The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2003, 07:42 PM   #841
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

"Strider now turned their course again north-eastwards, and on the sixth day they reached the top of a long slow-climbing slope, and saw far ahead a huddle of wooded hills."

Peony didn't even ask Strider this time if Rivendell lay somewhere amongst those hills they could glimpse. He always answered patiently, but she didn't really want to know how far they still had to go.

But Sam whispered to her: "Only a bit over a hundred miles now, and we've come over three hundred already from Hobbiton."

"How is Frodo hanging on?" she asked.

"He's hanging on," Sam answered, sounding sure but looking less so.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:26 PM   #842
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I've only started this recently and I have 450.31 miles left to walk before I reach Rivendell...
Arathiriel: Welcome to our journey! Don't be discouraged..the miles will soon add up!! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

The sun finally showed her face today, and we were mighty glad to see her at first. But it quickly grew so hot that by the afternoon we started longing for some cloud cover. Strider says that no one lives in these lands any longer, and it appears empty and forsaken. We have seen no sign of Black Riders, but the feeling of being watched continues to grow.

--------------------

Frodo, who was not walking, had time to gaze ahead and to think. He recalled Bilbo's account of his journey and the threatening towers on the hills north of the Road, in the country near the Troll's wood where his first serious adventure had happened. Frodo guessed that they were now in the same region, and wondered if by chance they would pass near the spot.

"Who lives in this land?" he asked. "And who built these towers? Is this troll-country?"

"No!" said Strider. "Trolls do not build. No one lives in this land. Men once dwelt here, ages ago; but none remain now. They became an evil people, as legends tell, for they fell under the shadow of Angmar. But all were destroyed in the war that brought the North Kingdom to its end. But that is now so long ago that the hills have forgotten them, though a shadow still lies on the land."
Old 08-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #843
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Raefindel,

Tea sounds great to me! I take sugar, and... er... soymilk. It's hard to find in Middle-Earth. Perhaps I should have peppermint tea instead and then I won't need anything to lighten it...

Glorfindel, I don't suppose you could tell me a good place to find soymilk around here? No? I was afraid not. Well, on second thought, how about just telling me where to get those silver bells on Asfaloth's headstall? They sound so cheerful. Perhaps a pair of earrings...

Ah, thanks, Raefindel. (Takes cup of peppermint tea with contented sigh, peers at Frodo) Hmmm, looks like he needs more than peppermint.
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:36 AM   #844
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Why thank you, Rae! I'd love some tea, green tea, if possible. Linnamalle's peppermint tea reminds me of a restaurant in which I once ordered green tea and was brought peppermint. Apparently, they thought that peppermint is green, so that must have been what I wanted!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I've slowed down my walking pace a bit during these hot summer days; neither the dog nor I feel like walking at noon, so we skip that one and stay in the shade of the back yard during the hottest time of the day. Nevertheless, it should be no problem to reach Rivendell within this month. After that - does anyone know how far it is to Lothlorien?? Maybe I can reach it by the end of the year...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:29 AM   #845
Tefalathiel
Pile O'Bones

Tefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm back... Well, you probably wouldn't notice if I totally dissapeared. I trully am a loner, aren't I? I suppose my subconcious likes like this... a shadow among the Barrowdowns.
Raindrop tears on the leaves... Summerevening's air... They say the road is more important than the destination and it is true. I'm no longer upset to be left behind. Summer is my world, my birthday is approaching and I don't want my journey through Middle Earth to end... never ever end!
It seems the landscape alaways gets the best of me... I'm lost... Can anyone tell me where I am at 233 miles?

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Tefalathiel ]
Old 08-03-2003, 06:09 AM   #846
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tefalathiel, go here and type in your miles, and you will see! No need to be lonely-- with this many people on the trail, somebodys bound to be near you. Check that lovely milage listing that Nurumaiel keeps updating so faithfully! And then scan the horizon!
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:54 PM   #847
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Once again I'll be going through the 9 pages (:eek [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] of this thread and updating the mileage list. And guess who's only going to have 7 miles next to their total mileage? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

If you don't have your mileage in your FROM: space, please put it there if you don't wish to be overlooked in our list. You can do this by hitting the 'My Profile' link near the top of the screen. You'll got to your profile where you list of private messages etc. are, and you'll find a link that says 'View/Update Profile.' Click on it, and then you can put your mileage in your FROM: space.

