The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2003, 09:30 PM   #1
gonies_kid

Question Valinor

I was wondering who the founders/leaders of Valinor are. I forgot, and like the idiot I can be, i haven't the resources to find out. please help me.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't put yourself down! Just look to the name. The Valar founded Valinor. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to the Downs, Gonies, and as your first post is on a strictly bookish matter, I have great confidence that you will provide good discussion as your corpse rots. Have fun, and (just to be safe) read the Forum FAQ in the Novices & Newcomers Forum. It will advise you on how to start new threads, how to find information that you might want, and any other relevent tips that will be helpful during your membership, as you rise from an Animated Skeleton, to a Ghost Prince, and finally (perhaps) obtain your own personal title. Enjoy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Iarwain

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 08-26-2003, 11:09 PM   #3
gonies_kid

Question

what was the woman's name that founded it with him. I know there are 2 main people who founded valinor and i was just wondering who both are.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:00 AM   #4
Måns
Haunting Spirit

Måns has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm hard to tell, I ahve never felt that someone specific did found Valinor, only as Iarwain sais the valar collectively. Nevertheless, I think you are refering to Varda, the spouse of Manwë. They are two of the greatest valar, both of them stayed true to Iluvatar, striving for the good of men and elves, in difference from Melkor who was the most like to Manwë, only more powerful.

Måns

Welcome to the downs, have a pleasant period of slowly decaying!

Josef Stalin
Måns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Valinor was just a part of ea that was created along with midde-earth in the music of the ainur, and that the Valar took it as their land while melkor inhabited middle-earth. (needless to say that the valar did make great changes to the land to make it better fit their purposes, as did melkor)
Old 09-06-2003, 10:50 AM   #6
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would have to say that the Valar did found Valinor in about the same way the United States was founded(or any other country for that matter). The Valar came to Ea and chose the land on which Valinor sould be located to be their country. So they set it apart as their abode, and made it independent from all outsiders. I don't think that just one or two of them could have done this, they would have all had a part in the process.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:31 PM   #7
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
I thought Valinor was just a part of ea that was created along with midde-earth in the music of the ainur, and that the Valar took it as their land while melkor inhabited middle-earth. (needless to say that the valar did make great changes to the land to make it better fit their purposes, as did melkor)
I think I agree with Gurthang on how it was founded, but I'm not so sure about this. I know that the Valar inhabited Valinor, but didn't most of the Valar walk the lands of Middle Earth for a long time before Melkor actually started destroying it? I'm not so sure on my facts right now for my book is out of reach, but I thought that they were actually part of Middle Earth for a while.

I know I remember something about Ulmo for he still roamed Middle Earth after a long time had passed, but didn't Varda and Yavanna stay there for a while as well. I thought I remembered it saying in the Silm that Yavanna was there creating the forests and so forth. Was she actually in Middle Earth or just in Valinor doing all of this? It has been a topic that I have been wondering about.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #8
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yavanna probably was in Middle-earth, and Ulmo was in Utgarsecg. I don't recall Varda staying in Middle-earth that long. Didn't Orome also frequently roam Middle-earth like Yavanna did. In the old mythology, he was Yavanna's son.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 02:58 PM   #9
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, valinor wasn't really set apart form the rest of arda until the 2nd age when Neumenor came with the great fleet right? i think that most or all of the valar helped in shaping valinor to there likings. maybe ulmo and yavanna didnt help.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:23 PM   #10
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Sting

Quote:
Technically true, but really every city and place and item in all of Ea were created by the music of the Ainur.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:54 PM   #11
Nuryave

Silmaril

Well, I'm new to barrow downs, my name is Nuryave, but I do know of the Valar. It was a joint effort on the part of the Valar to found Valinor. But it was Manwe and Varda Tintalle who were the leaders in Valinor.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:29 AM   #12
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Valinor was founded after the Spring of Arda was ended, and Almaren in ruins. They went there because they wanted a place safe from Morgoth. As for the process of choosing the spot, and building of the actual place, that's beyond me, or ME. Whatever
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 01:12 AM   #13
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Technically true, but really every city and place and item in all of Ea were created by the music of the Ainur.
Not items or cities. Sometimes predestined, in 'theme' form, to an extent; but actual cities and items in the world are created physically by its inhabitants.

Built out of the Music and the word of Illuvatar, though, yes.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote