The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #81
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Pippen's definately not the best fighter, doofus, and you know it. You're just pushing buttons now.

I was thinking more the differentiation between Faramir and Boromir. Most people would classify them as tied somewhere. But Boromir was always the fighter, whereas Faramir did not love the sword for it's sharpness, and all the rest of that long metaphor. In order to boost his way to Boromir's level (which he did, taking over his dead brother's position), Faramir had to cope with his daddy-issues, with the death of his brother, with the fact that he doesn't even like to fight, and when you look at it in the end, he's still an awesome fighter.

I'm not saying that somebody who was born to fight (or anything else really) is not fantastic. I'm just saying that somebody who worked their butt off to get to the same level... I think is automatically "better".
Old 06-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #82
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Ok, but Eowyn is nowhere near the level of the others on the list.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #83
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Sure, she's great. I'm not denying it. Heck, Eowyn's one of my favorite characters. But she's certainly not one of the best fighters. One of the most stubborn, sure; but one of the most careless as well. Being an emotional and slightly suicidal gal doesn't qualify you to rank with Aragorn, Gil-Galad, or those other guys for best fighter status.
Remember ^ ?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #84
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Why are you still talking about her in post #79?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #85
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I was talking about her only because it chanced that she was the example I used. The PM was more to encourage discussion on judgement by use of other means besides kill count.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #86
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

So you're being bold and saying that Faramir was a better fighter than Boromir?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #87
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'm saying that although Faramir could probably beat Boromir one time out of two (yes, I'm saying they're STILL tied), that because Faramir had to battle himself, and not just his enemies, to get that far, that I think he deserves more credit.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #88
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

If you want to question the original object of the fight then I'm in agreement with you!

If Faramir had to battle more demons (literal or otherwise) than Boromir then perhaps he was the better fighter.

However, I'm pretty sure we were always talking about physical hand-to-hand warrior combat, and I'd be happy to say that they were equally good.

And who says that Boromir didn't have his personal battles? He didn't take a wife, did he? That leads me to speculate. He clearly wasn't 'normal' in that sense (please realise that 'normal' here is slightly derogatory). How did that go down in Gondor? No siree Bob, it wasn't plain-sailing for Boro.