I'll try to get the newest walkers who don't have their mileage in their FROM: space, but I won't guarantee anything.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #848
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

The tea was delicious; the company even better. I'm taking advantage of the cooling trend and getting in a few extra miles.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:56 PM   #849
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Quote:
After that - does anyone know how far it is to Lothlorien?? Maybe I can reach it by the end of the year...

Estelyn: Well, if I added the mileage from my Atlas correctly, it's 285 miles from Rivendell to Lórien; 393 miles from Lórien to Rauros; and 470 miles from Rauros to Mt. Doom. It's a total of 1,606 miles from Bag End to Mt. Doom. I think I can make it to Lórien by the time RotK opens. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

It was quite hot again today. The heat and humidity made us long for the rain and cooler weather to return. The silence of the land and the increasing feeling of watchfulness is beginning to affect the spirits of our company. By day, we walk without speaking, and at night are too weary for tales or songs. I have always enjoyed solitude and the quiet of nature, but I find myself longing for Rivendell, and the singing and storytelling (and the feasting) that is so much a part of Elrond's House.

--------------------

"Where did you learn such tales, if all the land is empty and forgetful?" asked Peregrin. "The birds and beasts do not tell tales of that sort."

"The heirs of Elendil do not forget all things past," said Strider; "and many more things than I can tell are remembered in Rivendell."

"Have you often been to Rivendell?" said Frodo.

"I have," said Strider. "I dwelt there once, and still I return when I may. There my heart is; but it is not my fate to sit in peace, even in the fair house of Elrond."
Old 08-04-2003, 01:14 AM   #850
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

After a long journey I have finally made it to the last homely house. I am now in sitting with Elrond in the Hall of Fire. I have finally made it to Rivendell [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2003, 09:24 AM   #851
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

A walk to Lothlorien would be good. One leg of the Journey at a time.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:42 AM   #852
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Gorwingel, congratulations! Don't forget to update your mileage on the Éowyn site and drop them a note to let them know of your arrival. (The link to the page for those who have arrived in Rivendell is in one of my above posts.)

Alatįriėl, thanks for that information! I will gladly stretch the challenge to include a walk to Lothlórien; that should be doable before the RotK movie release date.

Edit: I see here that Vardamar has also reached Rivendell, without telling us about it! Congratulations to you too!

[ August 04, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-04-2003, 09:37 PM   #853
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

It looks like four Barrow-Downers are currently relaxing in Rivendell: Aerowen, Linzielf, Vardamar & Gorwingel. Congratulations to all of you!

Quote:
When you reach Rivendell, if you've reported regularly to the Éowyn Challenge milestones page, you can have that accomplishment listed here. Please send an E-mail to kallycarey@insightbb.com to let them know about it.
I thought I'd bring Estelyn's post forward for all those who are getting close. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Strider is pushing us to travel as fast as we can. We still have 85 miles to go in the next 22 days. If I didn't trust his Ranger skills so much, I would think that we were traveling in circles. The countryside today looks the same as it did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that...

--------------------

The hills now began to shut them in. The Road behind held on its way to the River Bruinen, but both were now hidden from view. The travellers came into a long valley; narrow, deeply cloven, dark and silent. Trees with old and twisted roots hung over cliffs, and piled up behind into mounting slopes of pine-wood.

The hobbits grew very weary. They advanced slowly, for they had to pick their way through a pathless country, encumbered by fallen trees and tumbled rocks. As long as they could they avoided climbing for Frodo's sake, and because it was in fact difficult to find any way up out of the narrow dales.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:43 PM   #854
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Finally, I've reached Bree and appropriately I have reached it in the rain. Time to sit by the fire, hoist a pint and rest up before the next phase of the trek. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #855
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Mind if I join? I know it is pretty late, but I would still like to try. I figured that if I walk three miles a day I can make it in time. ( [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) so, is it still ok if I join?
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:23 PM   #856
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Welcome, elfearz1! Of course you can join, no matter how late you are. I was also late, though only by about 10 - 15 days. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

How glad I was to say goodbye to the Midgewater Marshes! And how exciting it is to find I've only 240 miles left to go. I was able to ride today without feeling very ahead of myself now that I've passed Bree. Only I wasn't riding a pony, I was riding a Quarter Horse... oopsies. But I used my imagination, and she was similiar to Bill, even if she wasn't as short.

