, he believes that what he can do is very limited.

The men he serves with still wonder about him, but they have grown to know him as of good spirit and good intention. They follow his lead, and lead when there is need of it.

~*~*Durelin's First Post*~*~

As leaves were disturbed in the underbrush of the forest, a cold finger came down to touch Calenvása’s skin and run down his neck. The drop of dew had clung to the leaves well into the morning, hiding from the sunlight of the early morning. The elf forced himself to remain still, though a tremor threatened to run through his body and his hand desired to brush away the itchy stream of water. As he had come to learn after years of practice, becoming someone else was the only way to escape feelings. Calenvása let his mind focus on what his eyes observed, and let it free to view the scene from whatever direction it wished. It of course was impossible for his mind to literally wander freely; it felt so odd only because this was true serenity.

What his eyes observed through thick growth and scattered branches and leaves hanging down into his line of sight was, in particular, a rather large orc garbed in an assortment of leather armor that still left quite a bit of dark skin bare sit and sharpen a huge slab of metal that was obviously thought of as a sword. Not two feet away another orc stood; and another; and another. It had been quite some time since this many dark creatures had been gathered in one spot. In this case, their numbers were so great that they had to gather outside the forest. Because of this, Calenvása could not get close enough to see how large a force was actually gathered here. But his eyes proved keen enough to tell that this was an army, and one comprised of thousands of orcs…

A flash of gold far away before him and to the right caught Calenvása’s eye. An army comprised of thousands of orcs…and easterlings. A more sophisticated type of armor could only mean that evil Men were a part of this force as well. That was to be expected, of course, if this force was meant to carry out specific orders. These specific orders were one of the most important things to be learned from observing this force. For now, though, the most specific Calenvása wished to get was what this army’s destination was.

Calenvása decided to break the serenity and turn his head slowly to each side. He could see the elves that crouched beside him and behind him in the underbrush. They had been intently observing the movements of every single creature assemble among the swiftly clearing trees on the edge of the forest, but Calenvása’s slight movement had brought their eyes to him. Slowly bringing his hand up where it would be visible to all around him, he motioned to them and gestured behind him. They would need to meet to discuss their observations and decide on a plan of action.

One by one the elves moved deeper into the forest, deeper into the cover of the trees. Calenvása waited quiet and still for several minutes to make sure that he was the last to move. All the while his thoughts tried to piece together any clues he might have seen, going through the pictures in his searching for any information that was not obvious. All the while he could only wonder which route the army would take. Would they head north, to attack the part of Mirkwood still held by his kindred? Or would the army head east and south, to the Golden Wood, a sanctuary of beauty and home of his brothers?

It had been several years now that the darkness had been growing, and the role of Calenvása and these elves as scouts had become of dire importance. Much rested in the hands of Calenvása, who had been given command of this scout troop or Mirkwood. He wished with all his heart to help Mirkwood fight back against the Shadow, but he could not help but be discouraged, especially with the image of thousands of orcs assembled just outside the boughs of his home.

Finally feeling that he had given his comrades enough time to make their way a safe distance from the creatures that so tainted the forest. He carefully made his way through the underbrush still in a crouch, and sheathed his belt knife as he did so. He had felt safer with it in his hand as he stared at that orc sharpening his sword.

Last edited by Durelin; 05-10-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #116
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril Koran's first post

Ok, here we go, see what you think - Aylwen, I am of course open to all changes you wish to make. The reason I have portrayed Ehan as being quite stiff and formal is because he does not currently know Koran very well and as Koran is his immediate superior, would therefore probably not be completely easy with him.

~*~Amanaduial's Post~*~

Koran Cenbryt brushed at a curl of dark hair that crept from behind his ear as he leant over his pack, checking for anything he may have forgotten and running over in his head the route that the army would take. West verging a little South from the North side of the fortress, towards the Wood of Golden Leaves, where...

This was not by any means the first expedition he had been on, and neither was it one that he especially wished to be involved with; but, ironically, it was the one that would probably be most important in the future. The young Haradrim warrior shook his head wryly at the thought, his hand reaching to the beaded necklace he wore, feeling the delicate carving of the flame on the central bead. ’I won’t let anything go wrong…the Cenbryt clan is mine, mine by right, and so it shall remain, no matter what my cousins plot and scheme together…

Koran was not against the rest of the clans, of course: such a thought would be foolhardy, especially when his was waning so much, especially in the last few weeks and months – his cousins, although set to gain his clan for their own, were nonetheless slowly eliminating by sending off on foolhardy missions many of the older warriors who were close to Koran. At this rate, if Koran as to fall, they would inherit a clan without any warriors left! Still, although it was of course a diplomatic move that he saw the sense in, Koran nonetheless felt uneasy about the mission – there was something not right, something that was being hidden from him in all this, even though he was commanding the separate force that would then split off from the main army. That would, of course, include orcs – he curled a lip slightly at this. He detested working with them – he steadfastly believed beetles to have more intelligence than the filthy Uruks. And when he was actually meant to be commanding as an equal with one of them…he shook his head again bitterly. If my brothers were still alive…

“Koran Cenbryt?” The words made the warrior look up to see a younger man standing nearby, at a respectful distance. He rose from his crouch to be level with him, squinting against the sun from the high outpost. The man looked to be several years younger than Koran, and had a surprisingly boyish face, although it was currently all seriousness. As Koran rose, wiping one hand on the back of his trousers, the younger man touched the back of two knuckles of his right hand to the centre of his forehead - a respectful salute. Koran inclined his head - the man was obviously not his superior then, although he still didn't know who he was.

"I am Ehan Fazian," the man continued by means of an introduction. "I will be joining you in the force that splits off from the main army and we will, I gather, be together for most of the journey."

Koran nodded again. "Koran Cenbryt," he added, just to introduce himself personally, although the other obviously knew who he was. Ehan grinned suddenly. "Not a man of very many words, hmm?"

Koran, surprised at the casual tone and phrasing, raised an eyebrow, and the other man raised his chin very slightly, defiant if it came to it. Then he grinned. "If we are to fight together, you may think differently by the end," he replied, his voice soft but more friendly now. "Come, we must join the rest of the force - I suppose you know the route already?"

~*~*~

Hmm, see what you think
Old 05-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #117
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin's first post is up! I placed it with my bio, hoping that would make things easier for you, Pio. (Sorry if they don't...)

Very nice, Aman! I hope Aylwen approves of it.

The following is still needed:

Arvedui III's -
  • Character Choice - Has Chosen See Proposal Form - Pio
  • Character Bio
  • First Post

Roa Aoife's -
  • Character Bio
  • First Post

Aylwen's -
  • First Post

Thanks everyone, we're getting there!

-Durelin

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-11-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:42 PM   #118
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Hey....

First Post:

---

"Come, we must join the rest of the force - I suppose you know the route already?" Ehan relaxed visibly as the man called Koran began to speak in a more friendly manner. The younger easterling let did not hide his amiable expression anymore, though he had already begun to wonder how well his personality would match Koran's. Ehan feared the worst, perhaps a head-on collision and clash between Koran's persona and Ehan's light-hearted simplicity. Still, Ehan pulled himself from the short look into the future and back into the present where he knew his head always belonged, and decided to cross all bridges when he got to them.

"Of course I do, sir!" Ehan cried gallantly, drawing his rapier dramatically and pointing it in the direction of the pathway that led down to where many easterlings had set up camp. Where the orcs were, Ehan did not know, but the thought intrigued him anyway. Seeing such ugly monstrosities brought rise to the blood-thirsty warrior in Ehan, despite the disappointing fact that these 'ugly monstrosities' would be on his side in this whole expedition. What a shame...to think how much fun I could have slaying those things. But there are other enemies. Snapping out of his reverie and realizing that he still stood motionless with his rapier held in the air, Ehan chuckled, embarrassed, and continued, "Yes, right. Onward!" and sheathed his sword.

Ehan led Koran down the path that went downward from the slight hilltop they had formerly been standing on, even though Ehan realized that Koran must have known the route as well. Trying not to kick up dirt on the excursion to the campsites. Ehan looked back once to see Koran looking off into the distance, and the young man wondered if Koran was in another time and place. When the two reached the bottom of the rocky, dusty hill, Ehan turned to face Koran once again. This time, the man hit Ehan with a question before Ehan could say aught else.

"How many has your clan sent with you?" Koran asked, looking at Ehan momentarily before stealing a glance at the sturdy men (and some women) behind Ehan, all the warriors from different tribes and clans.

"Well...I would imagine close to five and ten men...or, well...maybe almost twenty men and women. You know, the Fazian clan has rather strong-minded and strong-bodied ladies, as well. My sister-" Ehan stammered at first, but what should have just been a simple answer turned into a lengthy explanation. When Ehan noticed that Koran didn't seem to have much time for stories, Ehan quieted. "Yes. Well, I would say fifteen strong men and women come from the Fazian clan."

"Right. Good," Koran mused, a light smile playing on his lips.

This is going to turn out to be very interesting...Ehan thought. Yes, I can tell already.

--

Aman, if you have any objections feel free to tell me and I can edit.

-Aylwen
Old 05-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #119
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

On the contrary, that's lovely, Aylwen Thanks.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #120
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Aylwen

Have moved your post to the proposal form.