You have walked 218 miles.
You have passed the eastern edge of the Midgewater Marshes (211).
It is 10 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 240 miles to Rivendell.

They had not gone far on the fifth day when they left the last straggling pools and reed-beds of the marshes behind them. The land before them began steadily to rise again. Away in the distance eastward they could now see a line of hills. The highest of them was at the right of the line and a little separated from the others. It had a conical top, slightly flattened at the summit.

'That is Weathertop,' said Strider. 'The Old Road, which we have left far away on our right, runs to the south of it and passes not far from its foot. We might reach it by noon tomorrow, if we go straight towards it. I suppose we had better do so.'
Old 08-05-2003, 09:49 PM   #857
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The clouds and rain returned this morning before sunrise, and there was a steady drizzle all day. We clambered up and down the slick, rocky hillsides with many a slip and slide. We were all covered in mud by the time we made camp. Strider found a shallow cave, and with the fire, we are able to 'enjoy' our cram and stay moderately dry.

--------------------

They had been two days in this country when the weather turned wet. The wind began to blow steadily out of the West and pour the water of the distant seas on the dark heads of the hills in fine drenching rain. By nightfall they were all soaked, and their camp was cheerless, for they could not get any fire to burn. The next day the hills rose still higher and steeper before them, and they were forced to turn away northwards out of their course. Strider seemed to be getting anxious: they were nearly ten days out from Weathertop, and their stock of provisions was beginning to run low. It went on raining.

That night they camped on a stony shelf with a rock-wall behind them, in which there was a shallow cave, a mere scoop in the cliff. Frodo was restless. The cold and wet had made his wound more painful than ever, and the ache and sense of deadly chill took away all sleep. He lay tossing and turning and listening fearfully to the stealthy night-noises: wind in chinks of rock, water dripping, a crack, the sudden rattling fall of a loosened stone.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:54 AM   #858
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Why Thank you, Nurumaiel!

Although her visit had been short she was beginning to fancy the Shire. Its inhabitant's quaint and sheltered life style seemed so innocent and lovely to her. She takes one last look at this friendly little place, then turns and trudges on; somewhat sad to leave this warm and comfortable region, but also glad for what adventures may lie ahead.

You have walked 7 miles.
You have reached Last View of Hobbiton (7).
It is 11 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 451 miles to Rivendell.

--------------------------------------------
As they began to climb its first slopes they looked back and saw the lamps in Hobbiton far off twinkling in the gentle valley of the Water. Soon it disappeared in the folds of the darkened land, and was followed by Bywater beside its grey pool. When the light of the last farm was far behind, peeping among the trees, Frodo turned and waved a hand in farewell.
(Am I doing this right? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: elfearz1 ]
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #859
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

"I am afraid we must go back to the Road here for a while," said Strider.

And then Pippin had asked the question Peony had been longing to, about what rivers they were seeing. The River that they could just glimpse, far off in the distance, ran into the valley of Rivendell!

They started off again early the next morning, and would reach the Last Bridge in a few more miles. Even though Strider was afraid they would encounter the Enemy there, Peony felt sure he would guide them safely over it, somehow.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 08-06-2003, 05:01 PM   #860
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Sorry this is so late! Next update I guarantee I'll have all the new walkers, as long as their mileage is in their FROM: space.

AS OF AUGUST 3RD
[i]Our last update was July 26th. Next to a walker?s name you will see something looking like this: (## m.) That shows how many miles they have walked since our last update. Keep up the good work!

I apologize if I left out any of our newer walkers, and my excuse is that sometimes when you?re a new walker but your mileage is not in your FROM: space, I overlook you, not realizing that you aren?t on the list. If you wish make certain that you will be displayed on this list with your correct mileage, please put your mileage in your FROM: space. Thank you!

MEMBER : MILEAGE
alaklondewen : 336 (34 m.)
Alatįriėl : 364 (32 m.)
Annunfuiniel : 144
Arvedui III : 136
Arafangwen : 391
ArwenBaggins : 354 (21 m.)
Aylwen Dreamsong : ?
bain_edhel : 12
Bulelainwen : 108
Barrow Wight : 131 (23 m.)
Durelin : 2
Durlossiel : 150 (20 m.)
dragoneyes : 145
Eärendil : 150
Eruwen : 70
Estelyn Telcontar : 410 (31 m.)
Faenaduial : 140 (15 m.)
Firondoiel : 44
Galenfea of Mirkwood : 23 (5 m.)
Gorwingel : 453 (39 m.)
Hilde Bracegirdle : 407
Horsemaiden Of The Shire : 306 (12 m.)
Ilsanie : 5.5
Joy : 14
Kalel : 32
Keowyn : 3?
Lalaith : 230
Lindolirian : 170
Linnamalle : 401 (12 m.)
Linzielf : 458 (7 m.) Rivendell, Congratulations!!
LotrMaster02 : ?
Luinalatwen : 63 (6 m.)
Lyra Greenleaf : 361 (26 m.)
Maiden of the Dry Waterfall : ?
mark12_30 : 305
Naz : ?
Neferchoiren : 203 (3 m.)
Niluial : 264
Nurumaiel : 207 (7 m.)
peony_foxburr : 337 (18 m.)
Princess*Buttercup*Of*Rohan : 20 (20 m.)
Raefindel : 411 (48 m.)
Ranger Jewel : 35?
red : 52.5
Rochelle : 59
Salix : 11
Schmendrick : 70
Sindafalathiel : 11
Sirithheruwen : ?
Sophia the Thunder Mistress : 151
SwordMaiden of Rohan : ?
Tar-Palantir : ?
Tarvasa : 43
Tefalathiel : 233 (63 m.)
TheLadyAerowen : 458 Rivendell, Congratulations!!
The Phantom: 28
The Real Findorfin : ?
Thenamir : 127 (17 m.)
Tigerlily Gamgee : 50
Tinuviel of Denton : 188 (8 m.)
Tira O Alata : ?
Vanwalossien : 256
Vardamar : 314
Old 08-06-2003, 09:36 PM   #861
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
(Am I doing this right?)
elfearz1: I think you've got the hang of this...

When dawn came today, we were able to see the sun rising from the clouds over the mountains. We scrambled among the rocks and hills until we were near to exhaustion. The last climb was so steep that we were crawling more than walking, using our hands and arms to pull ourselves up. Our camp tonight is in an old quarry, and we are glad of our fire. The wind is from the north, and seems to blow right through our cloaks and blankets, chilling us to the bone.

--------------------

The rest of that day they spent scrambling over rocky ground...but towards the end of the day they found their road again barred by a ridge of high land...They had a choice between going back or climbing over it. They decided to attempt the climb, but it proved very difficult...The light was nearly gone, and they were all exhausted, when at last they reached the top...Night was cold up on the high ridge. They lit a small fire down under the gnarled roots of an old pine, that hung over a shallow pit: it looked as if stone had once been quarried there. They sat huddled together. The wind blew chill through the pass, and they heard the tree-tops lower down moaning and sighing.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:57 AM   #862
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Took a bit of a break from posting, but not from walking! So far I'm at 26 miles, and counting! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (I know it's not great, but it works for me!) I'm very proud of myself, because I walked 6the farthest I've ever walked in a day: 4 miles!!! (Hey, don't laugh. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ) Byeness!
Old 08-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #863
Ilsanie

Boots

Well, I haven't updated my mileage in quite some time... I am still listed as only going 5.5 miles! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] well in reality I have gone a little under 200 miles and am comfortly walking 2 miles a day to keep up with my walking plan.Well I have to get to the tennis courts right now so I better get going!

Ilsanie Maurilf [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #864
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

No one here would dream of laughing at you, Sirithheruwen - we all started at 0 miles! You're doing well, and it's nice to have you with us on the road, no matter where you are!

Nuru, thanks again for all the work you put into that list!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #865
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

We have gone far off our course in trying to escape from the Riders. We must now head southwards towards the Road or we shall have no hope of crossing the River. We came across a path that led downhill and discovered an abandoned troll-cave. Farther down we found William, Tom & Bert in a small clearing. I'll have to apologize to Bilbo when I get to Rivendell. I've heard him tell that story many times, and I always thought he was making it up.

--------------------

There stood the trolls: three large trolls...Strider walked forward unconcernedly. "Get up, old stone!" he said, and broke his stick upon the stooping troll.

Nothing happened. There was a gasp of astonishment from the hobbits, and then even Frodo laughed. "Well!" he said. "We are forgetting our family history! These must be the very three that were caught by Gandalf, quarrelling over the right way to cook thirteen dwarves and one hobbit."

"I had no idea we were anywhere near the place!" said Pippin. He knew the story well. Bilbo and Frodo had told it often; but as a matter of fact he had never more than half believed it...They all laughed. Frodo felt his spirits reviving: the reminder of Bilbo's first successful adventure was heartening.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:37 PM   #866
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Just after setting out on the road to the Last Bridge, the party of travelers was delayed by a thunderstorm, accompanied by torrents of rain. Water streamed downhill and washed across the Road in low places. They took what shelter they could in the lee of a large boulder nearby. Luckily, the storm passed quickly, and they were able to take to the Road once more.
-The Return of the King
Old 08-10-2003, 07:28 AM   #867
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

For all of my life, I never thought the trolls Bilbo always told of were real. But this morning when they came into view, I was dumbfounded and awestruck.
We have walked 388 miles.
We have found the three stone Trolls from Bilbo's adventure (384).
It is 10 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 70 miles to Rivendell.
'There are trolls!' Pippin panted. 'Down in a clearing in the woods not far below. We got a sight of them through the tree-trunks. They are very large!'
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:41 AM   #868
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Galenfea curls up under a tree root to enjoy its shade, 'and also,' she thinks with a chuckle, 'a small amount of protection from Nazgul. Urg... Too hot for walking.' as she is dropping off the sleepy silend=ce is broken by the sound of many voices singing nearby. Galenfea sticks her head up over the root and yells, "How dare you enter the king's bedroom when he's disscussing foreign policy?! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]" She then establishes that she is shouting at Gildor Inglorion and his companions. She apologises for losing her temper and asks if there are any other walkers in the vicinity. He replied that the last two had passed through about a week before.
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:12 PM   #869
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Seeing the trolls really lightened our spirits, and we walked for several miles at good speed. We hurried along the Road for the rest of the day until the light faded. We were looking for a campsite where we could be out of sight, when we heard a sound we had been dreading...hoofbeats behind us! As the rider came around the bend, I recognized my friend, Glorfindel. It was a merry meeting, as it appears Strider knows him as well. We traveled a few miles further on, before stopping for the night.

--------------------

His speech and clear ringing voice left no doubt in their hearts: the rider was of the Elven-folk..."Hail, and well met at last!" said the Elf-lord to Frodo. "I was sent from Rivendell to look for you. We feared that you were in danger upon the road."...While Glorfindel was speaking the shades of evening deepened..."You shall ride my horse," said Glorfindel..."if danger presses too near, he will bear you away with a speed that even the black steeds of the enemy cannot rival."

"No, he will not!" said Frodo. "I shall not ride him, if I am to be carried off to Rivendell or anywhere else, leaving my friends behind in danger."

Glorfindel smiled. "I doubt very much," he said, "if your friends would be in danger if you were not with them! The pursuit would follow you and leave us in peace, I think. It is you, Frodo, and that which you bear that brings us all in peril."
Old 08-10-2003, 09:31 PM   #870
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd like to greet my fellow walkers, but I'm too far behind them!
Quote:
Since they were all hobbits, and were trying to be silent, they made no noise that even hobbits would hear.
That doesn't apply to me. I crash though the woods like an ork. Yesterday I got the stangest looks when I walked to work singing 'The Road Goes Ever On And On'. I always accomplish more when I don't take it seriously! See y'all at Rivendell!
Old 08-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #871
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Pyroclastic. Are you named for a particular volcano? Maybe you're as fast as one! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I imagine you'll be catching us up in no time!
Old 08-12-2003, 08:37 PM   #872
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
I'd like to greet my fellow walkers, but I'm too far behind them!
Pyroclastic: Welcome to our journey! You're not too far behind for Elves to see and greet you. Just keep walking...you'll be in Rivendell before you know it! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Glorfindel says he has been searching for us for over a week. He came across several Riders a couple of days ago, and they were following our trail. He and Strider push us along as fast as our weary feet can go. We'd be able to go a lot faster if the 'Glorified One' had brought more than one horse with him.

--------------------

Frodo...was persuaded to mount Glorfindel's white horse. The pony was laden with a great part of the others' burdens, so that they now marched lighter, and for a time made good speed; but the hobbits began to find it hard to keep up with the swift tireless feet of the Elf. On he led them, into the mouth of darkness, and still on under the deep clouded night. There was neither star nor moon. Not until the grey of dawn did he allow them to halt. Pippin, Merry, and Sam were by that time nearly asleep on their stumbling legs; and even Strider seemed by the sag of his shoulders to be weary. Frodo sat upon the horse in a dark dream.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:38 AM   #873
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here I am, plugging away at 37 miles. I highly doubt I will make it to Rivendell on time, but I'll get there, even if it takes me until the ROTK five year aniversary!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (Though I hope it doesn't come to that! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 08-13-2003, 11:08 AM   #874
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just checking in. Have been dawdling quite a bit with with Strider and Glorfindel. Today I am skipping stones in the River Bruinen while listening to them tell of the events that took place here.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:57 AM   #875
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Here is a link to something I found hilarious. Remember how we were talking about going to Mordor, after we get to Rivendell? Here are directions. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You have walked 206 miles.
You have passed Neekerbreeker Pond (201).
You are only 5 miles from the eastern edge of the Midgewater Marshes.
You still have 252 miles to Rivendell.

Huh. I suppose the Midges don't like half elvish cats, because I didn't even realize I was in the Marshes.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:59 AM   #876
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

You have walked 228 miles.
You have reached a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills (228).
It is 18 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 230 miles to Rivendell.

The hills drew nearer. They made an undulating ridge, often rising almost to a thousand feet, and here and there falling again to low clefts or passes leading into the eastern land beyond. Along the crest of the ridge the hobbits could see what looked to be the remains of green-grown walls and dikes, and in the clefts there still stood the ruins of old works of stone. By night they had reached the feet of the westward slopes, and there they camped. It was the night of the fifth of October, and they were six days out from Bree.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Strider says only a few more miles to Weathertop. Hurrah! I've been going rather slow as of late but I still have enough time to get there before the 17th.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:04 PM   #877
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Nimnariel are you there check your mail I can't pm you right now
Eruantalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:07 PM   #878
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Your email Ok
Eruantalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:50 PM   #879
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hmmm... do we need to shimmey down the same cliff face as Frodo & Sam? I'm sure there must be an easier way to Mordor! In fact, I think I'd rather go to Minas Tirith. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rivendell is in sight. I've 18 miles to go but the weather is getting hot again and if Glorfindel thinks I can keep up with his horse he's dreaming!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #880
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Remember how we were talking about going to Mordor, after we get to Rivendell? Here are directions.
Tinuviel: Toooo funny!! I especially liked the 'recommendation' to check with local inns to see if any wars are brewing or enemies pursuing. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

We had rested for only a few hours last night when a terrific thunderstorm came up out of the East. We were quickly drenched and unable to sleep for the rest of the night. The rains continued all day, and the mud made walking wearisome. Strider and Glorfindel fear the Riders will catch us before we can reach the Ford, but we are unable to travel faster.

--------------------

The leaves blew upwards in sudden gusts of wind, and spots of rain began to fall from the overcast sky. Then the wind died away and the rain came streaming down. They trudged along as fast as they could, over patches of grass and through thick drifts of old leaves; and all about them the rain pattered and trickled. They did not talk, but kept glancing back, and from side to side.